6 May, 2024: The networking issue during the past two days has been identified and may be fixed. Will keep monitoring.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)

SubjectAuthor
* Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Mike McMillan
+* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)J. P. Gilliver
|+* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Kate B
||`- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)J. P. Gilliver
|`* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Serena Blanchflower
| +* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Kate B
| |`- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Serena Blanchflower
| +* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)J. P. Gilliver
| |`* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Serena Blanchflower
| | +* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Nick Odell
| | |+* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Joe Kerr
| | |+- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Serena Blanchflower
| | |`* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Jenny M Benson
| | | +- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)J. P. Gilliver
| | | `* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Sam Plusnet
| | |  +* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Steve Hague
| | |  |`- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Mike McMillan
| | |  `* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Serena Blanchflower
| | |   `* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Vicky
| | |    +* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)J. P. Gilliver
| | |    |`* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Serena Blanchflower
| | |    | `* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)J. P. Gilliver
| | |    |  +* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Jim Easterbrook
| | |    |  |+- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)J. P. Gilliver
| | |    |  |`- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)John Ashby
| | |    |  `* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Serena Blanchflower
| | |    |   `- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)J. P. Gilliver
| | |    `* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Chris J Dixon
| | |     `* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Chris
| | |      `* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Sam Plusnet
| | |       `- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Mike McMillan
| | `- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Serena Blanchflower
| +* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Chris
| |`- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Serena Blanchflower
| `* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Jim Easterbrook
|  +- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)krw
|  `* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Serena Blanchflower
|   `- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Nick Odell
`* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)carolet
 +* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)J. P. Gilliver
 |+* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Sam Plusnet
 ||`* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)J. P. Gilliver
 || +* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Mike McMillan
 || |`* Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!) - now old email accountsJ. P. Gilliver
 || | `* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!) - now oldSteve Hague
 || |  +* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!) - now old email accouJ. P. Gilliver
 || |  |`- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!) - now old email accouChris J Dixon
 || |  +- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!) - now oldBrritSki
 || |  +* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!) - now oldSam Plusnet
 || |  |`* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!) - now old email accouJ. P. Gilliver
 || |  | `- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!) - now oldKate B
 || |  `* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!) - now oldkrw
 || |   `- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!) - now old email accouVicky
 || `- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Sam Plusnet
 |`* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Nick Odell
 | `* Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)J. P. Gilliver
 |  `- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Nick Odell
 `- Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)Chris

Pages:123
Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)

<udrveu$21qup$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17298&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17298

From: nos...@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 10:30:06 +0100
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 09:30 UTC

On 13/09/2023 08:42, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <udqj22$1fnmm$2@dont-email.me> at Tue, 12 Sep 2023 21:52:17,
> Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> writes
>> On 12/09/2023 18:41, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>> With the two hosting companies I've been with - tsoHost and Krystal -
>>> I've always just arranged for them to forward all my incoming email
>>> to PlusNet, which I then continue to collect from. And I send direct
>>> through PN's system, not involving the hosters at all (though I had
>>> to get them to tweak when gmail decided it didn't like me doing
>>> things that  way).
>>
>> The reason I hadn't been receiving any emails is that TSOHost no
>> longer provides that service but, for whatever reason, had failed to
>> send me
>
> That's a useful warning: I assumed that all hosting providers had a
> forwarding option. If one of them stops doing it, I bet others will
> follow, so I'll have to keep an eye on Krystal.

Yes, I suspect that's the case. Mind you, I can't completely blame
them, as they effectively provide that for free, for those of us who
only use them as domain hosts.

> (I wouldn't be surprised if - tsoHost in your case - still _do_ have the
> facility, but not known to all their staff, who IME [all such staff, not
> just at that company] tend to say "no, we don't do that" rather than "I
> don't know about that".)

I think they've actually cut the string. Anyone who tried to email me
would get their email bounced on the basis that "the recipient's email
system refused to accept a connection from your email system". The chap
who I spoke to immediately recognised what the problem was.

>> all the masses of emails I apparently should have received over recent
>
> They'll have sent them via the system they'd turned off (-:

<g>

Most of them were, allegedly, sent long before they cut the string.

