From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Christmas lockdown ot
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 17:10:00 +0000
 by: max.it - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 17:10 UTC

I listened to that Dr from South Africa (Coetzee?) again today, she's
head of the health service or some such body. She was speaking on RTE
about the omicrom variant. I haven't heard her speak on a BBC
programme yet.
She said some weeks ago that omicron wasn't very serious and now she
has clinical figures to back her up. Although there are patients in
hospital with it these mostly are patients who were already ill and in
hospital and unvaccinated.
Her caveat is that SA is not UK or Ireland and while omicron has taken
over from delta in SA it hasn't done so yet here. There was a creepy
silence when the interviewer asked when it was likely to peak in SA
and she said it already has and there will be another similar peak in
a few weeks.

If omicron is mild and we are still battling delta then why are the
authorities fear mongering omicron whenever it's delta that is doing
the harm?

max.it

Re: Christmas lockdown ot

<53dfd5ff-0cc0-444e-8770-96d50ef5a69dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18256&group=uk.sport.cricket#18256

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 09:25:18 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Christmas lockdown ot
From: richsdix...@gmail.com (Richard Dixon)
 by: Richard Dixon - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 17:25 UTC

On Monday, 20 December 2021 at 17:10:03 UTC, max.it wrote:

> Her caveat is that SA is not UK or Ireland and while omicron has taken
> over from delta in SA it hasn't done so yet here.

Omicron has taken over in London now.

Given that the hospital admissions lag cases by about a week, the next 2-4 days' worth of hospital admissions are worth following in London given that the cases rocketed a week ago - see image here:

https://ibb.co/SR2mxR5

Hopefully they won't rocket like the cases have and we can have a bit of hope that's it's weak, everyone will get it and that's that for the virus, he said hopefully. There's one district in Lambeth that in the past week has had 1-in-25 people test positive !

Richard

Re: Christmas lockdown ot

<2eb20aed-f5e3-4c44-b995-ac3eaa4df8den@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18257&group=uk.sport.cricket#18257

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 09:30:22 -0800 (PST)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 17:30 UTC

On Monday, December 20, 2021 at 5:10:03 PM UTC, max.it wrote:
> I listened to that Dr from South Africa (Coetzee?) again today, she's
> head of the health service or some such body. She was speaking on RTE
> about the omicrom variant. I haven't heard her speak on a BBC
> programme yet.
> She said some weeks ago that omicron wasn't very serious and now she
> has clinical figures to back her up. Although there are patients in
> hospital with it these mostly are patients who were already ill and in
> hospital and unvaccinated.
> Her caveat is that SA is not UK or Ireland and while omicron has taken
> over from delta in SA it hasn't done so yet here. There was a creepy
> silence when the interviewer asked when it was likely to peak in SA
> and she said it already has and there will be another similar peak in
> a few weeks.
>
> If omicron is mild and we are still battling delta then why are the
> authorities fear mongering omicron whenever it's delta that is doing
> the harm?

i must have heard different stats. on the bbc today it said 60% of all new cases
in London were the omicron. ATM its still unclear whether it will prove worse or
more mild variant than delta in the UK. Hospitalisations are up 6% already
so the idea that is more mild may not prove so for us, whatever the
situation in RSA.

However having just had the booster we are both feeling as sick as an england
team which has had another 5-0 drubbing in OZ.

mike

Re: Christmas lockdown ot

<j2bu2fFbmk0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18258&group=uk.sport.cricket#18258

From: Brian_W_...@msn.com (Brian Lawrence)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 17:50:06 +0000
 by: Brian Lawrence - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 17:50 UTC

On 20/12/2021 17:10, max.it wrote:

> I listened to that Dr from South Africa (Coetzee?) again today, she's
> head of the health service or some such body. She was speaking on RTE
> about the omicrom variant. I haven't heard her speak on a BBC
> programme yet.
> She said some weeks ago that omicron wasn't very serious and now she
> has clinical figures to back her up. Although there are patients in
> hospital with it these mostly are patients who were already ill and in
> hospital and unvaccinated.
> Her caveat is that SA is not UK or Ireland and while omicron has taken
> over from delta in SA it hasn't done so yet here. There was a creepy
> silence when the interviewer asked when it was likely to peak in SA
> and she said it already has and there will be another similar peak in
> a few weeks.
>
> If omicron is mild and we are still battling delta then why are the
> authorities fear mongering omicron whenever it's delta that is doing
> the harm?

She did say back in November that most people they were seeing were
relatively young (30s), and it was pointed out that South Africa does
not have many old/vulnerable people. I seem to recall reading that
only about 2-3% of the population are over 60, whereas in the UK the
figure is 18%. It's also summer down there.

Re: Christmas lockdown ot

<221f355a-80e0-4099-b522-ed2f84c54900n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18274&group=uk.sport.cricket#18274

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 21:15:53 -0800 (PST)
From: wlsut...@gmail.com (Will Sutton)
 by: Will Sutton - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 05:15 UTC

On Tuesday, December 21, 2021 at 4:50:09 AM UTC+11, Brian Lawrence wrote:
> On 20/12/2021 17:10, max.it wrote:
> >
> > I listened to that Dr from South Africa (Coetzee?) again today, she's
> > head of the health service or some such body. She was speaking on RTE
> > about the omicrom variant. I haven't heard her speak on a BBC
> > programme yet.
> > She said some weeks ago that omicron wasn't very serious and now she
> > has clinical figures to back her up. Although there are patients in
> > hospital with it these mostly are patients who were already ill and in
> > hospital and unvaccinated.
> > Her caveat is that SA is not UK or Ireland and while omicron has taken
> > over from delta in SA it hasn't done so yet here. There was a creepy
> > silence when the interviewer asked when it was likely to peak in SA
> > and she said it already has and there will be another similar peak in
> > a few weeks.
> >
> > If omicron is mild and we are still battling delta then why are the
> > authorities fear mongering omicron whenever it's delta that is doing
> > the harm?
> She did say back in November that most people they were seeing were
> relatively young (30s), and it was pointed out that South Africa does
> not have many old/vulnerable people. I seem to recall reading that
> only about 2-3% of the population are over 60, whereas in the UK the
> figure is 18%. It's also summer down there.

I don't think anyone knows for sure. Is it 12.3486% less deadly then Delta. And is it 23.12568%
more transmittable? How does the various vaccines go against it?

Re: Christmas lockdown ot

<sprv8q$1pu3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18277&group=uk.sport.cricket#18277

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (steve hague)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 07:20:57 +0000
 by: steve hague - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 07:20 UTC

On 20/12/2021 17:10, max.it wrote:

> I listened to that Dr from South Africa (Coetzee?) again today, she's
> head of the health service or some such body. She was speaking on RTE
> about the omicrom variant. I haven't heard her speak on a BBC
> programme yet.
> She said some weeks ago that omicron wasn't very serious and now she
> has clinical figures to back her up. Although there are patients in
> hospital with it these mostly are patients who were already ill and in
> hospital and unvaccinated.
> Her caveat is that SA is not UK or Ireland and while omicron has taken
> over from delta in SA it hasn't done so yet here. There was a creepy
> silence when the interviewer asked when it was likely to peak in SA
> and she said it already has and there will be another similar peak in
> a few weeks.
>
> If omicron is mild and we are still battling delta then why are the
> authorities fear mongering omicron whenever it's delta that is doing
> the harm?
>
> max.it

Keep them scared. They're easier to control when they're scared.

Re: Christmas lockdown ot

<5a330490-ee9f-4bd5-aa28-b05d8f3be844n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18308&group=uk.sport.cricket#18308

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 13:58:52 -0800 (PST)
From: wlsut...@gmail.com (Will Sutton)
 by: Will Sutton - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 21:58 UTC

On Tuesday, December 21, 2021 at 6:20:59 PM UTC+11, steve hague wrote:
> On 20/12/2021 17:10, max.it wrote:
> >
> > I listened to that Dr from South Africa (Coetzee?) again today, she's
> > head of the health service or some such body. She was speaking on RTE
> > about the omicrom variant. I haven't heard her speak on a BBC
> > programme yet.
> > She said some weeks ago that omicron wasn't very serious and now she
> > has clinical figures to back her up. Although there are patients in
> > hospital with it these mostly are patients who were already ill and in
> > hospital and unvaccinated.
> > Her caveat is that SA is not UK or Ireland and while omicron has taken
> > over from delta in SA it hasn't done so yet here. There was a creepy
> > silence when the interviewer asked when it was likely to peak in SA
> > and she said it already has and there will be another similar peak in
> > a few weeks.
> >
> > If omicron is mild and we are still battling delta then why are the
> > authorities fear mongering omicron whenever it's delta that is doing
> > the harm?
> >
> > max.it
> >
> Keep them scared. They're easier to control when they're scared.

The thing is we just dont know the long term effects of the virus , yes, it may be not us bad as delta in the short term but down the road it may have harsher effects

In Oz we have Boofhead in charge, well actually its the States and at the moment the laughter from WA is ear shattering . They are basically living normal except they are trapped within their State but as you could cram the whole of the UK in there many times over I dont think they will be too worried. Yes, some relatives can't visit but to many that would be a blessing :-)

Re: Christmas lockdown ot

<556be9ac-75ea-4dc6-b754-93f9002a0299n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18311&group=uk.sport.cricket#18311

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 01:26:11 -0800 (PST)
From: hamish.l...@gmail.com (Hamish Laws)
 by: Hamish Laws - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 09:26 UTC

On Tuesday, December 21, 2021 at 4:10:03 AM UTC+11, max.it wrote:
> I listened to that Dr from South Africa (Coetzee?) again today, she's
> head of the health service or some such body. She was speaking on RTE
> about the omicrom variant. I haven't heard her speak on a BBC
> programme yet.
> She said some weeks ago that omicron wasn't very serious and now she
> has clinical figures to back her up. Although there are patients in
> hospital with it these mostly are patients who were already ill and in
> hospital and unvaccinated.
> Her caveat is that SA is not UK or Ireland and while omicron has taken
> over from delta in SA it hasn't done so yet here. There was a creepy
> silence when the interviewer asked when it was likely to peak in SA
> and she said it already has and there will be another similar peak in
> a few weeks.
>
> If omicron is mild and we are still battling delta then why are the
> authorities fear mongering omicron whenever it's delta that is doing
> the harm?

Because the mostly is pretty significant.
Omicron seems to bypass immunity from prior infections pretty effectively
Reduced protection from infection from vaccines seems to be a thing, whether that's because of omicron or whether it's a more general vaccine fading is open to question.

Also it's still fairly early days looking at it so we don't know what long term impacts it has, some studies suggest that over half the people who've had covid so far have long lasting effects - including from mild cases.

The speed of the spread is incredibly worrying, number of cases are climbing massively, doubling in 2 days in places. If the growth continues at that rate even if it's significantly less likely to put people in hospital or kill them it than other strains it could still end up killing more people because the speed of the spread could mean that there are enough active cases that health care is overwhelmed.

In addition there's the chance of it mutating further and causing more severe illness or possibly swapping genes with the Delta variant and either making Delta more contagious or Omicron more serious.

Re: Christmas lockdown ot

<grc9sg5du6jhuptiit5da3gvtgm0sr1ps7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18316&group=uk.sport.cricket#18316

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 17:52:38 +0000
 by: max.it - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 17:52 UTC

On Thu, 23 Dec 2021 01:26:11 -0800 (PST), Hamish Laws
<hamish.laws@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 21, 2021 at 4:10:03 AM UTC+11, max.it wrote:
>> I listened to that Dr from South Africa (Coetzee?) again today, she's
>> head of the health service or some such body. She was speaking on RTE
>> about the omicrom variant. I haven't heard her speak on a BBC
>> programme yet.
>> She said some weeks ago that omicron wasn't very serious and now she
>> has clinical figures to back her up. Although there are patients in
>> hospital with it these mostly are patients who were already ill and in
>> hospital and unvaccinated.
>> Her caveat is that SA is not UK or Ireland and while omicron has taken
>> over from delta in SA it hasn't done so yet here. There was a creepy
>> silence when the interviewer asked when it was likely to peak in SA
>> and she said it already has and there will be another similar peak in
>> a few weeks.
>>
>> If omicron is mild and we are still battling delta then why are the
>> authorities fear mongering omicron whenever it's delta that is doing
>> the harm?
>

>Because the mostly is pretty significant.
>Omicron seems to bypass immunity from prior infections pretty effectively
>Reduced protection from infection from vaccines seems to be a thing, whether that's because of omicron or whether it's a more general vaccine fading is open to question.
>
>Also it's still fairly early days looking at it so we don't know what long term impacts it has, some studies suggest that over half the people who've had covid so far have long lasting effects - including from mild cases.
>
>The speed of the spread is incredibly worrying, number of cases are climbing massively, doubling in 2 days in places. If the growth continues at that rate even if it's significantly less likely to put people in hospital or kill them it than other strains it could still end up killing more people because the speed of the spread could mean that there are enough active cases that health care is overwhelmed.
>
>In addition there's the chance of it mutating further and causing more severe illness or possibly swapping genes with the Delta variant and either making Delta more contagious or Omicron more serious.

Reports of omicron today are quite positive. The additional mutaion
you mention appears to be something that happens when a person is
infected by both variations. I don't think anyone is suggesting a
superbug transmission but the delta congests the upper airways while
omicron doesn't seem to, the fear is that if delta is present then
omicron might be able to join in with the congestion and cause the
mayhem really quickly.
Long covid, fibromyalgia, post viral fatigue syndrome, chronic fatigue
syndrome, all have or can be connected to a viral infection.
I had the misfortune to pick up glandular fever when I was about 30,
it knocked me over and afterwards I had swollen joints, fatigue, it
was terrible. Even now if I get the cold of flu I suffer after it with
joint pains and fatigue. So I would say to anyone who is suffering
from a post covid syndrome to expect it to last.

max.it

Re: Christmas lockdown ot

<692f956d-2df0-41a6-a751-06fb51e9c844n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18323&group=uk.sport.cricket#18323

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 22:19:47 -0800 (PST)
From: wlsut...@gmail.com (Will Sutton)
 by: Will Sutton - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 06:19 UTC

On Friday, December 24, 2021 at 4:52:46 AM UTC+11, max.it wrote:
> [...]
> you mention appears to be something that happens when a person is
> infected by both variations. I don't think anyone is suggesting a
> superbug transmission but the delta congests the upper airways while
> omicron doesn't seem to, the fear is that if delta is present then
> omicron might be able to join in with the congestion and cause the
> mayhem really quickly.
> Long covid, fibromyalgia, post viral fatigue syndrome, chronic fatigue
> syndrome, all have or can be connected to a viral infection.
> I had the misfortune to pick up glandular fever when I was about 30,
> it knocked me over and afterwards I had swollen joints, fatigue, it
> was terrible. Even now if I get the cold of flu I suffer after it with
> joint pains and fatigue. So I would say to anyone who is suffering
> from a post covid syndrome to expect it to last.

Its funny, but the politicians from Prime Minister to NSW Premier were saying to trust the people to wear masks etc......pretty stupid if you ask me as these people were stupid enough to elect them and now they have changed their minds

The problem seems to be that so many were vaxxed so long ago that the immunity is waning and now the 3rd dose is the call

Hopefully what I have seen in a study by some is that unvaxxed adults have a chance of been made sterile .....ok, thats made up but it would be good if it happened

anyway, have found a way to stick a straw through the mask and drink straight scotch .... it should sterilize the mouth