Reputation, adj.: What others are not thinking about you.

aus+uk / uk.people.silversurfers / Re: ping Jeff

SubjectAuthor
* ping JeffRay
`* Re: ping JeffJeff Gaines
 `* Re: ping JeffRay
  `* Re: ping JeffJeff Gaines
   `* Re: ping JeffRay
    +* Re: ping JeffAbandoned_Trolley
    |`* Re: ping JeffJeff Gaines
    | `* Re: ping JeffAbandoned_Trolley
    |  `* Re: ping JeffJeff Gaines
    |   +* Re: ping JeffRay
    |   |`- Re: ping JeffAbandoned_Trolley
    |   `* Re: ping JeffAbandoned_Trolley
    |    `* Re: ping JeffJeff Gaines
    |     `* Re: ping JeffAbandoned_Trolley
    |      `- Re: ping JeffJeff Gaines
    `- Re: ping JeffJeff Gaines

1
ping Jeff

<sfntas$3k5$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1769&group=uk.people.silversurfers#1769

From: amos-jo...@outlook.com (Ray)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: ping Jeff
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 09:40:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ray - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 09:40 UTC

Just a heads up.
Pretty much all the regulars in the Mac group maintain large kill files to
filter out the idiots. I’m sure you’ve realised they are carrying on the
most ridiculous arguments among themselves. Be careful who you interact
with, it doesn’t do to give access to personal information to one such
person in particular.
;-)

Re: ping Jeff

<xn0n1uvn55sasn800p@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1770&group=uk.people.silversurfers#1770

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: ping Jeff
Date: 20 Aug 2021 10:05:36 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 10:05 UTC

On 20/08/2021 in message <sfntas$3k5$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>
Ray wrote:

>Just a heads up.
>Pretty much all the regulars in the Mac group maintain large kill files to
>filter out the idiots. I’m sure you’ve realised they are carrying on
>the
>most ridiculous arguments among themselves. Be careful who you interact
>with, it doesn’t do to give access to personal information to one such
>person in particular.
>;-)

Many thanks :-)

It's very sad as it's a helpful group and I need help on some pretty
fundamental things at the moment, my Googling skills have never been good
and I often just can't find the information I need. I've joined FB groups
for the Mac Mini M1, GarageBand and MainStage but posts are infrequent and
I often think I am doing things that other people just don't do!

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is

Re: ping Jeff

<sfoek2$lu5$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1772&group=uk.people.silversurfers#1772

From: amos-jo...@outlook.com (Ray)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 14:35:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ray - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 14:35 UTC

Jeff Gaines <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 20/08/2021 in message <sfntas$3k5$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>
> Ray wrote:
>
>> Just a heads up.
>> Pretty much all the regulars in the Mac group maintain large kill files to
>> filter out the idiots. I’m sure you’ve realised they are carrying on
>> the
>> most ridiculous arguments among themselves. Be careful who you interact
>> with, it doesn’t do to give access to personal information to one such
>> person in particular.
>> ;-)
>
> Many thanks :-)
>
> It's very sad as it's a helpful group and I need help on some pretty
> fundamental things at the moment, my Googling skills have never been good
> and I often just can't find the information I need. I've joined FB groups
> for the Mac Mini M1, GarageBand and MainStage but posts are infrequent and
> I often think I am doing things that other people just don't do!

Yes that one particular person brought all the others in on his tail,
largely because he’d upset them all elsewhere by stalking them. Kill filing
anything from Google groups will eliminate much of the noise. Plus posts to
more than one group.
Really the only unusual thing you are doing is trying to control a Mac
remotely from a Windows machine instead of directly.
And FB isn’t the best place, you’ll get better results in sub Reddits for
music production, GarageBand and Mainstage, as well as the Apple user
forums.

Re: ping Jeff

<xn0n1v8wr6acmdp00q@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1773&group=uk.people.silversurfers#1773

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 20 Aug 2021 18:30:53 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 18:30 UTC

On 20/08/2021 in message <sfoek2$lu5$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>
Ray wrote:

>Yes that one particular person brought all the others in on his tail,
>largely because he’d upset them all elsewhere by stalking them. Kill
>filing
>anything from Google groups will eliminate much of the noise. Plus posts to
>more than one group.

I'll keep my eyes open.

>Really the only unusual thing you are doing is trying to control a Mac
>remotely from a Windows machine instead of directly.

Progress, I now control the Windows machine from my MBP and Mac Mini! I do
like the way I can use Ctrl+Arrow to switch back and forth.

>And FB isn’t the best place, you’ll get better results in sub Reddits
>for
>music production, GarageBand and Mainstage, as well as the Apple user
>forums.

OK, I'll look. The sort of things I get stuck on are e.g. finding
instruments in MainStage, I'd like to just find a clarinet for instance
but I seem to have to work through a dozen or more categories to dig one
out.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is

Re: ping Jeff

<sfq9f6$9q0$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1777&group=uk.people.silversurfers#1777

From: amos-jo...@outlook.com (Ray)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 07:20:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ray - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 07:20 UTC

On 20 Aug 2021 at 19:30:53 BST, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> Progress, I now control the Windows machine from my MBP and Mac Mini! I do
> like the way I can use Ctrl+Arrow to switch back and forth.

Yes I use that to switch between desktops on my MacBook Pro. See F3 on a Mac
keyboard if you haven't already.

>> And FB isn’t the best place, you’ll get better results in sub Reddits
>> for
>> music production, GarageBand and Mainstage, as well as the Apple user
>> forums.
>
> OK, I'll look. The sort of things I get stuck on are e.g. finding
> instruments in MainStage, I'd like to just find a clarinet for instance
> but I seem to have to work through a dozen or more categories to dig one
> out.

I've never used MainStage but I have seen it being used at many concerts and
gigs. It's not unusual to see a MacBook alongside the mixing desk or even
onstage. Is there no Search option for the patches?
The Reddit MainStage sub is active so that may be your best place for
questions.

--
Old recording studios were equipped with a device which took the place of autotune, it was called a 'door'. If the performer was inadequate, they never got past the door.

Re: ping Jeff

<sfqdgr$vm8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1780&group=uk.people.silversurfers#1780

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 09:29:15 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 08:29 UTC

On 21/08/2021 08:20, Ray wrote:
> On 20 Aug 2021 at 19:30:53 BST, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Progress, I now control the Windows machine from my MBP and Mac Mini! I do
>> like the way I can use Ctrl+Arrow to switch back and forth.
>
> Yes I use that to switch between desktops on my MacBook Pro. See F3 on a Mac
> keyboard if you haven't already.
>>
>>> And FB isn’t the best place, you’ll get better results in sub Reddits
>>> for
>>> music production, GarageBand and Mainstage, as well as the Apple user
>>> forums.
>>
>> OK, I'll look. The sort of things I get stuck on are e.g. finding
>> instruments in MainStage, I'd like to just find a clarinet for instance
>> but I seem to have to work through a dozen or more categories to dig one
>> out.
>
> I've never used MainStage but I have seen it being used at many concerts and
> gigs. It's not unusual to see a MacBook alongside the mixing desk or even
> onstage. Is there no Search option for the patches?
> The Reddit MainStage sub is active so that may be your best place for
> questions.

Laptops / Macbooks used on stage during live performances are sometimes
running Cubase or other DAW software with a pre-built stack of VST
instruments. I believe the "performer" can switch between MIDI channels
to get the different voices without "tape rolling"

I know for a fact that some of these keyboards (like my M-Audio
Keystation) have no audio output so they need an external box of some
sort to make any noise at all.

If you are playing in a band then this approach possibly makes more
sense anyway because when you want to record something you can use the
same software for straight multi track audio recordings.

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: ping Jeff

<xn0n1w8wi75zogg00s@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1782&group=uk.people.silversurfers#1782

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 21 Aug 2021 09:16:38 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 09:16 UTC

On 21/08/2021 in message <sfqdgr$vm8$1@dont-email.me> Abandoned_Trolley
wrote:

>Laptops / Macbooks used on stage during live performances are sometimes
>running Cubase or other DAW software with a pre-built stack of VST
>instruments. I believe the "performer" can switch between MIDI channels to
>get the different voices without "tape rolling"
>
>I know for a fact that some of these keyboards (like my M-Audio
>Keystation) have no audio output so they need an external box of some sort
>to make any noise at all.
>
>If you are playing in a band then this approach possibly makes more sense
>anyway because when you want to record something you can use the same
>software for straight multi track audio recordings.

My use is much more basic, I'm just using it to get some sound out of the
Re.corder which, like you keyboard, makes no electronic sound on its own!

MainStage is incredibly cheap considering what professional musicians do
with it

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap

Re: ping Jeff

<xn0n1w8yu7630v300t@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1783&group=uk.people.silversurfers#1783

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 21 Aug 2021 09:19:13 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 09:19 UTC

On 21/08/2021 in message <sfq9f6$9q0$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>
Ray wrote:

>>Progress, I now control the Windows machine from my MBP and Mac Mini! I do
>>like the way I can use Ctrl+Arrow to switch back and forth.
>
>Yes I use that to switch between desktops on my MacBook Pro. See F3 on a
>Mac
>keyboard if you haven't already.

