"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere." -- Dr. Seuss

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Scratchings in the night

SubjectAuthor
* Scratchings in the nightBrian Gaff
+* Scratchings in the nightTease'n'Seize
|+* Scratchings in the nightRustyHinge
||`- Scratchings in the nightPeter
|`* Scratchings in the nightBrian Gaff
| `* Scratchings in the nightRustyHinge
|  +- Scratchings in the nightTone
|  `* Scratchings in the nightMike Fleming
|   `- Scratchings in the nightRustyHinge
+* Scratchings in the nightTone
|`* Scratchings in the nightBrian Gaff
| `* Scratchings in the nightBernard Peek
|  `* Scratchings in the nightTone
|   `* Scratchings in the nightKerr-Mudd, John
|    `* Scratchings in the nightTone
|     +- Scratchings in the nightgreymaus
|     +* Scratchings in the nightJim the Geordie
|     |`- Scratchings in the nightMike Fleming
|     +* Scratchings in the nightRustyHinge
|     |+- Scratchings in the nightSam Plusnet
|     |`* Scratchings in the nightTease'n'Seize
|     | `- Scratchings in the nightMike Spencer
|     `* Scratchings in the nightGeoff Ellis
|      `- Scratchings in the nightKerr-Mudd, John
+* Scratchings in the nightRustyHinge
|`- Scratchings in the nightBrian Gaff
+* Scratchings in the nightBrian
|`* Scratchings in the nightKerr-Mudd, John
| `* Scratchings in the nightSam Plusnet
|  `* Scratchings in the nightJohn Williamson
|   +* Scratchings in the nightTone
|   |+* Scratchings in the nightJohn Williamson
|   ||+* Scratchings in the nightTone
|   |||`- Scratchings in the nightRustyHinge
|   ||`- Scratchings in the nightRustyHinge
|   |`- Scratchings in the nightRustyHinge
|   +* Scratchings in the nightMike Fleming
|   |`* Scratchings in the nightNicholas D. Richards
|   | +* Scratchings in the nightThomas Prufer
|   | |`* Scratchings in the nightPeter
|   | | `* Scratchings in the nightchrisnd@privacy.net
|   | |  +* Scratchings in the nightTone
|   | |  |`- Scratchings in the nightJohn Williamson
|   | |  `* Scratchings in the nightNicholas D. Richards
|   | |   +- Scratchings in the nightMike Fleming
|   | |   `* Scratchings in the nightchrisnd@privacy.net
|   | |    `- Scratchings in the nightTone
|   | +- Scratchings in the nightPeter
|   | `- Scratchings in the nightAdrian
|   `* Scratchings in the nightchrisnd@privacy.net
|    `- Scratchings in the nightJohn Williamson
`- Scratchings in the nightAdrian Caspersz

Pages:123
Scratchings in the night

<tqgglk$2iloh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18855&group=uk.rec.sheds#18855

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Scratchings in the night
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 11:01:03 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 11:01 UTC

For some nights now I've been aware of a kind of plastic scratching noise in
the middle of the night, seemingly coming from the eaves, but audible in my
bedroom.
There seems to be no signs of rat or mouse infestation anywhere, and as far
as I am aware no squirrels are around here either.
So I have a feeling it may be roosting birds, but obviously I'm not going
to get sighted help at 3am in the morning. I suspect somebody has installed
one of those floodlights nearby, and its waking up the birds when it comes
on.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Scratchings in the night

<hyidnSqIWb9pd1b-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18856&group=uk.rec.sheds#18856

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 13:38:58 +0000
Subject: Re: Scratchings in the night
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 13:38 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> For some nights now I've been aware of a kind of plastic scratching noise in
> the middle of the night, seemingly coming from the eaves, but audible in my
> bedroom.
> There seems to be no signs of rat or mouse infestation anywhere, and as far
> as I am aware no squirrels are around here either.
> So I have a feeling it may be roosting birds

whenever I've been aware of such noises, and worried it may be rodents,
it has turned out to be bird(s) can you leave a loft-hatch open to see
of they'll come down ... then again, getting a panicing bird our of the
house is hard enough when you can see the blighter.

Re: Scratchings in the night

<tqgq4v$2k5jp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18857&group=uk.rec.sheds#18857

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 13:42:44 +0000
 by: Tone - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 13:42 UTC

On 21/01/2023 11:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
> For some nights now I've been aware of a kind of plastic scratching noise in
> the middle of the night, seemingly coming from the eaves, but audible in my
> bedroom.
> There seems to be no signs of rat or mouse infestation anywhere, and as far
> as I am aware no squirrels are around here either.
> So I have a feeling it may be roosting birds, but obviously I'm not going
> to get sighted help at 3am in the morning. I suspect somebody has installed
> one of those floodlights nearby, and its waking up the birds when it comes
> on.
> Brian

Bats? (Not bats).

Tone

Re: Scratchings in the night

<tqh4ul$2lrof$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18860&group=uk.rec.sheds#18860

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 16:47:16 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 16:47 UTC

On 21/01/2023 11:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
> For some nights now I've been aware of a kind of plastic scratching noise in
> the middle of the night, seemingly coming from the eaves, but audible in my
> bedroom.
> There seems to be no signs of rat or mouse infestation anywhere, and as far
> as I am aware no squirrels are around here either.
> So I have a feeling it may be roosting birds, but obviously I'm not going
> to get sighted help at 3am in the morning. I suspect somebody has installed
> one of those floodlights nearby, and its waking up the birds when it comes
> on.
> Brian

You won't get elp at 3am in the afternoon either.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Scratchings in the night

<tqh55a$2m1cp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18861&group=uk.rec.sheds#18861

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 16:50:49 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 16:50 UTC

On 21/01/2023 13:38, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
> Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> For some nights now I've been aware of a kind of plastic scratching
>> noise in
>> the middle of the night, seemingly coming from the eaves, but audible
>> in my
>> bedroom.
>>   There seems to be no signs of rat or mouse infestation anywhere, and
>> as far
>> as I am aware no squirrels are around here either.
>>   So I have a feeling it may be roosting birds
>
> whenever I've been aware of such noises, and worried it may be rodents,
> it has turned out to be bird(s) can you leave a loft-hatch open to see
> of they'll come down ... then again, getting a panicing bird our of the
> house is hard enough when you can see the blighter.

A few of years ago I had a jackdaw fall down the chimney. It only took a
minuet with the fromt door open and it was gorn.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Scratchings in the night

<XnsAF93B38CF888Factura3476@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18863&group=uk.rec.sheds#18863

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 17:39:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 17:39 UTC

RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in

> On 21/01/2023 13:38, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
>> Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> For some nights now I've been aware of a kind of plastic scratching
>>> noise in
>>> the middle of the night, seemingly coming from the eaves, but
>>> audible in my
>>> bedroom.
>>>   There seems to be no signs of rat or mouse infestation anywhere,
>>> and as far
>>> as I am aware no squirrels are around here either.
>>>   So I have a feeling it may be roosting birds
>>
>> whenever I've been aware of such noises, and worried it may be
>> rodents, it has turned out to be bird(s) can you leave a loft-hatch
>> open to see of they'll come down ... then again, getting a panicing
>> bird our of the house is hard enough when you can see the blighter.
>
> A few of years ago I had a jackdaw fall down the chimney. It only took
> a minuet with the fromt door open and it was gorn.

We had a small owl down the chimbly. It panicked and flew around hitting
the walls until I managed to get it out of the front door. The owl was
sooty (not Sooty) and the walls had recently been whitewashed. We had a
beautiful imprint of an owl on one wall for years.

--
Peter
-----

Re: Scratchings in the night

<tqjcm0$3491a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18868&group=uk.rec.sheds#18868

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 13:11:27 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 13:11 UTC

There is a loft hatch, During the winter its taped up to stop howling wind
syndrome as the roof has no lining, ie there are little gaps between the
tiles. I have a plastic gutter and sophet, and I think that is the place the
sound is from. Not really the weather to get somebody into the loft and up a
ladder at the moment!
You can of course hear the creaking of the gutter when sun gets on it. Never
had that with the cast iron gutters, but then a falling cast iron gutter
can kill you.
Brian

--

--:
"Tease'n'Seize" <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote in message
> Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> For some nights now I've been aware of a kind of plastic scratching noise
>> in
>> the middle of the night, seemingly coming from the eaves, but audible in
>> my
>> bedroom.
>> There seems to be no signs of rat or mouse infestation anywhere, and as
>> far
>> as I am aware no squirrels are around here either.
>> So I have a feeling it may be roosting birds
>
> whenever I've been aware of such noises, and worried it may be rodents, it
> has turned out to be bird(s) can you leave a loft-hatch open to see of
> they'll come down ... then again, getting a panicing bird our of the house
> is hard enough when you can see the blighter.

