The person who can smile when something goes wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Interent Banking

SubjectAuthor
* Interent BankingJeff Gaines
+* Re: Interent BankingJack Harry Teesdale
|+* Re: Interent BankingIndy Jess John
||+* Re: Interent BankingAndrew
|||`* Re: Interent BankingIndy Jess John
||| `* Re: Interent BankingRJH
|||  `* Re: Interent BankingChris
|||   `- Re: Interent BankingAdrian Caspersz
||+- Re: Interent BankingAndy Burns
||`- Re: Interent Bankingnewshound
|`* Re: Interent BankingChris
| `- Re: Interent BankingIndy Jess John
+- Re: Interent BankingAdrian Caspersz
+* Re: Interent BankingAbandoned_Trolley
|`* Re: Interent BankingDaniel James
| `* Re: Interent BankingAbandoned_Trolley
|  `* Re: Interent BankingAndrew
|   `- Re: Interent BankingAbandoned_Trolley
`* Re: Interent BankingJeff Gaines
 +* Re: Interent BankingVir Campestris
 |`* Re: Interent BankingJeff Gaines
 | `* Re: Interent BankingThe safest gaven
 |  `* Re: Interent Bankingnewshound
 |   `- Re: Interent BankingJeff Gaines
 `- Re: Interent BankingMike Halmarack

1
Interent Banking

<xn0ndwxik8matsd00g@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1890&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1890

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Interent Banking
Date: 9 Feb 2022 11:21:25 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 11:21 UTC

Cross posted to uk.comp.homebuilt and uk.people.silversurfers as I have
raised this in both groups.

I ran into a "GSA" error when trying to log on to Internet banking and the
usual stuff like trying to clear cache etc. didn't work. I 'phoned the
bank and the chap was very good, took me though cache clearing on two PCs
and my Mac Mini, three browsers on the PCs just Safari on the Mac. Made no
progress at all so after half an hour he said he'd have to escalate it to
IT. I said OK, could he just check a payment I had made recently as the
supplier couldn't trace it. He said OK, short pause then "your Internet
banking has been suspended by our fraud department". Apparently there was
a mismatch between account number and name in a recent online payment and
although I said proceed anyway their system didn't like it.

Anyway he said he would transfer me to the fraud department and I ended up
trying to speak to a lady with a strong Indian accent who I could hardly
understand and who kept complaining of a bad line. Very domineering as
well, she was going to read her script and if I tried to answer before she
had read it she asked me to let her finish. Once she had finished she
asked for an answer by which time I had no idea what the question was!
Reminded me very much of the Marigold Hotel call centre, definitely needed
a Judy Dench.

Once we had completed the script between us she said the transaction would
be subject to further automated fraud checks before the system decided
whether or not to make the payment and reinstate my Internet banking. I
asked if the bank would let me know and she said I would have to log on to
Internet banking to check. I said what if it's still suspended, she said
you won't be able to log on and will have to visit your branch with photo
ID. I tried to point out there weren't that many branches nowadays but the
answer to that wasn't on her script.

It was for £377.50 and I don't know whether or not it will go through or
if I have access to Internet banking unless I keep trying to log on. Ain't
modern technology wonderful.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.

Re: Interent Banking

<su0e3g$qhs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1891&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1891

From: noreply4...@yahoo.co.uk (Jack Harry Teesdale)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: Interent Banking
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 13:03:40 +0000
 by: Jack Harry Teesdale - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 13:03 UTC

On 09/02/2022 11:21, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Cross posted to uk.comp.homebuilt and uk.people.silversurfers as I have
> raised this in both groups.
>
> I ran into a "GSA" error when trying to log on to Internet banking and
> the usual stuff like trying to clear cache etc. didn't work. I 'phoned
> the bank and the chap was very good, took me though cache clearing on
> two PCs and my Mac Mini, three browsers on the PCs just Safari on the
> Mac. Made no progress at all so after half an hour he said he'd have to
> escalate it to IT. I said OK, could he just check a payment I had made
> recently as the supplier couldn't trace it. He said OK, short pause then
> "your Internet banking has been suspended by our fraud department".
> Apparently there was a mismatch between account number and name in a
> recent online payment and although I said proceed anyway their system
> didn't like it.
>
> Anyway he said he would transfer me to the fraud department and I ended
> up trying to speak to a lady with a strong Indian accent who I could
> hardly understand and who kept complaining of a bad line. Very
> domineering as well, she was going to read her script and if I tried to
> answer before she had read it she asked me to let her finish. Once she
> had finished she asked for an answer by which time I had no idea what
> the question was! Reminded me very much of the Marigold Hotel call
> centre, definitely needed a Judy Dench.
>
> Once we had completed the script between us she said the transaction
> would be subject to further automated fraud checks before the system
> decided whether or not to make the payment and reinstate my Internet
> banking. I asked if the bank would let me know and she said I would have
> to log on to Internet banking to check. I said what if it's still
> suspended, she said you won't be able to log on and will have to visit
> your branch with photo ID. I tried to point out there weren't that many
> branches nowadays but the answer to that wasn't on her script.
>
> It was for £377.50 and I don't know whether or not it will go through or
> if I have access to Internet banking unless I keep trying to log on.
> Ain't modern technology wonderful.

ISTM that you need to change your bank, i had the same troubles so
switched to a more accomodating bank.

Re: Interent Banking

<su0hkl$hmk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1892&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1892

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 14:04:05 +0000
 by: Indy Jess John - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 14:04 UTC

On 09/02/2022 13:03, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
> On 09/02/2022 11:21, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>> Once we had completed the script between us she said the transaction
>> would be subject to further automated fraud checks before the system
>> decided whether or not to make the payment and reinstate my Internet
>> banking. I asked if the bank would let me know and she said I would have
>> to log on to Internet banking to check. I said what if it's still
>> suspended, she said you won't be able to log on and will have to visit
>> your branch with photo ID. I tried to point out there weren't that many
>> branches nowadays but the answer to that wasn't on her script.
>>
>> It was for £377.50 and I don't know whether or not it will go through or
>> if I have access to Internet banking unless I keep trying to log on.
>> Ain't modern technology wonderful.
>>

> ISTM that you need to change your bank, I had the same troubles so
> switched to a more accommodating bank.

That would be my advice too.
I suggest you set up a new account with your chosen alternative rather
than trying to transfer what might be a suspended account. Then in
slower time you can give your organisations who transfer into your
account the new bank details, and then recreate your Payee's list and
then set up revisions to Standing Orders and Direct Debits. Eventually
you can transfer over any credit sum and close your old account. If you
can't do that online you could write a cheque drawing on the old account
and pay it into the new one.

That way you don't end up with a black hole where your current bank
thinks your account is closed and your new bank rejects the transfer of
a frozen account.

You don't say who your bank is, but it sounds a bit like Santander,
which proved to be a nightmare for my sister when she was the executor
of the will when someone died.
I have never had a problem with NatWest or Nationwide, though Nationwide
gives a small amount of interest on credit balances and NatWest doesn't.

Jim

Re: Interent Banking

<j6idr3Fj107U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1893&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1893

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 18:01:06 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 18:01 UTC

On 09/02/2022 11:21, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Cross posted to uk.comp.homebuilt and uk.people.silversurfers as I have
> raised this in both groups.
>
> I ran into a "GSA" error when trying to log on to Internet banking and
> the usual stuff like trying to clear cache etc. didn't work. I 'phoned
> the bank and the chap was very good, took me though cache clearing on
> two PCs and my Mac Mini, three browsers on the PCs just Safari on the
> Mac. Made no progress at all

I'm wondering if you were really talking to your bank, and not some
scammers?

Are you going to the right URL?

Don't use google!

--
Adrian C

Re: Interent Banking

<su11qd$8td$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1894&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1894

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 18:40:11 +0000
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 18:40 UTC

