If I am elected no one will ever have to do their laundry again!

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / The teams for the MCG

SubjectAuthor
* The teams for the MCGWill Sutton
`* Re: The teams for the MCGmike
 `* Re: The teams for the MCGJohn Hall
  `* Re: The teams for the MCGmike
   `* Re: The teams for the MCGJohn Hall
    +* Re: The teams for the MCGWill Sutton
    |+- Re: The teams for the MCGmike
    |`* Re: The teams for the MCGJohn Hall
    | `* Re: The teams for the MCGmike
    |  `- Re: The teams for the MCGJohn Hall
    +- Re: The teams for the MCGDavid North
    `- Re: The teams for the MCGJohn Hall

1
The teams for the MCG

<cc9ddc5e-529e-4afe-8a4a-db5563f1ecc4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18361&group=uk.sport.cricket#18361

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 20:14:33 -0800 (PST)
Subject: The teams for the MCG
From: wlsut...@gmail.com (Will Sutton)
 by: Will Sutton - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 04:14 UTC

Boxing Day Test teams
Australia

David Warner, Marcus Harris, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Cameron Green, Alex Carey (wk), Pat Cummins (c), Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Scott Boland

England

Haseeb Hameed, Zac Crawley, Dawid Malan, Joe Root (c), Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow, Jos Buttler (wk), Mark Wood, Ollie Robinson, Jack Leach, Jimmy Anderson

Re: The teams for the MCG

<d506dbd1-a341-4410-b630-ddb676783fd6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18366&group=uk.sport.cricket#18366

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 09:29:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: The teams for the MCG
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 17:29 UTC

On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 4:14:33 AM UTC, wlsu...@gmail.com wrote:
> Boxing Day Test teams
> Australia
>
> David Warner, Marcus Harris, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Cameron Green, Alex Carey (wk), Pat Cummins (c), Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Scott Boland

with so much hype about boland in the media, and his mastery at the MCG, i'm expecting
a massie type debut

> England
>
> Haseeb Hameed, Zac Crawley, Dawid Malan, Joe Root (c), Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow, Jos Buttler (wk), Mark Wood, Ollie Robinson, Jack Leach, Jimmy Anderson

the bowling has more variety, but if Leach gets kerriganed again and stokes is only half a
bowler ATM, that leaves the other 3 with a lot of work. Just as well Root and Malan got
some practice at Adelaide. Without Woakes, Wood at 8 is a long tail and burns is replaced
by crawley who avs 11 this year, well most of our batters av under 20. Another heavy
defeat i expect, but surely England cant play as bad again as at adelaide?

mike

Re: The teams for the MCG

<pBTDgNC4M4xhFwzU@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18368&group=uk.sport.cricket#18368

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 20:46:48 +0000
 by: John Hall - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 20:46 UTC

In message <d506dbd1-a341-4410-b630-ddb676783fd6n@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>the bowling has more variety, but if Leach gets kerriganed again and
>stokes is only half a bowler ATM, that leaves the other 3 with a lot of
>work. Just as well Root and Malan got some practice at Adelaide.
>Without Woakes, Wood at 8 is a long tail

I imagine that Robinson will bat at 8 and Wood at 9, even if they are
not in that order on the team sheet. But of course your point remains
valid regardless of the order.

> and burns is replaced by crawley who avs 11 this year, well most of
>our batters av under 20. Another heavy defeat i expect, but surely
>England cant play as bad again as at adelaide?

