Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: Location services different on iPhone and Watch?

SubjectAuthor
* Location services different on iPhone and Watch?Martin S Taylor
+* Re: Location services different on iPhone and Watch?Bruce Horrocks
|`- Re: Location services different on iPhone and Watch?Chris Ridd
+* Re: Location services different on iPhone and Watch?Ant
|`- Re: Location services different on iPhone and Watch?Theo
`- Re: Location services different on iPhone and Watch?jeremy

1
Location services different on iPhone and Watch?

<0001HW.2A98A9AB018D052670000DA5038F@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17739&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17739

From: correspo...@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com (Martin S Taylor)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Location services different on iPhone and Watch?
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 10:19:39 +0100
 by: Martin S Taylor - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 09:19 UTC

Hi:

I live in West Byfleet, and for as long as I've lived here my Apple watch and
my iPhone give my location as "West Byfleet".

Over the last couple of weeks, my iPhone and iPad (and Valentina's iPhone and
iPad) have been consistently giving our locations as "Woking", which is about
five miles away, although our watches still show us as in "West Byfleet".

Any thoughts?

Martin S Taylor

Re: Location services different on iPhone and Watch?

<4b4caefa-a5df-a8df-112f-98988f16e3f7@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17746&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17746

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2023 21:33:43 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 20:33 UTC

On 25/08/2023 10:19, Martin S Taylor wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I live in West Byfleet, and for as long as I've lived here my Apple watch and
> my iPhone give my location as "West Byfleet".
>
> Over the last couple of weeks, my iPhone and iPad (and Valentina's iPhone and
> iPad) have been consistently giving our locations as "Woking", which is about
> five miles away, although our watches still show us as in "West Byfleet".
>
> Any thoughts?

You have very, very long arms?

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Location services different on iPhone and Watch?

<uccfvb$h3oi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17748&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17748

From: chrisr...@mac.com (Chris Ridd)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 10:17:30 +0100
 by: Chris Ridd - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 09:17 UTC

On 25/08/2023 21:33, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> On 25/08/2023 10:19, Martin S Taylor wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> I live in West Byfleet, and for as long as I've lived here my Apple
>> watch and
>> my iPhone give my location as "West Byfleet".
>>
>> Over the last couple of weeks, my iPhone and iPad (and Valentina's
>> iPhone and
>> iPad) have been consistently giving our locations as "Woking", which
>> is about
>> five miles away, although our watches still show us as in "West Byfleet".
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> You have very, very long arms?

Ha ha!

--
Chris

Re: Location services different on iPhone and Watch?

<rv2dnaQvItYeM3f5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17749&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17749

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 02:01:39 +0000
 by: Ant - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 02:01 UTC

Martin S Taylor <correspondence@mraermtoivnestthaiyslor.com> wrote:
> Hi:

> I live in West Byfleet, and for as long as I've lived here my Apple watch and
> my iPhone give my location as "West Byfleet".

> Over the last couple of weeks, my iPhone and iPad (and Valentina's iPhone and
> iPad) have been consistently giving our locations as "Woking", which is about
> five miles away, although our watches still show us as in "West Byfleet".

> Any thoughts?

> Martin S Taylor

I have seen this too with iPhones, iPad Air, and MacBook Pros. I noticed iPad is always a bit off within a neighborhood range.

--
"Like the coolness of snow at harvest time is a trustworthy messenger to those who send him; he refreshes the spirit of his masters." --Proverbs 25:13. RIP, Bob Barker who didn't hit 100. Dang old tired bodies with issues. :(
| |o o| |

Re: Location services different on iPhone and Watch?

<6vf*mOToz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17754&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#17754

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 27 Aug 2023 16:13:54 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sun, 27 Aug 2023 15:13 UTC

Ant <ant@zimage.comant> wrote:
> Martin S Taylor <correspondence@mraermtoivnestthaiyslor.com> wrote:
> > Hi:
>
> > I live in West Byfleet, and for as long as I've lived here my Apple watch and
> > my iPhone give my location as "West Byfleet".
>
> > Over the last couple of weeks, my iPhone and iPad (and Valentina's iPhone and
> > iPad) have been consistently giving our locations as "Woking", which is about
> > five miles away, although our watches still show us as in "West Byfleet".
>
> > Any thoughts?
>
> > Martin S Taylor
>
> I have seen this too with iPhones, iPad Air, and MacBook Pros. I noticed
> iPad is always a bit off within a neighborhood range.

Is this because iPhones and (most) Watches have GPS, whereas no Macbooks and
only cellular iPads do? For those devices without GPS they have to do
location via IP address or wifi access point, which is less accurate.

Theo

Re: Location services different on iPhone and Watch?

<kolkj4Fro6gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18199&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18199

From: jeremy0...@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 10 Oct 2023 18:48:05 GMT
 by: jeremy - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 18:48 UTC

On 25 Aug 2023 at 10:19:39 BST, "Martin S Taylor"
<correspondence@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I live in West Byfleet, and for as long as I've lived here my Apple watch and
> my iPhone give my location as "West Byfleet".

I went to school in West Byfleet in 1974.

--
jeremy