From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Hippeastrum care after flowering
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 17:09:47 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 16:09 UTC

The flowers on my two hippeastrums are fading, and I've already cut
off one lot. But that leaves me with a tall and substantial stem. The
articles on hippeastrum care on the 'net say to cut the stem off at
the same time as you cut the dying flower heads, at least that's how I
read them. But doesn't the stem contribute to the growth of the bulb
in the same way as the leaves?

Should I follow the advice on the 'net and cut the stems now while
they're still green, or wait a few weeks for them to die down and turn
yellow?

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Hippeastrum care after flowering

<t46tok$30h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1807&group=uk.rec.gardening#1807

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Hippeastrum care after flowering
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 20:45:24 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 19:45 UTC

On 25/04/2022 17:09, Chris Hogg wrote:
> The flowers on my two hippeastrums are fading, and I've already cut
> off one lot. But that leaves me with a tall and substantial stem. The
> articles on hippeastrum care on the 'net say to cut the stem off at
> the same time as you cut the dying flower heads, at least that's how I
> read them. But doesn't the stem contribute to the growth of the bulb
> in the same way as the leaves?
>
> Should I follow the advice on the 'net and cut the stems now while
> they're still green, or wait a few weeks for them to die down and turn
> yellow?

As long as you don't let it set seed I doubt that it matters. Like you
I'm inclined to think the stem is able to photosynthesise.

I put mine outside once danger of frost is over.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Hippeastrum care after flowering

<t4ms4a$8fu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1818&group=uk.rec.gardening#1818

From: char...@roselandhouse.co.uk (Charlie Pridham)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 21:55:38 +0100
 by: Charlie Pridham - Sun, 1 May 2022 20:55 UTC

On 25/04/2022 17:09, Chris Hogg wrote:
> The flowers on my two hippeastrums are fading, and I've already cut
> off one lot. But that leaves me with a tall and substantial stem. The
> articles on hippeastrum care on the 'net say to cut the stem off at
> the same time as you cut the dying flower heads, at least that's how I
> read them. But doesn't the stem contribute to the growth of the bulb
> in the same way as the leaves?
>
> Should I follow the advice on the 'net and cut the stems now while
> they're still green, or wait a few weeks for them to die down and turn
> yellow?

I simple ignore ours until all is brown and crispy, 15 years on and
still in the same pot and compost they flower wonderfully every year
with no attention from me!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall