From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Hotpoles
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 10:49:54 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 10:49 UTC

Has anyone noticed that when driving about, pot holes are changing?
Now not being sighted I have to take sighed peoples views into account for
some of these.
1. The self healing paint surrounded pothole. Often also encountered on
footways, where a worker comes out and paints a pretty coloured line around
the hazard, and then it remains like that for ever. It should be obvious to
these guys bosses that their self healing paint is not working.
2 Temporary repairs after a digging up by a service, like water, gas etc.
This seems to be because as we all know, after you back fill a hole you have
soil left over, so they dig a shallow depression and put a lump of tar in
the hole and sort of latten it. This is done to get the road open fast and
to allow the soil to sink ready for the proper repair with cement and
asphalt. Trouble is, the latter part gets forgotten, and it eventually gets
so much punishment as it deepens and trucks drive over it that the original
fault reoccurs due to the vibration and it all dug up again.
3. Lets resurface the whole road.
They bring in a combined scraper and heating device that takes it all down
to the underlying concrete and then repair that where its damaged. They used
to check the drains at the side of the road were of the correct height for
the top layer. Not any more. Roads sometimes have huge dips where the drains
are, and in others the drains are so high after the job, no water ever goes
down them at all, and on footways, inspection covers turn into trip hazards
so they use a weeny bit of tar all around to make a slope, which falls off
in the next frost.
I cannot help but think that doing the job properly and not making the road
into a patchwork pattern would be more cost effective in the long run. The
problem is compounded by the fact that some authorities like the highways
agency or a metropolitan agency are doing some roads, but local councils are
responsible for others, and don't get me started on what is known as hot
boxing, where a square area is scraped where the surface is breaking up and
that tiny bit is repaired and sealed at the edges, which surprise surprise
results in the older surfaces around it breaking up and then they have to
start again.
Brian

--

--: