From: me...@privacy.net.co.uk (Primrose)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Chamaerops humilis
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 10:50:09 +0100
 by: Primrose - Sun, 15 May 2022 09:50 UTC

Can anyone offer me any advice please.

My Chamaerops humilis has grown wild since I planted it out from it's
pot 14 years ago.

There are four or five *babies* also growing in the soil.

As the palm is taking up the garden we have had to prune some of the
palm leaves.

Can we lift up the babies and re-pot them?

I don't know how big the roots are and whether or not they will be
attached to the main palm, some sites say that the babies very rarely take.
--
I'm a sew and sow.

Re: Chamaerops humilis

<48q18h9obapd2guqd1bng3f3icq2l0vhcb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1879&group=uk.rec.gardening#1879

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Chamaerops humilis
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 13:02:12 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Sun, 15 May 2022 12:02 UTC

On Sun, 15 May 2022 10:50:09 +0100, Primrose <me@privacy.net.co.uk>
wrote:

>Can anyone offer me any advice please.
>
>My Chamaerops humilis has grown wild since I planted it out from it's
>pot 14 years ago.
>
>There are four or five *babies* also growing in the soil.
>
>As the palm is taking up the garden we have had to prune some of the
>palm leaves.
>
>Can we lift up the babies and re-pot them?
>
>I don't know how big the roots are and whether or not they will be
>attached to the main palm, some sites say that the babies very rarely take.

The RHS web-site says it can be propagated by suckers, which I assume
is what yours are. https://tinyurl.com/y63wl24q and scroll down a bit.

When trying to move anything that is a sucker, the first thing I do is
sever it from the parent plant by ramming a sharp spade straight down,
roughly half-way between the parent and the sucker, to sever any
attachment of the latter to the former. Then I water them both well
and walk away, and leave it for several months to recover and settle
down. After that I'd dig it up with as much of the root ball intact as
possible before transplanting it to its new site or potting it up.

Whether that's appropriate for your Chamaerops, and whether it will
work, there's only one way to find out! Perhaps don't try it on all of
them straight away, just one or two.

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Chamaerops humilis

<t5t0fp$1kee$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1884&group=uk.rec.gardening#1884

From: me...@privacy.net.co.uk (Primrose)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 09:03:03 +0100
 by: Primrose - Mon, 16 May 2022 08:03 UTC

On 15/05/2022 13:02, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2022 10:50:09 +0100, Primrose <me@privacy.net.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone offer me any advice please.
>>
>> My Chamaerops humilis has grown wild since I planted it out from it's
>> pot 14 years ago.

<snipped but read>

>> Can we lift up the babies and re-pot them?
>>
>> I don't know how big the roots are and whether or not they will be
>> attached to the main palm, some sites say that the babies very rarely take.
>
> The RHS web-site says it can be propagated by suckers, which I assume
> is what yours are. https://tinyurl.com/y63wl24q and scroll down a bit.
>
> When trying to move anything that is a sucker, the first thing I do is
> sever it from the parent plant by ramming a sharp spade straight down,
> roughly half-way between the parent and the sucker, to sever any
> attachment of the latter to the former. Then I water them both well
> and walk away, and leave it for several months to recover and settle
> down. After that I'd dig it up with as much of the root ball intact as
> possible before transplanting it to its new site or potting it up.
>
> Whether that's appropriate for your Chamaerops, and whether it will
> work, there's only one way to find out! Perhaps don't try it on all of
> them straight away, just one or two.

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm not sure if there are suckers
or seed pods which have germinated over time.

It doesn't seem to be a *dwarf* palm though.

We'll try your suggestion on the smaller *baby* and see how it goes.

I've actually got some colleagues who are desperate for a palm tree.

--
I'm a sew and sow.

Re: Chamaerops humilis

<t638d8$5hs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1901&group=uk.rec.gardening#1901

From: char...@roselandhouse.co.uk (Charlie Pridham)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 17:55:03 +0100
 by: Charlie Pridham - Wed, 18 May 2022 16:55 UTC

On 16/05/2022 09:03, Primrose wrote:
> On 15/05/2022 13:02, Chris Hogg wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 May 2022 10:50:09 +0100, Primrose <me@privacy.net.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Can anyone offer me any advice please.
>>>
>>> My Chamaerops humilis has grown wild since I planted it out from it's
>>> pot 14 years ago.
>>>
> <snipped but read>
>
>>> Can we lift up the babies and re-pot them?
>>>
>>> I don't know how big the roots are and whether or not they will be
>>> attached to the main palm, some sites say that the babies very rarely
>>> take.
>>
>> The RHS web-site says it can be propagated by suckers, which I assume
>> is what yours are. https://tinyurl.com/y63wl24q and scroll down a bit.
>>
>> When trying to move anything that is a sucker, the first thing I do is
>> sever it from the parent plant by ramming a sharp spade straight down,
>> roughly half-way between the parent and the sucker, to sever any
>> attachment of the latter to the former. Then I water them both well
>> and walk away, and leave it for several months to recover and settle
>> down. After that I'd dig it up with as much of the root ball intact as
>> possible before transplanting it to its new site or potting it up.
>>
>> Whether that's appropriate for your Chamaerops, and whether it will
>> work, there's only one way to find out! Perhaps don't try it on all of
>> them straight away, just one or two.
>
> Thank you very much for your reply.  I'm not sure if there are suckers
> or seed pods which have germinated over time.
>
> It doesn't seem to be a *dwarf* palm though.
>
> We'll try your suggestion on the smaller *baby* and see how it goes.
>
> I've actually got some colleagues who are desperate for a  palm tree.

Unlikely to be seedlings as these palms are nearly always male or female
so unless there is another close by suckers are much more likely. (also
if seedlings you would have hundreds not just a few!)

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall