I'd just as soon kiss a Wookie. -- Princess Leia Organa

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / SanDisk Portable SSD

SubjectAuthor
* SanDisk Portable SSDPeter James
`* Re: SanDisk Portable SSDf
 `* Re: SanDisk Portable SSDPeter James
  +- Re: SanDisk Portable SSDTheo
  +* Re: SanDisk Portable SSDBruce Horrocks
  |`* Re: SanDisk Portable SSDPeter James
  | `- Re: SanDisk Portable SSDMark Bestley
  `* Re: SanDisk Portable SSDJaimie Vandenbergh
   `- Re: SanDisk Portable SSDDavid Brooks

1
SanDisk Portable SSD

<km8t4cF5drkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17921&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17921

From: pfjames...@gmail.com (Peter James)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: SanDisk Portable SSD
Date: 11 Sep 2023 16:21:32 GMT
 by: Peter James - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 16:21 UTC

My MacBook Air M2 HD 245.11 GB is nigh on full, and on the advice of my local
Mac shop, Newquay, I purchased a SanDisk Portable SSD of 1TB.

I have two problems with it. I want to move to it certain Apple programs like
Automata, Numbers and other prgrams I never use, and never will. Thus creating
more space. But I am finding it impossible to accomplish. The result of a
Google search is zilch! Is this possible? If it is not possible is it possible
to delete them?

My second problem is that the SSD becomes very hot in use. Is there a fire
risk in this?

Pete
--
The email shown is false. If you need to contact me then try peterATpfjamesDOTcoDOTuk

It seems to me a barren thing this Conservatism - an unhhappy cross breed of politics that engenders nothing.
Benjamin Disraeli 1804 - 1881

Re: SanDisk Portable SSD

<mpro.s0txw3003rsnu00dk.fred@[127.0.0.1]>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17922&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17922

From: fre...@[127.0.0.1] (f)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: SanDisk Portable SSD
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 17:31:16 +0100
 by: f - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 16:31 UTC

In message <km8t4cF5drkU1@mid.individual.net>
Peter James <pfjames300@gmail.com> wrote:

> My MacBook Air M2 HD 245.11 GB is nigh on full, and on the advice of my
> local Mac shop, Newquay, I purchased a SanDisk Portable SSD of 1TB.
>
> I have two problems with it. I want to move to it certain Apple programs
> like Automata, Numbers and other prgrams I never use, and never will.
> Thus creating more space. But I am finding it impossible to accomplish.
> The result of a Google search is zilch! Is this possible? If it is not
> possible is it possible to delete them?
[snip]

If you delete them they'll still be available from your App Store account
should you want them in the future, won't they?

fred

Re: SanDisk Portable SSD

<km942jF6g0aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17924&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17924

From: pfjames...@gmail.com (Peter James)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 11 Sep 2023 18:20:03 GMT
 by: Peter James - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 18:20 UTC

On 11 Sep 2023 at 17:31:16 BST, "f" <fred@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

> In message <km8t4cF5drkU1@mid.individual.net>
> Peter James <pfjames300@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My MacBook Air M2 HD 245.11 GB is nigh on full, and on the advice of my
>> local Mac shop, Newquay, I purchased a SanDisk Portable SSD of 1TB.
>>
>> I have two problems with it. I want to move to it certain Apple programs
>> like Automata, Numbers and other prgrams I never use, and never will.
>> Thus creating more space. But I am finding it impossible to accomplish.
>> The result of a Google search is zilch! Is this possible? If it is not
>> possible is it possible to delete them?
> [snip]
>
> If you delete them they'll still be available from your App Store account
> should you want them in the future, won't they?
>
> fred

I guess so. But the problem is I can't delete them.

Pete
--
The email shown is false. If you need to contact me then try peterATpfjamesDOTcoDOTuk

Addresses are given to us to conceal our whereabouts.
Saki (H.H.Munro) 1870 - 1916

Re: SanDisk Portable SSD

<VGs*6t+pz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17930&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17930

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 11 Sep 2023 23:25:47 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 22:25 UTC

Peter James <pfjames300@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 Sep 2023 at 17:31:16 BST, "f" <fred@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
>
> > In message <km8t4cF5drkU1@mid.individual.net>
> > Peter James <pfjames300@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> My MacBook Air M2 HD 245.11 GB is nigh on full, and on the advice of my
> >> local Mac shop, Newquay, I purchased a SanDisk Portable SSD of 1TB.
> >>
> >> I have two problems with it. I want to move to it certain Apple programs
> >> like Automata, Numbers and other prgrams I never use, and never will.
> >> Thus creating more space. But I am finding it impossible to accomplish.
> >> The result of a Google search is zilch! Is this possible? If it is not
> >> possible is it possible to delete them?
> > [snip]
> >
> > If you delete them they'll still be available from your App Store account
> > should you want them in the future, won't they?
> >
> > fred
>
> I guess so. But the problem is I can't delete them.

I don't know for sure but I suspect they are embedded in the system image -
it is intentionally designed so it can't be changed for security reasons.
You might be able to disable them but that doesn't mean you get the space
back.

Perhaps with the exception of Numbers, I suspect the other apps don't take
very much space so there's not much to recover anyway.

Theo

(incidentally, I'm finding more and more 'how to' guides when searching for
things like this are now being filled with AI-generated drivel, making it
harder to find anything useful)

Re: SanDisk Portable SSD

<2416bd4f-8c56-309d-bd59-e9a894e8d273@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17932&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17932

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 01:36:44 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 00:36 UTC

On 11/09/2023 19:20, Peter James wrote:
> On 11 Sep 2023 at 17:31:16 BST, "f" <fred@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
>
>> In message <km8t4cF5drkU1@mid.individual.net>
>> Peter James <pfjames300@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My MacBook Air M2 HD 245.11 GB is nigh on full, and on the advice of my
>>> local Mac shop, Newquay, I purchased a SanDisk Portable SSD of 1TB.
>>>
>>> I have two problems with it. I want to move to it certain Apple programs
>>> like Automata, Numbers and other prgrams I never use, and never will.
>>> Thus creating more space. But I am finding it impossible to accomplish.
>>> The result of a Google search is zilch! Is this possible? If it is not
>>> possible is it possible to delete them?
>> [snip]
>>
>> If you delete them they'll still be available from your App Store account
>> should you want them in the future, won't they?
>>
>> fred
>
> I guess so. But the problem is I can't delete them.

You should be able to delete them simply by dragging each app's icon
from the Applications folder to the wastebasket. (You'll be prompted for
an admin user's name and password.)

Similarly you should be able to move an app onto the SSD by creating a
folder called Applications at the top level of the SSD and dragging the
apps over to it. Again you'll need to supply an admin's username and
password and the SSD should be formatted as APFS, not something with FAT
in the name.

The apps moved over to the SSD won't show in Launchpad until some magic
is done to the newly created Applications folder on the SSD - we can do
that later if the above works. You'll still be able to launch the
offloaded apps, though, by going to the Applications folder on the SSD
and launching the app (by double-clicking) from there.

Regards,
--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: SanDisk Portable SSD

<kmaiq0Fdhf9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17935&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17935

From: pfjames...@gmail.com (Peter James)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 12 Sep 2023 07:37:36 GMT
 by: Peter James - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 07:37 UTC

On 12 Sep 2023 at 01:36:44 BST, "Bruce Horrocks" <07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:

> On 11/09/2023 19:20, Peter James wrote:
>> On 11 Sep 2023 at 17:31:16 BST, "f" <fred@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <km8t4cF5drkU1@mid.individual.net>
>>> Peter James <pfjames300@gmail.com> wrote:
Snipped

> You should be able to delete them simply by dragging each app's icon
> from the Applications folder to the wastebasket. (You'll be prompted for
> an admin user's name and password.)

I can't do it. The only two apps I can delete are Numbers and Pages. I have
deleted
Numbers, as I have never used it, but Pages I d o use.
> Similarly you should be able to move an app onto the SSD by creating a
> folder called Applications at the top level of the SSD and dragging the
> apps over to it. Again you'll need to supply an admin's username and
> password and the SSD should be formatted as APFS, not something with FAT
> in the name.

And none of them will move. So I think I'm stumped. Maybe I'll ring Apple and
see
what they say
> The apps moved over to the SSD won't show in Launchpad until some magic
> is done to the newly created Applications folder on the SSD - we can do
> that later if the above works. You'll still be able to launch the
> offloaded apps, though, by going to the Applications folder on the SSD
> and launching the app (by double-clicking) from there.
>
> Regards,

Many thanks for trying.
Peter
--
The email shown is false. If you need to contact me then try peterATpfjamesDOTcoDOTuk

Addresses are given to us to conceal our whereabouts.
Saki (H.H.Munro) 1870 - 1916

Re: SanDisk Portable SSD

<kmb2m6Fg032U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17946&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17946

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 12 Sep 2023 12:08:38 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 12:08 UTC

On 11 Sep 2023 at 19:20:03 BST, "Peter James" <pfjames300@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 11 Sep 2023 at 17:31:16 BST, "f" <fred@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
>
>> In message <km8t4cF5drkU1@mid.individual.net>
>> Peter James <pfjames300@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My MacBook Air M2 HD 245.11 GB is nigh on full, and on the advice of my
>>> local Mac shop, Newquay, I purchased a SanDisk Portable SSD of 1TB.
>>>
>>> I have two problems with it. I want to move to it certain Apple programs
>>> like Automata, Numbers and other prgrams I never use, and never will.
>>> Thus creating more space. But I am finding it impossible to accomplish.
>>> The result of a Google search is zilch! Is this possible? If it is not
>>> possible is it possible to delete them?

Apps you download from the App Store *can* be moved, but it'll mess up
the autoupdate and you'll likely end up with two copies after a while.
Just delete them.

System apps cannot be moved.

>> [snip]
>>
>> If you delete them they'll still be available from your App Store account
>> should you want them in the future, won't they?
>>
>> fred
>
> I guess so. But the problem is I can't delete them.

There's probably barely any point anyway, they don't use much space -
the whole system (barring caches) is only 10gig, 4% of a 250gig drive.
You should be using something like GrandPerspective to find where the
real space hogs are. Got 12gig of old Garageband loops to dump?

Cheers - Jaimie

--
Homographic homophonic autantonyms: "They're words
that do their job in the most sullen, passive-aggressive

Re: SanDisk Portable SSD

<yM4MM.18695$i1yc.15940@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17954&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17954

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: BDB...@invalid.invalid.uk (David Brooks)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 22:31:10 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 21:31 UTC

On 12/09/2023 13:08, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 11 Sep 2023 at 19:20:03 BST, "Peter James" <pfjames300@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11 Sep 2023 at 17:31:16 BST, "f" <fred@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

> Apps you download from the App Store *can* be moved, but it'll mess up
> the autoupdate and you'll likely end up with two copies after a while.
> Just delete them.
>
> System apps cannot be moved.
>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> If you delete them they'll still be available from your App Store account
>>> should you want them in the future, won't they?
>>>
>>> fred
>>
>> I guess so. But the problem is I can't delete them.
>
> There's probably barely any point anyway, they don't use much space -
> the whole system (barring caches) is only 10gig, 4% of a 250gig drive.
> You should be using something like GrandPerspective to find where the
> real space hogs are. Got 12gig of old Garageband loops to dump?
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

He could also try this software program:-

https://macpaw.esclick.me/J8fQi9wOiJuu

Makes life easy I understand!

--
David

Re: SanDisk Portable SSD

<m1jzsvabq8.fsf@bestley.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17956&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17956

From: gnu...@bestley.co.uk (Mark Bestley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 12:10:23 +0100
sha1:dto3f2k0OiZQlMUw2FSdHggjgjk=
 by: Mark Bestley - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 11:10 UTC

Peter James <pfjames300@gmail.com> writes:

> On 12 Sep 2023 at 01:36:44 BST, "Bruce Horrocks" <07.013@scorecrow.com> wrote:

> Snipped
>
>> You should be able to delete them simply by dragging each app's icon
>> from the Applications folder to the wastebasket. (You'll be prompted for
>> an admin user's name and password.)
>>
> I can't do it. The only two apps I can delete are Numbers and Pages. I have
> deleted
> Numbers, as I have never used it, but Pages I d o use.
>> Similarly you should be able to move an app onto the SSD by creating a
>> folder called Applications at the top level of the SSD and dragging the
>> apps over to it. Again you'll need to supply an admin's username and
>> password and the SSD should be formatted as APFS, not something with FAT
>> in the name.
>>
> And none of them will move. So I think I'm stumped. Maybe I'll ring Apple and
> see
> what they say
Apple will just repeat what Bruce says below.

>> The apps moved over to the SSD won't show in Launchpad until some magic
>> is done to the newly created Applications folder on the SSD - we can do
>> that later if the above works. You'll still be able to launch the
>> offloaded apps, though, by going to the Applications folder on the SSD
>> and launching the app (by double-clicking) from there.

You need to look at the data that is on tour machine to see what is on there and manage that.
I use a tool called OmniDiskSweeper <https://www.omnigroup.com/more> to see what is there, or du in the terminal

--
Mark