Pauca sed matura. [Few but excellent.] -- Gauss

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Latest services price hikes

SubjectAuthor
* Latest services price hikesAndy H
+- Re: Latest services price hikesJörg Lorenz
`* Re: Latest services price hikesChris
 +* Re: Latest services price hikesGraeme Wall
 |+* Re: Latest services price hikesChris
 ||`- Re: Latest services price hikesAndy H
 |`- Re: Latest services price hikesAndy H
 `* Re: Latest services price hikesAndy H
  +* Re: Latest services price hikesChris
  |`- Re: Latest services price hikesAndy Hewitt
  +- Re: Latest services price hikesJörg Lorenz
  `- Re: Latest services price hikesJohn Hill

1
Latest services price hikes

<ujgj6r$fp98$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18577&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18577

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy H)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Latest services price hikes
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 21:31:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:0vo6M9ZwQMJ+Y9cQzgNoRiJeU8w=
 by: Andy H - Mon, 20 Nov 2023 21:31 UTC

I subscribe to the premium family Apple One account here (it is actually
the cheapest way to use all the stuff I need/want).

However, I do feel the latest price hikes (for some of the individual
services, or for the One account), are just too much. The percentage
increase is, well, unreasonable (£5 on top of £32.95).

Exactly what do they use to calculate inflation? It’s certainly not
anything I’m buying!

Although, it is still reasonable value for a family to share (but here it’s
just the two of us). It still has me now thinking about my future use of
the iCloud services, and even as far as will I even stick with Apple?

It’s not like they need to do this to bolster ailing profits. Seems to me
they’re just jumping on the old bandwagon, and following everyone else with
the subscription service price hikes.

I still have my photos library stored on a local HDD, so I could just
cancel as far as that goes, although I’d sell my HomePods, as they’re
useless without Music, and I am watching stuff on TV+, and do use the News
app for some magazines.

I managed to get a year of Disney before they bumped theirs up, but
overall, you have to wonder when this cost of living battering is going to
cease.

I might have to dig out my old Nokia 1100 ;-).

I’m can see why the dodgy streaming devices are so popular! (I did try
them, but in reality they’re not good quality, or reliable, services - get
what you pay for I suppose).

Well, off to put one lump of coal on the fire, and trim down the candle
wicks….

--
Andy H

Re: Latest services price hikes

<ujh1b9$hl81$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18579&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18579

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Latest services price hikes
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 02:32:25 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 01:32 UTC

Am 20.11.23 um 22:31 schrieb Andy H:
> I subscribe to the premium family Apple One account here (it is actually
> the cheapest way to use all the stuff I need/want).

..
..
..

> Although, it is still reasonable value for a family to share (but here it’s
> just the two of us). It still has me now thinking about my future use of
> the iCloud services, and even as far as will I even stick with Apple?

Tell us when you know.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Latest services price hikes

<ujhnl1$ocoo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18580&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18580

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 07:53:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:/fagNG0W6XKDwF5VRM8THT3iuRc=
 by: Chris - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 07:53 UTC

Andy H <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
> I subscribe to the premium family Apple One account here (it is actually
> the cheapest way to use all the stuff I need/want).
>
> However, I do feel the latest price hikes (for some of the individual
> services, or for the One account), are just too much. The percentage
> increase is, well, unreasonable (£5 on top of £32.95).
>
> Exactly what do they use to calculate inflation? It’s certainly not
> anything I’m buying!
>
> Although, it is still reasonable value for a family to share (but here it’s
> just the two of us). It still has me now thinking about my future use of
> the iCloud services, and even as far as will I even stick with Apple?

Is there an alternative? Looking at this in the past they're all priced
"competitively" meaning they're all the same.

> It’s not like they need to do this to bolster ailing profits. Seems to me
> they’re just jumping on the old bandwagon, and following everyone else with
> the subscription service price hikes.

Don't forget the poor old shareholders. Any drops in sales figures would
affect the share price.

> I still have my photos library stored on a local HDD, so I could just
> cancel as far as that goes, although I’d sell my HomePods, as they’re
> useless without Music, and I am watching stuff on TV+, and do use the News
> app for some magazines.
>
> I managed to get a year of Disney before they bumped theirs up, but
> overall, you have to wonder when this cost of living battering is going to
> cease.
>
> I might have to dig out my old Nokia 1100 ;-).
>
> I’m can see why the dodgy streaming devices are so popular! (I did try
> them, but in reality they’re not good quality, or reliable, services - get
> what you pay for I suppose).
>
> Well, off to put one lump of coal on the fire, and trim down the candle
> wicks….

:)

Re: Latest services price hikes

<ujho32$oc4r$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18581&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18581

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 08:00:34 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 08:00 UTC

On 21/11/2023 07:53, Chris wrote:
> Andy H <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
>> I subscribe to the premium family Apple One account here (it is actually
>> the cheapest way to use all the stuff I need/want).
>>
>> However, I do feel the latest price hikes (for some of the individual
>> services, or for the One account), are just too much. The percentage
>> increase is, well, unreasonable (£5 on top of £32.95).
>>
>> Exactly what do they use to calculate inflation? It’s certainly not
>> anything I’m buying!
>>
>> Although, it is still reasonable value for a family to share (but here it’s
>> just the two of us). It still has me now thinking about my future use of
>> the iCloud services, and even as far as will I even stick with Apple?
>
> Is there an alternative? Looking at this in the past they're all priced
> "competitively" meaning they're all the same.
>
>> It’s not like they need to do this to bolster ailing profits. Seems to me
>> they’re just jumping on the old bandwagon, and following everyone else with
>> the subscription service price hikes.
>
> Don't forget the poor old shareholders. Any drops in sales figures would
> affect the share price.
>
>> I still have my photos library stored on a local HDD, so I could just
>> cancel as far as that goes, although I’d sell my HomePods, as they’re
>> useless without Music, and I am watching stuff on TV+, and do use the News
>> app for some magazines.
>>
>> I managed to get a year of Disney before they bumped theirs up, but
>> overall, you have to wonder when this cost of living battering is going to
>> cease.
>>
>> I might have to dig out my old Nokia 1100 ;-).
>>
>> I’m can see why the dodgy streaming devices are so popular! (I did try
>> them, but in reality they’re not good quality, or reliable, services - get
>> what you pay for I suppose).
>>
>> Well, off to put one lump of coal on the fire, and trim down the candle
>> wicks….
>
> :)

You can afford candles????
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Latest services price hikes

<ujihci$sf5r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18582&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18582

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 15:12:18 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:IQFGDusD3dn6NJZuQyLhDjRmPUI=
 by: Chris - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 15:12 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 21/11/2023 07:53, Chris wrote:
>> Andy H <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
>>> I subscribe to the premium family Apple One account here (it is actually
>>> the cheapest way to use all the stuff I need/want).
>>>
>>> However, I do feel the latest price hikes (for some of the individual
>>> services, or for the One account), are just too much. The percentage
>>> increase is, well, unreasonable (£5 on top of £32.95).
>>>
>>> Exactly what do they use to calculate inflation? It’s certainly not
>>> anything I’m buying!
>>>
>>> Although, it is still reasonable value for a family to share (but here it’s
>>> just the two of us). It still has me now thinking about my future use of
>>> the iCloud services, and even as far as will I even stick with Apple?
>>
>> Is there an alternative? Looking at this in the past they're all priced
>> "competitively" meaning they're all the same.
>>
>>> It’s not like they need to do this to bolster ailing profits. Seems to me
>>> they’re just jumping on the old bandwagon, and following everyone else with
>>> the subscription service price hikes.
>>
>> Don't forget the poor old shareholders. Any drops in sales figures would
>> affect the share price.
>>
>>> I still have my photos library stored on a local HDD, so I could just
>>> cancel as far as that goes, although I’d sell my HomePods, as they’re
>>> useless without Music, and I am watching stuff on TV+, and do use the News
>>> app for some magazines.
>>>
>>> I managed to get a year of Disney before they bumped theirs up, but
>>> overall, you have to wonder when this cost of living battering is going to
>>> cease.
>>>
>>> I might have to dig out my old Nokia 1100 ;-).
>>>
>>> I’m can see why the dodgy streaming devices are so popular! (I did try
>>> them, but in reality they’re not good quality, or reliable, services - get
>>> what you pay for I suppose).
>>>
>>> Well, off to put one lump of coal on the fire, and trim down the candle
>>> wicks….
>>
>> :)
>>

> You can afford candles????

Only four candles

Re: Latest services price hikes

<ujinc5$tfdc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18583&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18583

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy H)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 16:54:29 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:GiTGz4md/EVnoYjroiwhEyJI+Z4=
 by: Andy H - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 16:54 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Andy H <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
>> I subscribe to the premium family Apple One account here (it is actually
>> the cheapest way to use all the stuff I need/want).
>>
>> However, I do feel the latest price hikes (for some of the individual
>> services, or for the One account), are just too much. The percentage
>> increase is, well, unreasonable (£5 on top of £32.95).
>>
>> Exactly what do they use to calculate inflation? It’s certainly not
>> anything I’m buying!
>>
>> Although, it is still reasonable value for a family to share (but here it’s
>> just the two of us). It still has me now thinking about my future use of
>> the iCloud services, and even as far as will I even stick with Apple?
>
> Is there an alternative? Looking at this in the past they're all priced
> "competitively" meaning they're all the same.

Not really, the alternative is to stop buying into them at all I guess.

It’s not so much the price itself, but the rate and size of the increases
in such a short period - in comparison to the previous few years.

It’s certainly feeling like the old hook, line, and sinker scenario. I feel
this is more that they all think they have us hooked enough now, that we
will pay more and more to keep the services.

However, personally I’m starting to become overwhelmed by them all, too
many, charging too much. I’m one of those that switches in and out of
monthly subscriptions, apart from a couple that I use most.

My alternative is to keep my photos on a local HDD (which I still have as a
backup anyway, but switch to that as my main library), and go back to
buying music and films as an when I find ones worth paying for.

I could also just revert back to my collection of vinyl LPs ;-).

>> It’s not like they need to do this to bolster ailing profits. Seems to me
>> they’re just jumping on the old bandwagon, and following everyone else with
>> the subscription service price hikes.
>
> Don't forget the poor old shareholders. Any drops in sales figures would
> affect the share price.

Indeed, the real cause of the problem!

--
Andy H

Re: Latest services price hikes

<ujineh$tfs9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18584&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18584

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy H)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 16:55:45 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:lzqZYfcgPx/gu+JM2y7jgRzmXW0=
 by: Andy H - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 16:55 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 21/11/2023 07:53, Chris wrote:
>> Andy H <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

>>> Well, off to put one lump of coal on the fire, and trim down the candle
>>> wicks….
>>
>> :)
>>

> You can afford candles????

Only if I melt down all the odd bits of soap, and make wicks from all the
lint from clothing ;-)

--
Andy H

Re: Latest services price hikes

<ujinei$tfs9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18585&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18585

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy H)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 16:55:46 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:3vwi0tOgvIWMpmoDupmctGjt1q0=
 by: Andy H - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 16:55 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Is there an alternative? Looking at this in the past they're all priced
>>> "competitively" meaning they're all the same.

>>> Don't forget the poor old shareholders. Any drops in sales figures would
>>> affect the share price.

>>> :)
>>>

>> You can afford candles????
>
> Only four candles

Although fork handles also burn quite well :-O

--
Andy H

Re: Latest services price hikes

<ujismc$uc5o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18586&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18586

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 18:25:16 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:KNK0phfidF9nZBxDSOgIdHtZ8eA=
 by: Chris - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 18:25 UTC

Andy H <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Andy H <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
>>> I subscribe to the premium family Apple One account here (it is actually
>>> the cheapest way to use all the stuff I need/want).
>>>
>>> However, I do feel the latest price hikes (for some of the individual
>>> services, or for the One account), are just too much. The percentage
>>> increase is, well, unreasonable (£5 on top of £32.95).
>>>
>>> Exactly what do they use to calculate inflation? It’s certainly not
>>> anything I’m buying!
>>>
>>> Although, it is still reasonable value for a family to share (but here it’s
>>> just the two of us). It still has me now thinking about my future use of
>>> the iCloud services, and even as far as will I even stick with Apple?
>>
>> Is there an alternative? Looking at this in the past they're all priced
>> "competitively" meaning they're all the same.
>
> Not really, the alternative is to stop buying into them at all I guess.
>
> It’s not so much the price itself, but the rate and size of the increases
> in such a short period - in comparison to the previous few years.

Yeah true. Inflation, innit ;)

> It’s certainly feeling like the old hook, line, and sinker scenario. I feel
> this is more that they all think they have us hooked enough now, that we
> will pay more and more to keep the services.
>
> However, personally I’m starting to become overwhelmed by them all, too
> many, charging too much. I’m one of those that switches in and out of
> monthly subscriptions, apart from a couple that I use most.
>
> My alternative is to keep my photos on a local HDD (which I still have as a
> backup anyway, but switch to that as my main library), and go back to
> buying music and films as an when I find ones worth paying for.

I couldn't part with music streaming. It's just too convenient and it's
still cheaper than buying for me as I regularly add new music to my
library.

Films are a real disappointment. I really wish film streaming was much more
like music. It's too fragmented, not enough content, it's always the same
type of content and worst of all content disappears regularly.

I was also thinking the other day that buying blurays and DVDs would be
better.

> I could also just revert back to my collection of vinyl LPs ;-).

Can't really fit them in your phone 🤣

Re: Latest services price hikes

<ujj2l1$v9vi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18587&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18587

From: thewildr...@icloud.com (Andy Hewitt)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 20:06:57 +0000
 by: Andy Hewitt - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 20:06 UTC

On 21/11/2023 18:25, Chris wrote:
> Andy H <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

[..]

>> It’s not so much the price itself, but the rate and size of the increases
>> in such a short period - in comparison to the previous few years.
>
> Yeah true. Inflation, innit ;)

Hmm, if it was nearer to the currently reported 5.5%, yes. But it's
three times more than inflation was at it's highest level.

>> It’s certainly feeling like the old hook, line, and sinker scenario. I feel
>> this is more that they all think they have us hooked enough now, that we
>> will pay more and more to keep the services.
>>
>> However, personally I’m starting to become overwhelmed by them all, too
>> many, charging too much. I’m one of those that switches in and out of
>> monthly subscriptions, apart from a couple that I use most.
>>
>> My alternative is to keep my photos on a local HDD (which I still have as a
>> backup anyway, but switch to that as my main library), and go back to
>> buying music and films as an when I find ones worth paying for.
>
> I couldn't part with music streaming. It's just too convenient and it's
> still cheaper than buying for me as I regularly add new music to my
> library.

That is of course a good point, although I could probably go back to
just buying albums as and when I wanted them, or could afford to buy them.

Indeed, streaming has removed a large source of presents for birthdays
and Christmas etc. :-/

> Films are a real disappointment. I really wish film streaming was much more
> like music. It's too fragmented, not enough content, it's always the same
> type of content and worst of all content disappears regularly.

That's the most annoying thing, when a film, or series you wanted to
watch, suddenly disappears. At least Apple haven't done that yet.

I also have to agree with some reviewers now, that the amount of content
on Apple TV+ that's watchable is much greater than others. However, I
still don't think it represents as good value overall.

> I was also thinking the other day that buying blurays and DVDs would be
> better.

I just gave away all mine over the last few months (I had hundreds of
the things).

>> I could also just revert back to my collection of vinyl LPs ;-).
>
> Can't really fit them in your phone 🤣

The entire collection of stuff didn't fit into my house!

I've noticed that even the cost of buying movies outright has increased
by quite a chunk too.

--
Andy H

Re: Latest services price hikes

<ujj3vm$virj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18588&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18588

From: hugyb...@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 21:29:42 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Tue, 21 Nov 2023 20:29 UTC

Am 21.11.23 um 17:54 schrieb Andy H:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Andy H <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
>>> I subscribe to the premium family Apple One account here (it is actually
>>> the cheapest way to use all the stuff I need/want).
>>>
>>> However, I do feel the latest price hikes (for some of the individual
>>> services, or for the One account), are just too much. The percentage
>>> increase is, well, unreasonable (£5 on top of £32.95).
>>>
>>> Exactly what do they use to calculate inflation? It’s certainly not
>>> anything I’m buying!
>>>
>>> Although, it is still reasonable value for a family to share (but here it’s
>>> just the two of us). It still has me now thinking about my future use of
>>> the iCloud services, and even as far as will I even stick with Apple?
>>
>> Is there an alternative? Looking at this in the past they're all priced
>> "competitively" meaning they're all the same.
>
> Not really, the alternative is to stop buying into them at all I guess.
>
> It’s not so much the price itself, but the rate and size of the increases
> in such a short period - in comparison to the previous few years.

Usually called oligopolistic market behaviour. Or even monopolistic?

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Latest services price hikes

<ujkk0p$19o18$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18589&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#18589

From: watcombe...@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 10:09:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Wed, 22 Nov 2023 10:09 UTC

On 21 Nov 2023 at 16:54:29 GMT, "Andy H" <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:

> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Andy H <thewildrover@icloud.com> wrote:
>>> I subscribe to the premium family Apple One account here (it is actually
>>> the cheapest way to use all the stuff I need/want).
>>>
>>> However, I do feel the latest price hikes (for some of the individual
>>> services, or for the One account), are just too much. The percentage
>>> increase is, well, unreasonable (£5 on top of £32.95).
>>>
>>> Exactly what do they use to calculate inflation? It’s certainly not
>>> anything I’m buying!
>>>
>>> Although, it is still reasonable value for a family to share (but here it’s
>>> just the two of us). It still has me now thinking about my future use of
>>> the iCloud services, and even as far as will I even stick with Apple?
>>
>> Is there an alternative? Looking at this in the past they're all priced
>> "competitively" meaning they're all the same.
>
> Not really, the alternative is to stop buying into them at all I guess.
>
> It’s not so much the price itself, but the rate and size of the increases
> in such a short period - in comparison to the previous few years.
>
> It’s certainly feeling like the old hook, line, and sinker scenario. I feel
> this is more that they all think they have us hooked enough now, that we
> will pay more and more to keep the services.
>
> However, personally I’m starting to become overwhelmed by them all, too
> many, charging too much. I’m one of those that switches in and out of
> monthly subscriptions, apart from a couple that I use most.
>
> My alternative is to keep my photos on a local HDD (which I still have as a
> backup anyway, but switch to that as my main library), and go back to
> buying music and films as an when I find ones worth paying for.
>
> I could also just revert back to my collection of vinyl LPs ;-).

Some years ago I looked at my collection, which comprised shellac (one of
Enrico Caruso and quite a few from the 30s), vinyl and CD. There was even one
metal one, made by Anne as a toddler on WSM pier!

I thought, my record player is dying. It will cost a LOT to replace it. So why
not buy a transcriber and digitise the lot? I had an iMac with a DVD/CD slot
in those days, so those could go into Music (then iTunes, IIRC) easy-peasy.

So I did that. It took a long time, but I had that. And now I can play any of
them on all my Mac devices and, thanks to the miracles of modern technology,
on the TV.

Just as well I did, because when we moved (downsizing drastically in the
process) they would have had to go and no time to rescue anything.

And what of the transcriber? I passed it on to one of my sons; whether he
still has, used it or whatever I don't know.

>>> It’s not like they need to do this to bolster ailing profits. Seems to me
>>> they’re just jumping on the old bandwagon, and following everyone else with
>>> the subscription service price hikes.
>>
>> Don't forget the poor old shareholders. Any drops in sales figures would
>> affect the share price.
>
> Indeed, the real cause of the problem!

--
God made the integers; all else is the work of man.