From: nob...@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: spiral/expandable hose for outside tap.
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 11:28:31 +0100
 by: Janet - Fri, 6 May 2022 10:28 UTC

I'm thinking of buying one of these, to use for lazy watering pots
and washing the car. 15 m length will be plenty.
When not in use it's required to lie down, curl up and stay
discreetly out of sight behind a border of enthusiastic helleborus
foetidus.
Any advantages for the spring-coil kind or the stretchy expanding
nylon?

Any experiences, brand recommendations/ dire warnings welcome

Janet

Re: spiral/expandable hose for outside tap.

<8c7c7hlk1qgvmjv2dc26nhcuoji6hc23mm@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1833&group=uk.rec.gardening#1833

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: spiral/expandable hose for outside tap.
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 08:23:00 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Sat, 7 May 2022 07:23 UTC

On Fri, 6 May 2022 11:28:31 +0100, Janet <nobody@home.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking of buying one of these, to use for lazy watering pots
>and washing the car. 15 m length will be plenty.
> When not in use it's required to lie down, curl up and stay
>discreetly out of sight behind a border of enthusiastic helleborus
>foetidus.
> Any advantages for the spring-coil kind or the stretchy expanding
>nylon?
>
> Any experiences, brand recommendations/ dire warnings welcome
>
> Janet

I had one, many years ago. IIRC it was a pain to use, but can't now
remember details. I've stayed with conventional hoses, rubber or
reinforced braided PVC ever since.

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: spiral/expandable hose for outside tap.

<jdmmqjF7jcaU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1835&group=uk.rec.gardening#1835

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 08:52:49 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sat, 7 May 2022 07:52 UTC

On 06/05/2022 11:28, Janet wrote:

> I'm thinking of buying one of these, to use for lazy watering pots
> and washing the car. 15 m length will be plenty.
> When not in use it's required to lie down, curl up and stay
> discreetly out of sight behind a border of enthusiastic helleborus
> foetidus.
> Any advantages for the spring-coil kind or the stretchy expanding
> nylon?
>
> Any experiences, brand recommendations/ dire warnings welcome
>
> Janet

The expandable ones (that change length) will only last a very short
time! The hose inside the nylon covering is very thin as it needs to
stretch, but splits easily. They don't like being taken around the sharp
corner of a wall etc. Neither of the two my mother has had in the past
lasted more than half a summer.

With the tightly coiled coiled ones you are always fighting the coil
wanting to return to its original configuration. Put the end down to
wash part of the car and it will be 5 mitres away when you want to use
it again :)

There is another option of one of the smaller bore hoses rather than the
1/2 inch hose. For a given length these are possibly 1/3 of the bulk of
a full size hose.

Re: spiral/expandable hose for outside tap.

<jdnj2tFcochU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1838&group=uk.rec.gardening#1838

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 16:55:09 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 7 May 2022 15:55 UTC

Janet wrote:

> I'm thinking of buying one of these, to use for lazy watering pots
> and washing the car. 15 m length will be plenty.
> When not in use it's required to lie down, curl up and stay
> discreetly out of sight behind a border of enthusiastic helleborus
> foetidus.
> Any advantages for the spring-coil kind or the stretchy expanding
> nylon?
>
> Any experiences, brand recommendations/ dire warnings welcome

Dad had one, it was crap (maybe it was cheap, i don't know) bore was under 1/4"
so particularly rubbish for car washing, had a bit of a mind of its own.

Re: spiral/expandable hose for outside tap.

<kJKdnZFZR7rOFOr_nZ2dnUU7-UvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1839&group=uk.rec.gardening#1839

Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 10:11:46 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
From: mik...@mattishall.org.uk (Mike Rogers)
 by: Mike Rogers - Sun, 8 May 2022 09:11 UTC

On 06/05/2022 11:28, Janet wrote:

> I'm thinking of buying one of these, to use for lazy watering pots
> and washing the car. 15 m length will be plenty.
> When not in use it's required to lie down, curl up and stay
> discreetly out of sight behind a border of enthusiastic helleborus
> foetidus.
> Any advantages for the spring-coil kind or the stretchy expanding
> nylon?
>
> Any experiences, brand recommendations/ dire warnings welcome
>
> Janet

Previous owners of our house left one for us. Its at least four years
old (that's how long we have been here) and still in good usable
condition. However its an untidy thing that doesn't recoil neatly but
just sprawls all over the place.

I find a decent normal hose on a good reel is far better and neater.

Mike

Re: spiral/expandable hose for outside tap.

<FaVdK.8712$t72a.2222@fx10.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1844&group=uk.rec.gardening#1844

From: george.d...@innocent.com (John P)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 20:51:00 +0100
 by: John P - Sun, 8 May 2022 19:51 UTC

wrote:

> I'm thinking of buying one of these, to use for lazy watering pots
> and washing the car. 15 m length will be plenty.
> When not in use it's required to lie down, curl up and stay
> discreetly out of sight behind a border of enthusiastic helleborus
> foetidus.
> Any advantages for the spring-coil kind or the stretchy expanding
> nylon?
>
> Any experiences, brand recommendations/ dire warnings welcome
>
> Janet

My daughter bought a job lot of Hozelock expandable hoses
that were Screwfix customer returns to sell on ebay. Half
of them had burst, and I think the reason for that is
people don't know how to use them. She gave me one of
them last summer and I'm still using it now with no
problems. It's so much easier to manoeuvre and put away
then the conventional type hose. What I do is only open
the tap one half turn to a full turn to keep the pressure
down inside the hose and prevent it from bursting, and
when I've finished using it I turn off the tap and let it
fully drain before putting it away.