From: liz...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Plink!
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 12:01:53 +0100
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 11:01 UTC

When I came back from holiday I forgot that I had unplugged several
items from one of the multi-way mains boards that includes the power
supply for my MacBook. I went on using the MacBook for a while,
oblivious of the fact that it was running on batteries until something
went "Plink!" and it switched off.

The "Plink" sound was quite metallic, like the diaphragm in a heavy-duty
thermal switch, but I can't think of anything in the MacBook that would
make such a noise. It seemed to come from the back R.H. corner.

The only explanation I can think of is that the screen-power inverter
momentarily froze in one half-cycle and saturated the ferrite core, the
sound being caused by magnetostriction. Does anyone have any other
suggestions?

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Plink!

<kjup5hF4h8gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17644&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17644

From: daniele-...@invalid.com (D.M. Procida)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Plink!
Date: 14 Aug 2023 13:40:01 GMT
 by: D.M. Procida - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 13:40 UTC

On 14 Aug 2023 at 13:01:53 CEST, "Liz Tuddenham" <Liz Tuddenham> wrote:

> When I came back from holiday I forgot that I had unplugged several
> items from one of the multi-way mains boards that includes the power
> supply for my MacBook. I went on using the MacBook for a while,
> oblivious of the fact that it was running on batteries until something
> went "Plink!" and it switched off.
>
> The "Plink" sound was quite metallic, like the diaphragm in a heavy-duty
> thermal switch, but I can't think of anything in the MacBook that would
> make such a noise. It seemed to come from the back R.H. corner.
>
> The only explanation I can think of is that the screen-power inverter
> momentarily froze in one half-cycle and saturated the ferrite core, the
> sound being caused by magnetostriction. Does anyone have any other
> suggestions?

I couldn't guess. Maybe the sound of its soul leaving its body?

Did it work when you plugged it in again though?

Daniele

Re: Plink!

<1qfh1uq.86a4ekg60cp8N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17645&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17645

From: liz...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2023 21:20:32 +0100
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 20:20 UTC

D.M. Procida <daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 14 Aug 2023 at 13:01:53 CEST, "Liz Tuddenham" <Liz Tuddenham> wrote:
>
> > When I came back from holiday I forgot that I had unplugged several
> > items from one of the multi-way mains boards that includes the power
> > supply for my MacBook. I went on using the MacBook for a while,
> > oblivious of the fact that it was running on batteries until something
> > went "Plink!" and it switched off.
> >
> > The "Plink" sound was quite metallic, like the diaphragm in a heavy-duty
> > thermal switch, but I can't think of anything in the MacBook that would
> > make such a noise. It seemed to come from the back R.H. corner.
> >
> > The only explanation I can think of is that the screen-power inverter
> > momentarily froze in one half-cycle and saturated the ferrite core, the
> > sound being caused by magnetostriction. Does anyone have any other
> > suggestions?
>
> I couldn't guess. Maybe the sound of its soul leaving its body?
>
> Did it work when you plugged it in again though?

Yes, it charged up again and ia working now. The battery is beginning
to swell, so I suppose I should be budgeting for a new one

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Plink!

<kk0ls9Fe5dcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17646&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17646

From: bef...@eaglesoft.de (Bernd Froehlich)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 15 Aug 2023 06:56:10 GMT
 by: Bernd Froehlich - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 06:56 UTC

On 14. Aug 2023 at 22:20:32 CEST, "Liz Tuddenham" <Liz Tuddenham> wrote:

> Yes, it charged up again and ia working now. The battery is beginning
> to swell, so I suppose I should be budgeting for a new one

Try to ask nicely first.
I had a swelling battery in a 2017 MBP that was replaced at no cost.

Re: Plink!

<aHFCM.798364$Y_%7.400309@fx03.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17647&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17647

From: sar...@sarlet.com (Sara Merriman)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 07:20:38 GMT
 by: Sara Merriman - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 07:20 UTC

On 15 Aug 2023 at 07:56:10 BST, "Bernd Froehlich" <befr@eaglesoft.de> wrote:

> On 14. Aug 2023 at 22:20:32 CEST, "Liz Tuddenham" <Liz Tuddenham> wrote:
>
>> Yes, it charged up again and ia working now. The battery is beginning
>> to swell, so I suppose I should be budgeting for a new one
>
> Try to ask nicely first.
> I had a swelling battery in a 2017 MBP that was replaced at no cost.

I'm pretty sure Rog had a swollen one that was replaced by Apple way out of
warranty too.

--
Spike is a sturdy birdy

Re: Plink!

<ubgenk$2tr3l$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17649&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17649

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2023 19:04:36 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 15 Aug 2023 18:04 UTC

On 15/08/2023 08:20, Sara Merriman wrote:
> On 15 Aug 2023 at 07:56:10 BST, "Bernd Froehlich" <befr@eaglesoft.de> wrote:
>
>> On 14. Aug 2023 at 22:20:32 CEST, "Liz Tuddenham" <Liz Tuddenham> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, it charged up again and ia working now. The battery is beginning
>>> to swell, so I suppose I should be budgeting for a new one
>>
>> Try to ask nicely first.
>> I had a swelling battery in a 2017 MBP that was replaced at no cost.
>
> I'm pretty sure Rog had a swollen one that was replaced by Apple way out of
> warranty too.

We are still talking batteries?
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Plink!

<d5WCM.644227$MB_8.525053@fx01.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17653&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17653

From: sar...@sarlet.com (Sara Merriman)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 02:00:41 GMT
 by: Sara Merriman - Wed, 16 Aug 2023 02:00 UTC

On 15 Aug 2023 at 19:04:36 BST, "Graeme Wall" <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 15/08/2023 08:20, Sara Merriman wrote:

>>> Try to ask nicely first.
>>> I had a swelling battery in a 2017 MBP that was replaced at no cost.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure Rog had a swollen one that was replaced by Apple way out of
>> warranty too.
>>

> We are still talking batteries?

::eye-roll::

:)