Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 11:54:45 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
From: mik...@mattishall.org.uk (Mike Rogers)
Subject: What pest?
 by: Mike Rogers - Sun, 15 May 2022 10:54 UTC

What could be eating the leaves of my gooseberry bush? The currants and
raspberries in the same cage haven’t been touched yet gooseberry has
hardly any leaves left!

Suggestions to saving the few leaves that are left?

Re: What pest?

<t5qobm$i32$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1878&group=uk.rec.gardening#1878

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: What pest?
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 12:32:05 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Sun, 15 May 2022 11:32 UTC

On 15/05/2022 11:54, Mike Rogers wrote:
> What could be eating the leaves of my gooseberry bush? The currants and
> raspberries in the same cage haven’t been touched yet gooseberry has
> hardly any leaves left!
>
> Suggestions to saving the few leaves that are left?

Sawfly larvae? If so, it's somewhat surprising that the currants have
been left alone.

I'm not sure what could be used to control them. Perhaps a pyrethrin
spray? Maybe let some robins into the cage? :-)

--

Jeff

Re: What pest?

<tuq18hpv26eahtifbs4sibfpobgtku3ab9@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1880&group=uk.rec.gardening#1880

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 13:11:15 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Sun, 15 May 2022 12:11 UTC

On Sun, 15 May 2022 11:54:45 +0100, Mike Rogers
<mike@mattishall.org.uk> wrote:

>What could be eating the leaves of my gooseberry bush? The currants and
>raspberries in the same cage haven’t been touched yet gooseberry has
>hardly any leaves left!
>
>Suggestions to saving the few leaves that are left?

As Jeff says, gooseberry sawfly. https://tinyurl.com/4cr3pzka
If you've only got one or two bushes, and have the time, picking the
caterpillars off by hand and squidging them is the environmentally
friendly way of dealing with them. There are nematodes that you can
get which will infect and kill them.

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: What pest?

<t5rgbs$e2i$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1881&group=uk.rec.gardening#1881

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 19:21:48 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Sun, 15 May 2022 18:21 UTC

On 15/05/2022 11:54, Mike Rogers wrote:
> What could be eating the leaves of my gooseberry bush? The currants and
> raspberries in the same cage haven’t been touched yet gooseberry has
> hardly any leaves left!
>
> Suggestions to saving the few leaves that are left?

Gooseberry sawfly. By the time you see this message I predict there will
no leaves at all on your gooseberry bush. It doesn't harm the bush but
it wrecks the crop for any year where they defoliate them entirely.

My problem is with the mildew rather than sawfly.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: What pest?

<t638fg$5hs$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1902&group=uk.rec.gardening#1902

From: char...@roselandhouse.co.uk (Charlie Pridham)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 17:56:15 +0100
 by: Charlie Pridham - Wed, 18 May 2022 16:56 UTC

On 15/05/2022 13:11, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2022 11:54:45 +0100, Mike Rogers
> <mike@mattishall.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> What could be eating the leaves of my gooseberry bush? The currants and
>> raspberries in the same cage haven’t been touched yet gooseberry has
>> hardly any leaves left!
>>
>> Suggestions to saving the few leaves that are left?
>
> As Jeff says, gooseberry sawfly. https://tinyurl.com/4cr3pzka
> If you've only got one or two bushes, and have the time, picking the
> caterpillars off by hand and squidging them is the environmentally
> friendly way of dealing with them. There are nematodes that you can
> get which will infect and kill them.

the nematodes worked a treat but 5 years later they are back!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall