From: george.d...@innocent.com (John P)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Tomatoes under a carport
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 20:58:19 +0100
 by: John P - Sun, 8 May 2022 19:58 UTC

Last year all my toms got trashed by blight. I don't have
a greenhouse to grow them in, so would growing them in
growbags under my carport prevent the blight this year?
My carport which is too small for today's cars has a
twinwall polycarbonate roof. Thanks.

Re: Tomatoes under a carport

<t598pm$1m57$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1846&group=uk.rec.gardening#1846

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Tomatoes under a carport
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 21:22:14 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Sun, 8 May 2022 20:22 UTC

On 08/05/2022 20:58, John P wrote:

> Last year all my toms got trashed by blight. I don't have
> a greenhouse to grow them in, so would growing them in
> growbags under my carport prevent the blight this year?

It is hard to say. Mine got blight outdoors late in the season as did
the spuds but a fair proportion were OK. You definitely get a much
better crop in the greenhouse but that is from the warmth.

> My carport which is too small for today's cars has a
> twinwall polycarbonate roof. Thanks.

It depends so much on the weather and your unstated location.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Tomatoes under a carport

<t59bd2$pvh$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1847&group=uk.rec.gardening#1847

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 22:06:41 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 8 May 2022 21:06 UTC

On 08/05/2022 20:58, John P wrote:

> Last year all my toms got trashed by blight. I don't have
> a greenhouse to grow them in, so would growing them in
> growbags under my carport prevent the blight this year?
> My carport which is too small for today's cars has a
> twinwall polycarbonate roof. Thanks.

It would help a little as it would stop blight spores in the air being
washed onto the plants by rain. Even better would be if you could make
some temporary "walls" of polythene, Anything which helps impair the
blight spores from getting on the plants would slow down the appearance
of this disease.

--

Jeff

Re: Tomatoes under a carport

<t5bgnk$ohi$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1848&group=uk.rec.gardening#1848

From: char...@roselandhouse.co.uk (Charlie Pridham)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 17:49:56 +0100
 by: Charlie Pridham - Mon, 9 May 2022 16:49 UTC

On 08/05/2022 20:58, John P wrote:

> Last year all my toms got trashed by blight. I don't have
> a greenhouse to grow them in, so would growing them in
> growbags under my carport prevent the blight this year?
> My carport which is too small for today's cars has a
> twinwall polycarbonate roof. Thanks.

It doesn't help much this year but as someone who for the last 40 years
has failed to get any Tomato plants to survive outside because of
blight, last year I tried 'Crimson Crush' said to be blight resistant.
Wonder of wonders they were and very heavy cropping sadly not a good
taste raw but very nice cooked. this year I am trying others in the
Crimson series to see if the taste is any better

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Re: Tomatoes under a carport

<s_ceK.4$w1W1.1@fx47.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1849&group=uk.rec.gardening#1849

From: george.d...@innocent.com (John P)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 19:23:19 +0100
 by: John P - Mon, 9 May 2022 18:23 UTC

On Sun, 8 May 2022 20:58:19 +0100 John P
<george.davis.is@innocent.com> wrote:

> Last year all my toms got trashed by blight. I don't have
> a greenhouse to grow them in, so would growing them in
> growbags under my carport prevent the blight this year?

Thanks all for your replies. I'm between Milton Keynes
and Bedford, so the average temp is a little colder than
in London. As the carport is too small to be used as one
I'll try the toms under there and hope for the best.

Re: Tomatoes under a carport

<je1jreF9d9oU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1860&group=uk.rec.gardening#1860

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 11 May 2022 11:09:34 GMT
 by: David - Wed, 11 May 2022 11:09 UTC

On Sun, 08 May 2022 20:58:19 +0100, John P wrote:

> Last year all my toms got trashed by blight. I don't have a greenhouse
> to grow them in, so would growing them in growbags under my carport
> prevent the blight this year? My carport which is too small for today's
> cars has a twinwall polycarbonate roof. Thanks.

We gave up on growing tomatoes outdoors because of blight.

However the last few years we have grown cherry tomatoes under a
polycarbonate roof (over our decking) and they seem to be generally blight
free.

This is a South facing deck, which may make a difference in growth.

HTH

Dave R