Neutrinos are into physicists.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Genuine post ..... or a spoof?

SubjectAuthor
* Genuine post ..... or a spoof?David Brooks
`* Re: Genuine post ..... or a spoof?Jörg Lorenz
 +* Re: Genuine post ..... or a spoof?Alan B
 |`- Re: Genuine post ..... or a spoof?Jörg Lorenz
 `* Re: Genuine post ..... or a spoof?David Brooks
  `- Re: Genuine post ..... or a spoof?David Brooks

1
Genuine post ..... or a spoof?

<ZNeKM.273676$8_8a.148235@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17884&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17884

Subject: Genuine post ..... or a spoof?
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: BDB...@invalid.invalid.uk (David Brooks)
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 08:17:13 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 07:17 UTC

On 07/09/2023 08:14, David Brooks wrote:
> What do YOU think?
>
> https://www.mac-forums.com/threads/how-did-3rd-party-apps-not-available-on-the-apple-store-get-on-my-brand-new-2021-mac.369271/
>
> Comments invited!

Sharing with the UK's Apple experts!

David

Re: Genuine post ..... or a spoof?

<udc0l5$oo7i$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17886&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17886

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Genuine post ..... or a spoof?
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 10:12:21 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 08:12 UTC

Am 07.09.23 um 09:17 schrieb David Brooks:
> On 07/09/2023 08:14, David Brooks wrote:
>> What do YOU think?
>>
>> https://www.mac-forums.com/threads/how-did-3rd-party-apps-not-available-on-the-apple-store-get-on-my-brand-new-2021-mac.369271/
>>
>> Comments invited!
>
> Sharing with the UK's Apple experts!

In such a case a reasonable user either reinstalls the mac OS or sends
the computer back to the seller. Under no circumstances he should have
tried to use it. This Mac was not factory new, end of story.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: Genuine post ..... or a spoof?

<udc1ob$2u14l$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17887&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17887

From: alanrich...@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 08:31:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 08:31 UTC

Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am 07.09.23 um 09:17 schrieb David Brooks:
>> On 07/09/2023 08:14, David Brooks wrote:
>>> What do YOU think?
>>>
>>> https://www.mac-forums.com/threads/how-did-3rd-party-apps-not-available-on-the-apple-store-get-on-my-brand-new-2021-mac.369271/
>>>
>>> Comments invited!
>>
>> Sharing with the UK's Apple experts!
>
> In such a case a reasonable user either reinstalls the mac OS or sends
> the computer back to the seller. Under no circumstances he should have
> tried to use it. This Mac was not factory new, end of story.

Why do you continue to respond to that attention seeking troll? Welcome to
my kill file.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Genuine post ..... or a spoof?

<udc38l$opm8$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17888&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17888

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 10:56:53 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 08:56 UTC

Am 07.09.23 um 10:31 schrieb Alan B:
> Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:

>>> Sharing with the UK's Apple experts!
>>
>> In such a case a reasonable user either reinstalls the mac OS or sends
>> the computer back to the seller. Under no circumstances he should have
>> tried to use it. This Mac was not factory new, end of story.
>
> Why do you continue to respond to that attention seeking troll? Welcome to
> my kill file.

You blame me and what are you doing?
Killfile: Intelligent people plonk silently and believe me I couldn't
care less.

--
Alea iacta est

Re: Genuine post ..... or a spoof?

<f9jKM.273680$8_8a.248570@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17891&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17891

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: BDB...@invalid.invalid.uk (David Brooks)
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 13:15:07 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 12:15 UTC

On 07/09/2023 09:12, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 07.09.23 um 09:17 schrieb David Brooks:
>> On 07/09/2023 08:14, David Brooks wrote:
>>> What do YOU think?
>>>
>>> https://www.mac-forums.com/threads/how-did-3rd-party-apps-not-available-on-the-apple-store-get-on-my-brand-new-2021-mac.369271/
>>>
>>> Comments invited!
>>
>> Sharing with the UK's Apple experts!
>
> In such a case a reasonable user either reinstalls the mac OS or sends
> the computer back to the seller. Under no circumstances he should have
> tried to use it. This Mac was not factory new, end of story.

I did follow this up, Jörg!

Joe later said ......

"Hello, B. Yes, I am the same Joe C. who posted to the MacForum several
months ago about the same episode. Apple Support worked with me for
several weeks, first benumbed by my report and what they found via
remote monitoring of my Mac in use, then manually deleting a bunch of
ClamXAV files (which helped a bit temporarily), finally by remotely
stripping my 500GB Flashdrive and doing a full reinstall of the OS and
my apps. I managed retrieval of my datafiles from iCloud storage,
reformatted my G-Drive Time Machine backup drive and started it over
from zero.

That seems to have done the job. My Mac has been fast and flawless since
-- possibly until last week, when it started again to take upwards of a
minute to boot from switch on to PW screen (normally a 20 second wait)
and, at the PW screen, failed to recognize its Magic Keyboard. This has
happened several times in the past week, although not consistently. A
hard reboot was required, which cleared the problem, typically (but not
always) on the first try.

This is exactly how the problem first manifest itself with ClamXAV
installed; it then quickly progressed to near unusability.

This time around, I am monitoring the state of charge in both the Magic
Keyboard and the Magic Trackpad more carefully than I did the first
time. It may be that a charge state below 80% precipitates the problem.
Both peripherals are fully charged; if the problem recurs before either
falls to 80% charge (particularly the KB), I will contact Apple Customer
Relations and request a replacement Mac. I'll let you know how it goes.

No, I am not "spinning a line." (That means "pulling the wool over your
eyes," right? Two great countries separated by a common language.... :-)

REF:-
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/what-is-the-likelihood-of-a-brand-new-imac-having-been-compromised-in-china.2345760/page-2

POST 38

--
David

Re: Genuine post ..... or a spoof?

<pGnKM.1048392$SuUf.722785@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17898&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17898

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.computer.workshop
From: BDB...@invalid.invalid.uk (David Brooks)
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2023 18:23:33 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 17:23 UTC

Sharing with ACW 😃