On 09/02/2022 11:21, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Cross posted to uk.comp.homebuilt and uk.people.silversurfers as I have
> raised this in both groups.
>
> I ran into a "GSA" error when trying to log on to Internet banking and
> the usual stuff like trying to clear cache etc. didn't work. I 'phoned
> the bank and the chap was very good, took me though cache clearing on
> two PCs and my Mac Mini, three browsers on the PCs just Safari on the
> Mac. Made no progress at all so after half an hour he said he'd have to
> escalate it to IT. I said OK, could he just check a payment I had made
> recently as the supplier couldn't trace it. He said OK, short pause then
> "your Internet banking has been suspended by our fraud department".
> Apparently there was a mismatch between account number and name in a
> recent online payment and although I said proceed anyway their system
> didn't like it.
>
> Anyway he said he would transfer me to the fraud department and I ended
> up trying to speak to a lady with a strong Indian accent who I could
> hardly understand and who kept complaining of a bad line. Very
> domineering as well, she was going to read her script and if I tried to
> answer before she had read it she asked me to let her finish. Once she
> had finished she asked for an answer by which time I had no idea what
> the question was! Reminded me very much of the Marigold Hotel call
> centre, definitely needed a Judy Dench.
>
> Once we had completed the script between us she said the transaction
> would be subject to further automated fraud checks before the system
> decided whether or not to make the payment and reinstate my Internet
> banking. I asked if the bank would let me know and she said I would have
> to log on to Internet banking to check. I said what if it's still
> suspended, she said you won't be able to log on and will have to visit
> your branch with photo ID. I tried to point out there weren't that many
> branches nowadays but the answer to that wasn't on her script.
>
> It was for £377.50 and I don't know whether or not it will go through or
> if I have access to Internet banking unless I keep trying to log on.
> Ain't modern technology wonderful.

I have a slightly different approach to internet banking, and I avoid
all the cache problems (and a few other problems) by using a cloned
virtual machine.

If you are "blessed" with either the VMWare player or VirtualBox then
you can do the same thing.

Basically, I create a virtual machine and install some operating system
on it, along with the latest version of whichever browser I fancy. In my
case its the latest version of Ubuntu, and the latest update of Firefox.
And then ... I DO NOT USE IT for anything.

I simply create a clone of that machine, and when I wish to log on to an
internet banking session, I fire up the clone and tap away. When I am
done, I log off, and delete the clone. While I am tapping away, I get
the host to create the next clone for me to use.

It might sound like a bit of a faff, but it takes less than 2 minutes to
creat a clone.

No virtual machine is ever used for more than one banking session, so
theres nothing in any cache to do any harm to anything. I never use a
laptop or any wireless connection for any internet banking, and never
use any banking apps on any mobile device.

I have a seperate email address which I have only ever issued to the
bank, and incoming email from them is diverted to my gmail account so
that they can contact me at any time.

I have never given them my telephone number, and never had anything to
do with any telephone banking

So, any telephone call, text or email incoming on "normal" channels is
obviously a scam which can be safely ignored.

I use one of those PIN Sentry devices when I need "enhanced security"
which I used recently top open a second account.

This might all sound like a severe case of paranoia, but it seems to
work OK for me.

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Interent Banking

<su15ik$527$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1895&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1895

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 19:44:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:tkJiFDxo4W9BL8qHKSAYvu56dYs=
 by: Chris - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 19:44 UTC

Jack Harry Teesdale <noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 09/02/2022 11:21, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>> Cross posted to uk.comp.homebuilt and uk.people.silversurfers as I have
>> raised this in both groups.
>>
>> I ran into a "GSA" error when trying to log on to Internet banking and
>> the usual stuff like trying to clear cache etc. didn't work. I 'phoned
>> the bank and the chap was very good, took me though cache clearing on
>> two PCs and my Mac Mini, three browsers on the PCs just Safari on the
>> Mac. Made no progress at all so after half an hour he said he'd have to
>> escalate it to IT. I said OK, could he just check a payment I had made
>> recently as the supplier couldn't trace it. He said OK, short pause then
>> "your Internet banking has been suspended by our fraud department".
>> Apparently there was a mismatch between account number and name in a
>> recent online payment and although I said proceed anyway their system
>> didn't like it.
>>
>> Anyway he said he would transfer me to the fraud department and I ended
>> up trying to speak to a lady with a strong Indian accent who I could
>> hardly understand and who kept complaining of a bad line. Very
>> domineering as well, she was going to read her script and if I tried to
>> answer before she had read it she asked me to let her finish. Once she
>> had finished she asked for an answer by which time I had no idea what
>> the question was! Reminded me very much of the Marigold Hotel call
>> centre, definitely needed a Judy Dench.
>>
>> Once we had completed the script between us she said the transaction
>> would be subject to further automated fraud checks before the system
>> decided whether or not to make the payment and reinstate my Internet
>> banking. I asked if the bank would let me know and she said I would have
>> to log on to Internet banking to check. I said what if it's still
>> suspended, she said you won't be able to log on and will have to visit
>> your branch with photo ID. I tried to point out there weren't that many
>> branches nowadays but the answer to that wasn't on her script.
>>
>> It was for £377.50 and I don't know whether or not it will go through or
>> if I have access to Internet banking unless I keep trying to log on.
>> Ain't modern technology wonderful.
>>

> ISTM that you need to change your bank, i had the same troubles so
> switched to a more accomodating bank.

I don't think that'll work. I've been getting emails from banks telling me
things are getting stricter due to "regulations". It's only going to get
worse.

Re: Interent Banking

<su16hp$au6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1896&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1896

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 20:00:57 +0000
 by: Indy Jess John - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 20:00 UTC

On 09/02/2022 19:44, Chris wrote:
> Jack Harry Teesdale<noreply492000-medic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>> ISTM that you need to change your bank, i had the same troubles so
>> switched to a more accomodating bank.
>
> I don't think that'll work. I've been getting emails from banks telling me
> things are getting stricter due to "regulations". It's only going to get
> worse.

Stricter, yes, but that doesn't mean identical approaches.

Jim

Re: Interent Banking

<su1bep$17kt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1897&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1897

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 21:24:41 +0000
 by: Andrew - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 21:24 UTC

On 09/02/2022 14:04, Indy Jess John wrote:

> I have never had a problem with NatWest or Nationwide, though Nationwide
> gives a small amount of interest on credit balances and NatWest doesn't.
>
> Jim

Have you not heard of the debacle with Nationwide current accounts
around Xmas time ?. It was taking 2 days for them to process that days
standing orders, direct debits and other payments coming through BACS.

People were making online payments, notice=ing that the payment had
not been made so they did it again and then got debitted twice a
couple of days later.

I have been with my bank since 1971 and they have never made any
mistakes with me (so far).

Re: Interent Banking

<su1e30$528$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1898&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1898

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 22:09:35 +0000
 by: Indy Jess John - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 22:09 UTC

On 09/02/2022 21:24, Andrew wrote:
> On 09/02/2022 14:04, Indy Jess John wrote:
>
>> I have never had a problem with NatWest or Nationwide, though Nationwide
>> gives a small amount of interest on credit balances and NatWest doesn't.
>>
>> Jim
>
> Have you not heard of the debacle with Nationwide current accounts
> around Xmas time ?. It was taking 2 days for them to process that days
> standing orders, direct debits and other payments coming through BACS.

I missed that problem, I wasn't making payments at that time.

Perhaps because it didn't affect me, I didn't remember it.

Jim

Re: Interent Banking

<j6k85pFtdqoU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1899&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1899

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:36:40 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:36 UTC

Indy Jess John wrote:
> You don't say who your bank is, but it sounds a bit like Santander
It could be HSBC

<https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/59/590x/secondary/HSBC-Down-951032.jpg?r=1546958996918>

Re: Interent Banking

<su2qpn$88h$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1900&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1900

From: sradclif...@gmail.com (newshound)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:52:39 +0000
 by: newshound - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:52 UTC

On 09/02/2022 14:04, Indy Jess John wrote:
> On 09/02/2022 13:03, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
>> On 09/02/2022 11:21, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>>
>>> Once we had completed the script between us she said the transaction
>>> would be subject to further automated fraud checks before the system
>>> decided whether or not to make the payment and reinstate my Internet
>>> banking. I asked if the bank would let me know and she said I would have
>>> to log on to Internet banking to check. I said what if it's still
>>> suspended, she said you won't be able to log on and will have to visit
>>> your branch with photo ID. I tried to point out there weren't that many
>>> branches nowadays but the answer to that wasn't on her script.
>>>
>>> It was for £377.50 and I don't know whether or not it will go through or
>>> if I have access to Internet banking unless I keep trying to log on.
>>> Ain't modern technology wonderful.
>>>

>> ISTM that you need to change your bank, I had the same troubles so
>> switched to a more accommodating bank.
>
> That would be my advice too.
> I suggest you set up a new account with your chosen alternative rather
> than trying to transfer what might be a suspended account.  Then in
> slower time you can give your organisations who transfer into your
> account the new bank details, and then recreate your Payee's list and
> then set up revisions to Standing Orders and Direct Debits.  Eventually
> you can transfer over any credit sum and close your old account. If you
> can't do that online you could write a cheque drawing on the old account
> and pay it into the new one.
>
> That way you don't end up with a black hole where your current bank
> thinks your account is closed and your new bank rejects the transfer of
> a frozen account.
>
> You don't say who your bank is, but it sounds a bit like Santander,
> which proved to be a nightmare for my sister when she was the executor
> of the will when someone died.
> I have never had a problem with NatWest or Nationwide, though Nationwide
> gives a small amount of interest on credit balances and NatWest doesn't.
>
> Jim

I suspect all banks have got a bit more cautious partly because
fraudsters are getting smarter and partly because they have less
"wriggle room" than they used to have.

I recently changed to Nationwide (when Tesco gave up) and had a somewhat
comparable issue which they managed spectacularly badly.

Re: Interent Banking

<su2sj2$q0t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1901&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1901

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 11:23:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 11:23 UTC

On 9 Feb 2022 at 22:09:35 GMT, "Indy Jess John"
<bathwatchdog@OMITTHISgooglemail.com> wrote:

> On 09/02/2022 21:24, Andrew wrote:
>> On 09/02/2022 14:04, Indy Jess John wrote:
>>
>>> I have never had a problem with NatWest or Nationwide, though Nationwide
>>> gives a small amount of interest on credit balances and NatWest doesn't.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>
>> Have you not heard of the debacle with Nationwide current accounts
>> around Xmas time ?. It was taking 2 days for them to process that days
>> standing orders, direct debits and other payments coming through BACS.
>
> I missed that problem, I wasn't making payments at that time.
>
> Perhaps because it didn't affect me, I didn't remember it.

+1 - I've found Nationwide to be pretty decent in the 10 or so years since I
dumped NatWest.

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Interent Banking

<xn0ndyce027rpi000@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1902&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1902

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 10 Feb 2022 11:33:51 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 11:33 UTC

On 09/02/2022 in message <xn0ndwxik8matsd00g@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>It was for £377.50 and I don't know whether or not it will go through or
>if I have access to Internet banking unless I keep trying to log on. Ain't
>modern technology wonderful.

Just to wrap this up I have been locked out of online banking and now have
to visit a branch to get unlocked. Should be fun as my driving licence has
my old address on it :-(

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap

Re: Interent Banking

<VA.00000da3.001d827e@me.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1903&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1903

From: dan...@me.invalid (Daniel James)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 17:52:06 -0000
 by: Daniel James - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 17:52 UTC

In article <su11qd$8td$1@dont-email.me>, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:
> Basically, I create a virtual machine and install some operating
> system on it, along with the latest version of whichever browser
> I fancy. In my case its the latest version of Ubuntu, and the
> latest update of Firefox. And then ... I DO NOT USE IT for anything.
>
> I simply create a clone of that machine, and when I wish to log on
> to an internet banking session, I fire up the clone and tap away.
> When I am done, I log off, and delete the clone.

Cloning the VM sounds like more effort than you need to go to ...
depending on the VM software you are using, of course.

I have done similar things by using a VM, but creating a snapshot
before doing whatever online thing I think may be risky, and restoring
to that snapshot immediately afterwards.

It pays to update the VM and redo the snapshot periodically.

--
Cheers,
Daniel.

Re: Interent Banking

<su3n06$rab$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1905&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1905

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 18:53:58 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:wLrMRd6U17lDtFjzFw8IlrrpCsE=
 by: Chris - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 18:53 UTC

RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 9 Feb 2022 at 22:09:35 GMT, "Indy Jess John"
> <bathwatchdog@OMITTHISgooglemail.com> wrote:

>>> Have you not heard of the debacle with Nationwide current accounts
>>> around Xmas time ?. It was taking 2 days for them to process that days
>>> standing orders, direct debits and other payments coming through BACS.
>>
>> I missed that problem, I wasn't making payments at that time.
>>
>> Perhaps because it didn't affect me, I didn't remember it.
>>

> +1 - I've found Nationwide to be pretty decent in the 10 or so years since I
> dumped NatWest.

Sadly they all have their problems. So the only solution is to have more
than one. It also allows you to get the sign-on bonuses with less
disruption.

Re: Interent Banking

<su4094$t49$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1906&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1906

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 21:32:20 +0000
 by: Vir Campestris - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 21:32 UTC

On 10/02/2022 11:33, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> Should be fun as my driving licence has my old address on it

<cough> Mr Plod will be cross with you.

<https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/drivers-licence-fine/>

"Motorists are being warned that failing to update the details on their
driving licence could result in as much as a £1,000 fine."

I suggest you sort that out!

Andy

Re: Interent Banking

<xn0ndyu05q4jx1002@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1907&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1907

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 10 Feb 2022 22:43:12 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 22:43 UTC

On 10/02/2022 in message <su4094$t49$2@dont-email.me> Vir Campestris wrote:

>On 10/02/2022 11:33, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>Should be fun as my driving licence has my old address on it
>
><cough> Mr Plod will be cross with you.
>
><https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/drivers-licence-fine/>
>
>"Motorists are being warned that failing to update the details on their
>driving licence could result in as much as a £1,000 fine."
>
>I suggest you sort that out!
>
>Andy

Thanks but both addresses are valid and it took seven months to get a new
licence - applied for last July, arrived late January - and I don't want
to be without any form of 'photo ID for another seven months. I may wait
until Red Robbo retires and the DVLA starts to work normally again!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Though no-one can go back and make a new start, everyone can start from

Re: Interent Banking

<su46kh$dp9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1908&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1908

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 23:20:48 +0000
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 23:20 UTC

> Cloning the VM sounds like more effort than you need to go to ...
> depending on the VM software you are using, of course.
>
> I have done similar things by using a VM, but creating a snapshot
> before doing whatever online thing I think may be risky, and restoring
> to that snapshot immediately afterwards.
>
> It pays to update the VM and redo the snapshot periodically.

cloning the VM is hardly any effort at all with Virtualbox - just a
couple of clicks and I leave it to get on with the task which, as I said
take less than 2 minutes.

I periodically fire up the template VM and leave it to to run for a
while, and it will then come up with some OS updates which I download
and apply

Anyway, the fundamental principle is that (free) VM technology can
provide you with a disposable machine which can be used for secure
transactions without any risk from cookies or other tracking software

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Interent Banking

<su58ob$ktr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1909&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1909

From: andrew_d...@hotmail.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 09:03:07 +0000
 by: Andrew - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 09:03 UTC

On 10/02/2022 23:20, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:

> cloning the VM is hardly any effort at all with Virtualbox - just a
> couple of clicks and I leave it to get on with the task which, as I said
> take less than 2 minutes.
>
> I periodically fire up the template VM and leave it to to run for a
> while, and it will then come up with some OS updates which I download
> and apply
>
> Anyway, the fundamental principle is that (free) VM technology can
> provide you with a disposable machine which can be used for secure
> transactions without any risk from cookies or other tracking software

Would it be easier to create an immutable disk? Fire it up - perform a
transaction - shut it down. Next time it is back where it started.

Re: Interent Banking

<su5abe$v46$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1910&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1910

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 09:30:21 +0000
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 09:30 UTC

> Would it be easier to create an immutable disk? Fire it up - perform a
> transaction - shut it down. Next time it is back where it started.

Quite possibly, but if you think about it, thats not far off the
solution which I have at the moment.

The current arrangement works fine and costs nothing - and I dont mind
wasting 3 mouse clicks and a couple of keystrokes to create the clones.

Its unusual for me to do any internet banking more than a couple of
times a month so its not as if its a major hassle, and in any case I use
VirtualBox every day for other stuff.

"Anyway, the fundamental principle ...... "

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Interent Banking

<j6n08hFf0khU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1911&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1911

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 11:40:01 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Fri, 11 Feb 2022 11:40 UTC

On 10/02/2022 18:53, Chris wrote:

> Sadly they all have their problems. So the only solution is to have more
> than one. It also allows you to get the sign-on bonuses with less
> disruption.

Agreed.

Have one account that receives ya incoming and pays important bills. Do
not put Amazon or PayPal on there!

And another account (or another bank) that ye use for day to day things
using debit cards, and online.

Two accounts is good resilience.

Transfer just enough money as necessary to keep the second funded. It
helps budgeting, and stops anyone unknown (or ye on a whim!) dipping
seriously into the primary.

Bonuses (sign-on, cashback, round up saving etc...) are good with some
online banks that can be used like this, as a secondary.

--
Adrian C

Re: Interent Banking

<acnu0hp3kouh2fb19cr04g486b0mlpekpq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1921&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1921

From: mikehalm...@gmail.com (Mike Halmarack)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 08:55:12 +0000
 by: Mike Halmarack - Fri, 18 Feb 2022 08:55 UTC

On 10 Feb 2022 11:33:51 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
<jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>On 09/02/2022 in message <xn0ndwxik8matsd00g@news.individual.net> Jeff
>Gaines wrote:
>
>>It was for £377.50 and I don't know whether or not it will go through or
>>if I have access to Internet banking unless I keep trying to log on. Ain't
>>modern technology wonderful.
>
>Just to wrap this up I have been locked out of online banking and now have
>to visit a branch to get unlocked. Should be fun as my driving licence has
>my old address on it :-(

Seems to be a race between banks and scammers/hackers. Customers
hardly stand a chance. Doesn't just go for banks either.
It's becoming an obstacle course just trying to log into Tescos.
How human endeavour is defeated by human endeavour.
--

Mike

Re: Interent Banking

<t04gsg$gkv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1979&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1979

From: s...@v.info (The safest gaven)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 08:48:15 -0000
 by: The safest gaven - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 08:48 UTC

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message

On 10/02/2022 in message <su4094$t49$2@dont-email.me> Vir Campestris wrote:

>On 10/02/2022 11:33, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>Should be fun as my driving licence has my old address on it
>
><cough> Mr Plod will be cross with you.
>
><https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/drivers-licence-fine/>
>
>"Motorists are being warned that failing to update the details on their
>driving licence could result in as much as a £1,000 fine."
>
>I suggest you sort that out!
>
>Andy

Thanks but both addresses are valid and it took seven months to get a new
licence - applied for last July, arrived late January - and I don't want
to be without any form of 'photo ID for another seven months. I may wait
until Red Robbo retires and the DVLA starts to work normally again!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Though no-one can go back and make a new start, everyone can start from
now and make a new ending.

--

While on the subject of banks and security the Bank of Scotland didn't find
this to be "suspicious activity"

When I asked them their answer was "security checks passed ok on the 1st
just eat order"

Says everything eh?

https://www.thebathers.com/phpBB3/justeat.JPG

Re: Interent Banking

<t0f9sf$tem$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2003&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2003

From: sradclif...@gmail.com (newshound)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 10:56:15 +0000
 by: newshound - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 10:56 UTC

On 07/03/2022 08:48, The safest gaven wrote:

> "Jeff Gaines"  wrote in message
>
> On 10/02/2022 in message <su4094$t49$2@dont-email.me> Vir Campestris wrote:
>
>> On 10/02/2022 11:33, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>> Should be fun as my driving licence has my old address on it
>>
>> <cough> Mr Plod will be cross with you.
>>
>> <https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/drivers-licence-fine/>
>>
>> "Motorists are being warned that failing to update the details on
>> their driving licence could result in as much as a £1,000 fine."
>>
>> I suggest you sort that out!
>>
>> Andy
>
> Thanks but both addresses are valid and it took seven months to get a new
> licence - applied for last July, arrived late January - and I don't want
> to be without any form of 'photo ID for another seven months. I may wait
> until Red Robbo retires and the DVLA starts to work normally again!

I was a bit nervous about "sending back my expired license" as requested
when applying for my new 3 yearly one but fair play to DVLA, the
replacement only took a couple of days.

Re: Interent Banking

<xn0nf8omx135x5t002@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2005&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2005

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 11 Mar 2022 11:13:51 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 11:13 UTC

On 11/03/2022 in message <t0f9sf$tem$2@dont-email.me> newshound wrote:

>>Thanks but both addresses are valid and it took seven months to get a new
>>licence - applied for last July, arrived late January - and I don't want
>>to be without any form of 'photo ID for another seven months. I may wait
>>until Red Robbo retires and the DVLA starts to work normally again!
>>

>I was a bit nervous about "sending back my expired license" as requested
>when applying for my new 3 yearly one but fair play to DVLA, the
>replacement only took a couple of days.

Others have said it is quick IF you have a passport, I don't.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Have you ever noticed that all the instruments searching for intelligent