>> months.  My temporary solution has had to be to take a "Professional
>> Email package"[1].
>>
>> This allows for some mail forwarding but I haven't got it set up quite
>> how I want it yet.  The decision as to how long I leave it before I
>> get round to transferring my domain will be based, to a large degree,
>> will be based on how well I can get it set up.
>>
> So they're getting extra money out of you )-:.

Yes but, if as we both suspect, this is the way things are going (I
think 123Reg, at least has done the same), it may be inevitable.
Luckily it isn't a very large sum they want each month and may not be
for very many months. It does mean I can take my time to research where
I want to go and make any changes at a time that suits me.

>> [1]  Shifting to a new domain host would be likely to take a week or
>> so to set up, with no emails getting through until this was complete.
>>
> I transferred to Krystal a few weeks _before_ my tsoHost thing ran out,
> and I _think_ that went through in a day or two, including emails. Talk
> to them - see how well or otherwise they explain the process; if badly,
> try someone else. (If you _do_ go to Krystal, tell them I sent you - I
> can't remember if they have a referral system, but always worth a try!)

Yes, my memory, from when I've moved in the past, was that it took 1-2
days but all the hosts who say how long it's likely to take now agree on
5-7 days.

--
Best wishes, Serena
The moment one gives close attention to anything, even a blade of grass,

Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)

<DnAEFLOSTbAlFw8H@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17302&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17302

Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 14:10:42 +0100
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 13:10 UTC

In message <udrveu$21qup$1@dont-email.me> at Wed, 13 Sep 2023 10:30:06,
Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> writes
>On 13/09/2023 08:42, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <udqj22$1fnmm$2@dont-email.me> at Tue, 12 Sep 2023
>>21:52:17, Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> writes
[]
>>> The reason I hadn't been receiving any emails is that TSOHost no
>>>longer provides that service but, for whatever reason, had failed to
>>>send me
>> That's a useful warning: I assumed that all hosting providers had a
>>forwarding option. If one of them stops doing it, I bet others will
>>follow, so I'll have to keep an eye on Krystal.
>
>Yes, I suspect that's the case. Mind you, I can't completely blame
>them, as they effectively provide that for free, for those of us who
>only use them as domain hosts.

Hmm. I've had this one before: I forget what it was - it might have been
usenet provision. Whoever it was tried to imply that it was something
provided free; my view was that it was part of the package I originally
signed up for, not a free.
[]
>I think they've actually cut the string. Anyone who tried to email me
>would get their email bounced on the basis that "the recipient's email
>system refused to accept a connection from your email system". The
>chap who I spoke to immediately recognised what the problem was.
[]
>>> months.  My temporary solution has had to be to take a "Professional
>>>Email package"[1].
>>>
>>> This allows for some mail forwarding but I haven't got it set up
>>>quite how I want it yet.  The decision as to how long I leave it
>>>before I get round to transferring my domain will be based, to a
>>>large degree, will be based on how well I can get it set up.
>>>
>> So they're getting extra money out of you )-:.
>

>Yes but, if as we both suspect, this is the way things are going (I
>think 123Reg, at least has done the same), it may be inevitable.
>Luckily it isn't a very large sum they want each month and may not be
>for very many months. It does mean I can take my time to research
>where I want to go and make any changes at a time that suits me.

I do hope we really don't end up having to have domain registration,
email handling, web hosting, usenet, and who knows what else, all from
different providers. (And I'm not going to go Google - I have a gmail
address, but am certainly not going to rely on it.) The _ability_ to do
so is fine, but _having_ to would be a wright payne.

>>> [1]  Shifting to a new domain host would be likely to take a week or
>>>so to set up, with no emails getting through until this was complete.
>>>
>> I transferred to Krystal a few weeks _before_ my tsoHost thing ran
>>out, and I _think_ that went through in a day or two, including
>>emails. Talk to them - see how well or otherwise they explain the
>>process; if badly, try someone else. (If you _do_ go to Krystal, tell
>>them I sent you - I can't remember if they have a referral system,
>>but always worth a try!)
>

>Yes, my memory, from when I've moved in the past, was that it took 1-2
>days but all the hosts who say how long it's likely to take now agree
>on 5-7 days.

From what I remember, the date/time at which it would happen couldn't be
pinned down that precisely, but the actual transition when it happened
was quick (and I don't think I lost any emails). But that was last
December, so I might be remembering it wrong(ly).

Advertising is legalized lying. - H.G. Wells

Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)

<udsoko$274d5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17306&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17306

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 16:39:52 -0000 (UTC)
<okc1gi9opq0q1rljhjvj49c1h745blbikk@4ax.com>
sha1:pKOlJU/0yC6jZ2MrMBGmLzrc6gU=
 by: Chris - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 16:39 UTC

Chris J Dixon <chris@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:
> Vicky wrote:
>
>> Does anyone else find their fingerprints faded with age? So i can't
>> use them to sign in things. It is not just phone and tablet but when
>> I went to give finger prints to get an Austrian passport they had
>> trouble there too and said it is not unusual with older people.
>
> My phone has a fairly inaccessible fingerprint scanner, and it
> simply was not possible to get it to create enough of a scan to
> be acceptable. My fingerprints are pretty smooth, and
> occasionally, especially if dry, do not have as much grip as
> might be useful.
>
> I sometimes have problems with touch screens that won't respond.
>
> Chris

I’ve never managed to get my fingerprint to register, let alone use it!

Mrs McT

Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)

<WMnMM.207$AfZe.174@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17308&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17308

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 20:08:37 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 19:08 UTC

On 13/09/2023 17:39, Chris wrote:
> Chris J Dixon <chris@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:
>> Vicky wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone else find their fingerprints faded with age? So i can't
>>> use them to sign in things. It is not just phone and tablet but when
>>> I went to give finger prints to get an Austrian passport they had
>>> trouble there too and said it is not unusual with older people.
>>
>> My phone has a fairly inaccessible fingerprint scanner, and it
>> simply was not possible to get it to create enough of a scan to
>> be acceptable. My fingerprints are pretty smooth, and
>> occasionally, especially if dry, do not have as much grip as
>> might be useful.
>>
>> I sometimes have problems with touch screens that won't respond.
>>
>> Chris
>
> I’ve never managed to get my fingerprint to register, let alone use it!

iPhones use facial recognition. It involves much gurning at the screen
in order to get it to recognise you.

I did wonder if I could fool it, using a large potato with stuck on
eyes, nose and mouth etc. - but I haven't found the tuits to make the
experiment.

Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)

<udv0ll$2kmgr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17313&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17313

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 13:09:09 -0000 (UTC)
<okc1gi9opq0q1rljhjvj49c1h745blbikk@4ax.com>
<udsoko$274d5$2@dont-email.me>
<WMnMM.207$AfZe.174@fx45.iad>
sha1:6FjYAWuIErhTs72DbZX65jJ113E=
 by: Mike McMillan - Thu, 14 Sep 2023 13:09 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> On 13/09/2023 17:39, Chris wrote:
>> Chris J Dixon <chris@cdixon.me.uk> wrote:

>>> My phone has a fairly inaccessible fingerprint scanner, and it
>>> simply was not possible to get it to create enough of a scan to
>>> be acceptable. My fingerprints are pretty smooth, and
>>> occasionally, especially if dry, do not have as much grip as
>>> might be useful.
>>>
>>> I sometimes have problems with touch screens that won't respond.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> I’ve never managed to get my fingerprint to register, let alone use it!
>>

> iPhones use facial recognition. It involves much gurning at the screen
> in order to get it to recognise you.
>
> I did wonder if I could fool it, using a large potato with stuck on
> eyes, nose and mouth etc. - but I haven't found the tuits to make the
> experiment.

Would that be facial discrimination?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)

<kp743rF2uh6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17902&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17902

From: new...@jim-easterbrook.me.uk (Jim Easterbrook)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: 17 Oct 2023 09:57:15 GMT
 by: Jim Easterbrook - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:57 UTC

On Tue, 5 Sep 2023 20:54:25 +0100, Serena Blanchflower wrote:

> Thinking of that, does anyone have any recommendations for good domain
> hosts? I've had occasional problems with emails sent to my current host
> (TSOHOST) being bounced[1] so I'm thinking of moving. I don't have any
> webspace to worry about, so I'm just looking for someone to host my
> domain and forward emails to the appropriate place.