Re: Scratchings in the night

<tqjcvj$34aeu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18869&group=uk.rec.sheds#18869

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 13:16:35 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 13:16 UTC

Actually there are bats, as one caught me on the arm a few years ago.Not
sure who was the most surprised. I thought bats all hung upside down, and
its not easy to do that up there, or in the loft for that matter. Most of
the bats are living near the local streams and rivers, but one supposes
roam far and wide at night, but in this weather, I wonder what they eat?

Brian

--

--:
"Tone" <tone@email.com> wrote in message
> On 21/01/2023 11:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> For some nights now I've been aware of a kind of plastic scratching noise
>> in
>> the middle of the night, seemingly coming from the eaves, but audible in
>> my
>> bedroom.
>> There seems to be no signs of rat or mouse infestation anywhere, and as
>> far
>> as I am aware no squirrels are around here either.
>> So I have a feeling it may be roosting birds, but obviously I'm not
>> going
>> to get sighted help at 3am in the morning. I suspect somebody has
>> installed
>> one of those floodlights nearby, and its waking up the birds when it
>> comes
>> on.
>> Brian
>>

> Bats? (Not bats).
>
> Tone

Re: Scratchings in the night

<tqjd2f$34apg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18870&group=uk.rec.sheds#18870

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 13:18:07 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 13:18 UTC

You must live in a different universe.

Maybe you are inside the arctic circle.
Brian

--

--:
"RustyHinge" <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 21/01/2023 11:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> For some nights now I've been aware of a kind of plastic scratching noise
>> in
>> the middle of the night, seemingly coming from the eaves, but audible in
>> my
>> bedroom.
>> There seems to be no signs of rat or mouse infestation anywhere, and as
>> far
>> as I am aware no squirrels are around here either.
>> So I have a feeling it may be roosting birds, but obviously I'm not
>> going
>> to get sighted help at 3am in the morning. I suspect somebody has
>> installed
>> one of those floodlights nearby, and its waking up the birds when it
>> comes
>> on.
>> Brian
>>
> You won't get elp at 3am in the afternoon either.
>

> --
> Rusty Hinge
> To err is human. To really foul things up requires a computer and the
> BOFH.

Re: Scratchings in the night

<tqk071$37cru$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18874&group=uk.rec.sheds#18874

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 18:44:49 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 18:44 UTC

On 22/01/2023 13:11, Brian Gaff wrote:
> There is a loft hatch, During the winter its taped up to stop howling wind
> syndrome as the roof has no lining, ie there are little gaps between the
> tiles. I have a plastic gutter and sophet, and I think that is the place the
> sound is from. Not really the weather to get somebody into the loft and up a
> ladder at the moment!
> You can of course hear the creaking of the gutter when sun gets on it. Never
> had that with the cast iron gutters, but then a falling cast iron gutter
> can kill you.

So can a plastic one if it falls lenghthwise.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Scratchings in the night

<tqk248$37ne2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18875&group=uk.rec.sheds#18875

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 19:17:28 +0000
 by: Tone - Sun, 22 Jan 2023 19:17 UTC

On 22/01/2023 18:44, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 22/01/2023 13:11, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> There is a loft hatch, During the winter its taped up to stop howling
>> wind
>> syndrome as the roof has no lining, ie there are little gaps between the
>> tiles. I have a plastic gutter and sophet, and I think that is the
>> place the
>> sound is from. Not really the weather to get somebody into the loft
>> and up a
>> ladder at the moment!
>> You can of course hear the creaking of the gutter when sun gets on it.
>> Never
>> had that with the cast iron gutters, but then a  falling cast iron gutter
>> can kill you.
>
> So can a plastic one if it falls lenghthwise.

You'd be gutted.

Tone

Re: Scratchings in the night

<k365ifFgfsfU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18876&group=uk.rec.sheds#18876

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 01:18:06 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 01:18 UTC

On 22/01/2023 18:44, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 22/01/2023 13:11, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> There is a loft hatch, During the winter its taped up to stop howling
>> wind
>> syndrome as the roof has no lining, ie there are little gaps between the
>> tiles. I have a plastic gutter and sophet, and I think that is the
>> place the
>> sound is from. Not really the weather to get somebody into the loft
>> and up a
>> ladder at the moment!
>> You can of course hear the creaking of the gutter when sun gets on it.
>> Never
>> had that with the cast iron gutters, but then a  falling cast iron gutter
>> can kill you.
>
> So can a plastic one if it falls lenghthwise.

Or if it's filled with ice.

Re: Scratchings in the night

<tqlju9$3if16$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18877&group=uk.rec.sheds#18877

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 09:27:37 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 09:27 UTC

On 23/01/2023 01:18, Mike Fleming wrote:
> On 22/01/2023 18:44, RustyHinge wrote:
>> On 22/01/2023 13:11, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>> There is a loft hatch, During the winter its taped up to stop howling
>>> wind
>>> syndrome as the roof has no lining, ie there are little gaps between the
>>> tiles. I have a plastic gutter and sophet, and I think that is the
>>> place the
>>> sound is from. Not really the weather to get somebody into the loft
>>> and up a
>>> ladder at the moment!
>>> You can of course hear the creaking of the gutter when sun gets on
>>> it. Never
>>> had that with the cast iron gutters, but then a  falling cast iron
>>> gutter
>>> can kill you.
>>
>> So can a plastic one if it falls lenghthwise.
>
> Or if it's filled with ice.

Headline: Global Warming Saves Gutter Snipe!!!

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Scratchings in the night

<k3avqpF8n47U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18887&group=uk.rec.sheds#18887

From: bap...@shrdlu.com (Bernard Peek)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 24 Jan 2023 21:10:49 GMT
 by: Bernard Peek - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 21:10 UTC

There's a streetlight just outside. At night you can see bats hoovering up
the insects it attracts. There are bat boxes in the woods behing our house.

On 2023-01-22, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually there are bats, as one caught me on the arm a few years ago.Not
> sure who was the most surprised. I thought bats all hung upside down, and
> its not easy to do that up there, or in the loft for that matter. Most of
> the bats are living near the local streams and rivers, but one supposes
> roam far and wide at night, but in this weather, I wonder what they eat?

Re: Scratchings in the night

<tqpv7j$a2l3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18889&group=uk.rec.sheds#18889

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 01:04:50 +0000
 by: Tone - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 01:04 UTC

On 24/01/2023 21:10, Bernard Peek wrote:
> There's a streetlight just outside. At night you can see bats hoovering up
> the insects it attracts. There are bat boxes in the woods behing our house.
>

> On 2023-01-22, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Actually there are bats, as one caught me on the arm a few years ago.Not
>> sure who was the most surprised. I thought bats all hung upside down, and
>> its not easy to do that up there, or in the loft for that matter. Most of
>> the bats are living near the local streams and rivers, but one supposes
>> roam far and wide at night, but in this weather, I wonder what they eat?

The collapsed Greywell Tunnel at the end of the supposedly still
navigable length of the Basingstoke Canal is now a bat roost.

We used to go on 'bat walks' at dusk to see them swarming out of the
tunnel. An amazing sight!

The water in the tunnel is fed by aquifers. During restoration days we
used to drink it. It was filtered, cold and pure. But I wouldn't want to
drink it now, not with all that bat guano in it!

Better to have a pint or three in The Fox & Goose pub above the tunnel
entrance!

(Also a very good free campsite. Or it was.)

Tone

Re: Scratchings in the night

<20230125105330.b3e7abad59e237fe18219abc@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18890&group=uk.rec.sheds#18890

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 10:53:30 +0000
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 10:53 UTC

On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 01:04:50 +0000
Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

> On 24/01/2023 21:10, Bernard Peek wrote:
> > There's a streetlight just outside. At night you can see bats hoovering up
> > the insects it attracts. There are bat boxes in the woods behing our house.
> >

> > On 2023-01-22, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Actually there are bats, as one caught me on the arm a few years ago.Not
> >> sure who was the most surprised. I thought bats all hung upside down, and
> >> its not easy to do that up there, or in the loft for that matter. Most of
> >> the bats are living near the local streams and rivers, but one supposes
> >> roam far and wide at night, but in this weather, I wonder what they eat?
> >

> The collapsed Greywell Tunnel at the end of the supposedly still
> navigable length of the Basingstoke Canal is now a bat roost.
>
> We used to go on 'bat walks' at dusk to see them swarming out of the
> tunnel. An amazing sight!
>
> The water in the tunnel is fed by aquifers. During restoration days we
> used to drink it. It was filtered, cold and pure. But I wouldn't want to
> drink it now, not with all that bat guano in it!
>
> Better to have a pint or three in The Fox & Goose pub above the tunnel
> entrance!
>
> (Also a very good free campsite. Or it was.)

seems to be OK as at May 2021 (camping price unspecified):

https://whatpub.com/pubs/HAN/096/fox-goose-greywell

Doom. feh.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Scratchings in the night

<tqr3pe$l2i3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18891&group=uk.rec.sheds#18891

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 11:28:46 +0000
 by: Tone - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 11:28 UTC

On 25/01/2023 10:53, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 01:04:50 +0000
> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
>
>> On 24/01/2023 21:10, Bernard Peek wrote:
>>> There's a streetlight just outside. At night you can see bats hoovering up
>>> the insects it attracts. There are bat boxes in the woods behing our house.

>> The collapsed Greywell Tunnel at the end of the supposedly still
>> navigable length of the Basingstoke Canal is now a bat roost.
>>
>> We used to go on 'bat walks' at dusk to see them swarming out of the
>> tunnel. An amazing sight!
>>
>> The water in the tunnel is fed by aquifers. During restoration days we
>> used to drink it. It was filtered, cold and pure. But I wouldn't want to
>> drink it now, not with all that bat guano in it!
>>
>> Better to have a pint or three in The Fox & Goose pub above the tunnel
>> entrance!
>>
>> (Also a very good free campsite. Or it was.)
>>

> seems to be OK as at May 2021 (camping price unspecified):
>
> https://whatpub.com/pubs/HAN/096/fox-goose-greywell
>
> Doom. feh.

Am I unique in actually liking Doom Bar?

Tone

Re: Scratchings in the night

<slrntt25ms.9lv.greymaus@dmaus.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18892&group=uk.rec.sheds#18892

From: greym...@dmaus.org (greymaus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 25 Jan 2023 11:47:40 GMT
 by: greymaus - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 11:47 UTC

On 2023-01-25, Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:
> On 25/01/2023 10:53, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 01:04:50 +0000
>> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

re: Scratchings in the night:

After looking at some horror films, and soft porn, I recommend the
following.

Open Attic trapdoor, discovering that bulb does not work.

Ask, "Is there anything there?."

There is a former corn mill near Sallins, Co Kildare, that has been
declared a bat sanctuary.

--
greymausg@mail.com

Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the stench of an Influencer.
Where is our money gone, Dude?

Re: Scratchings in the night

<MPG.3e3b276897b295ef9896f6@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18893&group=uk.rec.sheds#18893

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 11:48:32 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 11:48 UTC

In article <tqr3pe$l2i3$1@dont-email.me>, tone@email.com says...

> On 25/01/2023 10:53, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 01:04:50 +0000
> > Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

> >> The collapsed Greywell Tunnel at the end of the supposedly still
> >> navigable length of the Basingstoke Canal is now a bat roost.
> >>
> >> We used to go on 'bat walks' at dusk to see them swarming out of the
> >> tunnel. An amazing sight!
> >>
> >> The water in the tunnel is fed by aquifers. During restoration days we
> >> used to drink it. It was filtered, cold and pure. But I wouldn't want to
> >> drink it now, not with all that bat guano in it!
> >>
> >> Better to have a pint or three in The Fox & Goose pub above the tunnel
> >> entrance!
> >>
> >> (Also a very good free campsite. Or it was.)
> >>

> > seems to be OK as at May 2021 (camping price unspecified):
> >
> > https://whatpub.com/pubs/HAN/096/fox-goose-greywell
> >
> > Doom. feh.
> >

> Am I unique in actually liking Doom Bar?
>
> Tone

No you aren't. In my top 3/4 ales.
It must be a 'seller' as 2 out of 3 gastropubs I frequent have it either
on tap or in bottles. Like most ales I expect the bottle version to be
stronger (ABV) the the draught version.

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Scratchings in the night

<k3cl5aFfvfkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18894&group=uk.rec.sheds#18894

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 12:20:57 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 12:20 UTC

On 25/01/2023 11:48, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> In article <tqr3pe$l2i3$1@dont-email.me>, tone@email.com says...
>>
>> On 25/01/2023 10:53, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>>>
>>> seems to be OK as at May 2021 (camping price unspecified):
>>>
>>> https://whatpub.com/pubs/HAN/096/fox-goose-greywell
>>>
>>> Doom. feh.
>>
>> Am I unique in actually liking Doom Bar?
>>
>> Tone
>
> No you aren't. In my top 3/4 ales.
> It must be a 'seller' as 2 out of 3 gastropubs I frequent have it either
> on tap or in bottles. Like most ales I expect the bottle version to be
> stronger (ABV) the the draught version.

I'm not keen on it, though other members of my family do. It's one of
the default real ales because it hasn't got any defining characteristic.
I'll drink it if there's no decent pale ales on.

Re: Scratchings in the night

<tqr7bj$lmgp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18895&group=uk.rec.sheds#18895

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 12:29:38 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 12:29 UTC

On 25/01/2023 11:28, Tone wrote:
> On 25/01/2023 10:53, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 01:04:50 +0000
>> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

>>> The collapsed Greywell Tunnel at the end of the supposedly still
>>> navigable length of the Basingstoke Canal is now a bat roost.
>>>
>>> We used to go on 'bat walks' at dusk to see them swarming out of the
>>> tunnel. An amazing sight!
>>>
>>> The water in the tunnel is fed by aquifers. During restoration days we
>>> used to drink it. It was filtered, cold and pure. But I wouldn't want to
>>> drink it now, not with all that bat guano in it!
>>>
>>> Better to have a pint or three in The Fox & Goose pub above the tunnel
>>> entrance!
>>>
>>> (Also a very good free campsite. Or it was.)
>>>

>> seems to be OK as at May 2021 (camping price unspecified):
>>
>> https://whatpub.com/pubs/HAN/096/fox-goose-greywell
>>
>> Doom. feh.
>>

> Am I unique in actually liking Doom Bar?

No. I used to sup it quite regulaly in the Edith Cavell in that Norwich.

I've tasted a lot worser

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Scratchings in the night

<s4fAL.2989033$%fx6.1421914@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18897&group=uk.rec.sheds#18897

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 19:06:01 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 19:06 UTC

On 25-Jan-23 12:29, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 25/01/2023 11:28, Tone wrote:
>> On 25/01/2023 10:53, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

>>> seems to be OK as at May 2021 (camping price unspecified):
>>>
>>> https://whatpub.com/pubs/HAN/096/fox-goose-greywell
>>>
>>> Doom. feh.
>>>

>> Am I unique in actually liking Doom Bar?
>
> No. I used to sup it quite regulaly in the Edith Cavell in that Norwich.
>
> I've tasted a lot worser

That sums it up for me. It's often the best of a limited set of choices.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Scratchings in the night

<vehAL.2376656$14z3.1977033@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18898&group=uk.rec.sheds#18898

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: astra...@geoff-ellis.co.uk (Geoff Ellis)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 21:33:15 +0000
 by: Geoff Ellis - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 21:33 UTC

On 25/01/2023 11:28, Tone wrote:
> On 25/01/2023 10:53, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 01:04:50 +0000
>> Tone <tone@email.com> wrote:

>>> The collapsed Greywell Tunnel at the end of the supposedly still
>>> navigable length of the Basingstoke Canal is now a bat roost.
>>>
>>> We used to go on 'bat walks' at dusk to see them swarming out of the
>>> tunnel. An amazing sight!
>>>
>>> The water in the tunnel is fed by aquifers. During restoration days we
>>> used to drink it. It was filtered, cold and pure. But I wouldn't want to
>>> drink it now, not with all that bat guano in it!
>>>
>>> Better to have a pint or three in The Fox & Goose pub above the tunnel
>>> entrance!
>>>
>>> (Also a very good free campsite. Or it was.)
>>>

>> seems to be OK as at May 2021 (camping price unspecified):
>>
>> https://whatpub.com/pubs/HAN/096/fox-goose-greywell
>>
>> Doom. feh.
>>

> Am I unique in actually liking Doom Bar?
>
> Tone
Nope, great ale tho I prefer Butcombe Original.

Re: Scratchings in the night

<20230126091513.ce670071f7d33b039c48ca80@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18899&group=uk.rec.sheds#18899

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 09:15:13 +0000
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 09:15 UTC

On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 21:33:15 +0000
Geoff Ellis <astraweb@geoff-ellis.co.uk> wrote:

> On 25/01/2023 11:28, Tone wrote:
> > On 25/01/2023 10:53, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

> >> seems to be OK as at May 2021 (camping price unspecified):
> >>
> >> https://whatpub.com/pubs/HAN/096/fox-goose-greywell
> >>
> >> Doom. feh.
> >>

> > Am I unique in actually liking Doom Bar?
> >
> > Tone
> Nope, great ale tho I prefer Butcombe Original.

eh? To me they're not comparable beers.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Scratchings in the night

<UqudnVV0sI-Mkkn-nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18941&group=uk.rec.sheds#18941

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 17:51:10 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 17:51 UTC

RustyHinge wrote:

> Tone wrote:
>
>> Am I unique in actually liking Doom Bar?
>
> No. I used to sup it quite regulaly in the Edith Cavell in that Norwich.

An 'oss pissole that serves beer? No wait, that's in Peterbore rather
than Norwich, innit ...