I find it much easier to use the Macs to drive the Windows machine. Screen
sharing from my MBP to my Mac Mini is useless because it tries to show two
screens on the MBP - I have two connected so I can read instructions and
carry them out at the same time. I'll have to learn how to tell the MBP
just to use one screen.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is

Re: ping Jeff

<sfqno2$6jv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1789&group=uk.people.silversurfers#1789

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 12:23:46 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 11:23 UTC

> MainStage is incredibly cheap considering what professional musicians do
> with it

Cubase LE is incredibly free, and would probably be more than adequate
for most uses as long as you dont need to record more than 2 audio
tracks at a time.

Theres a free "lite" version of PreSonus Studio One as well (it may have
been called "Prime" at some point). This free product is also limited to
2 track audio.

Both of these DAW products can be enhanced with free VST instuments and
effects plug-ins which can be a lifted from a variety of online sources
- like VSTPLanet.com and www.dskmusic.com

If you have a look around on Youtube you will find plenty of free
tutorial stuff for all of this software (including MainStage) - the
videos are often professional productions by the manufacturers.

Seems to me that you can get quite a way in to this business without
spending a farthing on any software.

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: ping Jeff

<xn0n1wsjr7wp53500v@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1791&group=uk.people.silversurfers#1791

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 21 Aug 2021 21:44:15 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 21:44 UTC

On 21/08/2021 in message <sfqno2$6jv$1@dont-email.me> Abandoned_Trolley
wrote:

>>MainStage is incredibly cheap considering what professional musicians do
>>with it
>>

>Cubase LE is incredibly free, and would probably be more than adequate for
>most uses as long as you dont need to record more than 2 audio tracks at a
>time.
>
>Theres a free "lite" version of PreSonus Studio One as well (it may have
>been called "Prime" at some point). This free product is also limited to 2
>track audio.
>
>Both of these DAW products can be enhanced with free VST instuments and
>effects plug-ins which can be a lifted from a variety of online sources -
>like VSTPLanet.com and www.dskmusic.com
>
>If you have a look around on Youtube you will find plenty of free tutorial
>stuff for all of this software (including MainStage) - the videos are
>often professional productions by the manufacturers.
>
>Seems to me that you can get quite a way in to this business without
>spending a farthing on any software.

I suspect that things like GarageBand and MainStage are overkill for what
I want but I don't know the generic name of what I do want. My first foray
into wind controllers was an Akai EWI USB which I struggled with because
you blow into it rather than through it and 50 years of smoking (now
ceased) and a pulmonary embolism a few years back didn't help.

The Artinoise Re.corder takes about the same puff as an acoustic recorder
so I can manage it as long as I remember to breathe. The EWI USB came with
a simple program based on Garritan Aria which interprets the MIDI data and
plays a sound as instructed. I suspect something like a softsync or VST
host would do - if you can suggest other generic names I'll have a poke
around :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his friends for his

Re: ping Jeff

<sfsv27$ope$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1792&group=uk.people.silversurfers#1792

From: amos-jo...@outlook.com (Ray)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 07:40:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ray - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 07:40 UTC

On 21 Aug 2021 at 22:44:15 BST, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 21/08/2021 in message <sfqno2$6jv$1@dont-email.me> Abandoned_Trolley
> wrote:
>

>>> MainStage is incredibly cheap considering what professional musicians do
>>> with it
>>>

>> Cubase LE is incredibly free, and would probably be more than adequate for
>> most uses as long as you dont need to record more than 2 audio tracks at a
>> time.
>>
>> Theres a free "lite" version of PreSonus Studio One as well (it may have
>> been called "Prime" at some point). This free product is also limited to 2
>> track audio.
>>
>> Both of these DAW products can be enhanced with free VST instuments and
>> effects plug-ins which can be a lifted from a variety of online sources -
>> like VSTPLanet.com and www.dskmusic.com
>>
>> If you have a look around on Youtube you will find plenty of free tutorial
>> stuff for all of this software (including MainStage) - the videos are
>> often professional productions by the manufacturers.
>>
>> Seems to me that you can get quite a way in to this business without
>> spending a farthing on any software.
>
> I suspect that things like GarageBand and MainStage are overkill for what
> I want but I don't know the generic name of what I do want. My first foray
> into wind controllers was an Akai EWI USB which I struggled with because
> you blow into it rather than through it and 50 years of smoking (now
> ceased) and a pulmonary embolism a few years back didn't help.
>
> The Artinoise Re.corder takes about the same puff as an acoustic recorder
> so I can manage it as long as I remember to breathe. The EWI USB came with
> a simple program based on Garritan Aria which interprets the MIDI data and
> plays a sound as instructed. I suspect something like a softsync or VST
> host would do - if you can suggest other generic names I'll have a poke
> around :-)

I'm not familiar with wind controllers, i've been a musician for most of my
life playing guitar and bass.
But I am familiar with DAW's and VST plugins having done a lot of recording
using LogicPro and more recently Cubase Pro.
Both would be overkill for your requirements, especially considering the
prices. Cubase LE is not technically free, it's bundled with some hardware
products. You might find a pirated version but....

Given its astonishingly reasonable price Garageband is a very capable DAW with
loads of built in VST's.
It should give you what you want with some experimentation. You could spend
days going through all the built in instruments.
Added bonus, you can record yourself while practicing, which may or may not
help. :-)

I found a couple of YouTube videos which may help you.
The first specifically deals with using GarageBand and the Artinoise device.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmt16JxRMh0>
The second is the same guy talking about soft synths which plugin to most
DAW's and also MainStage.
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFEdBZGvF8I>

From those two you should be able to jump onto other videos on the same
subject.

--
We walk in the footsteps of time

Re: ping Jeff

<sfsv9p$psf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1793&group=uk.people.silversurfers#1793

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 08:44:56 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 07:44 UTC

> I suspect that things like GarageBand and MainStage are overkill for
> what I want but I don't know the generic name of what I do want. My
> first foray into wind controllers was an Akai EWI USB which I struggled
> with because you blow into it rather than through it and 50 years of
> smoking (now ceased) and a pulmonary embolism a few years back didn't help.
>
> The Artinoise Re.corder takes about the same puff as an acoustic
> recorder so I can manage it as long as I remember to breathe. The EWI
> USB came with a simple program based on Garritan Aria which interprets
> the MIDI data and plays a sound as instructed. I suspect something like
> a softsync or VST host would do - if you can suggest other generic names
> I'll have a poke around :-)

Trouble is ... that MIDI has been with us for more than 30 years, and
VST instruments have been around for more than 20 and a lot of things
have changed in that time, including the names of almost everything -
(apparently my keyboard is a "controller")

At one time I think the thing you want might have just been called a
"MIDI sequencer" but I am not even completely sure of that.

How exactly are you going about this ? - are you using the Bluetooth /
BLE connection to a phone / iPhone / tablet and getting the audio out of
that, or are you connecting the recorder direct to a MacBook or PC and
using a MIDI bridge to connect to your MainStage / GarageBand / whatever ?

Looking around on the web it seems like a number of Artinoise users are
hooking up to CakeWalk, but the primary attraction of that might be that
its free.

The only thing I know for sure is that remembering to breathe is a good
idea and you should stick with it.

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: ping Jeff

<xn0n1xp3m8nn87s00x@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1795&group=uk.people.silversurfers#1795

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 22 Aug 2021 10:18:36 GMT
References: <sfntas$3k5$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org> <xn0n1uvn55sasn800p@news.individual.net> <sfoek2$lu5$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org> <xn0n1v8wr6acmdp00q@news.individual.net> <sfq9f6$9q0$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org> <sfqdgr$vm8$1@dont-email.me> <xn0n1w8wi75zogg00s@news.individual.net> <sfqno2$6jv$1@dont-email.me> <xn0n1wsjr7wp53500v@news.individual.net> <sfsv9p$psf$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 10:18 UTC

On 22/08/2021 in message <sfsv9p$psf$1@dont-email.me> Abandoned_Trolley
wrote:

>How exactly are you going about this ? - are you using the Bluetooth / BLE
>connection to a phone / iPhone / tablet and getting the audio out of that,
>or are you connecting the recorder direct to a MacBook or PC and using a
>MIDI bridge to connect to your MainStage / GarageBand / whatever ?

The setup app is iOS/Android so I've found a use for my iPad in setting it
up. In use I connect via Bluetooth to my new Mac Mini M1 and then use
GarageBand, MainStage or the Akai app. Subjectively the instruments in the
Akai app are plain, those in GarageBand a bit tweaked and MainStage
perhaps in the middle. I think you can use GarageBand instruments in
MainStage, that's my next test.

>Looking around on the web it seems like a number of Artinoise users are
>hooking up to CakeWalk, but the primary attraction of that might be that
>its free.

Yes - and I still have the original version (? from Crateive Labs) which
runs on Win 8.1.

>The only thing I know for sure is that remembering to breathe is a good
>idea and you should stick with it.

Oh yes :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
I take full responsibility for what happened - that is why the person that

Re: ping Jeff

<sfu232$uf1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1797&group=uk.people.silversurfers#1797

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 18:38:42 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 17:38 UTC

On 22/08/2021 11:18, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 22/08/2021 in message <sfsv9p$psf$1@dont-email.me> Abandoned_Trolley
> wrote:
>
>> How exactly are you going about this ? - are you using the Bluetooth /
>> BLE connection to a phone / iPhone / tablet and getting the audio out
>> of that, or are you connecting the recorder direct to a MacBook or PC
>> and using a MIDI bridge to connect to your MainStage / GarageBand /
>> whatever ?
>
> The setup app is iOS/Android so I've found a use for my iPad in setting
> it up. In use I connect via Bluetooth to my new Mac Mini M1 and then use
> GarageBand, MainStage or the Akai app. Subjectively the instruments in
> the Akai app are plain, those in GarageBand a bit tweaked and MainStage
> perhaps in the middle. I think you can use GarageBand instruments in
> MainStage, that's my next test.
>

>> Looking around on the web it seems like a number of Artinoise users
>> are hooking up to CakeWalk, but the primary attraction of that might
>> be that its free.
>
> Yes - and I still have the original version (? from Crateive Labs) which
> runs on Win 8.1.
>
>> The only thing I know for sure is that remembering to breathe is a
>> good idea and you should stick with it.
>
> Oh yes :-)

Sounds to me like it might be worth looking in to the business of
importing VST instruments in to GarageBand / MainStage / whatever.

Assuming that its possible then theres bound to be something on YouTube
telling you how to do it, and you can soon find some free VST
instruments on the web to play with.

Obviously get it all working before you think about parting with any
money for instrument downloads though.

Also, you might give some thought to VST effects which might make the
thing sound less dry / bland ?

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: ping Jeff

<sfu3k3$9c2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1798&group=uk.people.silversurfers#1798

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 19:04:51 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 18:04 UTC

Cubase LE is not technically free, it's bundled with some hardware
> products. You might find a pirated version but....

.... if (like me) you have an old Cubase LE version 5 disc which came
with some bit of hardware more than 10 years ago, you can STILL load it
on to a new Windows 10 machine (as I did less than a month ago)

If you load a new version of the eLicenser software before the install,
then Cubase picks it up and works with it and you can create a new
Steinberg account and register the eLicenser with Steinberg.

Steinberg then sends you an activation code for the software which will
get you up and running. However, the licence they send you is a generic
Cubase LE licence, which means you can download and install the latest
Version 11 of LE using your new account credentials with the Steinberg
Library Manager

Steinberg must know whats going on because this disc of mine has been
used at least 5 times.

Anyway ... time passes and at some point Steinberg will send you an
email with some special upgrade offers for LE users. The latest offer
which I used was for an upgrade to Cubase Elements 11, which cost me the
grand sum of £25

I know its a bit of a faff and normally a bit of waiting but even if the
£25 offer wasnt on then I think the normal cost of the upgrade would be
something like £42 so its worth doing. The normal cost of Cubase
Elements is £85.

And if you dont fancy shelling out for the upgrade, you have LE Version
11 to amuse yourself with - free of charge

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: ping Jeff

<xn0n1y3u197oavy013@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1799&group=uk.people.silversurfers#1799

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 22 Aug 2021 19:39:18 GMT
References: <sfntas$3k5$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org> <xn0n1uvn55sasn800p@news.individual.net> <sfoek2$lu5$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org> <xn0n1v8wr6acmdp00q@news.individual.net> <sfq9f6$9q0$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org> <sfqdgr$vm8$1@dont-email.me> <xn0n1w8wi75zogg00s@news.individual.net> <sfqno2$6jv$1@dont-email.me> <xn0n1wsjr7wp53500v@news.individual.net> <sfsv9p$psf$1@dont-email.me> <xn0n1xp3m8nn87s00x@news.individual.net> <sfu232$uf1$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 19:39 UTC

On 22/08/2021 in message <sfu232$uf1$1@dont-email.me> Abandoned_Trolley
wrote:

>Also, you might give some thought to VST effects which might make the
>thing sound less dry / bland ?

I got a suggestion from a FB group today which was "Spotlight" which seems
to be the answer to most things Mac :-)

However, it led to some good news - MainStage actually contains ALL the
GarageBand instruments, I hadn't found them because they are buried in a
menu that meant nothing to me.

I spent the afternoon practising Lara's Theme and Stranger on the Shore,
to make my life complete all I need is Louise Lear to knock on the door nd
say she wants my body...

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
This is as bad as it can get, but don't bet on it