From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Bougainvillea and systemic insecticide
Date: 20 Apr 2022 10:43:23 GMT
 by: David - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 10:43 UTC

We have been quite successful in overwintering our Bougainvillea indoors,
but they do have various pests on them.

Is there a safe systemic insecticide that can be used on these plants?

I am assuming that once it is warm enough to put them outside then nature
will move in and mop up the pests, but a minimum overnight temperature of
10C seems to be still some way away.

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. I would have thought indoor spiders would have mopped up such slow
moving prey, but apparently not.

Re: Bougainvillea and systemic insecticide

<t3p791$crk$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1790&group=uk.rec.gardening#1790

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Bougainvillea and systemic insecticide
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:01:52 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:01 UTC

On 20/04/2022 11:43, David wrote:
> We have been quite successful in overwintering our Bougainvillea indoors,
> but they do have various pests on them.
>
> Is there a safe systemic insecticide that can be used on these plants?
>
> I am assuming that once it is warm enough to put them outside then nature
> will move in and mop up the pests, but a minimum overnight temperature of
> 10C seems to be still some way away.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R
>
> P.S. I would have thought indoor spiders would have mopped up such slow
> moving prey, but apparently not.

The only systemic insecticide available for amateurs to use is
acetamiprid (BugClear Ultra). It appears to have been used on
bougainvillea. I doubt, however, that there aren't many bugs resistant
to it now.

--

Jeff

Re: Bougainvillea and systemic insecticide

<t4msg9$cu3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1819&group=uk.rec.gardening#1819

From: char...@roselandhouse.co.uk (Charlie Pridham)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 22:02:01 +0100
 by: Charlie Pridham - Sun, 1 May 2022 21:02 UTC

On 20/04/2022 11:43, David wrote:
> We have been quite successful in overwintering our Bougainvillea indoors,
> but they do have various pests on them.
>
> Is there a safe systemic insecticide that can be used on these plants?
>
> I am assuming that once it is warm enough to put them outside then nature
> will move in and mop up the pests, but a minimum overnight temperature of
> 10C seems to be still some way away.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R
>
> P.S. I would have thought indoor spiders would have mopped up such slow
> moving prey, but apparently not.

You don't say which particular pests are causing you problems? Red
spider is the easiest to deal with as the biological control mites mop
up the problem very quickly, Aphids water with a few drops of washing up
liquid plus planting or hanging something yellow near by (attracts
hoverflies who will soon mop them up.

I suspect you are keeping it a bit to warm and cosy in winter, you can
let them go down to almost freezing - tends to slow most pest problems.

Mealy bug is the worst to get shot of, I just use an old tooth brush to
mechanically rub them and their egg masses out, fortunately it doesn't
seem to be a plant that they like that much

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Re: Bougainvillea and systemic insecticide

<jdfd3nFcancU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1820&group=uk.rec.gardening#1820

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 4 May 2022 13:24:07 GMT
 by: David - Wed, 4 May 2022 13:24 UTC

On Sun, 01 May 2022 22:02:01 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

> On 20/04/2022 11:43, David wrote:
>> We have been quite successful in overwintering our Bougainvillea
>> indoors,
>> but they do have various pests on them.
>>
>> Is there a safe systemic insecticide that can be used on these plants?
>>
>> I am assuming that once it is warm enough to put them outside then
>> nature will move in and mop up the pests, but a minimum overnight
>> temperature of 10C seems to be still some way away.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Dave R
>>
>> P.S. I would have thought indoor spiders would have mopped up such slow
>> moving prey, but apparently not.
>>

> You don't say which particular pests are causing you problems? Red
> spider is the easiest to deal with as the biological control mites mop
> up the problem very quickly, Aphids water with a few drops of washing up
> liquid plus planting or hanging something yellow near by (attracts
> hoverflies who will soon mop them up.
>
> I suspect you are keeping it a bit to warm and cosy in winter, you can
> let them go down to almost freezing - tends to slow most pest problems.
>
> Mealy bug is the worst to get shot of, I just use an old tooth brush to
> mechanically rub them and their egg masses out, fortunately it doesn't
> seem to be a plant that they like that much

Seemed to be blackfly and whitefly.

Previous years (and previous Bougainvillea) we have left them out in
shelter over winter.
We have discarded plants because they appeared dead.
Last year we had the apparently dead again, but there was a suspicion of a
bud on a stem.
Left them when we went away May/June and they had come back to life by the
time we returned, but weren't really happy until Autumn.

Dr. Google said that they would drop their leaves if night time
temperature dropped below 10C.

This Winter we kept them indoors and with a lot of juggling and dropped
leaves managed to keep them mainly in leaf.
One even "flowered" about a month ago.

They are outside now and suffering a bit from the cold nights but are
demonstrably alive.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Bougainvillea and systemic insecticide

<t58ipk$l2i$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1842&group=uk.rec.gardening#1842

From: char...@roselandhouse.co.uk (Charlie Pridham)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 15:06:43 +0100
 by: Charlie Pridham - Sun, 8 May 2022 14:06 UTC

On 04/05/2022 14:24, David wrote:
> On Sun, 01 May 2022 22:02:01 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:
>
>> On 20/04/2022 11:43, David wrote:
>>> We have been quite successful in overwintering our Bougainvillea
>>> indoors,
>>> but they do have various pests on them.
>>>
>>> Is there a safe systemic insecticide that can be used on these plants?
>>>
>>> I am assuming that once it is warm enough to put them outside then
>>> nature will move in and mop up the pests, but a minimum overnight
>>> temperature of 10C seems to be still some way away.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

>>> Dave R
>>>
>>> P.S. I would have thought indoor spiders would have mopped up such slow
>>> moving prey, but apparently not.
>>>

>> You don't say which particular pests are causing you problems? Red
>> spider is the easiest to deal with as the biological control mites mop
>> up the problem very quickly, Aphids water with a few drops of washing up
>> liquid plus planting or hanging something yellow near by (attracts
>> hoverflies who will soon mop them up.
>>
>> I suspect you are keeping it a bit to warm and cosy in winter, you can
>> let them go down to almost freezing - tends to slow most pest problems.
>>
>> Mealy bug is the worst to get shot of, I just use an old tooth brush to
>> mechanically rub them and their egg masses out, fortunately it doesn't
>> seem to be a plant that they like that much
>
> Seemed to be blackfly and whitefly.
>
> Previous years (and previous Bougainvillea) we have left them out in
> shelter over winter.
> We have discarded plants because they appeared dead.
> Last year we had the apparently dead again, but there was a suspicion of a
> bud on a stem.
> Left them when we went away May/June and they had come back to life by the
> time we returned, but weren't really happy until Autumn.
>
> Dr. Google said that they would drop their leaves if night time
> temperature dropped below 10C.
>
> This Winter we kept them indoors and with a lot of juggling and dropped
> leaves managed to keep them mainly in leaf.
> One even "flowered" about a month ago.
>
> They are outside now and suffering a bit from the cold nights but are
> demonstrably alive.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Ours keep their leaves at minimums of +1c but dont forget most
Bougainvilla are the result of hybrids between the 3 main species so it
very much depends on which one you have, - they are not all created
equal. our main plant is a vibrant pink is the one I come across most
often growing outdoors. I have recently bought a deep red which is yet
to flower and that did not shed any leaves this winter (both are in an
unheated conservatory)

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall