aus+uk / aus.cars / Ford wants change the way they sell cars

SubjectAuthor
* Ford wants change the way they sell carsDaryl
+* Re: Ford wants change the way they sell carsClocky
|`- Re: Ford wants change the way they sell carsDugite
`* Re: Ford wants change the way they sell carsNoddy
 `* Re: Ford wants change the way they sell carsDaryl
  `- Re: Ford wants change the way they sell carsNoddy

1
Ford wants change the way they sell cars

<jmgam7FrruiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18306&group=aus.cars#18306

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Ford wants change the way they sell cars
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 13:15:19 +1000
 by: Daryl - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 03:15 UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUdHx2zX4Uo

Honda and Mercedes already trying something different, seems they aren't
the only ones wanting to change the dealer system.

--
Daryl

Re: Ford wants change the way they sell cars

<tdut31$2iu6p$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18309&group=aus.cars#18309

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Ford wants change the way they sell cars
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 11:27:28 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 03:27 UTC

On 22/08/2022 11:15 am, Daryl wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUdHx2zX4Uo
>
> Honda and Mercedes already trying something different, seems they aren't
> the only ones wanting to change the dealer system.

Honda and Mercedes sales have slumped as a result and Honda may well
exit the Australian market altogether.

Sounds like a good plan for Ford to follow.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if

Re: Ford wants change the way they sell cars

<tdv0sh$2j7gf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18312&group=aus.cars#18312

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 14:32:11 +1000
 by: Noddy - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 04:32 UTC

On 22/08/2022 1:15 pm, Daryl wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUdHx2zX4Uo
>
> Honda and Mercedes already trying something different, seems they aren't
> the only ones wanting to change the dealer system.

It's the "Tesla" model, where people buy online dealing with the
manufacturer directly.

There was talk on Facebook about this 2 weeks ago after the Ford CEO
made his announcement in the US. Unfortunately thanks to anti-carteling
laws in both the US and here, the parent manufacturer has no control
over the new car sticker price set by the stealerships other than to
supply a manufacturer's "recommended retail" price. Thanks to the fucked
up Covid influenced world we currently find ourselves in where demand
for products are at all time highs and stock levels are at record lows,
dealers in the US, Ford and others, are doing whatever the fuck they
want in asking ridiculously over inflated prices for stocks on hand.
They're all doing it, and in worst cases some Ford dealers are asking 30
thousand bucks over the regular sticker price for a brand new electric
F-150. Worse still is that some people are actually stupid enough to
*pay* it.

Ford, like others, have simply had enough. They're watching the
situation get crazier by the day and are acutely aware of the fact that
there is nothing they can do about it other than to sack their
dealership network and take over control of retail sales themselves.
They've no doubt been watching how Tesla does it, and other marques are
going down the same path. Honda here in Australia adopted the model last
year or the year before and Mercedes Benz is in the process of doing the
same thing, although with a class action of some 600 odd dealers here in
Australia happening as we speak it's not going all that well for them at
the moment.

The whole new car market will probably go that way eventually, but the
question is "Is it a good idea?"

Depends on what side of the new car fence you sit on I guess. In my
opinion, as a consumer, I don't believe it is at all as it kills
competition between competing dealerships which means an end to playing
them off against each other to score yourself a deal. Manufacturers will
love it because it means they'll get to absorb the retail margin
afforded to dealerships which will give a significant boost to their
bottom line. Dealerships will no doubt *hate* the idea, as while they'll
still need to exist for servicing duties they currently rely *heavily*
on the ignorance of new car buyers who believe that they need to have
their car serviced by the selling dealer to maintain their warranty.
Taking sales away from dealerships means they'll no longer automatically
add new car buyers onto their service customer books, and the effects of
that will be devastating.

Not that I have much sympathy for dealerships. They're all shonks who
are out to rip people off at every opportunity and deserve all they get,
but if this becomes the new norm it will certainly change the game and
not necessarily for the better as far as you and me are concerned.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Ford wants change the way they sell cars

<jmglk1FtgshU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18314&group=aus.cars#18314

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 16:21:51 +1000
 by: Daryl - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 06:21 UTC

On 22/8/2022 2:32 pm, Noddy wrote:
> [...]
> afforded to dealerships which will give a significant boost to their
> bottom line. Dealerships will no doubt *hate* the idea, as while they'll
> still need to exist for servicing duties they currently rely *heavily*
> on the ignorance of new car buyers who believe that they need to have
> their car serviced by the selling dealer to maintain their warranty.
> Taking sales away from dealerships means they'll no longer automatically
> add new car buyers onto their service customer books, and the effects of
> that will be devastating.
>
> Not that I have much sympathy for dealerships. They're all shonks who
> are out to rip people off at every opportunity and deserve all they get,
> but if this becomes the new norm it will certainly change the game and
> not necessarily for the better as far as you and me are concerned.

I can't see it being a good thing for new car buyers.

--
Daryl

Re: Ford wants change the way they sell cars

<tdvqg1$2let0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18317&group=aus.cars#18317

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 21:49:21 +1000
 by: Noddy - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 11:49 UTC

On 22/08/2022 4:21 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 22/8/2022 2:32 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> Not that I have much sympathy for dealerships. They're all shonks who
>> are out to rip people off at every opportunity and deserve all they
>> get, but if this becomes the new norm it will certainly change the
>> game and not necessarily for the better as far as you and me are
>> concerned.
>>

> I can't see it being a good thing for new car buyers.

Not at all.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Ford wants change the way they sell cars

<tfjhh8$1g8s$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18475&group=aus.cars#18475

From: barb...@feldon.tv (Dugite)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 10:35:19 +0800
 by: Dugite - Sun, 11 Sep 2022 02:35 UTC

Clocky wrote:
> On 22/08/2022 11:15 am, Daryl wrote:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUdHx2zX4Uo
>>
>> Honda and Mercedes already trying something different, seems they
>> aren't the only ones wanting to change the dealer system.
>>

> Honda and Mercedes sales have slumped as a result and Honda may well
> exit the Australian market altogether.
>
> Sounds like a good plan for Ford to follow.

Hyundai came up with those stupid boutique dealers for the Genesis
re-boot. There isn't one in Adelaide yet.