<Omnic> another .sig addition

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

SubjectAuthor
* being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoySH
+* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that IVir Campestris
|`* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
| `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at homeRJH
|  `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
|   `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that IRob Morley
|    `- Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
+- Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at homeTheo
+* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that IAdrian Caspersz
|`* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
| `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
|  `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at homeTheo
|   +- Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
|   `- Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that IAdrian Caspersz
+* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that IGB
|`* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
| `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
|  `- Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
`* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that IRaj Kundra
 `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
  +* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
  |`- Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at homeTheo
  +* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at homeRichard Kettlewell
  |`- Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
  `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that IRaj Kundra
   `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
    `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that IGlowingBlueMist
     `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
      `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that IGlowingBlueMist
       `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
        `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that IGlowingBlueMist
         `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
          `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that IGlowingBlueMist
           `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
            `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at homeTheo
             `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
              `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that IRaj Kundra
               `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
                `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at homeSteve Hough
                 `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
                  `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at homeSteve Hough
                   `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that ISH
                    +* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that IRaj Kundra
                    |`- Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at homeSteve Hough
                    `* Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at homeTheo
                     `- Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that IRaj Kundra

Pages:12
Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<srl23b$7ie$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1790&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1790

From: GlowingB...@blackhole.io (GlowingBlueMist)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I
enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:58:47 -0600
 by: GlowingBlueMist - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 22:58 UTC

On 1/11/2022 2:03 AM, SH wrote:
> On 11/01/2022 04:35, GlowingBlueMist wrote:

>>> that may be so, but it still leaves me with a problem of being able
>>> to use my own DNS rather than the one(s) that the friend/family's ISP
>>> is using....
>>>
>>> WHich bring me back to my OP. :-)
>> You could walk around with one of those PC's on a flash drive.  Linux
>> and possibly a version of Windows could be setup that way.  Boot the
>> local PC and tell it to use the flash rather than internal hard drive.
>>
>> You would preset the portable OS drive to use your VPN tunnel the same
>> as your cell phones.  When done, remove the flash drive and reboot the
>> hosts PC and all would be back to "normal".
>>
>> Many flash drives are now physically small enough to be placed onto a
>> key ring.
>

> Thats not a bad idea actually....  (*)
>
> now to find a very lightweight Linux distro that boots qucikly and
> allows persistence back to the USB stick.....
>
> (*) assuming that the Bios has got USB set as a boot drive before the
> HDD, if not, that the bios is not PWD protected or the owner might ask
> questions as to why I need to go into the bios!
With UEFI and BIOS using differing boot formats you might need two
drives, one for each type. Like you said with luck the borrowed machine
will boot to the flash drive with out any physical assistance.

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<srm463$16d2$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1791&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1791

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 08:40:34 +0000
 by: SH - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 08:40 UTC

On 11/01/2022 22:58, GlowingBlueMist wrote:
> On 1/11/2022 2:03 AM, SH wrote:

>>> You could walk around with one of those PC's on a flash drive.  Linux
>>> and possibly a version of Windows could be setup that way.  Boot the
>>> local PC and tell it to use the flash rather than internal hard drive.
>>>
>>> You would preset the portable OS drive to use your VPN tunnel the
>>> same as your cell phones.  When done, remove the flash drive and
>>> reboot the hosts PC and all would be back to "normal".
>>>
>>> Many flash drives are now physically small enough to be placed onto a
>>> key ring.
>>

>> Thats not a bad idea actually....  (*)
>>
>> now to find a very lightweight Linux distro that boots qucikly and
>> allows persistence back to the USB stick.....
>>
>> (*) assuming that the Bios has got USB set as a boot drive before the
>> HDD, if not, that the bios is not PWD protected or the owner might ask
>> questions as to why I need to go into the bios!
> With UEFI and BIOS using differing boot formats you might need two
> drives, one for each type.  Like you said with luck the borrowed machine
> will boot to the flash drive with out any physical assistance.

actually two more thoughts occur to me:

1. Is it possible to have a self-executable self contained Virtual
machine file on the USB stick that does not require the host machine to
have hyper-v or Virtual box or citrix or Zen/Xen? almost like where you
can try out a Linux from a Live CD in Windows before making the decision
to install?

I could then set up the VM with wireguard and a browser.

2. is there a self executable self contained web browser that has
Wireguard embedded and allows me to specificy the IP of my home network
and the IP of my home DNS?

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<srok7c$af0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1792&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1792

From: GlowingB...@blackhole.io (GlowingBlueMist)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 01:26:34 -0600
 by: GlowingBlueMist - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 07:26 UTC

On 1/12/2022 2:40 AM, SH wrote:
> On 11/01/2022 22:58, GlowingBlueMist wrote:

>>> Thats not a bad idea actually....  (*)
>>>
>>> now to find a very lightweight Linux distro that boots qucikly and
>>> allows persistence back to the USB stick.....
>>>
>>> (*) assuming that the Bios has got USB set as a boot drive before the
>>> HDD, if not, that the bios is not PWD protected or the owner might
>>> ask questions as to why I need to go into the bios!
>> With UEFI and BIOS using differing boot formats you might need two
>> drives, one for each type.  Like you said with luck the borrowed
>> machine will boot to the flash drive with out any physical assistance.
>

> actually two more thoughts occur to me:
>
> 1. Is it possible to have a self-executable self contained Virtual
> machine file on the USB stick that does not require the host machine to
> have hyper-v or Virtual box or citrix or Zen/Xen? almost like where you
> can try out a Linux from a Live CD in Windows before making the decision
> to install?
>
> I could then set up the VM with wireguard and a browser.
>
> 2. is there a self executable self contained web browser that has
> Wireguard embedded and allows me to specificy the IP of my home network
> and the IP of my home DNS?

Might be nice to have but I have no idea on the feasibility of either of
your two questions.

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<sroprh$13h6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1794&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1794

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 09:02:40 +0000
 by: SH - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 09:02 UTC

On 13/01/2022 07:26, GlowingBlueMist wrote:
> On 1/12/2022 2:40 AM, SH wrote:

>>> With UEFI and BIOS using differing boot formats you might need two
>>> drives, one for each type.  Like you said with luck the borrowed
>>> machine will boot to the flash drive with out any physical assistance.
>>

>> actually two more thoughts occur to me:
>>
>> 1. Is it possible to have a self-executable self contained Virtual
>> machine file on the USB stick that does not require the host machine
>> to have hyper-v or Virtual box or citrix or Zen/Xen? almost like where
>> you can try out a Linux from a Live CD in Windows before making the
>> decision to install?
>>
>> I could then set up the VM with wireguard and a browser.
>>
>> 2. is there a self executable self contained web browser that has
>> Wireguard embedded and allows me to specify the IP of my home
>> network and the IP of my home DNS?
>>

> Might be nice to have but I have no idea on the feasibility of either of
> your two questions.

I did a bit of digging around on the internet.

I came across LinuxLive USB creator:

https://www.linuxliveusb.com/

unfortunately, this has not been maintained since 2015

https://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/blog

I could not get this to work as the 2GB memory stick is probably too
small even after downloading a smaller distro like Knoppix CD.
(see comment below)

I also came across Portable Virtualbox at

https://www.vbox.me/ and that is currently using Virtual box v5.1.22.

I tried this, it did appear to install on to USB but Win 10 will not let
it run due to "security issues" and advises me to check for updated
software.

I saw that you can point the installer to a downloaded file so I then
downloaded the latest version of Virtual box which is 6.1 and pointed
the Portable Virtual box installer to that.

It starts to install but aborts abruptly with no message and its clear
that the installation did not complete on the USB stick and there was
still over 1GB spare space.

I do have a 32GB sandisk USB stick floating around somewhere so I was
restriced to a 2GB stick which is probably not enough for doing this
sort of thing.

In any case, you'd probably be best with a very fast USB3 flash memory
stick to make this a viable approach.

So it looks like there was some serious community effort in doing this
but it seems to have stalled.... :-(

I will try this again once I find my 32GB USB3 stick..... :-)

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<j4a8jnF92gaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1795&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1795

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 09:10:14 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 09:10 UTC

On 08/01/2022 11:41, Theo wrote:

> Doing this with Docker just makes things a bit easier to manage all these
> services talking together, and avoids you having to build Guacamole, but I
> wouldn't learn Docker just for the sake of this project - you can just
> install Guacamole natively:
> https://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/installing-guacamole.htm

If anyone is interested, have a look at ...

Remote Access to ANY server - Guacamole WebApp Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq-irDBauvo

.... for a scripted non-docker implementation someone else has created.

https://github.com/MysticRyuujin/guac-install

FWIW, I use docker alongside nginx for https support.

As well as allowing remote networking, Guacamole is useful for me to
access my home computers on my work laptop that has restrictions on
bridging IP networks that shouldn't be bridged.

> You could also use a Windows/Mac/Linux machine on your network to offer #1,
> if you prefer to offer that desktop experience, which would avoid Pi RAM
> limitations.
>
> Theo

For the OP, This youtuber has some other interesting networking related
videos

https://www.youtube.com/c/CraftComputing/videos

e.g.

You're running Pi-Hole wrong! Setting up your own Recursive DNS Server!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnFtWsZ8IP0

--

Adrian C

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<srpefd$up7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1808&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1808

From: GlowingB...@blackhole.io (GlowingBlueMist)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 08:54:35 -0600
 by: GlowingBlueMist - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 14:54 UTC

On 1/13/2022 3:02 AM, SH wrote:
> On 13/01/2022 07:26, GlowingBlueMist wrote:

>>> actually two more thoughts occur to me:
>>>
>>> 1. Is it possible to have a self-executable self contained Virtual
>>> machine file on the USB stick that does not require the host machine
>>> to have hyper-v or Virtual box or citrix or Zen/Xen? almost like
>>> where you can try out a Linux from a Live CD in Windows before making
>>> the decision to install?
>>>
>>> I could then set up the VM with wireguard and a browser.
>>>
>>> 2. is there a self executable self contained web browser that has
>>> Wireguard embedded and allows me to specify the IP of my home network
>>> and the IP of my home DNS?
>>>

>> Might be nice to have but I have no idea on the feasibility of either
>> of your two questions.
>

> I did a bit of digging around on the internet.
>
> I came across LinuxLive USB creator:
>
> https://www.linuxliveusb.com/
>
> unfortunately, this has not been maintained since 2015
>
> https://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/blog
>
> I could not get this to work as the 2GB memory stick is probably too
> small even after downloading a smaller distro like Knoppix CD.
> (see comment below)
>

> I also came across Portable Virtualbox at
>
> https://www.vbox.me/   and that is currently using Virtual box v5.1.22.
>
> I tried this, it did appear to install on to USB but Win 10 will not let
> it run due to "security issues" and advises me to check for updated
> software.
>
> I saw that you can point the installer to a downloaded file so I then
> downloaded the latest version of Virtual box which is 6.1  and pointed
> the Portable Virtual box installer to that.
>
> It starts to install but aborts abruptly with no message and its clear
> that the installation did not complete on the USB stick and there was
> still over 1GB spare space.
>
> I do have a 32GB sandisk USB stick floating around somewhere so I was
> restriced to a 2GB stick which is probably not enough for doing this
> sort of thing.
>
> In any case, you'd probably be best with a very fast USB3 flash memory
> stick to make this a viable approach.
>
> So it looks like there was some serious community effort in doing this
> but it seems to have stalled.... :-(
>
> I will try this again once I find my 32GB USB3 stick..... :-)
You might want to take a look at the programs UNetbootin and Rufus to
actually make the bootable flash.

UNetbootin has a list of distributions, one of is "Damn Small Linux"
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ , not that I've tried that particular
distribution and I suspect your 2GB might still be a bit small a flash
drive. Checkout their offering at
http://damnsmalllinux.org/usb-qemu.html . They claim to be able to boot
a version of their "DML" with out needing to boot the host windows
machine. (kind of sounds like it might be close to what you are looking
for) They are selling a 8GB flash with their program already installed
for $35 plus shipping.

