aus+uk / aus.cars / OT: Nicotine vapes - redux

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Nicotine vapes - reduxTrevor Wilson
+* Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - reduxJohn_H
|`* Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - reduxXeno
| `* Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - reduxJohn_H
|  +* Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - reduxXeno
|  |`* Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - reduxJohn_H
|  | `- Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - reduxXeno
|  `* Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - reduxDaryl
|   `* Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - reduxNoddy
|    +- Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - reduxXeno
|    `- Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - reduxClocky
`* Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - reduxClocky
 `* Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - reduxSylvia Else
  `* Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - reduxClocky
   `* Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - reduxSylvia Else
    `- Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - reduxClocky

1
OT: Nicotine vapes - redux

<jn0ganFe8o1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18335&group=aus.cars#18335

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: OT: Nicotine vapes - redux
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 16:29:45 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 06:29 UTC

Well, it's been a week, since my employee managed to obtain a vaping
device and some nicotine stuff. It has proven surprisingly difficult for
him to obtain the nicotine stuff. However, with the assistance of a
doctor, he did it. Coca Cola flavoured.

Anyway, the guy has tried everything. Patches, gum, whatever. Nothing
has worked for him. Up until last week, had a 30 a day addiction to fags.

He is now down to 5 fags per day.

I call that a win. Even better, for him, is the huge cost saving. For
me, he doesn't smell as bad.

We'll see how things go over the next few months.

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - redux

<vslnghtgti055nfdkl06mv5p027gvvhaet@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18336&group=aus.cars#18336

From: john4...@hotmail.com (John_H)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - redux
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 07:25:49 +1000
 by: John_H - Sun, 28 Aug 2022 21:25 UTC

Trevor Wilson wrote:

>Well, it's been a week, since my employee managed to obtain a vaping
>device and some nicotine stuff. It has proven surprisingly difficult for
>him to obtain the nicotine stuff. However, with the assistance of a
>doctor, he did it. Coca Cola flavoured.
>
>Anyway, the guy has tried everything. Patches, gum, whatever. Nothing
>has worked for him. Up until last week, had a 30 a day addiction to fags.
>
>He is now down to 5 fags per day.
>
>I call that a win. Even better, for him, is the huge cost saving. For
>me, he doesn't smell as bad.
>
>We'll see how things go over the next few months.

Either he's a smoker or he isn't and and there's no part way position
that's sustainable for other than a very short term.

Until he decides he wants to give it up permanently and completely,
with absolutely no exceptions, he remains a slave to his addiction.

--
John H

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - redux

<teh7bb$t6h7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18337&group=aus.cars#18337

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 10:12:52 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 02:12 UTC

On 28/08/2022 2:29 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> Well, it's been a week, since my employee managed to obtain a vaping
> device and some nicotine stuff. It has proven surprisingly difficult for
> him to obtain the nicotine stuff. However, with the assistance of a
> doctor, he did it. Coca Cola flavoured.
>
> Anyway, the guy has tried everything. Patches, gum, whatever. Nothing
> has worked for him. Up until last week, had a 30 a day addiction to fags.
>
> He is now down to 5 fags per day.
>
> I call that a win.

It's not even close to a win, it's not even a start. He's still addicted
to nicotine and not ready to give up and that's a total loss.

When he's been smoke and vape (and everything else that has nicotine in
it) free for 3 months he might just be in with a chance of 'winning'.

Even better, for him, is the huge cost saving. For
> me, he doesn't smell as bad.
>
> We'll see how things go over the next few months.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - redux

<jn2vpcFqn1nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18338&group=aus.cars#18338

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 15:05:46 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 05:05 UTC

On 29/8/2022 7:25 am, John_H wrote:
> Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>
>> Well, it's been a week, since my employee managed to obtain a vaping
>> device and some nicotine stuff. It has proven surprisingly difficult for
>> him to obtain the nicotine stuff. However, with the assistance of a
>> doctor, he did it. Coca Cola flavoured.
>>
>> Anyway, the guy has tried everything. Patches, gum, whatever. Nothing
>> has worked for him. Up until last week, had a 30 a day addiction to fags.
>>
>> He is now down to 5 fags per day.
>>
>> I call that a win. Even better, for him, is the huge cost saving. For
>> me, he doesn't smell as bad.
>>
>> We'll see how things go over the next few months.
>
> Either he's a smoker or he isn't and and there's no part way position
> that's sustainable for other than a very short term.

Actually, you might want to reword that to; he's either addicted to
nicotine or he isn't. Substitution, one nicotine source for another,
doesn't really cut it. As those who have done it will tell you, there's
only one way to stop smoking, and cut down the nicotine addiction to
zero, is to just simply *stop*. Any number of recidivist smokers will
tell you how hard it is to wean off nicotine. Best solution is to do it
cold turkey but, of course, you have to want to get off the cigarettes.
Most of the people I know who used to be smokers and successfully kicked
the habit did it cold turkey, the most successful ones kicking it mid
packet - rather than waiting to start kicking the habit when the packet
was finished.

> Until he decides he wants to give it up permanently and completely,
> with absolutely no exceptions, he remains a slave to his addiction.

Indeed. He has to *want to kick the habit*, that's primary in *any*
addiction. Substitution, put simply, is not kicking the habit.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - redux

<jn3145FqtvmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18339&group=aus.cars#18339

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 15:28:36 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 05:28 UTC

On 29-Aug-22 12:12 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 28/08/2022 2:29 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> Well, it's been a week, since my employee managed to obtain a vaping
>> device and some nicotine stuff. It has proven surprisingly difficult
>> for him to obtain the nicotine stuff. However, with the assistance of
>> a doctor, he did it. Coca Cola flavoured.
>>
>> Anyway, the guy has tried everything. Patches, gum, whatever. Nothing
>> has worked for him. Up until last week, had a 30 a day addiction to fags.
>>
>> He is now down to 5 fags per day.
>>
>> I call that a win.
>
> It's not even close to a win, it's not even a start. He's still addicted
> to nicotine and not ready to give up and that's a total loss.
>
> When he's been smoke and vape (and everything else that has nicotine in
> it) free for 3 months he might just be in with a chance of 'winning'.

He may not want to give up nicotine, or may feel unable to. In the mean
time he's not inhaling the result of burning leaves.

Given the horrible mixture of particles and toxic chemicals in smoke, it
seems very probable that he has a health benefit compared with smoking
cigarettes. Yes, it would be better if he did without the nicotine as
well, but it's still an improvement.

Of should we take the view that people who cannot give up nicotine
should have to get their fix in the most unhealthy way possible?

Actually, that is the view we take with most other addictive substances,
but we disguise it as a "war on drugs".

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - redux

<tehjem$v9ad$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18340&group=aus.cars#18340

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 13:39:34 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 05:39 UTC

On 29/08/2022 1:28 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 29-Aug-22 12:12 pm, Clocky wrote:
>> On 28/08/2022 2:29 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>> Well, it's been a week, since my employee managed to obtain a vaping
>>> device and some nicotine stuff. It has proven surprisingly difficult
>>> for him to obtain the nicotine stuff. However, with the assistance of
>>> a doctor, he did it. Coca Cola flavoured.
>>>
>>> Anyway, the guy has tried everything. Patches, gum, whatever. Nothing
>>> has worked for him. Up until last week, had a 30 a day addiction to
>>> fags.
>>>
>>> He is now down to 5 fags per day.
>>>
>>> I call that a win.
>>
>> It's not even close to a win, it's not even a start. He's still
>> addicted to nicotine and not ready to give up and that's a total loss.
>>
>> When he's been smoke and vape (and everything else that has nicotine
>> in it) free for 3 months he might just be in with a chance of 'winning'.
>>

> He may not want to give up nicotine, or may feel unable to. In the mean
> time he's not inhaling the result of burning leaves.
>
> Given the horrible mixture of particles and toxic chemicals in smoke, it
> seems very probable that he has a health benefit compared with smoking
> cigarettes.

You're assuming "Coca-Cola" flavoured nicotine vapour is healthier...
and it probably isn't.

Yes, it would be better if he did without the nicotine as
> well, but it's still an improvement.
>
> Of should we take the view that people who cannot give up nicotine
> should have to get their fix in the most unhealthy way possible?

Addicted people should aim to address their addiction. You don't do that
by substituting one method of consumption with another.

> Actually, that is the view we take with most other addictive substances,
> but we disguise it as a "war on drugs".

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if
it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - redux

<jn3571FrgbbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18341&group=aus.cars#18341

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 16:38:24 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 06:38 UTC

On 29-Aug-22 3:39 pm, Clocky wrote:

> You're assuming "Coca-Cola" flavoured nicotine vapour is healthier...
> and it probably isn't.

Healthier than burnt leaves? Seems very likely to me.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - redux

<c4uogh532m75dvh65sjqc0pf679a8chlkp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18342&group=aus.cars#18342

From: john4...@hotmail.com (John_H)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 18:33:30 +1000
 by: John_H - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 08:33 UTC

Xeno wrote:
>On 29/8/2022 7:25 am, John_H wrote:
>> Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, it's been a week, since my employee managed to obtain a vaping
>>> device and some nicotine stuff. It has proven surprisingly difficult for
>>> him to obtain the nicotine stuff. However, with the assistance of a
>>> doctor, he did it. Coca Cola flavoured.
>>>
>>> Anyway, the guy has tried everything. Patches, gum, whatever. Nothing
>>> has worked for him. Up until last week, had a 30 a day addiction to fags.
>>>
>>> He is now down to 5 fags per day.
>>>
>>> I call that a win. Even better, for him, is the huge cost saving. For
>>> me, he doesn't smell as bad.
>>>
>>> We'll see how things go over the next few months.
>>
>> Either he's a smoker or he isn't and and there's no part way position
>> that's sustainable for other than a very short term.
>
>Actually, you might want to reword that to; he's either addicted to
>nicotine or he isn't.

At the risk of overstating the obvious... if he's looking for an
alternative source of nicotine then he's well and truly addicted

>Substitution, one nicotine source for another,
>doesn't really cut it. As those who have done it will tell you, there's
>only one way to stop smoking, and cut down the nicotine addiction to
>zero, is to just simply *stop*. Any number of recidivist smokers will
>tell you how hard it is to wean off nicotine. Best solution is to do it
>cold turkey but, of course, you have to want to get off the cigarettes.
>Most of the people I know who used to be smokers and successfully kicked
>the habit did it cold turkey, the most successful ones kicking it mid
>packet - rather than waiting to start kicking the habit when the packet
>was finished.

>> Until he decides he wants to give it up permanently and completely,
>> with absolutely no exceptions, he remains a slave to his addiction.
>>
>Indeed. He has to *want to kick the habit*, that's primary in *any*
>addiction. Substitution, put simply, is not kicking the habit.

To which I'd add... the habit is lighting up a fag, the addiction is
nicotine, whatever the source. "Habit" being a copout for those who
don't see themselves as drug addicts which they most certainly are.

What might not be so obvious is the mindset required to beat the
addiction (along with the habit) which is to see oneself as a non
smoker, starting on the same day you decide to quit. The physical
effects of nicotine are relatively short lived (two or three days at
most) beyond which the cure is all in the mind.

--
John H

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - redux

<tehvse$10di1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18343&group=aus.cars#18343

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 17:11:43 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 09:11 UTC

On 29/08/2022 2:38 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 29-Aug-22 3:39 pm, Clocky wrote:
>
>> You're assuming "Coca-Cola" flavoured nicotine vapour is healthier...
>> and it probably isn't.
>
> Healthier than burnt leaves? Seems very likely to me.
>
> Sylvia.

As opposed to heating of god know what chemical concoction?

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if
it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - redux

<jn3j4nFtm2tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18344&group=aus.cars#18344

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 20:36:04 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 10:36 UTC

On 29/8/2022 6:33 pm, John_H wrote:
> Xeno wrote:

>>> Either he's a smoker or he isn't and and there's no part way position
>>> that's sustainable for other than a very short term.
>>
>> Actually, you might want to reword that to; he's either addicted to
>> nicotine or he isn't.
>
> At the risk of overstating the obvious... if he's looking for an
> alternative source of nicotine then he's well and truly addicted

Most certainly.

>> Substitution, one nicotine source for another,
>> doesn't really cut it. As those who have done it will tell you, there's
>> only one way to stop smoking, and cut down the nicotine addiction to
>> zero, is to just simply *stop*. Any number of recidivist smokers will
>> tell you how hard it is to wean off nicotine. Best solution is to do it
>> cold turkey but, of course, you have to want to get off the cigarettes.
>> Most of the people I know who used to be smokers and successfully kicked
>> the habit did it cold turkey, the most successful ones kicking it mid
>> packet - rather than waiting to start kicking the habit when the packet
>> was finished.
>
>>> Until he decides he wants to give it up permanently and completely,
>>> with absolutely no exceptions, he remains a slave to his addiction.
>>>
>> Indeed. He has to *want to kick the habit*, that's primary in *any*
>> addiction. Substitution, put simply, is not kicking the habit.
>
> To which I'd add... the habit is lighting up a fag, the addiction is

My ex-sister in law was definitely in that league. She was frequently
seen lighting up her next from the one she was still smoking - even
before the first was finished. A chain smoker in every sense of the word.

> nicotine, whatever the source. "Habit" being a copout for those who
> don't see themselves as drug addicts which they most certainly are.

Not in all cases. I can relate quite a few people where the *habit*
rests in the company they keep. Social pressure at its worst. For these
people, in order to kick their *habit*, whether addicted or not, they
need to find a new and, importantly, different social grouping.
Concreters are the perfect example of that. I know heaps of concreters
and they are all pisspots.

> What might not be so obvious is the mindset required to beat the
> addiction (along with the habit) which is to see oneself as a non
> smoker, starting on the same day you decide to quit. The physical

Yes, both my brother and my wife did it that way, stopped on the day
they decided to quit, never relapsed.

> effects of nicotine are relatively short lived (two or three days at
> most) beyond which the cure is all in the mind.

I'll have to take your word on that since I've never been addicted to
nicotine hence never needed to *cease the habit*. Had to fight off lots
of peer pressure in my teens, it has to be said. smokers, and other drug
users, prefer like minded company - at least in the formative years ;-)

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - redux

<jn3pf3F6p1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18345&group=aus.cars#18345

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 22:24:01 +1000
 by: Daryl - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 12:24 UTC

On 29/8/2022 6:33 pm, John_H wrote:
> Xeno wrote:

>>> Either he's a smoker or he isn't and and there's no part way position
>>> that's sustainable for other than a very short term.
>>
>> Actually, you might want to reword that to; he's either addicted to
>> nicotine or he isn't.
>
> At the risk of overstating the obvious... if he's looking for an
> alternative source of nicotine then he's well and truly addicted
>
>> Substitution, one nicotine source for another,
>> doesn't really cut it. As those who have done it will tell you, there's
>> only one way to stop smoking, and cut down the nicotine addiction to
>> zero, is to just simply *stop*. Any number of recidivist smokers will
>> tell you how hard it is to wean off nicotine. Best solution is to do it
>> cold turkey but, of course, you have to want to get off the cigarettes.
>> Most of the people I know who used to be smokers and successfully kicked
>> the habit did it cold turkey, the most successful ones kicking it mid
>> packet - rather than waiting to start kicking the habit when the packet
>> was finished.
>
>>> Until he decides he wants to give it up permanently and completely,
>>> with absolutely no exceptions, he remains a slave to his addiction.
>>>
>> Indeed. He has to *want to kick the habit*, that's primary in *any*
>> addiction. Substitution, put simply, is not kicking the habit.
>
> To which I'd add... the habit is lighting up a fag, the addiction is
> nicotine, whatever the source. "Habit" being a copout for those who
> don't see themselves as drug addicts which they most certainly are.
>
> What might not be so obvious is the mindset required to beat the
> addiction (along with the habit) which is to see oneself as a non
> smoker, starting on the same day you decide to quit. The physical
> effects of nicotine are relatively short lived (two or three days at
> most) beyond which the cure is all in the mind.

Agree but still many people find it extremely difficult to quit.
My father tried to quit using various aids from patches to hypnotism but
he never succeeded and as a result died of lung cancer at 64.
I smoked when I was a teenager but quit cold turkey before I was 20, the
resultant massive intake of sugar caused by consuming very many packets
of Lifesavers per day didn't do my teeth much good but that only lasted
a few months:-)

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - redux

<teicki$12io2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18346&group=aus.cars#18346

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 22:49:21 +1000
 by: Noddy - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 12:49 UTC

On 29/08/2022 10:24 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 29/8/2022 6:33 pm, John_H wrote:

>> What might not be so obvious is the mindset required to beat the
>> addiction (along with the habit) which is to see oneself as a non
>> smoker, starting on the same day you decide to quit.  The physical
>> effects of nicotine are relatively short lived (two or three days at
>> most) beyond which the cure is all in the mind.
>>

> Agree but still many people find it extremely difficult to quit.

Incredibly so. Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs on the
planet, and most of the people who offer up simplistic advice on how to
beat it have clearly had zero personal experience in doing so.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - redux

<jn3sirFle2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18347&group=aus.cars#18347

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 23:17:13 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 13:17 UTC

On 29/8/2022 10:49 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 29/08/2022 10:24 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 29/8/2022 6:33 pm, John_H wrote:
>

>>> What might not be so obvious is the mindset required to beat the
>>> addiction (along with the habit) which is to see oneself as a non
>>> smoker, starting on the same day you decide to quit.  The physical
>>> effects of nicotine are relatively short lived (two or three days at
>>> most) beyond which the cure is all in the mind.
>>>

>> Agree but still many people find it extremely difficult to quit.
>
> Incredibly so. Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs on the
> planet, and most of the people who offer up simplistic advice on how to
> beat it have clearly had zero personal experience in doing so.

Some of us are smart enough not to get caught up (read: sucked in) to
the addiction in the first place. Some of us are also smart enough to
resist the *inevitable peer pressure* that is exerted by society at large.

Most people who have difficulty quitting really don't want to quit and
it is usually external pressure pushing them to do so, social pressure
as a good example. It's also social pressure pushing them to smoke.

You want a good motivator to quit - try a cancer diagnosis.
Problem is - it's way too late by then.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - redux

<q3gqghthnj8ee2pl4pdes1f07g7fl8f9oh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18348&group=aus.cars#18348

From: john4...@hotmail.com (John_H)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 08:49:34 +1000
 by: John_H - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 22:49 UTC

Xeno wrote:

>On 29/8/2022 6:33 pm, John_H wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:

>>> Actually, you might want to reword that to; he's either addicted to
>>> nicotine or he isn't.
>>
>> At the risk of overstating the obvious... if he's looking for an
>> alternative source of nicotine then he's well and truly addicted
>
>Most certainly.
>>
>>> Substitution, one nicotine source for another,
>>> doesn't really cut it. As those who have done it will tell you, there's
>>> only one way to stop smoking, and cut down the nicotine addiction to
>>> zero, is to just simply *stop*. Any number of recidivist smokers will
>>> tell you how hard it is to wean off nicotine. Best solution is to do it
>>> cold turkey but, of course, you have to want to get off the cigarettes.
>>> Most of the people I know who used to be smokers and successfully kicked
>>> the habit did it cold turkey, the most successful ones kicking it mid
>>> packet - rather than waiting to start kicking the habit when the packet
>>> was finished.

>>> Indeed. He has to *want to kick the habit*, that's primary in *any*
>>> addiction. Substitution, put simply, is not kicking the habit.
>>
>> To which I'd add... the habit is lighting up a fag, the addiction is
>
>My ex-sister in law was definitely in that league. She was frequently
>seen lighting up her next from the one she was still smoking - even
>before the first was finished. A chain smoker in every sense of the word.
>
>> nicotine, whatever the source. "Habit" being a copout for those who
>> don't see themselves as drug addicts which they most certainly are.
>
>Not in all cases. I can relate quite a few people where the *habit*
>rests in the company they keep. Social pressure at its worst. For these
>people, in order to kick their *habit*, whether addicted or not, they
>need to find a new and, importantly, different social grouping.
>Concreters are the perfect example of that. I know heaps of concreters
>and they are all pisspots.
>>
>> What might not be so obvious is the mindset required to beat the
>> addiction (along with the habit) which is to see oneself as a non
>> smoker, starting on the same day you decide to quit. The physical
>
>Yes, both my brother and my wife did it that way, stopped on the day
>they decided to quit, never relapsed.
>
>> effects of nicotine are relatively short lived (two or three days at
>> most) beyond which the cure is all in the mind.
>>
>I'll have to take your word on that since I've never been addicted to
>nicotine hence never needed to *cease the habit*. Had to fight off lots
>of peer pressure in my teens, it has to be said. smokers, and other drug
>users, prefer like minded company - at least in the formative years ;-)

Mine's based on experience.

I succumbed to peer pressure as a teen when smoking was socially
acceptable and a large proportion of the population did. I gave up,
cold turkey, four decades ago after a few half hearted (read futile)
attempts to cut back from a 20 a day "habit".

When I finally decided to get serious the stigma of being a drug
addict was a significant part of the motivation and the best advice I
ever had from someone who'd been there was "you have to think of
yourself as a non smoker", which took a while to sink in but once it
did I never looked back.

--
John H

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - redux

<jn5ap2F7ldpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18349&group=aus.cars#18349

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 12:25:36 +1000
 by: Xeno - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 02:25 UTC

On 30/8/2022 8:49 am, John_H wrote:
> Xeno wrote:

>>> At the risk of overstating the obvious... if he's looking for an
>>> alternative source of nicotine then he's well and truly addicted
>>
>> Most certainly.

>>> To which I'd add... the habit is lighting up a fag, the addiction is
>>
>> My ex-sister in law was definitely in that league. She was frequently
>> seen lighting up her next from the one she was still smoking - even
>> before the first was finished. A chain smoker in every sense of the word.
>>
>>> nicotine, whatever the source. "Habit" being a copout for those who
>>> don't see themselves as drug addicts which they most certainly are.
>>
>> Not in all cases. I can relate quite a few people where the *habit*
>> rests in the company they keep. Social pressure at its worst. For these
>> people, in order to kick their *habit*, whether addicted or not, they
>> need to find a new and, importantly, different social grouping.
>> Concreters are the perfect example of that. I know heaps of concreters
>> and they are all pisspots.
>>>
>>> What might not be so obvious is the mindset required to beat the
>>> addiction (along with the habit) which is to see oneself as a non
>>> smoker, starting on the same day you decide to quit. The physical
>>
>> Yes, both my brother and my wife did it that way, stopped on the day
>> they decided to quit, never relapsed.
>>
>>> effects of nicotine are relatively short lived (two or three days at
>>> most) beyond which the cure is all in the mind.
>>>
>> I'll have to take your word on that since I've never been addicted to
>> nicotine hence never needed to *cease the habit*. Had to fight off lots
>> of peer pressure in my teens, it has to be said. smokers, and other drug
>> users, prefer like minded company - at least in the formative years ;-)
>
> Mine's based on experience.
>
> I succumbed to peer pressure as a teen when smoking was socially
> acceptable and a large proportion of the population did. I gave up,

Socially acceptable, yes, that was the problem. The anti-smoking
campaign really got some legs when they worked on the social
(un)acceptability of smoking. Turned smokers into pariahs!

> cold turkey, four decades ago after a few half hearted (read futile)
> attempts to cut back from a 20 a day "habit".

Yes, as I said, stopping cold turkey works best. Cutting down, from what
I have seen, works least well. FWIW, I don't see how a 20+ a day habit
is affordable these days. Surely the cost would be incentive enough to
give smoking up?

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Nicotine vapes - redux

<teke1g$1dtfj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18350&group=aus.cars#18350

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 15:25:37 +0800
 by: Clocky - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 07:25 UTC

On 29/08/2022 8:49 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 29/08/2022 10:24 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 29/8/2022 6:33 pm, John_H wrote:
>

>>> What might not be so obvious is the mindset required to beat the
>>> addiction (along with the habit) which is to see oneself as a non
>>> smoker, starting on the same day you decide to quit.  The physical
>>> effects of nicotine are relatively short lived (two or three days at
>>> most) beyond which the cure is all in the mind.
>>>

>> Agree but still many people find it extremely difficult to quit.
>
> Incredibly so. Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs on the
> planet, and most of the people who offer up simplistic advice on how to
> beat it have clearly had zero personal experience in doing so.

Perhaps those with real personal experience know that cold turkey is the
simplest and best (in most cases only) way to beat the habit permanently.

Some people take on challenges and succeed, other like you... well,
let's just say that *all* the smart bastards have always seen right
through your charade :-)