From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Germs?
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 11:00:10 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 11:00 UTC

At least one streaming service offers you a discount if you are willing
to watch adverts. (Also known as a premium service when you watch it ad
free).

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Germs?

<trg6ft$rqe7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19012&group=uk.rec.sheds#19012

From: newsforp...@yahoo.co.uk (nev young)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 11:23:41 +0000
 by: nev young - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 11:23 UTC

On 01/02/2023 14:18, John Williamson wrote:
> On 01/02/2023 14:07, Apd wrote:
>>>
>>> I have always misheard it as "Flash, spray wipe done".
>>
>> "Flash cleans floors fast, and noo messin'" (said by a woman with a
>> scottish accent).
>>
>> That was pre-remote control days. Now I'm fast enough with the mute
>> button that I never hear TV ads.
>>

> I usually use the remote to see if there's anything more interesting on
> than the programme I'm "watching" or to check the e-mail or other
> anti-social media.

Have you noticed that despite not being able to start and stop programs
at the times stated on the EPG, they do manage to sync adverts across
many channels so that as you hop you just see more ads. Arggh, and do
nae get me started on those bothersome streaming wotsits where you
cannae skip past the ads.

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse

Re: Germs?

<trg6nb$rqe7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19013&group=uk.rec.sheds#19013

From: newsforp...@yahoo.co.uk (nev young)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 11:27:39 +0000
 by: nev young - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 11:27 UTC

On 02/02/2023 02:27, Mike Fleming wrote:
> On 01/02/2023 14:07, Apd wrote:

> The only ones that
> penetrate are the incredibly irritating ones - the dreadful adaptation
> of "Delilah" and the new one with some prats dancing around singing "I
> sold my car with ********car" (product placement removed).

We now shout at the TV for the car sold ad that now they have to walk home.

As fer Delilah - it's been banned ya know!

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse
that so many people are unable to understand what I write.

Re: Germs?

<MPG.3e45b49dafabe2b989703@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19014&group=uk.rec.sheds#19014

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 11:53:41 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 11:53 UTC

In article <trg6nb$rqe7$2@dont-email.me>, newsforpasiphae1953
@yahoo.co.uk says...

> On 02/02/2023 02:27, Mike Fleming wrote:
> > On 01/02/2023 14:07, Apd wrote:
>
> > The only ones that
> > penetrate are the incredibly irritating ones - the dreadful adaptation
> > of "Delilah" and the new one with some prats dancing around singing "I
> > sold my car with ********car" (product placement removed).
> >
> We now shout at the TV for the car sold ad that now they have to walk home.
>
> As fer Delilah - it's been banned ya know!

Let's see how the Welsh rugby supporters respond to that.

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Germs?

<MPG.3e45b5593d3157f0989704@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19015&group=uk.rec.sheds#19015

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 11:56:49 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 11:56 UTC

In article <trg6ft$rqe7$1@dont-email.me>, newsforpasiphae1953
@yahoo.co.uk says...

> On 01/02/2023 14:18, John Williamson wrote:

> >> "Flash cleans floors fast, and noo messin'" (said by a woman with a
> >> scottish accent).
> >>
> >> That was pre-remote control days. Now I'm fast enough with the mute
> >> button that I never hear TV ads.
> >>

> > I usually use the remote to see if there's anything more interesting on
> > than the programme I'm "watching" or to check the e-mail or other
> > anti-social media.
> >
> Have you noticed that despite not being able to start and stop programs
> at the times stated on the EPG, they do manage to sync adverts across
> many channels so that as you hop you just see more ads. Arggh, and do
> nae get me started on those bothersome streaming wotsits where you
> cannae skip past the ads.

Me and her both have handsets with a mute button. It sometimes makes
interesting viewing when you don't know where one advert ends and the
next begins.

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Germs?

<20230202122604.3435ccd1b6532b0257854305@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19016&group=uk.rec.sheds#19016

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 12:26:04 +0000
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 12:26 UTC

On Thu, 2 Feb 2023 10:30:00 -0000
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> Its called Sif now which might be short for another one
>

> I always remember that Japanese canned drink called Bugga
> Brian

I've had a drink in the Buger Hof.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Germs?

<k4239eF7rgoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19018&group=uk.rec.sheds#19018

From: greym...@gmail.com (greymaus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 2 Feb 2023 15:30:55 GMT
 by: greymaus - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 15:30 UTC

On 2023-02-02, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> No they were using Brian Blessed and the theme for Flash Gordon, of course
> as he was in it dressed as a very fat angel.
>

> I cannot recall which, but there was another advert where its sounded like
> they were selling guns, due to the low level of the voice in the mix, and
> after a month or so that got fixed.
>

> Mind you listening to some of the old adverts we used to get, some of those
> are pretty squirmy now. The woman talking to her child while washing up with
> fairy liquid is one such.
> Then there is the one for Camey soap, deliberately showing as much shapely
> female leg of a girl in a bubble bath looking almost lustily at a bar of
> soap. I mean it was pretty naff. Even the soundtrack is full of music and
> sensual talk. I sort of thought, its only a bar of soap.
>
> The other ones that annoy me, and some of these still appear from time to
> time. the ones that say, its clinically proven while showing somebody in a
> lab coat. Toothpaste seems to be very common of these and always have been.
> There was an advert for something by JML the other day, which claimed it
> had a lifetime guarantee. It never said what particular lifetime they meant
> however.
>
> Brian

The ones that get me is the ones that say, "Kill 99% of household
germs." do they not realise how many billions of germs there are on
household surfaces, before you count in virus's.''

Bah, hunbug. leaving the clinic where I am checked to see if I am alive
every week, the nurse shook hands with me. It seemed so sexy. Perhaps
I will start recounting my history in that respect, like Tone.

Slow as shelde, cold as Don.

--
greymausg@mail.com
where is our money gone, Dude?

Re: Germs?

<k423bgF7rgoU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19019&group=uk.rec.sheds#19019

From: greym...@gmail.com (greymaus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 2 Feb 2023 15:32:01 GMT
 by: greymaus - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 15:32 UTC

On 2023-02-02, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, well, I'd have thought that a tv that disables mute for advert breaks
> might be sponsored a bit by all advertisers so it could be made the cheapest
> TV in the world. With digital, it would only need a few bits of code to do
> it. It might be annoying but maybe the cheap telly would be worth it. Brian

What is this TV you speak of?

--
greymausg@mail.com
where is our money gone, Dude?

Re: Germs?

<trh2eq$10vos$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19021&group=uk.rec.sheds#19021

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 19:20:58 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 19:20 UTC

On 02/02/2023 02:27, Mike Fleming wrote:
> On 01/02/2023 14:07, Apd wrote:
>>>
>>> I have always misheard it as "Flash, spray wipe done".
>>
>> "Flash cleans floors fast, and noo messin'" (said by a woman with a
>> scottish accent).
>>
>> That was pre-remote control days. Now I'm fast enough with the mute
>> button that I never hear TV ads.
>
> I don't normally hear TV ads anyway. SWMBO still hasn't realised that,
> after nearly twenty years together, and comments on adverts in the
> belief that I've actually paid any attention to them. The only ones that
> penetrate are the incredibly irritating ones - the dreadful adaptation
> of "Delilah" and the new one with some prats dancing around singing "I
> sold my car with ********car" (product placement removed).

I solved the promble around 1970 when a GF departed, followed in short
order by the telly I rented to stop her running home to parental pad to
watch her soaps, and have never had one since.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Germs?

<slrntto58l.d8bn.julian@n6are.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19023&group=uk.rec.sheds#19023

From: jul...@n6are.com (Julian Macassey)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 19:55:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Julian Macassey - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 19:55 UTC

On Thu, 2 Feb 2023 10:24:05 -0000, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mind you listening to some of the old adverts we used to get, some of those
> are pretty squirmy now. The woman talking to her child while washing up with
> fairy liquid is one such.

"Hands that do dishes can be as soft as your face".

> Then there is the one for Camey soap, deliberately showing as much shapely
> female leg of a girl in a bubble bath looking almost lustily at a bar of
> soap. I mean it was pretty naff. Even the soundtrack is full of music and
> sensual talk. I sort of thought, its only a bar of soap.

But the perfume in Camay was worth nine gueneas an
ounce!

--
"We see businesses that don't produce anything and run at an
astonishing loss valued in the billions of dollars." - Maciej

Re: Germs?

<20230202200613.5d0bb8833593a1bbe7215611@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19026&group=uk.rec.sheds#19026

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 20:06:13 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 20:06 UTC

On Thu, 2 Feb 2023 10:24:05 -0000
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mind you listening to some of the old adverts we used to get, some of
> those are pretty squirmy now. The woman talking to her child while
> washing up with fairy liquid is one such.

My father recounted the tale of a fancy dress party in the late
1940s to which one woman turned up dressed as the Fairy baby, films clearly
do not give the right impression of that era.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Germs?

<yKWCL.2597365$ulh3.118328@fx06.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19028&group=uk.rec.sheds#19028

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 22:24:30 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 22:24 UTC

On 02-Feb-23 19:55, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Feb 2023 10:24:05 -0000, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Mind you listening to some of the old adverts we used to get, some of those
>> are pretty squirmy now. The woman talking to her child while washing up with
>> fairy liquid is one such.
>
> "Hands that do dishes can be as soft as your face".
>
>> Then there is the one for Camey soap, deliberately showing as much shapely
>> female leg of a girl in a bubble bath looking almost lustily at a bar of
>> soap. I mean it was pretty naff. Even the soundtrack is full of music and
>> sensual talk. I sort of thought, its only a bar of soap.
>>

> But the perfume in Camay was worth nine gueneas an
> ounce!

In Camay? Jamais!

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Germs?

<9NWCL.2597366$ulh3.478033@fx06.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19029&group=uk.rec.sheds#19029

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 22:27:17 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 2 Feb 2023 22:27 UTC

On 02-Feb-23 11:56, Jim the Geordie wrote:
> In article <trg6ft$rqe7$1@dont-email.me>, newsforpasiphae1953
> @yahoo.co.uk says...

>>> I usually use the remote to see if there's anything more interesting on
>>> than the programme I'm "watching" or to check the e-mail or other
>>> anti-social media.
>>>
>> Have you noticed that despite not being able to start and stop programs
>> at the times stated on the EPG, they do manage to sync adverts across
>> many channels so that as you hop you just see more ads. Arggh, and do
>> nae get me started on those bothersome streaming wotsits where you
>> cannae skip past the ads.
>
> Me and her both have handsets with a mute button. It sometimes makes
> interesting viewing when you don't know where one advert ends and the
> next begins.

As long as you can tell when the advert stops and the programme resumes.

(Mind, if you can't readily tell, switch off.)

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Germs?

<k91WXVAvkF3jFAoU@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19030&group=uk.rec.sheds#19030

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 00:45:35 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 00:45 UTC

In article <slrntto58l.d8bn.julian@n6are.com>, Julian Macassey
<julian@n6are.com> on Thu, 2 Feb 2023 at 19:55:01 awoke Nicholas from
his slumbers and wrote
>On Thu, 2 Feb 2023 10:24:05 -0000, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Mind you listening to some of the old adverts we used to get, some of those
>> are pretty squirmy now. The woman talking to her child while washing up with
>> fairy liquid is one such.
>
> "Hands that do dishes can be as soft as your face".
>
>> Then there is the one for Camey soap, deliberately showing as much shapely
>> female leg of a girl in a bubble bath looking almost lustily at a bar of
>> soap. I mean it was pretty naff. Even the soundtrack is full of music and
>> sensual talk. I sort of thought, its only a bar of soap.
>>

> But the perfume in Camay was worth nine gueneas an
>ounce!

In the USA Ivory Fairy soap had a problem with their Fairy girl, Marilyn
Ann Briggs. The shit hit the fan for the advert when 'Beyond the Green
Door' was released starring Marilyn Chambers (aka Marilyn Ann Briggs).
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Germs?

<trigko$1aukl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19034&group=uk.rec.sheds#19034

From: newsforp...@yahoo.co.uk (nev young)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 08:29:12 +0000
 by: nev young - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 08:29 UTC

On 02/02/2023 15:30, greymaus wrote:

> The ones that get me is the ones that say, "Kill 99% of household
> germs." do they not realise how many billions of germs there are on
> household surfaces, before you count in virus's.''

That's a legal thing. If they said 100% and just one germ survived they
could get sued. So they give themselves wriggle room.

I get unduly wound up by the (so called) charity begging ads:
X zu could feed ...
x zu could house ...
x zu could save ...
x zu could help ...
x zu could prevent ...

It could but probably wont.
It'll no doubt be a cold day in hell before they say
x zu will ...

--
Nev
It causes me a great deal of regret and remorse
that so many people are unable to understand what I write.

Re: Germs?

<20230203094843.876e018875592eb35af16691@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19036&group=uk.rec.sheds#19036

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 09:48:43 +0000
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 09:48 UTC

On Thu, 2 Feb 2023 22:24:30 +0000
Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> On 02-Feb-23 19:55, Julian Macassey wrote:
> > On Thu, 2 Feb 2023 10:24:05 -0000, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Mind you listening to some of the old adverts we used to get, some of those
> >> are pretty squirmy now. The woman talking to her child while washing up with
> >> fairy liquid is one such.
> >
> > "Hands that do dishes can be as soft as your face".
> >
> >> Then there is the one for Camey soap, deliberately showing as much shapely
> >> female leg of a girl in a bubble bath looking almost lustily at a bar of
> >> soap. I mean it was pretty naff. Even the soundtrack is full of music and
> >> sensual talk. I sort of thought, its only a bar of soap.
> >>

> > But the perfume in Camay was worth nine gueneas an
> > ounce!
>
> In Camay? Jamais!

Knickers!

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Germs?

<20230203105219.5bff398d1d9c2427cf73ae85@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19040&group=uk.rec.sheds#19040

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 10:52:19 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 10:52 UTC

On Thu, 2 Feb 2023 19:55:01 -0000 (UTC)
Julian Macassey <julian@n6are.com> wrote:

> But the perfume in Camay was worth nine gueneas an
> ounce!

How many milligrams per bar ?

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Germs?

<k44a02Fi8m0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19043&group=uk.rec.sheds#19043

From: greym...@gmail.com (greymaus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 3 Feb 2023 11:37:38 GMT
 by: greymaus - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 11:37 UTC

On 2023-02-03, Kerr-Mudd, John <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Feb 2023 22:24:30 +0000
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>> > "Hands that do dishes can be as soft as your face".

>> > But the perfume in Camay was worth nine gueneas an
>> > ounce!
>>
>> In Camay? Jamais!
>>

> Knickers!

I remember a story of a man that had lay in hospital unconsious for some
hours, woke up, looked around, and uttered the first thing that entered his
head,

"Tights"

--
greymausg@mail.com
where is our money gone, Dude?

Re: Germs?

<trittl$1ecj6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19045&group=uk.rec.sheds#19045

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 12:15:48 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 12:15 UTC

On 03/02/2023 08:29, nev young wrote:
> On 02/02/2023 15:30, greymaus wrote:
>>
>> The ones that get me is the ones that say, "Kill 99% of household
>> germs." do they not realise how many billions of germs there  are on
>> household surfaces, before you count in virus's.''
>>
> That's a legal thing. If they said 100% and just one germ survived they
> could get sued. So they give themselves wriggle room.
>
> I get unduly wound up by the (so called) charity begging ads:
> X zu could feed ...
> x zu could house ...
> x zu could save ...
> x zu could help ...
> x zu could prevent ...
>
> It could but probably wont.
> It'll no doubt be a cold day in hell before they say
> x zu will ...

Dunno - I collect postage stamps for and sometimes slip the Lifeboat a
substantial contribution: my bro-in-lore, (with yacht and smallerer
sailing boat) used not to see the point of it, believing the thing that
holds itself aloft with wildly thrashing arms nearly always did the wbo
better - until it (the lifeboat, not the aerial windmill) rescued one of
his daughters (now a sturgeon) and her then boyfriend when their sailing
dinghy was dismasted and overturned in a nasty squall, and the whole
heap of wreckage plus two snailorer s were being swept out to sea on an
estuary ebbing (not of the Kraft variety) tide in fading light.

Though the crew turned-up their nostrils at savaging the flotsam, the in
sewer ants provided a trailer (IIRC), another pre-loved boat of the same
type and as a bonus, a Seagull outbored put-put-put-put.

He now supports the Lifeboat, 100%

--
Rusty Hinge

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Germs?