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<srraan$1c5u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1814&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1814

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 07:56:06 +0000
 by: SH - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 07:56 UTC

I came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlHWnKVpygw

its a Raspberry pi thats been turned into a OpenWRT router and also has
a USB Wi fi adapter added.

The idea was you take it to starbucks, use your smartphones and tablets
to join the hotspot created by the Pi (suitably WPA-PSK2'ed)

and the Pi's own onboard Wifi would then join the public wi fi and
create a VPN connection using OpenVPN to a VPN service, in this case
NordVPN.

That got me thinking, a USB ethernet adapter and replace OpenVPN with
Wireguard, sort out some DHCP etc and then use this and a ethernet patch
lead to insert on the ethernet lead between friend/family computer and
their router?

What do the panel think?

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<ABe*JVfEy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1818&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1818

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....
Date: 14 Jan 2022 12:41:50 +0000 (GMT)
References: <sracej$1phl$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srgscu$b87$1@dont-email.me> <srgucu$394$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sri9k9$ovo$1@dont-email.me> <sribgd$g8c$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srj1f7$caq$1@dont-email.me> <srjdl7$1ikk$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srl23b$7ie$1@dont-email.me> <srm463$16d2$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srok7c$af0$1@dont-email.me> <sroprh$13h6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srpefd$up7$1@dont-email.me> <srraan$1c5u$1@gioia.aioe.org>
 by: Theo - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 12:41 UTC

SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:
> That got me thinking, a USB ethernet adapter and replace OpenVPN with
> Wireguard, sort out some DHCP etc and then use this and a ethernet patch
> lead to insert on the ethernet lead between friend/family computer and
> their router?

If your friend has ethernet, why not just plug in a laptop of your own?

You may well find that folks are using wifi from their desktop to their
router anyway. But you might just plug yourself into their router directly,
with a long cable if needs be.

Though not much help if they have put it somewhere inaccessible like in the
loft.

Theo

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<srrraq$1qgn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1819&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1819

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 12:46:17 +0000
 by: SH - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 12:46 UTC

On 14/01/2022 12:41, Theo wrote:
> SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:
>> That got me thinking, a USB ethernet adapter and replace OpenVPN with
>> Wireguard, sort out some DHCP etc and then use this and a ethernet patch
>> lead to insert on the ethernet lead between friend/family computer and
>> their router?
>
> If your friend has ethernet, why not just plug in a laptop of your own?
>
> You may well find that folks are using wifi from their desktop to their
> router anyway. But you might just plug yourself into their router directly,
> with a long cable if needs be.
>
> Though not much help if they have put it somewhere inaccessible like in the
> loft.
>
> Theo

Even if Wifi is used, I could also plug in a Wifi USB and teh pi box
would use wi fi to wi fi as per the Youtube tutorial.

A little pi in a box is infinitely easier to carry around than a laptop,
plus I can't get on with laptop mice so if I can use a friend's desktop
all the better.

I don't actually need access to the router as I can jsut unplug the
ethernet from back of PC and plug my pi in. :-)

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<20220128192012.3aa219b0@Mars>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1874&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1874

From: nos...@ntlworld.com (Rob Morley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 19:20:12 +0000
H2J3@n:NH)h+HQQv-jP3EYU|.*HZ6q6nwd5N7uOFIr+@
 by: Rob Morley - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 19:20 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 10:42:42 +0000
SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:

> The worst was teh Taboola and Outbrain stuff cunningly labelled as
> "Around the Web" but you get taken to sites where the article is
> across multiple pages and loads of adverts and lots of multiple
> "Next" buttons but only one of them actually takes you to the nexty
> page, the others take you to other websites....

I know better than to click those links, yet I still occasionally find
myself falling down the rabbit hole. I wonder how much revenue it
generates, versus how much it devalues clicks.