Sorry for the late reply. I've recently (in the last two weeks or so)
moved my domains and email/web hosting to "Mythic Beasts". (Silly name,
but apart from that they seem to be OK.)
https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting

They don't do phone support, which I wouldn't use anyway, but they've
responded to my support emails promptly and have actually answered the
questions I've asked, in a manner that assumes I'm an intelligent person.

Their documentation is pretty good as well, for example they have clear
instructions on how to migrate domains and hosting with minimum down time.

--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>

Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)

<l5ecnRKmKrBouaz4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17928&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17928

Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 13:45:42 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw...@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 12:45 UTC

On 17.10.23 10:57, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply. I've recently (in the last two weeks or so)
> moved my domains and email/web hosting to "Mythic Beasts". (Silly name,
> but apart from that they seem to be OK.)
> https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting
>
> They don't do phone support, which I wouldn't use anyway, but they've
> responded to my support emails promptly and have actually answered the
> questions I've asked, in a manner that assumes I'm an intelligent person.
>
> Their documentation is pretty good as well, for example they have clear
> instructions on how to migrate domains and hosting with minimum down time.

Looking very quickly at the prices (and nought else) that looks like
being cheaper than my current supplier and if there are helpful guides
on transfers that would be nice.

Thank you.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)

<ugruc4$7k9m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17933&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17933

From: nos...@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 20:00:20 +0100
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 19:00 UTC

On 17/10/2023 10:57, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Sep 2023 20:54:25 +0100, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
>
>> Thinking of that, does anyone have any recommendations for good domain
>> hosts? I've had occasional problems with emails sent to my current host
>> (TSOHOST) being bounced[1] so I'm thinking of moving. I don't have any
>> webspace to worry about, so I'm just looking for someone to host my
>> domain and forward emails to the appropriate place.
>
> Sorry for the late reply. I've recently (in the last two weeks or so)
> moved my domains and email/web hosting to "Mythic Beasts". (Silly name,
> but apart from that they seem to be OK.)
> https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting
>
> They don't do phone support, which I wouldn't use anyway, but they've
> responded to my support emails promptly and have actually answered the
> questions I've asked, in a manner that assumes I'm an intelligent person.
>
> Their documentation is pretty good as well, for example they have clear
> instructions on how to migrate domains and hosting with minimum down time.

Thanks for that. On an initial browse, they look very much what I'm
looking for. A bit more expensive than TSOHOST used to be but, as I
assume the reason they've stopped doing straight mail forwarding deals
is that they were losing money on it, that's probably inevitable.

--
Best wishes, Serena
If war is the only answer, then it must have been a very silly question!

Re: Beware Hornets Nest (but not the one you might think!)

<f623jihsj246tr2d0eh7d3so0hoi1hroo3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17934&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17934

From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 20:56:15 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 19:56 UTC

On Thu, 19 Oct 2023 20:00:20 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
<nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>On 17/10/2023 10:57, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
>> On Tue, 5 Sep 2023 20:54:25 +0100, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
>>
>>> Thinking of that, does anyone have any recommendations for good domain
>>> hosts? I've had occasional problems with emails sent to my current host
>>> (TSOHOST) being bounced[1] so I'm thinking of moving. I don't have any
>>> webspace to worry about, so I'm just looking for someone to host my
>>> domain and forward emails to the appropriate place.
>>
>> Sorry for the late reply. I've recently (in the last two weeks or so)
>> moved my domains and email/web hosting to "Mythic Beasts". (Silly name,
>> but apart from that they seem to be OK.)
>> https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting
>>
>> They don't do phone support, which I wouldn't use anyway, but they've
>> responded to my support emails promptly and have actually answered the
>> questions I've asked, in a manner that assumes I'm an intelligent person.
>>
>> Their documentation is pretty good as well, for example they have clear
>> instructions on how to migrate domains and hosting with minimum down time.
>>

>Thanks for that. On an initial browse, they look very much what I'm
>looking for. A bit more expensive than TSOHOST used to be but, as I
>assume the reason they've stopped doing straight mail forwarding deals
>is that they were losing money on it, that's probably inevitable.

Mythic Beasts may be experiencing a little hiccup in their services at
the moment. See the most recent thread on uk.net.news.moderation for
details so far and hopefully see in the future that the problem has
been sorted out or wasn't their's in the first place.

Nick