aus+uk / aus.cars / Scantools are the be all and end all....Of everything!.

SubjectAuthor
* Scantools are the be all and end all....Of everything!.jonz
`* Re: Scantools are the be all and end all....Of everything!.Daryl
 +* Re: Scantools are the be all and end all....Of everything!.Noddy
 |+* Re: Scantools are the be all and end all....Of everything!.Daryl
 ||+- Re: Scantools are the be all and end all....Of everything!.Noddy
 ||`- Re: Scantools are the be all and end all....Of everything!.Xeno
 |`- Re: Scantools are the be all and end all....Of everything!.Clocky
 `- Re: Scantools are the be all and end all....Of everything!.Clocky

1
Scantools are the be all and end all....Of everything!.

<tdt2jn$28rf3$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18286&group=aus.cars#18286

From: jon...@overthere.com (jonz)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Scantools are the be all and end all....Of everything!.
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 20:49:27 +1000
 by: jonz - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 10:49 UTC

Hey Tikky, (or whomever) if yer span of attention allows (G) Check out
this Vid., and give me yer opinion on it.. (And the methodology used.)

https://youtu.be/C6K37uQkbL4

Re: Scantools are the be all and end all....Of everything!.

<jmelsnFjv8fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18288&group=aus.cars#18288

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 22:14:13 +1000
 by: Daryl - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 12:14 UTC

On 21/8/2022 8:49 pm, jonz wrote:
>  Hey Tikky, (or whomever) if yer span of attention allows (G) Check out
> this Vid., and give me yer opinion on it.. (And the methodology used.)
>
>                      https://youtu.be/C6K37uQkbL4

Pretty good methodology eliminating the injector or coil pack as the
problem.
I'd do compression and leak down tests next.
With Toyota's history of Camry engine sludging I'd be suspecting a stuck
ring, before dismantling the engine I'd try pouring a small quantity of
diesel or some other carbon dissolving fluid into the cylinder and let
it soak for a couple of hours before trying it again.

--
Daryl

Re: Scantools are the be all and end all....Of everything!.

<tdth3d$2c66n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18294&group=aus.cars#18294

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 00:56:42 +1000
 by: Noddy - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 14:56 UTC

On 21/08/2022 10:14 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 21/8/2022 8:49 pm, jonz wrote:
>>   Hey Tikky, (or whomever) if yer span of attention allows (G) Check
>> out this Vid., and give me yer opinion on it.. (And the methodology
>> used.)
>>
>>                       https://youtu.be/C6K37uQkbL4
>>

> Pretty good methodology eliminating the injector or coil pack as the
> problem.

Parts swapping, huh? Jeez. Whoda thought that would result in anything
conclusive? :)

> I'd do compression and leak down tests next.

Agreed, although I'd probably do a leakdown test for a more accurate
result.

> With Toyota's history of Camry engine sludging I'd be suspecting a stuck
> ring, before dismantling the engine I'd try pouring a small quantity of
> diesel or some other carbon dissolving fluid into the cylinder and let
> it soak for a couple of hours before trying it again.

Couldn't hurt, although by the looks of the scoring on the bore walls
the damage has already been done.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Scantools are the be all and end all....Of everything!.

<jmfrbsFplulU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18295&group=aus.cars#18295

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 08:53:48 +1000
 by: Daryl - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 22:53 UTC

On 22/8/2022 12:56 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 21/08/2022 10:14 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 21/8/2022 8:49 pm, jonz wrote:
>>>   Hey Tikky, (or whomever) if yer span of attention allows (G) Check
>>> out this Vid., and give me yer opinion on it.. (And the methodology
>>> used.)
>>>
>>>                       https://youtu.be/C6K37uQkbL4
>>>

>> Pretty good methodology eliminating the injector or coil pack as the
>> problem.
>
> Parts swapping, huh? Jeez. Whoda thought that would result in anything
> conclusive? :)
>
>> I'd do compression and leak down tests next.
>
> Agreed, although I'd probably do a leakdown test for a more accurate
> result.
>
>> With Toyota's history of Camry engine sludging I'd be suspecting a
>> stuck ring, before dismantling the engine I'd try pouring a small
>> quantity of diesel or some other carbon dissolving fluid into the
>> cylinder and let it soak for a couple of hours before trying it again.
>
> Couldn't hurt, although by the looks of the scoring on the bore walls
> the damage has already been done.

I must have missed seeing that, if the bore is scored then its an engine
out job.

--
Daryl

Re: Scantools are the be all and end all....Of everything!.

<tduhe2$2f89c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18299&group=aus.cars#18299

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 10:08:33 +1000
 by: Noddy - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 00:08 UTC

On 22/08/2022 8:53 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 22/8/2022 12:56 am, Noddy wrote:

>> Couldn't hurt, although by the looks of the scoring on the bore walls
>> the damage has already been done.
>>
> I must have missed seeing that, if the bore is scored then its an engine
> out job.

Yep. It wasn't excessively bad, but it meant that the cylinder would
never hold a proper ring seal and is always going to have oil problems.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Scantools are the be all and end all....Of everything!.

<jmg95jFrlu5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18304&group=aus.cars#18304

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: 22 Aug 2022 02:49:23 GMT
 by: Xeno - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 02:49 UTC

Daryl <dwalford@westpine.com.au> wrote:
> On 22/8/2022 12:56 am, Noddy wrote:

>>> Pretty good methodology eliminating the injector or coil pack as the
>>> problem.
>>
>> Parts swapping, huh? Jeez. Whoda thought that would result in anything
>> conclusive? :)
>>
>>> I'd do compression and leak down tests next.
>>
>> Agreed, although I'd probably do a leakdown test for a more accurate
>> result.
>>
>>> With Toyota's history of Camry engine sludging I'd be suspecting a
>>> stuck ring, before dismantling the engine I'd try pouring a small
>>> quantity of diesel or some other carbon dissolving fluid into the
>>> cylinder and let it soak for a couple of hours before trying it again.
>>
>> Couldn't hurt, although by the looks of the scoring on the bore walls
>> the damage has already been done.
>>

> I must have missed seeing that, if the bore is scored then its an engine
> out job.

There’s a lot of things you’ve missed seeing. Unfortunately for you, that
started with your apprenticeship and it appears to have been all downhill
from there.

____
Xeno

Re: Scantools are the be all and end all....Of everything!.

<tdutf6$2ivbd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18310&group=aus.cars#18310

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 11:33:51 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 03:33 UTC

On 21/08/2022 8:14 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 21/8/2022 8:49 pm, jonz wrote:
>>   Hey Tikky, (or whomever) if yer span of attention allows (G) Check
>> out this Vid., and give me yer opinion on it.. (And the methodology
>> used.)
>>
>>                       https://youtu.be/C6K37uQkbL4
>>

> Pretty good methodology eliminating the injector or coil pack as the
> problem.
> I'd do compression and leak down tests next.
> With Toyota's history of Camry engine sludging I'd be suspecting a stuck
> ring, before dismantling the engine I'd try pouring a small quantity of
> diesel or some other carbon dissolving fluid into the cylinder and let
> it soak for a couple of hours before trying it again.

I didn't see the original message as the "village idiot" is in my
killfile. FWIW, in one of his videos he diagnoses an very intermittent
misfire using the same method I described to diagnose the same on
NoddyLiar's imagined Commodore with the same issue - no part swapping
required - using nothing but the fuel trim data as *every* real mechanic
would know to do.

I'll watch the video when I get home.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if

Re: Scantools are the be all and end all....Of everything!.

<tduu6j$2j11g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18311&group=aus.cars#18311

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 11:46:19 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 03:46 UTC

On 21/08/2022 10:56 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 21/08/2022 10:14 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 21/8/2022 8:49 pm, jonz wrote:
>>>   Hey Tikky, (or whomever) if yer span of attention allows (G) Check
>>> out this Vid., and give me yer opinion on it.. (And the methodology
>>> used.)
>>>
>>>                       https://youtu.be/C6K37uQkbL4
>>>

>> Pretty good methodology eliminating the injector or coil pack as the
>> problem.
>
> Parts swapping, huh? Jeez. Whoda thought that would result in anything
> conclusive? :)

There is a big difference between part swapping to diagnose a specific
fault and the shotgunning you did, pal.

There was nothing conclusive about the "diagnosis" you pretended to have
performed for the fault you described on your imaginary Commodore where
the solution to diagnose the fault with 100% certainty was possible with
a scan tool.

Bet you don't even know what long and short term fuel trim data is.