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<st1ocg$1ed1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1875&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1875

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 21:49:03 +0000
 by: SH - Fri, 28 Jan 2022 21:49 UTC

On 28/01/2022 19:20, Rob Morley wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 10:42:42 +0000
> SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:
>
>> The worst was teh Taboola and Outbrain stuff cunningly labelled as
>> "Around the Web" but you get taken to sites where the article is
>> across multiple pages and loads of adverts and lots of multiple
>> "Next" buttons but only one of them actually takes you to the nexty
>> page, the others take you to other websites....
>>
> I know better than to click those links, yet I still occasionally find
> myself falling down the rabbit hole. I wonder how much revenue it
> generates, versus how much it devalues clicks.

which is why Taboola and Outbrain is in the blocklist :-) I just get a
blank space on the web page where their "stuff" normally appears

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<stbqhb$tbc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1876&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1876

From: raj...@kundracomputers.co.uk (Raj Kundra)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 17:27:06 +0000
 by: Raj Kundra - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 17:27 UTC

On 14/01/2022 12:46, SH wrote:
> On 14/01/2022 12:41, Theo wrote:
>> SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:
>>> That got me thinking, a USB ethernet adapter and replace OpenVPN with
>>> Wireguard, sort out some DHCP etc and then use this and a ethernet
>>> patch
>>> lead to insert on the ethernet lead between friend/family computer and
>>> their router?
>>
>> If your friend has ethernet, why not just plug in a laptop of your own?
>>
>> You may well find that folks are using wifi from their desktop to their
>> router anyway.  But you might just plug yourself into their router
>> directly,
>> with a long cable if needs be.
>>
>> Though not much help if they have put it somewhere inaccessible like
>> in the
>> loft.
>>
>> Theo
>
> Even if Wifi is used, I could also plug in a Wifi USB and teh pi box
> would use wi fi to wi fi as per the Youtube tutorial.
>
> A little pi in a box is infinitely easier to carry around than a
> laptop, plus I can't get on with laptop mice so if I can use a
> friend's desktop all the better.
>
> I don't actually need access to the router as I can jsut unplug the
> ethernet from back of PC and plug my pi in. :-)

Or even better "Do not use Internet"

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<stbqpi$u4m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1877&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1877

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 17:31:30 +0000
 by: SH - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 17:31 UTC

On 01/02/2022 17:27, Raj Kundra wrote:
> On 14/01/2022 12:46, SH wrote:
>>>
>>> If your friend has ethernet, why not just plug in a laptop of your own?
>>>
>>> You may well find that folks are using wifi from their desktop to their
>>> router anyway.  But you might just plug yourself into their router
>>> directly,
>>> with a long cable if needs be.
>>>
>>> Though not much help if they have put it somewhere inaccessible like
>>> in the
>>> loft.
>>>
>>> Theo
>>
>> Even if Wifi is used, I could also plug in a Wifi USB and teh pi box
>> would use wi fi to wi fi as per the Youtube tutorial.
>>
>> A little pi in a box is infinitely easier to carry around than a
>> laptop, plus I can't get on with laptop mice so if I can use a
>> friend's desktop all the better.
>>
>> I don't actually need access to the router as I can jsut unplug the
>> ethernet from back of PC and plug my pi in. :-)
>
> Or even better "Do not use Internet"

that is hard to do now when so much is dependent on it

Tesco dot com for weekly grocery shop
electricity/water/gas bills meter reading submissions
Online banking

Need I go on?

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<stbuhj$tv9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1878&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1878

From: stevenho...@MEyahoo.co.uk (Steve Hough)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 18:35:30 GMT
References: <sracej$1phl$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srgscu$b87$1@dont-email.me> <srgucu$394$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sri9k9$ovo$1@dont-email.me> <sribgd$g8c$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srj1f7$caq$1@dont-email.me> <srjdl7$1ikk$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srl23b$7ie$1@dont-email.me> <srm463$16d2$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srok7c$af0$1@dont-email.me> <sroprh$13h6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srpefd$up7$1@dont-email.me> <srraan$1c5u$1@gioia.aioe.org> <ABe*JVfEy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <srrraq$1qgn$1@gioia.aioe.org> <stbqhb$tbc$1@dont-email.me> <stbqpi$u4m$1@gioia.aioe.org>
 by: Steve Hough - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 18:35 UTC

SH used his keyboard to write :
> On 01/02/2022 17:27, Raj Kundra wrote:

>>> Even if Wifi is used, I could also plug in a
>>> Wifi USB and teh pi box would use wi fi to
>>> wi fi as per the Youtube tutorial.
>>>
>>> A little pi in a box is infinitely easier to
>>> carry around than a laptop, plus I can't get
>>> on with laptop mice so if I can use a
>>> friend's desktop all the better.
>>>
>>> I don't actually need access to the router
>>> as I can jsut unplug the ethernet from back
>>> of PC and plug my pi in. :-)
>>
>> Or even better "Do not use Internet"
>>

> that is hard to do now when so much is
> dependent on it
>
> Tesco dot com for weekly grocery shop
> electricity/water/gas bills meter reading
> submissions
> Online banking
>
> Need I go on?

But why so much effort?

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<stc6gd$to6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1879&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1879

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 20:51:24 +0000
 by: SH - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 20:51 UTC

On 01/02/2022 18:35, Steve Hough wrote:
> SH used his keyboard to write :

>>> Or even better "Do not use Internet"
>>>

>> that is hard to do now when so much is dependent on it
>>
>> Tesco dot com for weekly grocery shop
>> electricity/water/gas bills meter reading submissions
>> Online banking
>>
>> Need I go on?
>
> But why so much effort?

because I want to avoid the trackers and adverts and reduce my attack
surface for malvertising

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<stdmaq$1nn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1880&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1880

From: stevenho...@MEyahoo.co.uk (Steve Hough)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 10:27:38 GMT
References: <sracej$1phl$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srgscu$b87$1@dont-email.me> <srgucu$394$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sri9k9$ovo$1@dont-email.me> <sribgd$g8c$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srj1f7$caq$1@dont-email.me> <srjdl7$1ikk$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srl23b$7ie$1@dont-email.me> <srm463$16d2$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srok7c$af0$1@dont-email.me> <sroprh$13h6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srpefd$up7$1@dont-email.me> <srraan$1c5u$1@gioia.aioe.org> <ABe*JVfEy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <srrraq$1qgn$1@gioia.aioe.org> <stbqhb$tbc$1@dont-email.me> <stbqpi$u4m$1@gioia.aioe.org> <stbuhj$tv9$1@dont-email.me> <stc6gd$to6$1@gioia.aioe.org>
 by: Steve Hough - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 10:27 UTC

SH laid this down on his screen :
> On 01/02/2022 18:35, Steve Hough wrote:
>> SH used his keyboard to write :

>>> that is hard to do now when so much is
>>> dependent on it
>>>
>>> Tesco dot com for weekly grocery shop
>>> electricity/water/gas bills meter reading
>>> submissions
>>> Online banking
>>>
>>> Need I go on?
>>
>> But why so much effort?
>
> because I want to avoid the trackers and
> adverts and reduce my attack surface for
> malvertising

Don't mind me saying, but it does smack a bit of
paranoia. I just run Adblock, works fine for me.

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<stdr4h$1un0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1881&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1881

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 11:49:37 +0000
<srgucu$394$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sri9k9$ovo$1@dont-email.me>
<sribgd$g8c$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srj1f7$caq$1@dont-email.me>
<srjdl7$1ikk$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srl23b$7ie$1@dont-email.me>
<srm463$16d2$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srok7c$af0$1@dont-email.me>
<sroprh$13h6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srpefd$up7$1@dont-email.me>
<srraan$1c5u$1@gioia.aioe.org> <ABe*JVfEy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
<srrraq$1qgn$1@gioia.aioe.org> <stbqhb$tbc$1@dont-email.me>
<stbqpi$u4m$1@gioia.aioe.org> <stbuhj$tv9$1@dont-email.me>
<stc6gd$to6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <stdmaq$1nn$1@dont-email.me>
 by: SH - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 11:49 UTC

On 02/02/2022 10:27, Steve Hough wrote:
> SH laid this down on his screen :
>> On 01/02/2022 18:35, Steve Hough wrote:
>>> SH used his keyboard to write :

>>> But why so much effort?
>>
>> because I want to avoid the trackers and adverts and reduce my attack
>> surface for malvertising
>
> Don't mind me saying, but it does smack a bit of paranoia. I just run
> Adblock, works fine for me.

Ah, you're running adblock at device level.

My DNS, Pi Hole and Wireguard is running at network level so all mobile
phones, tablets and media players like Roku are protected

It means less maintance as I only have to work at one machine rather
than on every device. Some devices resist installation of adguard or
similar.

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<stecs7$tq6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1882&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1882

From: raj...@kundracomputers.co.uk (Raj Kundra)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 16:52:20 +0000
<srgucu$394$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sri9k9$ovo$1@dont-email.me>
<sribgd$g8c$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srj1f7$caq$1@dont-email.me>
<srjdl7$1ikk$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srl23b$7ie$1@dont-email.me>
<srm463$16d2$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srok7c$af0$1@dont-email.me>
<sroprh$13h6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srpefd$up7$1@dont-email.me>
<srraan$1c5u$1@gioia.aioe.org> <ABe*JVfEy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
<srrraq$1qgn$1@gioia.aioe.org> <stbqhb$tbc$1@dont-email.me>
<stbqpi$u4m$1@gioia.aioe.org> <stbuhj$tv9$1@dont-email.me>
<stc6gd$to6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <stdmaq$1nn$1@dont-email.me>
<stdr4h$1un0$1@gioia.aioe.org>
 by: Raj Kundra - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 16:52 UTC

On 02/02/2022 11:49, SH wrote:
> On 02/02/2022 10:27, Steve Hough wrote:
>> SH laid this down on his screen :

>>> because I want to avoid the trackers and adverts and reduce my
>>> attack surface for malvertising
>>
>> Don't mind me saying, but it does smack a bit of paranoia. I just run
>> Adblock, works fine for me.
>
> Ah, you're running adblock at device level.
>
> My DNS, Pi Hole and Wireguard is running at network level so all
> mobile phones, tablets and media players like Roku are protected
>
> It means less maintance as I only have to work at one machine rather
> than on every device. Some devices resist installation of adguard or
> similar.

Next step is to get a bunker, add your own Oxygen supply and recycle
your own waste the list will keep getting longer and longer.

Unless you announce to world that you are a XXXXX, no one is going out
to get you.

Scammers are taking random chance and can be easily avoided by not
clicking on every link in E mail.

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<stembl$cjc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1883&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1883

From: stevenho...@MEyahoo.co.uk (Steve Hough)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 19:34:14 GMT
References: <sracej$1phl$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srgscu$b87$1@dont-email.me> <srgucu$394$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sri9k9$ovo$1@dont-email.me> <sribgd$g8c$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srj1f7$caq$1@dont-email.me> <srjdl7$1ikk$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srl23b$7ie$1@dont-email.me> <srm463$16d2$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srok7c$af0$1@dont-email.me> <sroprh$13h6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srpefd$up7$1@dont-email.me> <srraan$1c5u$1@gioia.aioe.org> <ABe*JVfEy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <srrraq$1qgn$1@gioia.aioe.org> <stbqhb$tbc$1@dont-email.me> <stbqpi$u4m$1@gioia.aioe.org> <stbuhj$tv9$1@dont-email.me> <stc6gd$to6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <stdmaq$1nn$1@dont-email.me> <stdr4h$1un0$1@gioia.aioe.org> <stecs7$tq6$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Steve Hough - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 19:34 UTC

Raj Kundra pretended :
> On 02/02/2022 11:49, SH wrote:
>> On 02/02/2022 10:27, Steve Hough wrote:
>>> SH laid this down on his screen :

>>> Don't mind me saying, but it does smack a
>>> bit of paranoia. I just run Adblock, works
>>> fine for me.
>>
>> Ah, you're running adblock at device level.
>>
>> My DNS, Pi Hole and Wireguard is running at
>> network level so all mobile phones, tablets
>> and media players like Roku are protected
>>
>> It means less maintance as I only have to
>> work at one machine rather than on every
>> device. Some devices resist installation of
>> adguard or similar.
>>
> Next step is to get a bunker, add your own
> Oxygen supply and recycle your own waste the
> list will keep getting longer and longer.
>
> Unless you announce to world that you are a
> XXXXX, no one is going out to get you.
>
> Scammers are taking random chance and can be
> easily avoided by not clicking on every link in
> E mail.

Precisely. Lifes too short for all that faffing.

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<J7i*H1RFy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1884&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1884

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 02 Feb 2022 21:20:07 +0000 (GMT)
References: <sracej$1phl$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srgscu$b87$1@dont-email.me> <srgucu$394$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sri9k9$ovo$1@dont-email.me> <sribgd$g8c$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srj1f7$caq$1@dont-email.me> <srjdl7$1ikk$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srl23b$7ie$1@dont-email.me> <srm463$16d2$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srok7c$af0$1@dont-email.me> <sroprh$13h6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srpefd$up7$1@dont-email.me> <srraan$1c5u$1@gioia.aioe.org> <ABe*JVfEy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <srrraq$1qgn$1@gioia.aioe.org> <stbqhb$tbc$1@dont-email.me> <stbqpi$u4m$1@gioia.aioe.org> <stbuhj$tv9$1@dont-email.me> <stc6gd$to6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <stdmaq$1nn$1@dont-email.me> <stdr4h$1un0$1@gioia.aioe.org>
 by: Theo - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 21:20 UTC

SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:
> Ah, you're running adblock at device level.
>
> My DNS, Pi Hole and Wireguard is running at network level so all mobile
> phones, tablets and media players like Roku are protected
>
> It means less maintance as I only have to work at one machine rather
> than on every device. Some devices resist installation of adguard or
> similar.

For your travelling situation, how about a laptop of your own, an LTE card
(no reliance on others' network), and running Pi-Hole in Docker on the
laptop. That does everything in a one-box solution, with no external
dependencies.

You can plugin external display/keyboard/mouse if you want a 'desktop'
experience, and use wifi at home/in a coffee shop/when staying somewhere you
can find out the password.

A lot of business laptops have a WWAN slot for an internal LTE card, you'd
just need a SIM card for data.

Theo

Re: being able to experience the same "internet experience" that I enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....

<stls2d$jae$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1888&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1888

From: raj...@kundracomputers.co.uk (Raj Kundra)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
enjoy at home on anyone's elses computer when not at home.....
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 12:54:37 +0000
<srgucu$394$1@gioia.aioe.org> <sri9k9$ovo$1@dont-email.me>
<sribgd$g8c$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srj1f7$caq$1@dont-email.me>
<srjdl7$1ikk$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srl23b$7ie$1@dont-email.me>
<srm463$16d2$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srok7c$af0$1@dont-email.me>
<sroprh$13h6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <srpefd$up7$1@dont-email.me>
<srraan$1c5u$1@gioia.aioe.org> <ABe*JVfEy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
<srrraq$1qgn$1@gioia.aioe.org> <stbqhb$tbc$1@dont-email.me>
<stbqpi$u4m$1@gioia.aioe.org> <stbuhj$tv9$1@dont-email.me>
<stc6gd$to6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <stdmaq$1nn$1@dont-email.me>
<stdr4h$1un0$1@gioia.aioe.org> <J7i*H1RFy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
 by: Raj Kundra - Sat, 5 Feb 2022 12:54 UTC

On 02/02/2022 21:20, Theo wrote:
> SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:
>> Ah, you're running adblock at device level.
>>
>> My DNS, Pi Hole and Wireguard is running at network level so all mobile
>> phones, tablets and media players like Roku are protected
>>
>> It means less maintance as I only have to work at one machine rather
>> than on every device. Some devices resist installation of adguard or
>> similar.
>>
> For your travelling situation, how about a laptop of your own, an LTE card
> (no reliance on others' network), and running Pi-Hole in Docker on the
> laptop. That does everything in a one-box solution, with no external
> dependencies.
>
> You can plugin external display/keyboard/mouse if you want a 'desktop'
> experience, and use wifi at home/in a coffee shop/when staying somewhere you
> can find out the password.
>
> A lot of business laptops have a WWAN slot for an internal LTE card, you'd
> just need a SIM card for data.
>
> Theo

Obstacle: That involves spending money on a laptop and then paying for
data use :-))