From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: How can I manage iMessage storage in the Cloud ?
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 16:31:13 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 16:31 UTC

I know from searching the web that this is a common issue/gripe and I am
frustrated trying to find a workaround. So can anyone here suggest how
to do this... surely there is an Application somewhere that can help - I
dont want to buy more iCloud storage !

Issue is ... my free 5GB is almost full (as I am reminded every day!) I
have deleted lots of old photos/tunes etc but still left with...

iMessages = 1.1Gb
Top Conversations = 67Mb

I realise that the issue will be the linked content in those and other
messages. I just want to identify which of the conversations and other
messages contain that content so I can see it and decide whether to
delete it or not.

I dont thing this is possible from within "Settings" (is it?) but hoping
there is an App that can display this info. I remember using
DiscoveryX(?) some years ago that did something similar on the Mac HD to
help with cleaning that up.

So... any thoughts and ideas are welcomed

Cheers JohnB

Re: How can I manage iMessage storage in the Cloud ?

<ec59bb99-8bd6-40c2-922a-f900355875c6@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18519&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18519

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: How can I manage iMessage storage in the Cloud ?
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 23:38:24 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 23:38 UTC

On 10/11/2023 16:31, jbrennand wrote:
> I know from searching the web that this is a common issue/gripe and I am
> frustrated trying to find a workaround.  So can anyone here suggest how
> to do this... surely there is an Application somewhere that can help - I
> dont want to buy more iCloud storage !
>
> Issue is ... my free 5GB is almost full (as I am reminded every day!) I
> have deleted lots of old photos/tunes etc but still left with...
>
> iMessages         = 1.1Gb
> Top Conversations     = 67Mb
>
> I realise that the issue will be the linked content in those and other
> messages.   I just want to identify which of the conversations and other
> messages contain that content so I can see it and decide whether to
> delete it or not.
>
> I dont thing this is possible from within "Settings" (is it?) but hoping
> there is an App that can display this info.  I remember using
> DiscoveryX(?) some years ago that did something similar on the Mac HD to
> help with cleaning that up.
>
> So... any thoughts and ideas are welcomed

Does this help?
<https://appleinsider.com/inside/ios-16/tips/how-to-manage-imessage-storage-in-ios-16-ipados-16>

I don't see that option as I'm not near the 5gb limit so I'm hoping they
have it right!

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: How can I manage iMessage storage in the Cloud ?

<uio6e5$3gdm9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18521&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18521

From: brenn...@ntlworld.com (jbrennand)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 15:25:57 +0000
 by: jbrennand - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 15:25 UTC

On 10/11/2023 23:38, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> On 10/11/2023 16:31, jbrennand wrote:
>> I know from searching the web that this is a common issue/gripe and I
>> am frustrated trying to find a workaround.  So can anyone here suggest
>> how to do this... surely there is an Application somewhere that can
>> help - I dont want to buy more iCloud storage !
>>
>> Issue is ... my free 5GB is almost full (as I am reminded every day!)
>> I have deleted lots of old photos/tunes etc but still left with...
>>
>> iMessages         = 1.1Gb
>> Top Conversations     = 67Mb
>>
>> I realise that the issue will be the linked content in those and other
>> messages.   I just want to identify which of the conversations and
>> other messages contain that content so I can see it and decide whether
>> to delete it or not.
>>
>> I dont thing this is possible from within "Settings" (is it?) but
>> hoping there is an App that can display this info.  I remember using
>> DiscoveryX(?) some years ago that did something similar on the Mac HD
>> to help with cleaning that up.
>>
>> So... any thoughts and ideas are welcomed
>
> Does this help?
> <https://appleinsider.com/inside/ios-16/tips/how-to-manage-imessage-storage-in-ios-16-ipados-16>
>
> I don't see that option as I'm not near the 5gb limit so I'm hoping they
> have it right!

Thanks Bruce.

That doesn't work for me because when I go to "storage" it shows 560MB
in"messages" but then when I go there I see.... photos/videos/gifs =
less than 1 MB in total and "Other" = 588 MB! I click other and there
is nothing listed in there at all :-(

HOWEVER.... I tried the same on the Mac and... General > Messages >
click the "i" button... and Voila... there they all are stored in
various locations on the Mac HD - hence (I am guessing) the reason they
are not visible on the phone.

Gone through and deleted the unwanted ones and recovered >300MB

So thanks for the pointer

JohnB