You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Sonoma features

SubjectAuthor
* Sonoma featuresBruce Horrocks
`* Re: Sonoma featuresGraeme Wall
 `* Re: Sonoma featuresChris Ridd
  +- Re: Sonoma featuresChris
  +* Re: Sonoma featuresJohn Hill
  |`* Re: Sonoma featuresGraeme Wall
  | `- Re: Sonoma featuresJohn Hill
  `* Re: Sonoma featuresAndy Hewitt
   +- Re: Sonoma featuresJörg Lorenz
   `* Re: Sonoma featuresJohn Hill
    +* Re: Sonoma featuresLiz Tuddenham
    |`* Re: Sonoma featuresDavid Kennedy
    | +* Re: Sonoma features [OT]Liz Tuddenham
    | |+- Re: Sonoma features [OT]David Kennedy
    | |`- Re: Sonoma features [OT]TimS
    | +* Re: Sonoma featuresTimS
    | |`* Re: Sonoma featuresDavid Kennedy
    | | `- Re: Sonoma featuresGraeme Wall
    | `- Re: Sonoma featuresAndy Hewitt
    `* Re: Sonoma featuresDavid Kennedy
     `- Re: Sonoma featuresJohn Hill

1
Sonoma features

<52928bdb-9d6e-efa3-9a8a-2fe8fb0c4a84@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18034&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18034

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Sonoma features
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 20:29:54 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 19:29 UTC

According to <https://www.apple.com/uk/macos/sonoma/> (scroll down to
near the bottom):

> Reminders. Shopping Lists automatically sort items into categories to
> make shopping easier. Change how items are grouped, and the list
> remembers your preferences. And new Column View organises sections
> into columns across your screen, making it easy to visualise your
> tasks.

Unless the shopping list gets re-ordered according to the aisle order in
my local supermarket, I'm not sure it's going to make a big difference!

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Sonoma features

<uf22lm$392c6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18035&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18035

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Sonoma features
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 21:17:58 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 20:17 UTC

On 27/09/2023 20:29, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> According to <https://www.apple.com/uk/macos/sonoma/> (scroll down to
> near the bottom):
>
>> Reminders. Shopping Lists automatically sort items into categories to
>> make shopping easier. Change how items are grouped, and the list
>> remembers your preferences. And new Column View organises sections
>> into columns across your screen, making it easy to visualise your
>> tasks.
>
> Unless the shopping list gets re-ordered according to the aisle order in
> my local supermarket, I'm not sure it's going to make a big difference!

Isn't there an app for that?
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Sonoma features

<uf347e$3i3au$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18038&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18038

From: chrisr...@mac.com (Chris Ridd)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 06:50:38 +0100
 by: Chris Ridd - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 05:50 UTC

On 27/09/2023 21:17, Graeme Wall wrote:
> On 27/09/2023 20:29, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
>> According to <https://www.apple.com/uk/macos/sonoma/> (scroll down to
>> near the bottom):
>>
>>> Reminders. Shopping Lists automatically sort items into categories to
>>> make shopping easier. Change how items are grouped, and the list
>>> remembers your preferences. And new Column View organises sections
>>> into columns across your screen, making it easy to visualise your
>>> tasks.
>>
>> Unless the shopping list gets re-ordered according to the aisle order
>> in my local supermarket, I'm not sure it's going to make a big
>> difference!
>>

> Isn't there an app for that?

I use the Grocery app (unpaid) on my Mac/iPhone/watch, the one with the
lemon icon, and it effectively reorders your list as you shop and are
checking things off. It doesn't use aisles.

I did use another app a while ago, possibly called Groceries, but it
died when the author (Sophie something?) got hired by Apple. It used
aisles, but I recall it being hard to figure out how to categorise things.

Obviously when stores decide - no doubt "for your convenience" - to
rearrange their aisles, that buggers things up a little too.

--
Chris

Re: Sonoma features

<uf380b$3iqgu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18040&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18040

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 06:55:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:zkNGR+DdIlvS4g3n4aptc2QE0vU=
 by: Chris - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 06:55 UTC

Chris Ridd <chrisridd@mac.com> wrote:
> On 27/09/2023 21:17, Graeme Wall wrote:
>> On 27/09/2023 20:29, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
>>> According to <https://www.apple.com/uk/macos/sonoma/> (scroll down to
>>> near the bottom):

>>> Unless the shopping list gets re-ordered according to the aisle order
>>> in my local supermarket, I'm not sure it's going to make a big
>>> difference!
>>>

>> Isn't there an app for that?
>
> I use the Grocery app (unpaid) on my Mac/iPhone/watch, the one with the
> lemon icon, and it effectively reorders your list as you shop and are
> checking things off. It doesn't use aisles.
>
> I did use another app a while ago, possibly called Groceries, but it
> died when the author (Sophie something?) got hired by Apple. It used
> aisles, but I recall it being hard to figure out how to categorise things.

I like Shopping UK although it's a little less clean and simple than it
used to be due to ads etc. It's nicely british and categorises items.
Although it can't spell "yoghurt" correctly.

> Obviously when stores decide - no doubt "for your convenience" - to
> rearrange their aisles, that buggers things up a little too.

Re: Sonoma features

<uf39v6$3j5go$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18043&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18043

From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 07:28:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 07:28 UTC

On 28 Sep 2023 at 06:50:38 BST, "Chris Ridd" <chrisridd@mac.com> wrote:

> On 27/09/2023 21:17, Graeme Wall wrote:
>> On 27/09/2023 20:29, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
>>> According to <https://www.apple.com/uk/macos/sonoma/> (scroll down to
>>> near the bottom):

>>> Unless the shopping list gets re-ordered according to the aisle order
>>> in my local supermarket, I'm not sure it's going to make a big
>>> difference!
>>>

>> Isn't there an app for that?
>
> I use the Grocery app (unpaid) on my Mac/iPhone/watch, the one with the
> lemon icon, and it effectively reorders your list as you shop and are
> checking things off. It doesn't use aisles.
>
> I did use another app a while ago, possibly called Groceries, but it
> died when the author (Sophie something?) got hired by Apple. It used
> aisles, but I recall it being hard to figure out how to categorise things.
>
> Obviously when stores decide - no doubt "for your convenience" - to
> rearrange their aisles, that buggers things up a little too.

Which, alas, they frequently do.

John.
--
An infinitely complex system can fail in an infinite number of ways.

Re: Sonoma features

<uf3k5f$3ksup$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18045&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18045

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 11:22:39 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Thu, 28 Sep 2023 10:22 UTC

On 28/09/2023 08:28, John Hill wrote:
> On 28 Sep 2023 at 06:50:38 BST, "Chris Ridd" <chrisridd@mac.com> wrote:

>>> Isn't there an app for that?
>>
>> I use the Grocery app (unpaid) on my Mac/iPhone/watch, the one with the
>> lemon icon, and it effectively reorders your list as you shop and are
>> checking things off. It doesn't use aisles.
>>
>> I did use another app a while ago, possibly called Groceries, but it
>> died when the author (Sophie something?) got hired by Apple. It used
>> aisles, but I recall it being hard to figure out how to categorise things.
>>
>> Obviously when stores decide - no doubt "for your convenience" - to
>> rearrange their aisles, that buggers things up a little too.
>
> Which, alas, they frequently do.

Supposedly because it gets people to look around more while trying to
find what they came to buy and end up making impulse purchases.
Strangely the rest of the world doesn't seem to agree with them. I can
go into supermarkets across Europe and even Argentina and know exactly
where to go to find what I want.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Sonoma features

<uf62t0$6kji$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18068&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18068

From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 08:46:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 08:46 UTC

On 28 Sep 2023 at 11:22:39 BST, "Graeme Wall" <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 28/09/2023 08:28, John Hill wrote:

>>> I use the Grocery app (unpaid) on my Mac/iPhone/watch, the one with the
>>> lemon icon, and it effectively reorders your list as you shop and are
>>> checking things off. It doesn't use aisles.
>>>
>>> I did use another app a while ago, possibly called Groceries, but it
>>> died when the author (Sophie something?) got hired by Apple. It used
>>> aisles, but I recall it being hard to figure out how to categorise things.
>>>
>>> Obviously when stores decide - no doubt "for your convenience" - to
>>> rearrange their aisles, that buggers things up a little too.
>>
>> Which, alas, they frequently do.
>>

> Supposedly because it gets people to look around more while trying to
> find what they came to buy and end up making impulse purchases.
> Strangely the rest of the world doesn't seem to agree with them. I can
> go into supermarkets across Europe and even Argentina and know exactly
> where to go to find what I want.

Rather counter-productive, because if I can't find something that I buy only
occasionally, I either give up and do without or find an assistant (yes, they
DO exist) and ask.

John.
--
You're not an old dog until you can't learn new tricks.

Re: Sonoma features

<uf7bpk$eff9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18078&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18078

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 21:24:20 +0100
 by: Andy Hewitt - Fri, 29 Sep 2023 20:24 UTC

On 28/09/2023 06:50, Chris Ridd wrote:
> On 27/09/2023 21:17, Graeme Wall wrote:
>> On 27/09/2023 20:29, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
>>> According to <https://www.apple.com/uk/macos/sonoma/> (scroll down to
>>> near the bottom):

>>> Unless the shopping list gets re-ordered according to the aisle order
>>> in my local supermarket, I'm not sure it's going to make a big
>>> difference!
>>>

>> Isn't there an app for that?
>
> I use the Grocery app (unpaid) on my Mac/iPhone/watch, the one with the
> lemon icon, and it effectively reorders your list as you shop and are
> checking things off. It doesn't use aisles.
>
> I did use another app a while ago, possibly called Groceries, but it
> died when the author (Sophie something?) got hired by Apple. It used
> aisles, but I recall it being hard to figure out how to categorise things.
>
> Obviously when stores decide - no doubt "for your convenience" - to
> rearrange their aisles, that buggers things up a little too.

For that we still use good old pen and paper.

Some things just feel like reinventing the wheel ;-)

--
Andy H

Re: Sonoma features

<uf8c1s$pbpt$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18079&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18079

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 07:34:52 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 05:34 UTC

Am 29.09.23 um 22:24 schrieb Andy Hewitt:
> On 28/09/2023 06:50, Chris Ridd wrote:

>>> Isn't there an app for that?
>>
>> I use the Grocery app (unpaid) on my Mac/iPhone/watch, the one with the
>> lemon icon, and it effectively reorders your list as you shop and are
>> checking things off. It doesn't use aisles.
>>
>> I did use another app a while ago, possibly called Groceries, but it
>> died when the author (Sophie something?) got hired by Apple. It used
>> aisles, but I recall it being hard to figure out how to categorise things.
>>
>> Obviously when stores decide - no doubt "for your convenience" - to
>> rearrange their aisles, that buggers things up a little too.
>
> For that we still use good old pen and paper.
>
> Some things just feel like reinventing the wheel ;-)

Dementia is resistant to technology.
*SCNR*

--
Manus manum lavat

Re: Sonoma features

<uf8mcu$pcj8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18080&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18080

From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 08:31:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 08:31 UTC

On 29 Sep 2023 at 21:24:20 BST, "Andy Hewitt" <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

> On 28/09/2023 06:50, Chris Ridd wrote:

>>> Isn't there an app for that?
>>
>> I use the Grocery app (unpaid) on my Mac/iPhone/watch, the one with the
>> lemon icon, and it effectively reorders your list as you shop and are
>> checking things off. It doesn't use aisles.
>>
>> I did use another app a while ago, possibly called Groceries, but it
>> died when the author (Sophie something?) got hired by Apple. It used
>> aisles, but I recall it being hard to figure out how to categorise things.
>>
>> Obviously when stores decide - no doubt "for your convenience" - to
>> rearrange their aisles, that buggers things up a little too.
>
> For that we still use good old pen and paper.
>
> Some things just feel like reinventing the wheel ;-)

I say "Alexa, add (whatever)" and she replies "I've added (whatever) to your
shopping list".

But when it comes to doing the shopping I transcribe the list onto paper in a
sensible walk-round-the-store order. Much quicker.

I then erase them from Alexa's list when I've actually got the items home, so
if something was not available it doesn't slip through the cracks in my
memory.

John.
..
God made the integers; all else is the work of man.

Re: Sonoma features

<1qhvbvf.oyru4ev7obcwN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18091&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18091

From: liz...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 11:33:39 +0100
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 10:33 UTC

John Hill <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

[...]
> I say "Alexa, add (whatever)" and she replies "I've added (whatever) to your
> shopping list".
>
> But when it comes to doing the shopping I transcribe the list onto paper in a
> sensible walk-round-the-store order. Much quicker.
>
> I then erase them from Alexa's list when I've actually got the items home, so
> if something was not available it doesn't slip through the cracks in my
> memory.

I have to guillotine A4 sheets of stiff paper to the size of CD covers,
so I have bagfulls of offcuts 30 - 40 mm wide. I keep one with a pen at
the side of the kitchen worktop. There is no warm-up time or login
required, I just scribble down a note of any item I need. It also works
during power cuts if the Tilley lamp behaves itself.

If I can remember to take it to the supemarket (that's the difficult
bit) I carry it around with me and when I buy each item I tear the strip
partly across that item on the list. The untorn items stand out as the
ones I have yet to find. I list items from the second supermarket I
visit at the other end of the strip - but any that I haven't been able
to get at the first supermarket will still be untorn, as a reminder to
get them at the second.

I could take the list home and transfer any unbought items to next
week's list, but I rarely remember to do that - and the chances are that
the reason I didn't find them was because they had been discontinued.

So far, I haven't discovered a way of making money from selling the
information on the strips, but I'm sure there are plenty of scammers who
would like to get their hands on them.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Sonoma features

<d2ydnU-4v626YYr4nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18094&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18094

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: davidken...@gmail.com (David Kennedy)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 11:44:55 +0100
 by: David Kennedy - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 10:44 UTC

On 30/09/2023 09:31, John Hill wrote:

> I say "Alexa, add (whatever)" and she replies "I've added (whatever) to your
> shopping list".
>
> But when it comes to doing the shopping I transcribe the list onto paper in a
> sensible walk-round-the-store order. Much quicker.
>
> I then erase them from Alexa's list when I've actually got the items home, so
> if something was not available it doesn't slip through the cracks in my
> memory.
>
> John.
And then presumably when you get home you lie down in a darkened room for a
short rest?

Re: Sonoma features

<d2ydnUm4v61JYYr4nZ2dnZfqn_EAAAAA@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18096&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18096

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: davidken...@gmail.com (David Kennedy)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 11:47:48 +0100
 by: David Kennedy - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 10:47 UTC

On 30/09/2023 11:33, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> John Hill <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> [...]
>> I say "Alexa, add (whatever)" and she replies "I've added (whatever) to your
>> shopping list".
>>
>> But when it comes to doing the shopping I transcribe the list onto paper in a
>> sensible walk-round-the-store order. Much quicker.
>>
>> I then erase them from Alexa's list when I've actually got the items home, so
>> if something was not available it doesn't slip through the cracks in my
>> memory.
>

> I have to guillotine A4 sheets of stiff paper to the size of CD covers,
> so I have bagfulls of offcuts 30 - 40 mm wide. I keep one with a pen at
> the side of the kitchen worktop. There is no warm-up time or login
> required, I just scribble down a note of any item I need. It also works
> during power cuts if the Tilley lamp behaves itself.
>
> If I can remember to take it to the supemarket (that's the difficult
> bit) I carry it around with me and when I buy each item I tear the strip
> partly across that item on the list. The untorn items stand out as the
> ones I have yet to find. I list items from the second supermarket I
> visit at the other end of the strip - but any that I haven't been able
> to get at the first supermarket will still be untorn, as a reminder to
> get them at the second.
>
> I could take the list home and transfer any unbought items to next
> week's list, but I rarely remember to do that - and the chances are that
> the reason I didn't find them was because they had been discontinued.
>
> So far, I haven't discovered a way of making money from selling the
> information on the strips, but I'm sure there are plenty of scammers who
> would like to get their hands on them.

I'm exhausted just reading about all these differing methodologies!

Whatever happened to just wandering around and buying the things you need?

Re: Sonoma features [OT]

<1qhvdfm.9da9nspa3btwN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18097&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18097

From: liz...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Sonoma features [OT]
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 12:03:55 +0100
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 11:03 UTC

David Kennedy <davidkennedygm@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30/09/2023 11:33, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> > John Hill <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >> I say "Alexa, add (whatever)" and she replies "I've added (whatever) to
> >> your shopping list".
> >>
> >> But when it comes to doing the shopping I transcribe the list onto
> >> paper in a sensible walk-round-the-store order. Much quicker.
> >>
> >> I then erase them from Alexa's list when I've actually got the items
> >> home, so if something was not available it doesn't slip through the
> >> cracks in my memory.
> >