Let's hope not. I understand that the Melbourne curator has said that
the pitch should give the seamers some help, so I'm hoping that England
won't have been in and all out before I switch on my TV around 7:15 UK
time.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,

Re: The teams for the MCG

<9bb98f20-9d10-4162-a8bc-4a7580d7c9b0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18369&group=uk.sport.cricket#18369

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 13:21:48 -0800 (PST)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 21:21 UTC

On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 8:50:00 PM UTC, John Hall wrote:
> In message <d506dbd1-a341-4410...@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >the bowling has more variety, but if Leach gets kerriganed again and
> >stokes is only half a bowler ATM, that leaves the other 3 with a lot of
> >work. Just as well Root and Malan got some practice at Adelaide.
> >Without Woakes, Wood at 8 is a long tail
> I imagine that Robinson will bat at 8

they pointed out on 5live that hes the only one of the bowlers who
hasnt got a test 50, if fact in the whole team. Although hes got a decent
FC record batting, judging on his batting in tests so far, no11 is too
high for him.

> and Wood at 9, even if they are
> not in that order on the team sheet. But of course your point remains
> valid regardless of the order.
> > and burns is replaced by crawley who avs 11 this year, well most of
> >our batters av under 20. Another heavy defeat i expect, but surely
> >England cant play as bad again as at adelaide?
> Let's hope not. I understand that the Melbourne curator has said that
> the pitch should give the seamers some help, so I'm hoping that England
> won't have been in and all out before I switch on my TV around 7:15 UK
> time.

well it might be ;( - doesnt it start 11.30pm our time?

mike

Re: The teams for the MCG

<qgmT4wDuQ5xhFwga@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18371&group=uk.sport.cricket#18371

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 21:59:10 +0000
 by: John Hall - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 21:59 UTC

In message <9bb98f20-9d10-4162-a8bc-4a7580d7c9b0n@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 8:50:00 PM UTC, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <d506dbd1-a341-4410...@googlegroups.com>,
>> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> >the bowling has more variety, but if Leach gets kerriganed again and
>> >stokes is only half a bowler ATM, that leaves the other 3 with a lot of
>> >work. Just as well Root and Malan got some practice at Adelaide.
>> >Without Woakes, Wood at 8 is a long tail
>> I imagine that Robinson will bat at 8
>
>they pointed out on 5live that hes the only one of the bowlers who
>hasnt got a test 50, if fact in the whole team. Although hes got a decent
>FC record batting, judging on his batting in tests so far, no11 is too
>high for him.

He's only played a handful of Tests so far, so his lack of a fifty
doesn't tell us much. I believe that the other three bowlers only have
one fifty each, and Anderson's was made on just about the flattest pitch
of all time.

>> and Wood at 9, even if they are
>> not in that order on the team sheet. But of course your point remains
>> valid regardless of the order.
>> > and burns is replaced by crawley who avs 11 this year, well most of
>> >our batters av under 20. Another heavy defeat i expect, but surely
>> >England cant play as bad again as at adelaide?
>> Let's hope not. I understand that the Melbourne curator has said that
>> the pitch should give the seamers some help, so I'm hoping that England
>> won't have been in and all out before I switch on my TV around 7:15 UK
>> time.
>
>well it might be ;( - doesnt it start 11.30pm our time?

I thought it was midnight, but you might be right. Even with the earlier
start time, with over rates nowadays the finish will probably be nearer
8am than 7:30.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: The teams for the MCG

<d47abb32-2483-444a-abdc-313b996dcf5cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18373&group=uk.sport.cricket#18373

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 14:51:34 -0800 (PST)
From: wlsut...@gmail.com (Will Sutton)
 by: Will Sutton - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 22:51 UTC

On Sunday, December 26, 2021 at 9:03:41 AM UTC+11, John Hall wrote:
> In message <9bb98f20-9d10-4162...@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 8:50:00 PM UTC, John Hall wrote:
> >> In message <d506dbd1-a341-4410...@googlegroups.com>,
> >> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >> I imagine that Robinson will bat at 8
> >
> >they pointed out on 5live that hes the only one of the bowlers who
> >hasnt got a test 50, if fact in the whole team. Although hes got a decent
> >FC record batting, judging on his batting in tests so far, no11 is too
> >high for him.
> He's only played a handful of Tests so far, so his lack of a fifty
> doesn't tell us much. I believe that the other three bowlers only have
> one fifty each, and Anderson's was made on just about the flattest pitch
> of all time.
> >
> >> and Wood at 9, even if they are
> >> not in that order on the team sheet. But of course your point remains
> >> valid regardless of the order.
> >> Let's hope not. I understand that the Melbourne curator has said that
> >> the pitch should give the seamers some help, so I'm hoping that England
> >> won't have been in and all out before I switch on my TV around 7:15 UK
> >> time.
> >
> >well it might be ;( - doesnt it start 11.30pm our time?
> I thought it was midnight, but you might be right. Even with the earlier
> start time, with over rates nowadays the finish will probably be nearer
> 8am than 7:30.
> --
> John Hall
> "Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
> But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
> Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

