The moon is made of green cheese. -- John Heywood

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?

SubjectAuthor
* Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?Mike Halmarack
+* Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?Philip Herlihy
|+- Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?Mike Halmarack
|`- Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?Mike Halmarack
+* Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?wasbit
|+* Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?Philip Herlihy
||`- Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?Mike Halmarack
|`- Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?Mike Halmarack
+* Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?Theo
|`- Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?Mike Halmarack
+* Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?Jaimie Vandenbergh
|`* Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?Mike Halmarack
| `- Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?Rob Morley
`- Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?Andy Burns

1
Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?

<3vpvtglun1q9ns4hnuubvodpoj9imku3uu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1793&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1793

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 08:57:39 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 08:57 UTC

On my small LAN the main PC often has a problem with loading web
pages, particularly Tesco's. Move to the next room and access is no
problem on the next PC.
I know Tesco's site is often flakey these days but it seems too much
of a coincidence, too frequently not to be a PC or a router problem.
How can I work out which?
--

Mike

Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?

<MPG.3c4a0622fe4fd7a6989998@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1796&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1796

From: thiswill...@you.com (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 09:50:01 -0000
 by: Philip Herlihy - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 09:50 UTC

In article <3vpvtglun1q9ns4hnuubvodpoj9imku3uu@4ax.com>,
mikehalmarack@gmail.com says...

> On my small LAN the main PC often has a problem with loading web
> pages, particularly Tesco's. Move to the next room and access is no
> problem on the next PC.
> I know Tesco's site is often flakey these days but it seems too much
> of a coincidence, too frequently not to be a PC or a router problem.
> How can I work out which?

(Surprised to realise how rusty I'm getting on all this!)

You could try bringing up a command prompt or Powershell, and type:
ping tesco.com
-- Do you get the same result on both machines?

On the main PC try also:
ipconfig /flushdns
-- which does what it says on the tin. Any better?

Is the connection solid on the main PC? (E.g. can you stream video without
glitches?) Are you using the same browser on both machines?

--

Phil, London

Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?

<srosko$tcq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1797&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1797

From: wasbitre...@hotmail.com (wasbit)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 09:50:13 -0000
 by: wasbit - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 09:50 UTC

"Mike Halmarack" <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On my small LAN the main PC often has a problem with loading web
> pages, particularly Tesco's. Move to the next room and access is no
> problem on the next PC.
> I know Tesco's site is often flakey these days but it seems too much
> of a coincidence, too frequently not to be a PC or a router problem.
> How can I work out which?

Lots of people had the same problem with Lidl but it seems to be sorted now
so presumably it was their end.

--
Regards
wasbit

Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?

<MPG.3c4a0c635b3c46c198999a@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1798&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1798

From: thiswill...@you.com (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 10:16:50 -0000
 by: Philip Herlihy - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 10:16 UTC

In article <srosko$tcq$1@dont-email.me>, wasbitremove@hotmail.com says...

> "Mike Halmarack" <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > On my small LAN the main PC often has a problem with loading web
> > pages, particularly Tesco's. Move to the next room and access is no
> > problem on the next PC.
> > I know Tesco's site is often flakey these days but it seems too much
> > of a coincidence, too frequently not to be a PC or a router problem.
> > How can I work out which?
>
> Lots of people had the same problem with Lidl but it seems to be sorted now
> so presumably it was their end.

Odd that it's a problem on only one machine here.

Browser cache? E.g:
https://www.howtogeek.com/661729/how-to-clear-cache-and-cookies-in-chrome/

--

Phil, London

Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?

<3600ug506vde4ob9g1ticmg3ac17col18d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1799&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1799

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 10:51:28 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 10:51 UTC

On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 09:50:01 -0000, Philip Herlihy
<thiswillbounceback@you.com> wrote:

>In article <3vpvtglun1q9ns4hnuubvodpoj9imku3uu@4ax.com>,
>mikehalmarack@gmail.com says...
>>
>> On my small LAN the main PC often has a problem with loading web
>> pages, particularly Tesco's. Move to the next room and access is no
>> problem on the next PC.
>> I know Tesco's site is often flakey these days but it seems too much
>> of a coincidence, too frequently not to be a PC or a router problem.
>> How can I work out which?
>
>(Surprised to realise how rusty I'm getting on all this!)
>
>You could try bringing up a command prompt or Powershell, and type:
> ping tesco.com
>-- Do you get the same result on both machines?
>
>On the main PC try also:
> ipconfig /flushdns
>-- which does what it says on the tin. Any better?
>
>Is the connection solid on the main PC? (E.g. can you stream video without
>glitches?) Are you using the same browser on both machines?

Thanks, Ill run through those processes this afternoon.
Yes, video is streaming ok, Netflix and YouTube.
I sometimes need to reboot my router to get anything Internet at all
but that's much less frequent than the browsing difficulties.
--

Mike

Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?

<2210ughb2ppo61vokuth34ru9ssa0dbmv0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1800&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1800

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 10:53:25 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 10:53 UTC

On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 09:50:13 -0000, "wasbit"
<wasbitremove@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Mike Halmarack" <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On my small LAN the main PC often has a problem with loading web
>> pages, particularly Tesco's. Move to the next room and access is no
>> problem on the next PC.
>> I know Tesco's site is often flakey these days but it seems too much
>> of a coincidence, too frequently not to be a PC or a router problem.
>> How can I work out which?
>
>Lots of people had the same problem with Lidl but it seems to be sorted now
>so presumably it was their end.

That's what I preferred to think the first few times.
That it immediately works on one PC and not the other seems odd
though.
--

Mike

Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?

<BBe*YeaEy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1801&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1801

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 13 Jan 2022 10:54:03 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 10:54 UTC

Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know Tesco's site is often flakey these days but it seems too much
> of a coincidence, too frequently not to be a PC or a router problem.
> How can I work out which?

Different adblocking or cookies settings? eg Ocado won't load at all
(getting itself in an endless redirect loop) if all cookies are blocked.

Theo

Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?

<q510ug5uncgn0v0n1002ofed93rka7ks2c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1802&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1802

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 10:56:03 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 10:56 UTC

On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 10:16:50 -0000, Philip Herlihy
<thiswillbounceback@you.com> wrote:

>In article <srosko$tcq$1@dont-email.me>, wasbitremove@hotmail.com says...
>>
>> "Mike Halmarack" <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > On my small LAN the main PC often has a problem with loading web
>> > pages, particularly Tesco's. Move to the next room and access is no
>> > problem on the next PC.
>> > I know Tesco's site is often flakey these days but it seems too much
>> > of a coincidence, too frequently not to be a PC or a router problem.
>> > How can I work out which?
>>
>> Lots of people had the same problem with Lidl but it seems to be sorted now
>> so presumably it was their end.
>
>Odd that it's a problem on only one machine here.
>
>Browser cache? E.g:
>https://www.howtogeek.com/661729/how-to-clear-cache-and-cookies-in-chrome/

My Firefox and Chrome caches and cookies must feel somewhat
victimised, considering the frequency with which I flush them out.
--

Mike

Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?

<jb10ugls1rgbu9fh8vv0m71g78r2holn2e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1803&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1803

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 10:58:30 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 10:58 UTC

On 13 Jan 2022 10:54:03 +0000 (GMT), Theo
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I know Tesco's site is often flakey these days but it seems too much
>> of a coincidence, too frequently not to be a PC or a router problem.
>> How can I work out which?
>
>Different adblocking or cookies settings? eg Ocado won't load at all
>(getting itself in an endless redirect loop) if all cookies are blocked.
>
>Theo

Adblocking is a possibility though the same settings are configured
when I can access the sites and also when I can't.
--

Mike

Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?

<j4al9eFbel6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1806&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1806

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 13 Jan 2022 12:46:38 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 12:46 UTC

On 13 Jan 2022 at 08:57:39 GMT, "Mike Halmarack"
<mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:

> On my small LAN the main PC often has a problem with loading web
> pages, particularly Tesco's. Move to the next room and access is no
> problem on the next PC.
> I know Tesco's site is often flakey these days but it seems too much
> of a coincidence, too frequently not to be a PC or a router problem.
> How can I work out which?

Set up a second user account on the troublesome PC, and see if that
blank new setup is problematic.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Is everyone acting like a solipsist in here, or is it just me?

Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?

<drg0ugpsnrfkkqogopt9l5qt7nqbagej3j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1809&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1809

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 15:22:54 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 15:22 UTC

On 13 Jan 2022 12:46:38 GMT, Jaimie Vandenbergh
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

>On 13 Jan 2022 at 08:57:39 GMT, "Mike Halmarack"
><mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On my small LAN the main PC often has a problem with loading web
>> pages, particularly Tesco's. Move to the next room and access is no
>> problem on the next PC.
>> I know Tesco's site is often flakey these days but it seems too much
>> of a coincidence, too frequently not to be a PC or a router problem.
>> How can I work out which?
>
>Set up a second user account on the troublesome PC, and see if that
>blank new setup is problematic.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Thanks. Done that. just need to wait for the next time the problem
occurs now.
--

Mike

Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?

<9qh2ugltshlnf90e0obqbucft6g16f5n2m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1815&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1815

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:54:46 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:54 UTC

On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 09:50:01 -0000, Philip Herlihy
<thiswillbounceback@you.com> wrote:

>In article <3vpvtglun1q9ns4hnuubvodpoj9imku3uu@4ax.com>,
>mikehalmarack@gmail.com says...
>>
>> On my small LAN the main PC often has a problem with loading web
>> pages, particularly Tesco's. Move to the next room and access is no
>> problem on the next PC.
>> I know Tesco's site is often flakey these days but it seems too much
>> of a coincidence, too frequently not to be a PC or a router problem.
>> How can I work out which?
>
>(Surprised to realise how rusty I'm getting on all this!)
>
>You could try bringing up a command prompt or Powershell, and type:
> ping tesco.com
>-- Do you get the same result on both machines?

Yes, though often it's easy to get onto the home page of sites but
attempting to go further meets with errors.

It's a bit similar with British Gas.
Someone explained that requirements and restrictions for accessing the
sites are getting more and more complex.
What happened to simple websites?
>On the main PC try also:
> ipconfig /flushdns
>-- which does what it says on the tin. Any better?
>
>Is the connection solid on the main PC? (E.g. can you stream video without
>glitches?) Are you using the same browser on both machines?
--

Mike

Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?

<j4e3lmF13a8U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1821&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1821

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 20:10:28 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 20:10 UTC

Mike Halmarack wrote:

> How can I work out which?

same browser on working vs b0rked PCs?

try different browser on the errant PC

disable any advert/script blockers

Re: Some web pages inaccessible on one PC, OK on another?

<20220122215829.03de43cc@Mars>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1848&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1848

From: nos...@ntlworld.com (Rob Morley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 21:58:29 +0000
H2J3@n:NH)h+HQQv-jP3EYU|.*HZ6q6nwd5N7uOFIr+@
 by: Rob Morley - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 21:58 UTC

On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 15:22:54 +0000
Mike Halmarack <mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13 Jan 2022 12:46:38 GMT, Jaimie Vandenbergh
> <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>
> >On 13 Jan 2022 at 08:57:39 GMT, "Mike Halmarack"
> ><mikehalmarack@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> [...]
> >
> >Set up a second user account on the troublesome PC, and see if that
> >blank new setup is problematic.
> >
> > Cheers - Jaimie
>
> Thanks. Done that. just need to wait for the next time the problem
> occurs now.

When a website has mysterious lost functionality I usually just "go
incognito" to sidestep the browser plugins that are probably causing
the problem.