> > I have to guillotine A4 sheets of stiff paper to the size of CD covers,
> > so I have bagfulls of offcuts 30 - 40 mm wide. I keep one with a pen at
> > the side of the kitchen worktop. There is no warm-up time or login
> > required, I just scribble down a note of any item I need. It also works
> > during power cuts if the Tilley lamp behaves itself.
> >
> > If I can remember to take it to the supemarket (that's the difficult
> > bit) I carry it around with me and when I buy each item I tear the strip
> > partly across that item on the list. The untorn items stand out as the
> > ones I have yet to find. I list items from the second supermarket I
> > visit at the other end of the strip - but any that I haven't been able
> > to get at the first supermarket will still be untorn, as a reminder to
> > get them at the second.
> >
> > I could take the list home and transfer any unbought items to next
> > week's list, but I rarely remember to do that - and the chances are that
> > the reason I didn't find them was because they had been discontinued.
> >
> > So far, I haven't discovered a way of making money from selling the
> > information on the strips, but I'm sure there are plenty of scammers who
> > would like to get their hands on them.
> >

> I'm exhausted just reading about all these differing methodologies!
>
> Whatever happened to just wandering around and buying the things you need?

When you're my age you forget which items you need - more especially in
supermarkets that play dreadful background music.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Sonoma features

<knqdqeF7kpvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18098&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18098

From: tim...@streater.me.uk (TimS)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 30 Sep 2023 11:06:54 GMT
 by: TimS - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 11:06 UTC

On 30 Sep 2023 at 11:47:48 BST, "David Kennedy" <davidkennedygm@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 30/09/2023 11:33, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
>> John Hill <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>> I say "Alexa, add (whatever)" and she replies "I've added (whatever) to your
>>> shopping list".
>>>
>>> But when it comes to doing the shopping I transcribe the list onto paper in a
>>> sensible walk-round-the-store order. Much quicker.
>>>
>>> I then erase them from Alexa's list when I've actually got the items home, so
>>> if something was not available it doesn't slip through the cracks in my
>>> memory.

[snip the correct way to deal with shopping lists]

> I'm exhausted just reading about all these differing methodologies!
>
> Whatever happened to just wandering around and buying the things you need?

Well quite. Apple watch, Siri, etc, all solutions looking for a problem.

--
Tim

Re: Sonoma features [OT]

<uf90j1$r7lt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18100&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18100

From: davidken...@gmail.com (David Kennedy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 12:25:20 +0100
 by: David Kennedy - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 11:25 UTC

On 30/09/2023 12:03, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> David Kennedy <davidkennedygm@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 30/09/2023 11:33, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
>>> John Hill <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>

>>> I have to guillotine A4 sheets of stiff paper to the size of CD covers,
>>> so I have bagfulls of offcuts 30 - 40 mm wide. I keep one with a pen at
>>> the side of the kitchen worktop. There is no warm-up time or login
>>> required, I just scribble down a note of any item I need. It also works
>>> during power cuts if the Tilley lamp behaves itself.
>>>
>>> If I can remember to take it to the supemarket (that's the difficult
>>> bit) I carry it around with me and when I buy each item I tear the strip
>>> partly across that item on the list. The untorn items stand out as the
>>> ones I have yet to find. I list items from the second supermarket I
>>> visit at the other end of the strip - but any that I haven't been able
>>> to get at the first supermarket will still be untorn, as a reminder to
>>> get them at the second.
>>>
>>> I could take the list home and transfer any unbought items to next
>>> week's list, but I rarely remember to do that - and the chances are that
>>> the reason I didn't find them was because they had been discontinued.
>>>
>>> So far, I haven't discovered a way of making money from selling the
>>> information on the strips, but I'm sure there are plenty of scammers who
>>> would like to get their hands on them.
>>>

>> I'm exhausted just reading about all these differing methodologies!
>>
>> Whatever happened to just wandering around and buying the things you need?
>
> When you're my age you forget which items you need - more especially in
> supermarkets that play dreadful background music.

Don't get the background musak here - thank God! - but I do have the memory
thingy. But surely that's all part of the adventure? Checking the bags when
you get home to discover what you actually bought compared with what you need?

Re: Sonoma features

<uf90l9$r7lt$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18101&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18101

From: davidken...@gmail.com (David Kennedy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 12:26:33 +0100
 by: David Kennedy - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 11:26 UTC

On 30/09/2023 12:06, TimS wrote:
> On 30 Sep 2023 at 11:47:48 BST, "David Kennedy" <davidkennedygm@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 30/09/2023 11:33, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
>>> John Hill <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>
> [snip the correct way to deal with shopping lists]
>
>> I'm exhausted just reading about all these differing methodologies!
>>
>> Whatever happened to just wandering around and buying the things you need?
>
> Well quite. Apple watch, Siri, etc, all solutions looking for a problem.

