From: daniele-...@invalid.com (D.M. Procida)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: SSD caddy for MacBook Pro A1708 drive
Date: 26 Oct 2023 17:31:04 GMT
 by: D.M. Procida - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 17:31 UTC

Is there some sort of caddy for the odd little SSD in the A1708 MacBook Pro,
that allows it to be used with USB? I think that there are caddies that allow
it to be used with other internal interfaces, but I suspect there's nothing
for USB.

Thanks,

Daniele

Re: SSD caddy for MacBook Pro A1708 drive

<YIy*UuRtz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18370&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18370

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: SSD caddy for MacBook Pro A1708 drive
Date: 26 Oct 2023 22:06:02 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 21:06 UTC

D.M. Procida <daniele-at-vurt-dot-org@invalid.com> wrote:
> Is there some sort of caddy for the odd little SSD in the A1708
> MacBook Pro, that allows it to be used with USB? I think that there
> are caddies that allow it to be used with other internal interfaces,
> but I suspect there's nothing for USB

Unlike later Macs that kind uses an SSD which is a proprietary form
factor, but works like NVMe.

However, while there are numerous £5 adapters for putting an NVMe stick
into such a Mac, adapters for going the other way seem few. Search
'A1708 recovery adapter' and there is this for a frightening price:
https://www.hddheadtools.com/product/macbook-pro-a1708-pcie-ssd-recovery-adapter-smart/
or this a bit more reasonable:
https://digitalintelligence.com/store/products/tda7-7-pcie-ssd-adapter-for-apple-2016-products
but you then need a harness to attach to a PCIe slot (in a PC, you can
use it grab the disk image off the SSD)

It would probably be cheaper to buy another Macbook and swap the SSD
over...

Note that I think the Intel Macs with the T2 security chip (2018 and
later) use it to store the disc encryption keys, so if you pull the SSD
from one of those you can't swap it into another machine and read the
contents. The 2016/17 have the T1 chip and I *think* that doesn't hold
the keys, BICBW.

Theo

Re: SSD caddy for MacBook Pro A1708 drive

<kq04s5Ff3smU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18371&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18371

From: daniele-...@invalid.com (D.M. Procida)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 26 Oct 2023 21:43:33 GMT
 by: D.M. Procida - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 21:43 UTC

On 26 Oct 2023 at 22:06:02 BST, "Theo" <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:

> Note that I think the Intel Macs with the T2 security chip (2018 and
> later) use it to store the disc encryption keys, so if you pull the SSD
> from one of those you can't swap it into another machine and read the
> contents. The 2016/17 have the T1 chip and I *think* that doesn't hold
> the keys, BICBW.

That's correct, and it's what I was able to do earlier today - thanks.

Dnaiele