From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: OT: Nicotine vapes
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 05:35:12 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 19:35 UTC

I figure some of you guys might be nicotine addicts. My part time
employee is Hell-bent on trying to kill himself with tobacco. He is well
on his way to an early demise, despite my continued suggestions that he
try patches, gum, meditation, or anything else to stop smoking. Nothing
works. So, I thought about nicotine vaping. Somewhat safer than smoking,
due to the lower levels of combustion products. He has been experiencing
some difficulties in obtaining nicotine vapes. I note that the black
market in nicotine vapes is healthy and growing. I figure one of you
guys may be able to point me in the right direction to assist him in
obtaining his poison of choice.

TIA

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<4i92wp0mefij$.1qbax2z7yywyb.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17765&group=aus.cars#17765

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: OT: Nicotine vapes
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 06:21:21 +1000
 by: alvey - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 20:21 UTC

On Mon, 1 Aug 2022 05:35:12 +1000, Trevor Wilson wrote:

> I figure some of you guys might be nicotine addicts. My part time
> employee is Hell-bent on trying to kill himself with tobacco. He is well
> on his way to an early demise, despite my continued suggestions that he
> try patches, gum, meditation, or anything else to stop smoking. Nothing
> works. So, I thought about nicotine vaping. Somewhat safer than smoking,
> due to the lower levels of combustion products. He has been experiencing
> some difficulties in obtaining nicotine vapes. I note that the black
> market in nicotine vapes is healthy and growing. I figure one of you
> guys may be able to point me in the right direction to assist him in
> obtaining his poison of choice.
>
> TIA

Sorry Trev. No idea.

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<tc6t1a$g7ph$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17766&group=aus.cars#17766

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 07:43:04 +1000
 by: Noddy - Sun, 31 Jul 2022 21:43 UTC

On 1/08/2022 5:35 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

> I figure some of you guys might be nicotine addicts. My part time
> employee is Hell-bent on trying to kill himself with tobacco. He is well
> on his way to an early demise, despite my continued suggestions that he
> try patches, gum, meditation, or anything else to stop smoking. Nothing
> works. So, I thought about nicotine vaping. Somewhat safer than smoking,
> due to the lower levels of combustion products. He has been experiencing
> some difficulties in obtaining nicotine vapes. I note that the black
> market in nicotine vapes is healthy and growing. I figure one of you
> guys may be able to point me in the right direction to assist him in
> obtaining his poison of choice.

The jury is still out as to whether Vaping is any "healthier" than
regular smoking, but if he wishes to Vape and is having trouble
obtaining supplies then tell him to try any shop near a public school.
Vaping is rampant in public schools, and just about any shop where lots
of school kids congregate would sell the crap.

As far as stopping smoking is concerned, if he is serious about giving
it up then tell him to try a product called Champix. It's a prescription
only medication that works by blocking the effects of Nicotine in the
body, and it's been very successful in some people. I was a hard core
smoker for 35 years and it worked for me where patches, gum and other
methods had failed. Similar results were obtained in other people I know
who used it, and to my knowledge none have returned to the habit thus
far (myself included).

He'll need to talk to a GP.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<tc766i$grfr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17774&group=aus.cars#17774

From: noth...@orthere.com (JONZ)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 10:19:30 +1000
 by: JONZ - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 00:19 UTC

On 8/1/2022 7:43 AM, Noddy wrote:
> On 1/08/2022 5:35 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>
>> I figure some of you guys might be nicotine addicts. My part time
>> employee is Hell-bent on trying to kill himself with tobacco. He is
>> well on his way to an early demise, despite my continued suggestions
>> that he try patches, gum, meditation, or anything else to stop
>> smoking. Nothing works. So, I thought about nicotine vaping. Somewhat
>> safer than smoking, due to the lower levels of combustion products. He
>> has been experiencing some difficulties in obtaining nicotine vapes. I
>> note that the black market in nicotine vapes is healthy and growing. I
>> figure one of you guys may be able to point me in the right direction
>> to assist him in obtaining his poison of choice.
>
> The jury is still out as to whether Vaping is any "healthier" than
> regular smoking, but if he wishes to Vape and is having trouble
> obtaining supplies then tell him to try any shop near a public school.
> Vaping is rampant in public schools, and just about any shop where lots
> of school kids congregate would sell the crap.
>
> As far as stopping smoking is concerned, if he is serious about giving
> it up then tell him to try a product called Champix. It's a prescription
> only medication that works by blocking the effects of Nicotine in the
> body, and it's been very successful in some people. I was a hard core
> smoker for 35 years and it worked for me where patches, gum and other
> methods had failed. Similar results were obtained in other people I know
> who used it, and to my knowledge none have returned to the habit thus
> far (myself included).
>
> He'll need to talk to a GP.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The best way to quit smoking is just that. *STOP*, Cold turkey!. Bit
of willpower involved (or maybe *won`t* power) But it worked for me.....

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<tc7agv$hhrn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17776&group=aus.cars#17776

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 11:33:17 +1000
 by: Noddy - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 01:33 UTC

On 1/08/2022 10:19 am, JONZ wrote:
> On 8/1/2022 7:43 AM, Noddy wrote:

>> As far as stopping smoking is concerned, if he is serious about giving
>> it up then tell him to try a product called Champix. It's a
>> prescription only medication that works by blocking the effects of
>> Nicotine in the body, and it's been very successful in some people. I
>> was a hard core smoker for 35 years and it worked for me where
>> patches, gum and other methods had failed. Similar results were
>> obtained in other people I know who used it, and to my knowledge none
>> have returned to the habit thus far (myself included).
>>
>> He'll need to talk to a GP.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>  The best way to quit smoking is just that. *STOP*, Cold turkey!. Bit
> of willpower involved (or maybe *won`t* power) But it worked for me.....

Well done. That's a hard way to do it, but if it worked for you then
that's clearly what you needed to do.

Unfortunately like many things in life there is no effective solution
that works for everyone. I tried many things before I gave up for good,
and at one point I stopped for about 18 months using patches before
getting back on the durries as I found that while the patches fed the
Nicotine addiction they never stopped the craving. I was doing okay on
the patches until one night going to a party where there was lots of
drinking and smoking I had a few bevvies and a puff of a ciggie and
before the night was over I was smoking again as if I never stopped and
the last 18 months meant nothing.

The difficult part in getting back on the smokes after an 18 month break
was that I found that I was actually enjoying smoking more than ever
before which made it even harder to quit. I smoked again for another 5
years before talking to my Doctor who recommended the Champix, and
fortunately they worked fantastically well. It's a 3 month course where
you introduce the tablet in conjunction with a gradual reduction of your
cigarette intake until you reach the point of equilibrium and the
nicotine no longer has any effect on the brain. From that point the
focus is on eliminating the "hand to mouth" habit until you eventually
get to the point where you have no desire at all.

The people who make Champix, which I think is Pfizer, claim a better
than 60% success rate, and it certainly worked well for me. It's been
over ten years now since I last smoked, and I'm at the point now where I
find the smell of cigarettes off-putting. Not that I'm bothered if I
happen to be anywhere around people who smoke, but the difference now is
that in previous times where I would have smelled other people's smoke
and wanted to have one I now find the smell of their smoke to unappealing.

Hopefully it will stay that way forever.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<6tdeeh5e6g072seumg9olokk4ihcbramqr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17788&group=aus.cars#17788

From: john4...@hotmail.com (John_H)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 12:30:31 +1000
 by: John_H - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 02:30 UTC

Trevor Wilson wrote:

>I figure some of you guys might be nicotine addicts. My part time
>employee is Hell-bent on trying to kill himself with tobacco. He is well
>on his way to an early demise, despite my continued suggestions that he
>try patches, gum, meditation, or anything else to stop smoking. Nothing
>works. So, I thought about nicotine vaping. Somewhat safer than smoking,
>due to the lower levels of combustion products. He has been experiencing
>some difficulties in obtaining nicotine vapes. I note that the black
>market in nicotine vapes is healthy and growing. I figure one of you
>guys may be able to point me in the right direction to assist him in
>obtaining his poison of choice.

It won't work, judging by a few I know who've tried it and gone back
to fags.

I gave up smoking many, many years ago, after trying nicotine gum,
patches etc which didn't work either.

Best advice I had from an ex smoker, which sounded a bit cryptic at
the time, was... "You've got to think of yourself as a non smoker."

IOW it's mindset, and it certaily worked for me (I went cold turkey
and never looked back). Only catch is you've gotta be motivated to
start with.

Nor was I ever tempted to smoke again, which is the mistake many make.
Nicotine is like alcohol, and may other drugs, in that once adicted
you're always adicted. One slip up and you're back to where you
started.

--
John H

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<jkoss1Fqi2jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17789&group=aus.cars#17789

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 12:42:06 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 02:42 UTC

On 1/8/2022 12:30 pm, John_H wrote:
> Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>
>> I figure some of you guys might be nicotine addicts. My part time
>> employee is Hell-bent on trying to kill himself with tobacco. He is well
>> on his way to an early demise, despite my continued suggestions that he
>> try patches, gum, meditation, or anything else to stop smoking. Nothing
>> works. So, I thought about nicotine vaping. Somewhat safer than smoking,
>> due to the lower levels of combustion products. He has been experiencing
>> some difficulties in obtaining nicotine vapes. I note that the black
>> market in nicotine vapes is healthy and growing. I figure one of you
>> guys may be able to point me in the right direction to assist him in
>> obtaining his poison of choice.
>
> It won't work, judging by a few I know who've tried it and gone back
> to fags.

True that!

> I gave up smoking many, many years ago, after trying nicotine gum,
> patches etc which didn't work either.
>
> Best advice I had from an ex smoker, which sounded a bit cryptic at
> the time, was... "You've got to think of yourself as a non smoker."
>
> IOW it's mindset, and it certaily worked for me (I went cold turkey
> and never looked back). Only catch is you've gotta be motivated to
> start with.

First start with really really wanting to give up on smoking. External
motivation usually won't work. The motivation has to be internal and
sustained. That said, my brother's motivation was his son's asthma
diagnosis. He gave up immediately upon being made aware of the situation
and never looked back. Best results are obtained by the people who give
up mid-packet, not by those who tell themselves, "I'll just finish this
packet off!".

> Nor was I ever tempted to smoke again, which is the mistake many make.
> Nicotine is like alcohol, and may other drugs, in that once adicted
> you're always adicted. One slip up and you're back to where you
> started.

And a stressful situation is all it takes to set one off again.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<jkp2ufFrehcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17793&group=aus.cars#17793

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 14:25:49 +1000
 by: Daryl - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 04:25 UTC

On 1/8/2022 10:19 am, JONZ wrote:
> On 8/1/2022 7:43 AM, Noddy wrote:
>> On 1/08/2022 5:35 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> I figure some of you guys might be nicotine addicts. My part time
>>> employee is Hell-bent on trying to kill himself with tobacco. He is
>>> well on his way to an early demise, despite my continued suggestions
>>> that he try patches, gum, meditation, or anything else to stop
>>> smoking. Nothing works. So, I thought about nicotine vaping. Somewhat
>>> safer than smoking, due to the lower levels of combustion products.
>>> He has been experiencing some difficulties in obtaining nicotine
>>> vapes. I note that the black market in nicotine vapes is healthy and
>>> growing. I figure one of you guys may be able to point me in the
>>> right direction to assist him in obtaining his poison of choice.
>>
>> The jury is still out as to whether Vaping is any "healthier" than
>> regular smoking, but if he wishes to Vape and is having trouble
>> obtaining supplies then tell him to try any shop near a public school.
>> Vaping is rampant in public schools, and just about any shop where
>> lots of school kids congregate would sell the crap.
>>
>> As far as stopping smoking is concerned, if he is serious about giving
>> it up then tell him to try a product called Champix. It's a
>> prescription only medication that works by blocking the effects of
>> Nicotine in the body, and it's been very successful in some people. I
>> was a hard core smoker for 35 years and it worked for me where
>> patches, gum and other methods had failed. Similar results were
>> obtained in other people I know who used it, and to my knowledge none
>> have returned to the habit thus far (myself included).
>>
>> He'll need to talk to a GP.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>  The best way to quit smoking is just that. *STOP*, Cold turkey!. Bit
> of willpower involved (or maybe *won`t* power) But it worked for me.....

That worked for me too but I was only 20yrs old almost 50yrs ago so
being young may have helped, I remember replacing cigarettes with
Lifesaver and other sweets, saved my lungs but wrecked my teeth:-)

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<jkp35vFrfh0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17794&group=aus.cars#17794

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 14:29:49 +1000
 by: Daryl - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 04:29 UTC

On 1/8/2022 11:33 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 1/08/2022 10:19 am, JONZ wrote:
>> On 8/1/2022 7:43 AM, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> As far as stopping smoking is concerned, if he is serious about
>>> giving it up then tell him to try a product called Champix. It's a
>>> prescription only medication that works by blocking the effects of
>>> Nicotine in the body, and it's been very successful in some people. I
>>> was a hard core smoker for 35 years and it worked for me where
>>> patches, gum and other methods had failed. Similar results were
>>> obtained in other people I know who used it, and to my knowledge none
>>> have returned to the habit thus far (myself included).
>>>
>>> He'll need to talk to a GP.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>>   The best way to quit smoking is just that. *STOP*, Cold turkey!. Bit
>> of willpower involved (or maybe *won`t* power) But it worked for me.....
>
> Well done. That's a hard way to do it, but if it worked for you then
> that's clearly what you needed to do.
>
> Unfortunately like many things in life there is no effective solution
> that works for everyone. I tried many things before I gave up for good,
> and at one point I stopped for about 18 months using patches before
> getting back on the durries as I found that while the patches fed the
> Nicotine addiction they never stopped the craving. I was doing okay on
> the patches until one night going to a party where there was lots of
> drinking and smoking I had a few bevvies and a puff of a ciggie and
> before the night was over I was smoking again as if I never stopped and
> the last 18 months meant nothing.
>
> The difficult part in getting back on the smokes after an 18 month break
> was that I found that I was actually enjoying smoking more than ever
> before which made it even harder to quit. I smoked again for another 5
> years before talking to my Doctor who recommended the Champix, and
> fortunately they worked fantastically well. It's a 3 month course where
> you introduce the tablet in conjunction with a gradual reduction of your
> cigarette intake until you reach the point of equilibrium and the
> nicotine no longer has any effect on the brain. From that point the
> focus is on eliminating the "hand to mouth" habit until you eventually
> get to the point where you have no desire at all.
>
> The people who make Champix, which I think is Pfizer, claim a better
> than 60% success rate, and it certainly worked well for me. It's been
> over ten years now since I last smoked, and I'm at the point now where I
> find the smell of cigarettes off-putting. Not that I'm bothered if I
> happen to be anywhere around people who smoke, but the difference now is
> that in previous times where I would have smelled other people's smoke
> and wanted to have one I now find the smell of their smoke to unappealing.
>
> Hopefully it will stay that way forever.

People are strange creatures, friends daughter in law gave up smoking as
soon as she found out she was pregnant but started again within days of
the baby being born, I would have thought that since she was able to
give them up for 9 months it should be easy enough to stop forever but
apparently not.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<tc7qn2$nvje$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17797&group=aus.cars#17797

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 14:09:37 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 06:09 UTC

On 1/08/2022 3:35 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> I figure some of you guys might be nicotine addicts. My part time
> employee is Hell-bent on trying to kill himself with tobacco. He is well
> on his way to an early demise, despite my continued suggestions that he
> try patches, gum, meditation, or anything else to stop smoking. Nothing
> works. So, I thought about nicotine vaping. Somewhat safer than smoking,
> due to the lower levels of combustion products. He has been experiencing
> some difficulties in obtaining nicotine vapes. I note that the black
> market in nicotine vapes is healthy and growing. I figure one of you
> guys may be able to point me in the right direction to assist him in
> obtaining his poison of choice.
>
> TIA

Vaping is no healthier nor will it help quit smoking. I tried gum and
patches etc but the only thing that worked was to stop cold turkey with
a new packet sitting in the pantry.

I motivated myself mentally by feeling every urge to light up as
cigarette companies willing me to smoke and control me. The stronger the
urge the more resistant I became to lighting up, determined not to let
them win.

I won, gave up (it takes a long time before the urges subside though)
and never looked back.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<YcKFK.1168239$pqD1.17868@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17798&group=aus.cars#17798

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: Nop...@nunnya.biz.au (lindsay)
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 16:16:22 +1000
 by: lindsay - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 06:16 UTC

On 1/08/2022 5:35 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> I figure some of you guys might be nicotine addicts. My part time
> employee is Hell-bent on trying to kill himself with tobacco. He is well
> on his way to an early demise, despite my continued suggestions that he
> try patches, gum, meditation, or anything else to stop smoking. Nothing
> works. So, I thought about nicotine vaping. Somewhat safer than smoking,
> due to the lower levels of combustion products. He has been experiencing
> some difficulties in obtaining nicotine vapes. I note that the black
> market in nicotine vapes is healthy and growing. I figure one of you
> guys may be able to point me in the right direction to assist him in
> obtaining his poison of choice.
>
> TIA

I was on 60 smokes a day, 23 years ago.. Things started getting a bit
tight financially, (mortgage, child care, other sundry expenses) and the
first to go was the smokes. Doc gave me a script for a pill called
Zyban. Worked a treat. But you do need to want to give up. My prod was
the amount of tax i was paying the govt in every pack of smokes. Fuck
'em, they get enough of my hard-earned, then AND now.

Havent had a puff since. Thought about it a couple of times, then
thought of the tax. Never going back.

As for vapes, havent people been dropping dead recently? lung cancer
from cigs takes a while, people who've been vaping a couple of years
have been carking it recently....

--
"If his story wasn't total and utter bullshit, it would be a doddle for
him to get the info. Trouble is, he was never involved in the incident.

"I was never in doubt that the accident took place." xeno 12/08/18

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<jkpagkFshlgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17799&group=aus.cars#17799

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 16:34:57 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 06:34 UTC

On 1/8/2022 4:09 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 1/08/2022 3:35 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> I figure some of you guys might be nicotine addicts. My part time
>> employee is Hell-bent on trying to kill himself with tobacco. He is
>> well on his way to an early demise, despite my continued suggestions
>> that he try patches, gum, meditation, or anything else to stop
>> smoking. Nothing works. So, I thought about nicotine vaping. Somewhat
>> safer than smoking, due to the lower levels of combustion products. He
>> has been experiencing some difficulties in obtaining nicotine vapes. I
>> note that the black market in nicotine vapes is healthy and growing. I
>> figure one of you guys may be able to point me in the right direction
>> to assist him in obtaining his poison of choice.
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Vaping is no healthier nor will it help quit smoking. I tried gum and
> patches etc but the only thing that worked was to stop cold turkey with
> a new packet sitting in the pantry.
>
> I motivated myself mentally by feeling every urge to light up as
> cigarette companies willing me to smoke and control me. The stronger the
> urge the more resistant I became to lighting up, determined not to let
> them win.
>
> I won, gave up (it takes a long time before the urges subside though)
> and never looked back.

I never started smoking so never had to give up the habit. Peer pressure
was hell once I turned 16 and was *legally* able to smoke. Managed to
resist it however. Funny thing, I was one of very few non-smokers in my
peer group in my teens - and pilloried. My how that has changed, now
smokers are in the minority and are the pilloried ones. It'd definitely
socially unacceptable to be a smoker these days - and that can only be a
good thing.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<jkpb77Fsl32U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17800&group=aus.cars#17800

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 16:47:03 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 06:47 UTC

On 1/08/2022 2:25 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 1/8/2022 10:19 am, JONZ wrote:

>>> The jury is still out as to whether Vaping is any "healthier" than
>>> regular smoking, but if he wishes to Vape and is having trouble
>>> obtaining supplies then tell him to try any shop near a public
>>> school. Vaping is rampant in public schools, and just about any shop
>>> where lots of school kids congregate would sell the crap.
>>>
>>> As far as stopping smoking is concerned, if he is serious about
>>> giving it up then tell him to try a product called Champix. It's a
>>> prescription only medication that works by blocking the effects of
>>> Nicotine in the body, and it's been very successful in some people. I
>>> was a hard core smoker for 35 years and it worked for me where
>>> patches, gum and other methods had failed. Similar results were
>>> obtained in other people I know who used it, and to my knowledge none
>>> have returned to the habit thus far (myself included).
>>>
>>> He'll need to talk to a GP.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>>   The best way to quit smoking is just that. *STOP*, Cold turkey!. Bit
>> of willpower involved (or maybe *won`t* power) But it worked for me.....
>>>

> That worked for me too but I was only 20yrs old almost 50yrs ago so
> being young may have helped, I remember replacing cigarettes with
> Lifesaver and other sweets, saved my lungs but wrecked my teeth:-)

I think that I said it before, I gave it up cold turkey, but at a time
when I was finishing up with one job and changing to another, a break in
life seemed a good time to make a change in habit.

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<tc7vc5$grfr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17804&group=aus.cars#17804

From: noth...@orthere.com (JONZ)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 17:29:08 +1000
 by: JONZ - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 07:29 UTC

On 8/1/2022 2:25 PM, Daryl wrote:
> On 1/8/2022 10:19 am, JONZ wrote:

>>> The jury is still out as to whether Vaping is any "healthier" than
>>> regular smoking, but if he wishes to Vape and is having trouble
>>> obtaining supplies then tell him to try any shop near a public
>>> school. Vaping is rampant in public schools, and just about any shop
>>> where lots of school kids congregate would sell the crap.
>>>
>>> As far as stopping smoking is concerned, if he is serious about
>>> giving it up then tell him to try a product called Champix. It's a
>>> prescription only medication that works by blocking the effects of
>>> Nicotine in the body, and it's been very successful in some people. I
>>> was a hard core smoker for 35 years and it worked for me where
>>> patches, gum and other methods had failed. Similar results were
>>> obtained in other people I know who used it, and to my knowledge none
>>> have returned to the habit thus far (myself included).
>>>
>>> He'll need to talk to a GP.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>>   The best way to quit smoking is just that. *STOP*, Cold turkey!. Bit
>> of willpower involved (or maybe *won`t* power) But it worked for me.....
>>>

> That worked for me too but I was only 20yrs old almost 50yrs ago so
> being young may have helped, I remember replacing cigarettes with
> Lifesaver and other sweets, saved my lungs but wrecked my teeth:-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Both the ex and I had the flu. so thought it a good time to try and
quit! (nearly 40yrs ago and three packs of winnie reds a day) Bit hard
in the early days, but got there. Smoked a joint or two since then
tho.However don`t bother with that anymore either. :))).
BTW, Just checked price of Winfield 25's, $40.95. Farrrk!!.

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<jkpr31FjoiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17812&group=aus.cars#17812

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 21:17:53 +1000
 by: Daryl - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 11:17 UTC

On 1/8/2022 5:29 pm, JONZ wrote:
> On 8/1/2022 2:25 PM, Daryl wrote:

>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>
>>>   The best way to quit smoking is just that. *STOP*, Cold turkey!.
>>> Bit of willpower involved (or maybe *won`t* power) But it worked for
>>> me.....
>>>>

>> That worked for me too but I was only 20yrs old almost 50yrs ago so
>> being young may have helped, I remember replacing cigarettes with
>> Lifesaver and other sweets, saved my lungs but wrecked my teeth:-)
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>  Both the ex and I had the flu. so thought it a good time to try and
> quit! (nearly 40yrs ago and three packs of winnie reds a day) Bit hard
> in the early days, but got there. Smoked a joint or two since then
> tho.However don`t bother with that anymore either. :))).
>  BTW, Just checked price of Winfield 25's, $40.95. Farrrk!!.

Don't know how anyone can afford to smoke.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<tc8ibe$tt6i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17813&group=aus.cars#17813

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 22:53:01 +1000
 by: Noddy - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 12:53 UTC

On 1/08/2022 9:17 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 1/8/2022 5:29 pm, JONZ wrote:

>>   Both the ex and I had the flu. so thought it a good time to try and
>> quit! (nearly 40yrs ago and three packs of winnie reds a day) Bit hard
>> in the early days, but got there. Smoked a joint or two since then
>> tho.However don`t bother with that anymore either. :))).
>>   BTW, Just checked price of Winfield 25's, $40.95. Farrrk!!.
>>>

> Don't know how anyone can afford to smoke.

Yep. Last time I looked at the supermarket while I was waiting to buy a
paper a carton of Peter Styvesant soft top 20's was 330 bucks :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<jkq66jF2bvnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17814&group=aus.cars#17814

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 00:27:38 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 14:27 UTC

On 01-Aug-22 4:09 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 1/08/2022 3:35 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> I figure some of you guys might be nicotine addicts. My part time
>> employee is Hell-bent on trying to kill himself with tobacco. He is
>> well on his way to an early demise, despite my continued suggestions
>> that he try patches, gum, meditation, or anything else to stop
>> smoking. Nothing works. So, I thought about nicotine vaping. Somewhat
>> safer than smoking, due to the lower levels of combustion products. He
>> has been experiencing some difficulties in obtaining nicotine vapes. I
>> note that the black market in nicotine vapes is healthy and growing. I
>> figure one of you guys may be able to point me in the right direction
>> to assist him in obtaining his poison of choice.
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Vaping is no healthier nor will it help quit smoking.

Nicotine itself is certainly not harmless, but I find it difficult to
believe that there is no benefit to avoiding the inhalation of
carcinogenic combustion products.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<jkqo9uF5e3fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17815&group=aus.cars#17815

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 05:36:29 +1000
 by: Daryl - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 19:36 UTC

On 2/8/2022 12:27 am, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 01-Aug-22 4:09 pm, Clocky wrote:
>> On 1/08/2022 3:35 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> I figure some of you guys might be nicotine addicts. My part time
>>> employee is Hell-bent on trying to kill himself with tobacco. He is
>>> well on his way to an early demise, despite my continued suggestions
>>> that he try patches, gum, meditation, or anything else to stop
>>> smoking. Nothing works. So, I thought about nicotine vaping. Somewhat
>>> safer than smoking, due to the lower levels of combustion products.
>>> He has been experiencing some difficulties in obtaining nicotine
>>> vapes. I note that the black market in nicotine vapes is healthy and
>>> growing. I figure one of you guys may be able to point me in the
>>> right direction to assist him in obtaining his poison of choice.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> Vaping is no healthier nor will it help quit smoking.
>
> Nicotine itself is certainly not harmless, but I find it difficult to
> believe that there is no benefit to avoiding the inhalation of
> carcinogenic combustion products.

Possibly too early to tell if it is harmful but I doubt that its healthy
to suck anything into your lungs apart from clean air.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<bvjgeh9gbafhak1s9k39us6odro0n0frlq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17818&group=aus.cars#17818

From: john4...@hotmail.com (John_H)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 08:16:12 +1000
 by: John_H - Mon, 1 Aug 2022 22:16 UTC

Xeno wrote:
>On 1/8/2022 12:30 pm, John_H wrote:
>
>> Best advice I had from an ex smoker, which sounded a bit cryptic at
>> the time, was... "You've got to think of yourself as a non smoker."
>>
>> IOW it's mindset, and it certaily worked for me (I went cold turkey
>> and never looked back). Only catch is you've gotta be motivated to
>> start with.

>First start with really really wanting to give up on smoking. External
>motivation usually won't work. The motivation has to be internal and
>sustained. That said, my brother's motivation was his son's asthma
>diagnosis. He gave up immediately upon being made aware of the situation
>and never looked back. Best results are obtained by the people who give
>up mid-packet, not by those who tell themselves, "I'll just finish this
>packet off!".

My motivation was an insurance company owned by a tobacco company
penalising smokers wanting life assurance. At the time tobacco
companies were still claiming smoking wasn't harmful to health.

The cost ought be sufficient motivation today (ice is probably
cheaper). :)
>> Nor was I ever tempted to smoke again, which is the mistake many make.
>> Nicotine is like alcohol, and may other drugs, in that once adicted
>> you're always adicted. One slip up and you're back to where you
>> started.
>And a stressful situation is all it takes to set one off again.

Wasn't affected in that way. Not long after quitting I copped a very
hard time from a bank (henceforth known as the scumbank) as a result
of the recession we had to have. It resulted in a touch of depression
but I wasn't ever tempted by smokes (or any other substance).

Used to work with someone we called Aspro... a harmless dope.
There's no such thing. :)

--
John H

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<mk1heh5b67k2enp5ogfmruojv37pmovcie@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17822&group=aus.cars#17822

From: john4...@hotmail.com (John_H)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2022 12:10:55 +1000
 by: John_H - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 02:10 UTC

Daryl wrote:

>People are strange creatures, friends daughter in law gave up smoking as
>soon as she found out she was pregnant but started again within days of
>the baby being born, I would have thought that since she was able to
>give them up for 9 months it should be easy enough to stop forever but
>apparently not.

People have different tolerances to addictive substances.

Wife smoked when were married, mainly on social occasions, but gave it
up throughout two pregnancies and restarted after the offspring were
weaned. Gave it up completely, with no difficulty at all, shortly
after I did and hasn't smoked since.

Similar with alcohol. Got a mate, a retired research scientist, who's
consumed at least 8 standard drinks a day for years (he can afford it)
with no apparent ill effects (he's fitter than I am). His first wife
died years ago, as an alcoholic.

He also claims, correctly I believe, that the recommended 2 standard
drinks a day is completely arbitrary. IIRC his story is it was
originally adopted by the British Medical Association with no
supporting evidence whatsoever and then copied here.

--
John H

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<jkrgkaF91idU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17827&group=aus.cars#17827

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 12:31:37 +1000
 by: Xeno - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 02:31 UTC

On 2/8/2022 12:10 pm, John_H wrote:
> Daryl wrote:
>>
>> People are strange creatures, friends daughter in law gave up smoking as
>> soon as she found out she was pregnant but started again within days of
>> the baby being born, I would have thought that since she was able to
>> give them up for 9 months it should be easy enough to stop forever but
>> apparently not.
>
> People have different tolerances to addictive substances.
>
> Wife smoked when were married, mainly on social occasions, but gave it
> up throughout two pregnancies and restarted after the offspring were
> weaned. Gave it up completely, with no difficulty at all, shortly
> after I did and hasn't smoked since.

It's harder to stop smoking if everyone around you still does and it
becomes part of a social routine.

> Similar with alcohol. Got a mate, a retired research scientist, who's
> consumed at least 8 standard drinks a day for years (he can afford it)
> with no apparent ill effects (he's fitter than I am). His first wife
> died years ago, as an alcoholic.
>
> He also claims, correctly I believe, that the recommended 2 standard
> drinks a day is completely arbitrary. IIRC his story is it was
> originally adopted by the British Medical Association with no
> supporting evidence whatsoever and then copied here.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<tca87c$191am$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17834&group=aus.cars#17834

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 12:12:29 +0800
 by: Clocky - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 04:12 UTC

On 1/08/2022 10:27 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 01-Aug-22 4:09 pm, Clocky wrote:
>> On 1/08/2022 3:35 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> I figure some of you guys might be nicotine addicts. My part time
>>> employee is Hell-bent on trying to kill himself with tobacco. He is
>>> well on his way to an early demise, despite my continued suggestions
>>> that he try patches, gum, meditation, or anything else to stop
>>> smoking. Nothing works. So, I thought about nicotine vaping. Somewhat
>>> safer than smoking, due to the lower levels of combustion products.
>>> He has been experiencing some difficulties in obtaining nicotine
>>> vapes. I note that the black market in nicotine vapes is healthy and
>>> growing. I figure one of you guys may be able to point me in the
>>> right direction to assist him in obtaining his poison of choice.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> Vaping is no healthier nor will it help quit smoking.
>
> Nicotine itself is certainly not harmless, but I find it difficult to
> believe that there is no benefit to avoiding the inhalation of
> carcinogenic combustion products.
>
> Sylvia.

Are you assuming what you are breathing in instead is safe?
I wouldn't.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if
it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<jkv7e6Fr4lnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17929&group=aus.cars#17929

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 22:19:29 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 12:19 UTC

On 02-Aug-22 2:12 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 1/08/2022 10:27 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:

>>> Vaping is no healthier nor will it help quit smoking.
>>
>> Nicotine itself is certainly not harmless, but I find it difficult to
>> believe that there is no benefit to avoiding the inhalation of
>> carcinogenic combustion products.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>

> Are you assuming what you are breathing in instead is safe?
> I wouldn't.

Unless they go out of their way to make it dangerous, it's probably
safer than inhaling the result of burning leaves.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<tcdsbu$28be3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17933&group=aus.cars#17933

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 21:14:35 +0800
 by: Clocky - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 13:14 UTC

On 3/08/2022 8:19 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 02-Aug-22 2:12 pm, Clocky wrote:

>>> Nicotine itself is certainly not harmless, but I find it difficult to
>>> believe that there is no benefit to avoiding the inhalation of
>>> carcinogenic combustion products.
>>>
>>> Sylvia.
>>

>> Are you assuming what you are breathing in instead is safe?
>> I wouldn't.
>
> Unless they go out of their way to make it dangerous, it's probably
> safer than inhaling the result of burning leaves.
>
> Sylvia.

Safer does not mean it's safe. The effect of long term vaping and not
really knowing what toxins and chemicals you're breathing in make that
far from a certainty.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if
it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes

<ZWpOK.781818$5fVf.20138@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18334&group=aus.cars#18334

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: hagg...@hotmail.com (F Murtz)
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 00:33:29 +1000
 by: F Murtz - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 14:33 UTC

On 1/8/22 10:19, JONZ wrote:
> On 8/1/2022 7:43 AM, Noddy wrote:
>> On 1/08/2022 5:35 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> I figure some of you guys might be nicotine addicts. My part time
>>> employee is Hell-bent on trying to kill himself with tobacco. He is
>>> well on his way to an early demise, despite my continued suggestions
>>> that he try patches, gum, meditation, or anything else to stop
>>> smoking. Nothing works. So, I thought about nicotine vaping. Somewhat
>>> safer than smoking, due to the lower levels of combustion products.
>>> He has been experiencing some difficulties in obtaining nicotine
>>> vapes. I note that the black market in nicotine vapes is healthy and
>>> growing. I figure one of you guys may be able to point me in the
>>> right direction to assist him in obtaining his poison of choice.
>>
>> The jury is still out as to whether Vaping is any "healthier" than
>> regular smoking, but if he wishes to Vape and is having trouble
>> obtaining supplies then tell him to try any shop near a public school.
>> Vaping is rampant in public schools, and just about any shop where
>> lots of school kids congregate would sell the crap.
>>
>> As far as stopping smoking is concerned, if he is serious about giving
>> it up then tell him to try a product called Champix. It's a
>> prescription only medication that works by blocking the effects of
>> Nicotine in the body, and it's been very successful in some people. I
>> was a hard core smoker for 35 years and it worked for me where
>> patches, gum and other methods had failed. Similar results were
>> obtained in other people I know who used it, and to my knowledge none
>> have returned to the habit thus far (myself included).
>>
>> He'll need to talk to a GP.
>
>  The best way to quit smoking is just that. *STOP*, Cold turkey!. Bit
> of willpower involved (or maybe *won`t* power) But it worked for me.....

and me 60+ years ago