Exactly. Very often I discover things that I'd never heard of that I need.

Re: Sonoma features [OT]

<knqgpqF83uhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18103&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18103

From: tim...@streater.me.uk (TimS)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 30 Sep 2023 11:57:46 GMT
 by: TimS - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 11:57 UTC

On 30 Sep 2023 at 12:03:55 BST, "Liz Tuddenham" <Liz Tuddenham> wrote:

> David Kennedy <davidkennedygm@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 30/09/2023 11:33, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
>>> John Hill <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>

>>> I have to guillotine A4 sheets of stiff paper to the size of CD covers,
>>> so I have bagfulls of offcuts 30 - 40 mm wide. I keep one with a pen at
>>> the side of the kitchen worktop. There is no warm-up time or login
>>> required, I just scribble down a note of any item I need. It also works
>>> during power cuts if the Tilley lamp behaves itself.
>>>
>>> If I can remember to take it to the supemarket (that's the difficult
>>> bit) I carry it around with me and when I buy each item I tear the strip
>>> partly across that item on the list. The untorn items stand out as the
>>> ones I have yet to find. I list items from the second supermarket I
>>> visit at the other end of the strip - but any that I haven't been able
>>> to get at the first supermarket will still be untorn, as a reminder to
>>> get them at the second.
>>>
>>> I could take the list home and transfer any unbought items to next
>>> week's list, but I rarely remember to do that - and the chances are that
>>> the reason I didn't find them was because they had been discontinued.
>>>
>>> So far, I haven't discovered a way of making money from selling the
>>> information on the strips, but I'm sure there are plenty of scammers who
>>> would like to get their hands on them.
>>>

>> I'm exhausted just reading about all these differing methodologies!
>>
>> Whatever happened to just wandering around and buying the things you need?
>
> When you're my age you forget which items you need - more especially in
> supermarkets that play dreadful background music.

+1

What's more, making a list can force you to go around and check to see what
else you're nearly out of.

--
Tim

Re: Sonoma features

<uf9dks$ursp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18111&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18111

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 16:08:11 +0100
 by: Andy Hewitt - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 15:08 UTC

On 30/09/2023 11:47, David Kennedy wrote:

> I'm exhausted just reading about all these differing methodologies!
>
> Whatever happened to just wandering around and buying the things you need?

That's no good to me, because I'm a sucker for the aisle/end of aisle
display offers :-O. Even with a list I end up with another £30 spent on
'ooh we need that', or 'wow, that's a bargain'.

To be more accurate now though, we mostly online shop, and get it
delivered. That actually works better, as I don't see it, and all those
nice bargains. The missus keeps control of it, and it's easier to stick
to regular items, and add only a few extras as needed.

It's just better if I'm kept me out of the supermarket.

--
Andy H

Re: Sonoma features

<uf9mq4$11u9p$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18122&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18122

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 18:44:36 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 17:44 UTC

On 30/09/2023 12:26, David Kennedy wrote:
> On 30/09/2023 12:06, TimS wrote:
>> On 30 Sep 2023 at 11:47:48 BST, "David Kennedy"
>> <davidkennedygm@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> [snip the correct way to deal with shopping lists]
>>
>>> I'm exhausted just reading about all these differing methodologies!
>>>
>>> Whatever happened to just wandering around and buying the things you
>>> need?
>>
>> Well quite. Apple watch, Siri, etc, all solutions looking for a problem.
>>
> Exactly. Very often I discover things that I'd never heard of that I need.

Which is why they periodically move everything around in the store.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Sonoma features

<ufb9vc$1fcft$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18132&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18132

From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 08:17:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 08:17 UTC

On 30 Sep 2023 at 11:44:55 BST, "David Kennedy" <davidkennedygm@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 30/09/2023 09:31, John Hill wrote:
>>
>> I say "Alexa, add (whatever)" and she replies "I've added (whatever) to your
>> shopping list".
>>
>> But when it comes to doing the shopping I transcribe the list onto paper in a
>> sensible walk-round-the-store order. Much quicker.
>>
>> I then erase them from Alexa's list when I've actually got the items home, so
>> if something was not available it doesn't slip through the cracks in my
>> memory.
>>
>> John.
> And then presumably when you get home you lie down in a darkened room for a
> short rest?

No, I pour myself a whisky and relax before putting it all away (except
anything that happens to be frozen, of course, that goes into the freezer
pronto).

John.
--
You're not an old dog until you can't learn new tricks.