well could be another toss to lose as its cool and overcast

I have been to the MCG a lot and one day the lines to the beer are long and next time the lines to "hot" coffee are longer

btw: I see Michael Vaughan is back in the Fox TV Coverage

Re: The teams for the MCG

<bc5fd424-001d-46bf-a5db-fe501443b41dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18374&group=uk.sport.cricket#18374

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 15:49:14 -0800 (PST)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 23:49 UTC

On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 10:51:35 PM UTC, wlsu...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, December 26, 2021 at 9:03:41 AM UTC+11, John Hall wrote:
> > In message <9bb98f20-9d10-4162...@googlegroups.com>,
> > mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> > >
> > >they pointed out on 5live that hes the only one of the bowlers who
> > >hasnt got a test 50, if fact in the whole team. Although hes got a decent
> > >FC record batting, judging on his batting in tests so far, no11 is too
> > >high for him.
> > He's only played a handful of Tests so far, so his lack of a fifty
> > doesn't tell us much. I believe that the other three bowlers only have
> > one fifty each, and Anderson's was made on just about the flattest pitch
> > of all time.

> > >well it might be ;( - doesnt it start 11.30pm our time?
> > I thought it was midnight, but you might be right. Even with the earlier
> > start time, with over rates nowadays the finish will probably be nearer
> > 8am than 7:30.

cos of the rain its midnite start anyway.

> well could be another toss to lose as its cool and overcast

another green pitch like brisbane, no wonder england chose leach ;) really they should
have chosen these bowlers for adelaide, although i would prefer an offspinner.

but england have to bat first in the best conditions for bowling, probably we will
see a repeat of brisbane.

mike

Re: The teams for the MCG

<j2qc18F4ah6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18378&group=uk.sport.cricket#18378

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 05:14:16 +0000
 by: David North - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 05:14 UTC

On 25/12/2021 21:59, John Hall wrote:
> In message <9bb98f20-9d10-4162-a8bc-4a7580d7c9b0n@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 8:50:00 PM UTC, John Hall wrote:
>>> In message <d506dbd1-a341-4410...@googlegroups.com>,
>>> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>> I imagine that Robinson will bat at 8
>>
>> they pointed out on 5live that hes the only one of the bowlers who
>> hasnt got a test 50, if fact in the whole team. Although hes got a decent
>> FC record batting, judging on his batting in tests so far, no11 is too
>> high for him.
>
> He's only played a handful of Tests so far, so his lack of a fifty
> doesn't tell us much. I believe that the other three bowlers only have
> one fifty each, and Anderson's was made on just about the flattest pitch
> of all time.

Well they've gone with Wood at #8. His only 50 came in a partnership of
95 with Bairstow, who made a century, the stand starting at 164/7.
England could do with something similar now.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/england-in-australia-and-new-zealand-2017-18-1072261/new-zealand-vs-england-2nd-test-1115781/full-scorecard

--
David North

Re: The teams for the MCG

<ErDoqhA1KCyhFwMA@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18379&group=uk.sport.cricket#18379

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 08:07:17 +0000
 by: John Hall - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 08:07 UTC

In message <d47abb32-2483-444a-abdc-313b996dcf5cn@googlegroups.com>,
Will Sutton <wlsutton@gmail.com> writes
>btw: I see Michael Vaughan is back in the Fox TV Coverage

Here in the UK, BT Sport - who have the TV rights - used the Fox TV
coverage for the first two Tests. But they now seem to have decided that
the Australian commentators are too awful, and have put together their
own team. It includes Simon Mann and Dan Norcross from TMS and so
already out in Australia, Steve Harmison and - a pleasant surprise this
- David Gower.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: The teams for the MCG

<27okePCYTCyhFwqd@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18382&group=uk.sport.cricket#18382

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 08:16:24 +0000
 by: John Hall - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 08:16 UTC

In message <qgmT4wDuQ5xhFwga@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>In message <9bb98f20-9d10-4162-a8bc-4a7580d7c9b0n@googlegroups.com>,
>mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>On Saturday, December 25, 2021 at 8:50:00 PM UTC, John Hall wrote:
>>> In message <d506dbd1-a341-4410...@googlegroups.com>,
>>> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
<snip>
>>> Let's hope not. I understand that the Melbourne curator has said that
>>> the pitch should give the seamers some help, so I'm hoping that England
>>> won't have been in and all out before I switch on my TV around 7:15 UK
>>> time.
>>
>>well it might be ;( - doesnt it start 11.30pm our time?
>
>I thought it was midnight, but you might be right. Even with the
>earlier start time, with over rates nowadays the finish will probably
>be nearer 8am than 7:30.

I had a senior moment - or possibly too much alcohol - and thought that
6 hours of play plus an hour's intervals added up to 8 hours. But since
I woke up early and there was 30 minutes lost to rain to be made up, I
caught the end of the day's play anyway. But I was disappointingly
prescient in my foreboding that England might be all out before I
switched on.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: The teams for the MCG

<4a10716e-5038-4949-a40e-78a04044f3aen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18392&group=uk.sport.cricket#18392

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 09:28:48 -0800 (PST)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 17:28 UTC

On Sunday, December 26, 2021 at 8:11:04 AM UTC, John Hall wrote:
> In message <d47abb32-2483-444a...@googlegroups.com>,
> Will Sutton <wlsu...@gmail.com> writes
> >btw: I see Michael Vaughan is back in the Fox TV Coverage

that must be a special kind of purgatory

> Here in the UK, BT Sport - who have the TV rights - used the Fox TV
> coverage for the first two Tests. But they now seem to have decided that
> the Australian commentators are too awful, and have put together their
> own team. It includes Simon Mann and Dan Norcross from TMS and so
> already out in Australia, Steve Harmison and - a pleasant surprise this
> - David Gower.

sometimes on TMS, when an england wicket fell in the last match, which was
quite often, you could hear the oz commentators - i assume its fox - screaming
next door.

mike

Re: The teams for the MCG

<xaGW9NEw2MyhFwpY@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18395&group=uk.sport.cricket#18395

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 20:16:48 +0000
 by: John Hall - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 20:16 UTC

In message <4a10716e-5038-4949-a40e-78a04044f3aen@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On Sunday, December 26, 2021 at 8:11:04 AM UTC, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <d47abb32-2483-444a...@googlegroups.com>,
>> Will Sutton <wlsu...@gmail.com> writes
>> >btw: I see Michael Vaughan is back in the Fox TV Coverage
>
>that must be a special kind of purgatory
>
>> Here in the UK, BT Sport - who have the TV rights - used the Fox TV
>> coverage for the first two Tests. But they now seem to have decided that
>> the Australian commentators are too awful, and have put together their
>> own team. It includes Simon Mann and Dan Norcross from TMS and so
>> already out in Australia, Steve Harmison and - a pleasant surprise this
>> - David Gower.
>
>sometimes on TMS, when an england wicket fell in the last match, which was
>quite often, you could hear the oz commentators - i assume its fox - screaming
>next door.

The BT Sport coverage in this match also has Mark Ramprakash, but he
didn't happen to be on air during that part of the day's play that I
caught live.