When you dial a wrong number you never get a busy signal.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.

SubjectAuthor
* Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.Marland
+* Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.Anna Noyd-Dryver
|+- Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.Theo
|+* Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||`* Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.Recliner
|| `* Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
||  `- Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.Recliner
|`* Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.Arthur Figgis
| `- Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.Anna Noyd-Dryver
`- Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.Steve Blighton-Sande

1
Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.

<ih3ma3Fdv7uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=191&group=uk.railway#191

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.
Date: 25 May 2021 07:12:03 GMT
 by: Marland - Tue, 25 May 2021 07:12 UTC

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2021/05/live-steam-locomotive-information-thanks-to-swanage-railway-and-real-time-trains-partnership.html

I have mixed feelings about this, surely most people taking a ride on such
a heritage line will to an extent be taking a brief interlude from the
modern world with the seemingly constant need to be fed information every
few minutes of their day .
I could see it being useful on the Swanage line should the long gestation
of running trains from Wareham for transport rather than total tourism
materialise.

GH

Re: Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.

<s8ime6$jd4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=202&group=uk.railway#202

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 11:18:30 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:y3bdXaUtfHjXG9//nqQypqhbitU=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Tue, 25 May 2021 11:18 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:

> https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2021/05/live-steam-locomotive-information-thanks-to-swanage-railway-and-real-time-trains-partnership.html
>

> I have mixed feelings about this, surely most people taking a ride on such
> a heritage line will to an extent be taking a brief interlude from the
> modern world with the seemingly constant need to be fed information every
> few minutes of their day .
> I could see it being useful on the Swanage line should the long gestation
> of running trains from Wareham for transport rather than total tourism
> materialise.

Certain heritage railways have a reputation for delays (particularly on
event days with special timetables), so I'd think this could actually be a
useful feature for people who want to know where their train is / will it
be late. Several railways already publish their planned/actual motive power
roster online; this simply extends it to another source.

I expected a side-benefit of this to be that Swanage journeys, mileage and
traction would now autocomplete in Railmiles for those of us who record our
train travel using that site, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.

<Jyz*UOZky@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=203&group=uk.railway#203

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 25 May 2021 13:08:27 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 25 May 2021 12:08 UTC

Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
> Certain heritage railways have a reputation for delays (particularly on
> event days with special timetables), so I'd think this could actually be a
> useful feature for people who want to know where their train is / will it
> be late. Several railways already publish their planned/actual motive power
> roster online; this simply extends it to another source.

While I'd have to see how the 'giant TV' aesthetic appears in the flesh, I
think this might be a game changer for people who are using the train as
part of a day out and can get the info on their mobile. It tells them
whether they have time for another cuppa or walk around the town. Also a
number of heritage railways have unstaffed 'golf links halt' style stations
where I presume there is no train running information at all. This makes
them a lot more friendly.

It should be noted that heritage railways aren't shy of using modern
equipment in parts of their operations - I don't imagine too many cafes have
coal ranges and buckets of ice for chillers, and visitors seem to manage the
cognitive dissonance.

The age of hanging around a windswept platform with no indication whether
a train is going to turn up at all is not one I'm particularly nostalgic for.

Theo

Re: Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.

<s8it7n$vom$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=207&group=uk.railway#207

From: hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 14:14:32 +0100
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Tue, 25 May 2021 13:14 UTC

On 25/05/2021 12:18, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2021/05/live-steam-locomotive-information-thanks-to-swanage-railway-and-real-time-trains-partnership.html
>>

>> I have mixed feelings about this, surely most people taking a ride on such
>> a heritage line will to an extent be taking a brief interlude from the
>> modern world with the seemingly constant need to be fed information every
>> few minutes of their day .
>> I could see it being useful on the Swanage line should the long gestation
>> of running trains from Wareham for transport rather than total tourism
>> materialise.
>>

> Certain heritage railways have a reputation for delays (particularly on
> event days with special timetables), so I'd think this could actually be a
> useful feature for people who want to know where their train is / will it
> be late. Several railways already publish their planned/actual motive power
> roster online; this simply extends it to another source.
>
> I expected a side-benefit of this to be that Swanage journeys, mileage and
> traction would now autocomplete in Railmiles for those of us who record our
> train travel using that site, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
>

> Anna Noyd-Dryver

I wonder if RTT would eventually cover the Bluebell and the Ffestiniog.

Re: Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.

<s8j1ld$8k7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=215&group=uk.railway#215

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 14:30:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ouEUlO0PKvjn2QhXicwMNYujMCw=
 by: Recliner - Tue, 25 May 2021 14:30 UTC

hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 25/05/2021 12:18, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
>> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2021/05/live-steam-locomotive-information-thanks-to-swanage-railway-and-real-time-trains-partnership.html
>>>

>>> I have mixed feelings about this, surely most people taking a ride on such
>>> a heritage line will to an extent be taking a brief interlude from the
>>> modern world with the seemingly constant need to be fed information every
>>> few minutes of their day .
>>> I could see it being useful on the Swanage line should the long gestation
>>> of running trains from Wareham for transport rather than total tourism
>>> materialise.
>>>

>> Certain heritage railways have a reputation for delays (particularly on
>> event days with special timetables), so I'd think this could actually be a
>> useful feature for people who want to know where their train is / will it
>> be late. Several railways already publish their planned/actual motive power
>> roster online; this simply extends it to another source.
>>
>> I expected a side-benefit of this to be that Swanage journeys, mileage and
>> traction would now autocomplete in Railmiles for those of us who record our
>> train travel using that site, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
>>

>> Anna Noyd-Dryver
>>
> I wonder if RTT would eventually cover the Bluebell and the Ffestiniog.

Possibly the Bluebell, but the Ffestiniog would be highly unlikely. I see
the NYMR is also covered, but perhaps only trains that run to Whitby?

Re: Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.

<77787$60ad1f6e$5af0c434$3975@news.usenetmax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=222&group=uk.railway#222

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: steve.n...@blighton-sande.org.uk (Steve Blighton-Sande)
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 17:01:51 +0100
 by: Steve Blighton-Sande - Tue, 25 May 2021 16:01 UTC

On 25/05/2021 08:12, Marland wrote:

> https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2021/05/live-steam-locomotive-information-thanks-to-swanage-railway-and-real-time-trains-partnership.html
>

> I have mixed feelings about this, surely most people taking a ride on such
> a heritage line will to an extent be taking a brief interlude from the
> modern world with the seemingly constant need to be fed information every
> few minutes of their day .
> I could see it being useful on the Swanage line should the long gestation
> of running trains from Wareham for transport rather than total tourism
> materialise.
>

> GH

For two or three years (Covid permitting) the Swanage Railway and Real
Time Trains have been providing this service on Diesel Gala days, and
also when through services have been running to/via Wareham.

I say all the best to RTT on extending this service further: it may seem
a minor change, but it all helps.

Steve.

Re: Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.

<mtmdnQSm8JAtsDD9nZ2dnUU78InNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=234&group=uk.railway#234

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: afig...@example.com.invalid (Arthur Figgis)
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 18:02:38 +0100
 by: Arthur Figgis - Tue, 25 May 2021 17:02 UTC

On 25/05/2021 12:18, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:

> Certain heritage railways have a reputation for delays (particularly on
> event days with special timetables), so I'd think this could actually be a
> useful feature for people who want to know where their train is / will it
> be late.

There was (until part of a mountain fell on it) a French heritage
railway where people like me would mistakenly think that even the French
wouldn't be so malicious as to timetable the last train to only just
fail to connect with the provincial France frequency SNCF service back
to the nearest city.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Re: Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.

<s8jaqf$1sdc$3@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=236&group=uk.railway#236

From: hounsl...@yahoo.co.uk (hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 18:06:24 +0100
 by: hounslow3@yahoo.co.u - Tue, 25 May 2021 17:06 UTC

On 25/05/2021 15:30, Recliner wrote:
> hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Certain heritage railways have a reputation for delays (particularly on
>>> event days with special timetables), so I'd think this could actually be a
>>> useful feature for people who want to know where their train is / will it
>>> be late. Several railways already publish their planned/actual motive power
>>> roster online; this simply extends it to another source.
>>>
>>> I expected a side-benefit of this to be that Swanage journeys, mileage and
>>> traction would now autocomplete in Railmiles for those of us who record our
>>> train travel using that site, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
>>>

>>> Anna Noyd-Dryver
>>>
>> I wonder if RTT would eventually cover the Bluebell and the Ffestiniog.
>>

> Possibly the Bluebell, but the Ffestiniog would be highly unlikely.

Why so for the latter, considering that it is already integrated within
the national ticketing system?

Re: Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.

<s8jjb9$nge$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=260&group=uk.railway#260

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 19:31:53 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:YbMPvI3tjklVgFNFyKMiXBUMRf4=
 by: Recliner - Tue, 25 May 2021 19:31 UTC

hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 25/05/2021 15:30, Recliner wrote:
>> hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk <hounslow3@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I wonder if RTT would eventually cover the Bluebell and the Ffestiniog.
>>>

>> Possibly the Bluebell, but the Ffestiniog would be highly unlikely.
>
> Why so for the latter, considering that it is already integrated within
> the national ticketing system?

It's the possibility of through trains that greatly increases the
likelihood. So, lines like the Bluebell, West Somerset, Severn Valley, ELR,
KWVR, Watercress, Poppy, Strathspey, etc are all much more likely.

Re: Swanage Railway now on Realtime trains.

<s8jsk9$noq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=283&group=uk.railway#283

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 22:10:18 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:m95XflNgKu+yIpEmO3daZg9MHNs=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Tue, 25 May 2021 22:10 UTC

Arthur Figgis <afiggis@example.com.invalid> wrote:
> On 25/05/2021 12:18, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
>
>> Certain heritage railways have a reputation for delays (particularly on
>> event days with special timetables), so I'd think this could actually be a
>> useful feature for people who want to know where their train is / will it
>> be late.
>
> There was (until part of a mountain fell on it) a French heritage
> railway where people like me would mistakenly think that even the French
> wouldn't be so malicious as to timetable the last train to only just
> fail to connect with the provincial France frequency SNCF service back
> to the nearest city.

It's on the verge of (partially) reopening!

<https://twitter.com/f3alpes/status/1397199690848944141?s=21>

Anna Noyd-Dryver