From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Out-of-date finishing plaster to improve clay soil?
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 16:25:36 +0100
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Wed, 4 May 2022 15:25 UTC

I have a couple of bags of plaster to ditch and I've read differing
views about whether it can be used to improve clay soil so ... do I take
it to the dump or dig it into the soil or the huge piles of grass
cuttings and leaves?

Re: Out-of-date finishing plaster to improve clay soil?

<mjj57h13v1s7k4679e3v38auo5o4ajib28@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1825&group=uk.rec.gardening#1825

From: chr...@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 20:12:42 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Wed, 4 May 2022 19:12 UTC

nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:

>I have a couple of bags of plaster to ditch and I've read differing
>views about whether it can be used to improve clay soil so ... do I take
>it to the dump or dig it into the soil or the huge piles of grass
>cuttings and leaves?

Gypsum is recommended as a soil improver where clay is present,
but appears to be sold in garden centres as a proprietary product
costing over £6 for 2.5 kg.

On the other hand, I picked up a 25 kg bag of multi-finish
plaster for under £5, and AFAIK this is essentially the same
material. It worked very well.

Builders plaster is not the same as it used to be many years ago,
when it was all derived from mined gypsum. These days some (a
decreasing amount) of it is the by-product of flue gas
desulphurisation at big coal-fired power stations, where the flue
gases are scrubbed with lime. As the lime is used up, the
efficiency of the scrubbing process drops away, and the spent
lime, now mostly gypsum, is sold off for building use.

It still contains a little residual lime, so whereas in the past,
gypsum could be used around lime-hating ericaceous plants such as
rhododendrons, camellias and heathers to improve and even acidify
the soil (pure gypsum being mildly acidic), it would not be a
good idea these days.

Still OK as a 'clay-breaker' though.

As it happens, I live in an area that features both methods of
production, and have even seen it being mined. However, which one
makes it into the local shops is anybody's guess.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Re: Out-of-date finishing plaster to improve clay soil?

<t50mrk$1498$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1826&group=uk.rec.gardening#1826

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 15:27:00 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Thu, 5 May 2022 14:27 UTC

On 04/05/2022 16:25, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> I have a couple of bags of plaster to ditch and I've read differing
> views about whether it can be used to improve clay soil so ... do I take
> it to the dump or dig it into the soil or the huge piles of grass
> cuttings and leaves?

It ought to work to flocculate clay but it might also shift the pH
towards alkaline in the process. Proper horticultural gypsum ought to be
roughly pH neutral but builders plaster tends to be a bit more alkaline.

Try it on a patch of bad clay and see if it does what you want and the
shift i pH is tolerable. You won't be growing azaleas there for quite
while. But anything that likes lime will be perfectly happy.

Clay gets a bad press but apart from being hard work to dig is a
perfectly fertile soil - it just doesn't drain well. I'm on terminal
moraine heavy clay in Yorkshire. There are local ponds where clay for
building bricks was previously extracted including for my house!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Out-of-date finishing plaster to improve clay soil?

<t537rk$8t9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1830&group=uk.rec.gardening#1830

From: nmm...@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 13:29:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Fri, 6 May 2022 13:29 UTC

In article <t50mrk$1498$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:
>On 04/05/2022 16:25, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>> I have a couple of bags of plaster to ditch and I've read differing
>> views about whether it can be used to improve clay soil so ... do I take
>> it to the dump or dig it into the soil or the huge piles of grass
>> cuttings and leaves?
>
>It ought to work to flocculate clay but it might also shift the pH
>towards alkaline in the process. Proper horticultural gypsum ought to be
>roughly pH neutral but builders plaster tends to be a bit more alkaline.

Unless you have some extreme calcifuges, it won't make enough difference
to matter - and, even then, it would matter only if you piled it over
their roots. Scattered over a wider area, it will do no harm (and only
a little good), but it's what I would do.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.