How can you do 'New Math' problems with an 'Old Math' mind? -- Charles Schulz

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: Same teams again?

SubjectAuthor
* Same teams again?max.it
+- Re: Same teams again?RH
+* Re: Same teams again?John Hall
|`- Re: Same teams again?RH
+* Re: Same teams again?alvey
|`- Re: Same teams again?mike
`* Re: Same teams again?jack fredricks
 `* Re: Same teams again?John Hall
  `- Re: Same teams again?jack fredricks

1
Same teams again?

<jnr3sgdq5inof7ot2u3sei84olu457n6in@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18282&group=uk.sport.cricket#18282

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Same teams again?
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 15:29:52 +0000
 by: max.it - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 15:29 UTC

"England coach Chris Silverwood says he would pick same teams again
for first two Tests"

When asked by BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew if he would
pick the same starting sides for the two Tests again, Silverwood said:
"To be honest, I would."

Didn't Silverwood catch on that 'with hindsight' was being implied?
Is he an obstinate person? If not he must be a stupid one.
Combined with Root's comments and Ponting's remarks I'd guess that
England are well and truly rattled and struggling not even at playing
cricket but with the pressure of the shitty decisions they have made
and stupid comments they've made.

max.it

Re: Same teams again?

<e28ee21d-b670-40d1-8829-cf0ee5c57331n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18284&group=uk.sport.cricket#18284

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 08:28:09 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Same teams again?
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 16:28 UTC

On Tuesday, December 21, 2021 at 3:29:56 PM UTC, max.it wrote:
> "England coach Chris Silverwood says he would pick same teams again
> for first two Tests"
>
> When asked by BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew if he would
> pick the same starting sides for the two Tests again, Silverwood said:
> "To be honest, I would."
>
> Didn't Silverwood catch on that 'with hindsight' was being implied?
> Is he an obstinate person? If not he must be a stupid one.
> Combined with Root's comments and Ponting's remarks I'd guess that
> England are well and truly rattled and struggling not even at playing
> cricket but with the pressure of the shitty decisions they have made
> and stupid comments they've made.
>

> max.it

Root's refusal to admit fault in the team selection is worrying ... RH

Re: Same teams again?

<7yuPCABlKgwhFw7O@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18285&group=uk.sport.cricket#18285

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 16:36:53 +0000
 by: John Hall - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 16:36 UTC

In message <jnr3sgdq5inof7ot2u3sei84olu457n6in@4ax.com>, max. it
<max@tea.time> writes

>"England coach Chris Silverwood says he would pick same teams again
>for first two Tests"
>
>When asked by BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew if he would
>pick the same starting sides for the two Tests again, Silverwood said:
>"To be honest, I would."
>
>Didn't Silverwood catch on that 'with hindsight' was being implied?
>Is he an obstinate person? If not he must be a stupid one.
>Combined with Root's comments and Ponting's remarks I'd guess that
>England are well and truly rattled and struggling not even at playing
>cricket but with the pressure of the shitty decisions they have made
>and stupid comments they've made.

I did a double take when I saw what he said. To include a spinner at
Brisbane but not at Adelaide didn't make a lot of sense, nor to omit
your only two bowlers with experience of Australia at Brisbane when
there were bound to be a few nerves for the first Test of the series.

Regarding his apparent obstinacy, there's an old saying: you can always
tell a Yorkshireman, but you can't tell him much.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,

Re: Same teams again?

<0f7113d3-5724-4939-95f3-5c235fcb7ca8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18286&group=uk.sport.cricket#18286

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:03:05 -0800 (PST)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 17:03 UTC

On Tuesday, December 21, 2021 at 4:42:39 PM UTC, John Hall wrote:
> In message <jnr3sgdq5inof7ot2...@4ax.com>, max. it
> <m...@tea.time> writes
> >
> >"England coach Chris Silverwood says he would pick same teams again
> >for first two Tests"
> >
> >When asked by BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew if he would
> >pick the same starting sides for the two Tests again, Silverwood said:
> >"To be honest, I would."
> >
> >Didn't Silverwood catch on that 'with hindsight' was being implied?
> >Is he an obstinate person? If not he must be a stupid one.
> >Combined with Root's comments and Ponting's remarks I'd guess that
> >England are well and truly rattled and struggling not even at playing
> >cricket but with the pressure of the shitty decisions they have made
> >and stupid comments they've made.
> I did a double take when I saw what he said. To include a spinner at
> Brisbane but not at Adelaide didn't make a lot of sense, nor to omit
> your only two bowlers with experience of Australia at Brisbane when
> there were bound to be a few nerves for the first Test of the series.
>
> Regarding his apparent obstinacy, there's an old saying: you can always
> tell a Yorkshireman, but you can't tell him much.
> --
> John Hall
> "Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
> But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
> Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

You are saying in effect that you can'f take a Yorshireman to a debate but you van't make him think,,,, RH

Re: Same teams again?

<vlhq9rjl6sav$.wvugfnawzuhi$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18287&group=uk.sport.cricket#18287

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 05:19:37 +1000
 by: alvey - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 19:19 UTC

On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 15:29:52 +0000, max.it wrote:

> "England coach Chris Silverwood says he would pick same teams again
> for first two Tests"
>
> When asked by BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew if he would
> pick the same starting sides for the two Tests again, Silverwood said:
> "To be honest, I would."
>
> Didn't Silverwood catch on that 'with hindsight' was being implied?
> Is he an obstinate person? If not he must be a stupid one.
> Combined with Root's comments and Ponting's remarks I'd guess that
> England are well and truly rattled and struggling not even at playing
> cricket but with the pressure of the shitty decisions they have made
> and stupid comments they've made.

Can't argue with that.

alvey
Wondering if Silverwood bet the house on a 5-0 Oz win.

Re: Same teams again?

<24980a8d-21a4-4fdc-a915-9bfd2b832b96n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18289&group=uk.sport.cricket#18289

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 14:15:37 -0800 (PST)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 22:15 UTC

On Tuesday, December 21, 2021 at 7:19:40 PM UTC, alvey wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 15:29:52 +0000, max.it wrote:
>
> > "England coach Chris Silverwood says he would pick same teams again
> > for first two Tests"
> >
> > When asked by BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew if he would
> > pick the same starting sides for the two Tests again, Silverwood said:
> > "To be honest, I would."
> >
> > Didn't Silverwood catch on that 'with hindsight' was being implied?
> > Is he an obstinate person? If not he must be a stupid one.
> > Combined with Root's comments and Ponting's remarks I'd guess that
> > England are well and truly rattled and struggling not even at playing
> > cricket but with the pressure of the shitty decisions they have made
> > and stupid comments they've made.
> Can't argue with that.

its not uncommon for sports coaches to believe they are never wrong,
but usually this comes after some great triumph or sustained period
of success. not sure what silverwood has achieved either in his
playing or coaching career that has made him so delusional. he seems
determined to sink his own ship.

mike

Re: Same teams again?

<a28fd113-c51d-4da9-b28b-c4768c96f32dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18290&group=uk.sport.cricket#18290

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 14:30:07 -0800 (PST)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 22:30 UTC

Blaming the toss results/choices and team selections is just an attempt to excuse England's crap performances.

Today's score would be 2-0 regardless.

The issue is lack of talent depth. That issue is caused by the softness of County Cricket.

Re: Same teams again?

<2C0MueBPAwwhFw5N@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18294&group=uk.sport.cricket#18294

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 10:38:07 +0000
 by: John Hall - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 10:38 UTC

In message <a28fd113-c51d-4da9-b28b-c4768c96f32dn@googlegroups.com>,
jack fredricks <jzfredricks@gmail.com> writes
>Blaming the toss results/choices and team selections is just an attempt
>to excuse England's crap performances.
>
>Today's score would be 2-0 regardless.
>
>The issue is lack of talent depth. That issue is caused by the softness
>of County Cricket.

It may not be "softness" as such, but the result of the Dukes ball
giving bowlers too much help, especially in recent years. In my paper
today, Michael Vaughan says that the Championship should switch to the
Kookaburra. Bowlers would then have to learn how to bowl in less helpful
conditions (which ought to encourage spinners and genuinely fast
bowlers), and batsmen would learn how to construct a long innings.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: Same teams again?

<7d2901b1-82d9-409d-979f-a4065d3bf9e3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18296&group=uk.sport.cricket#18296

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 03:03:56 -0800 (PST)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 11:03 UTC

On Wednesday, December 22, 2021 at 8:45:55 PM UTC+10, John Hall wrote:
> It may not be "softness" as such, but the result of the Dukes ball
> giving bowlers too much help, especially in recent years. In my paper
> today, Michael Vaughan says that the Championship should switch to the
> Kookaburra. Bowlers would then have to learn how to bowl in less helpful
> conditions (which ought to encourage spinners and genuinely fast
> bowlers), and batsmen would learn how to construct a long innings.

Less swing/seam might only leave one thing in the arsenal - genuine pace. The problem is soft/green pitches take the pace off the ball. A transition towards more pace will require harder/faster wickets.