Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 09:15:35 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Had enough of political correctness yet? Middle sex in the dock
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 17:15 UTC

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/01/25/middlesex-chairman-facing-backlash-outdated-claim-black-people/

Middlesex chairman facing backlash for 'outdated' claim 'black people don't like cricket, they like football'
Mike O'Farrell's comments were immediately likened with the career-ending words of former FA chairman Greg Clarke

ByTom Morgan, SPORTS NEWS CORRESPONDENT and Ben Rumsby
25 January 2022 • 1:59pm
Middlesex chairman Mike O'Farrell
The racism furore in county cricket has reignited after the chairman of Middlesex expressed "outdated" stereotypes on why cricket is failing to nurture black and Asian talent.

Azeem Rafiq and Ebony Rainford-Brent expressed outrage after Mike O'Farrell told MPs young black players prefer football and south Asian communities prioritise education.

O'Farrell's comments were immediately likened with the career-ending words of former FA chairman Greg Clarke, who told the same committee in 2020 that south Asian people choose careers in IT over sport.

"The other thing in the diversity bit is that the football and rugby world becomes much more attractive to the Afro-Caribbean community," said the Middlesex chief as he sat alongside other county chairmen at the first parliamentary hearing on cricket since Rafiq's bombshell evidence last November. "And in terms of the South Asian community, there is a moment where we're finding that they do not want necessarily to commit the same time that is necessary to go to the next step because they sometimes prefer to go into other educational fields, and then cricket becomes secondary. And part of that is because it's a rather more time-consuming sport than some others. So we're finding that's difficult."....

Rod Bransgrove, the Hampshire chairman, has also been forced to deny allegations that he had played down the racism furore in the game. Kevin Brennan, a member of the committee, had told him he had heard an allegation that, at a Nov 19 chairs meeting at The Oval, Bransgrove had said: “The trouble is that they’ve forgotten the value of white men.”
Bransgrove was also alleged to have said: “I know what racism is like. I’m a white man over 60.” However, the executive said in response: “Absolute nonsense.”,,,

Rainford-Brent, the first black woman to play for England and now a commentator and director of women's cricket at Surrey, expressed support for Rafiq's view. "Honestly these outdated views in the game are exactly why we are in this position," she said. "Unfortunately the decision makers hold onto these myths. 'The Black community only like football, and Asian community only interested in education'. Seriously the game deserves better."

O'Farrell later issued his "wholehearted apologies for the misunderstanding" over the comments to MPs. “I wholly accept that this misunderstanding is entirely down to my own lack of clarity and context in the answers I provided, and I am devastated that my comments have led to the conclusions some have made," he added in a statement issued by the club.

“For the purposes of clarification, I was aiming to make the point that as a game, cricket has failed a generation of young cricketers, in systematically failing to provide them with the same opportunities that other sports and sectors so successfully provide.

“Cricket has to take responsibility for these failings and must learn that until we make the game an attractive proposition for youngsters of all backgrounds to continue through the pathway into the professional game, much like other sports and sectors are doing, the game won’t make the progress it needs to."

Middlesex had an academy with "in excess of 60 per cent British-born Asian and black young cricketers", he added, "and we must take responsibility for ensuring that the route into the professional game is as accessible and appealing as other sports or opportunities".

During the peak of the racism crisis engulfing the club, the England & Wales Cricket Board suspended Headingley's status as a venue for international fixtures. The hearing before MPs suggested Yorkshire may be close to getting permission to welcome England back

Executives are ready to hand over evidence of efforts to tackle racism, with chairman Lord Patel admitting "it's crucially important" as they are "financial not viable" without internationals.

Patel told MPs on Tuesday that he will meet with the governing body's board on Feb 1 to show them he is now meeting a criteria of 10 demands.

However, Patel was forced to defend his decision to sack 16 staff members. "Everyone at the club feels their careers have been blighted", said Patel, as Julian Knight, chairman of the committee, suggested "you may have got rid of people who frankly had little or no involvement in any allegations" of racism.

Patel insisted that since he took over as chairman in November the club "fundamentally feels differently". He was heartened that since a members' forum, which saw a frank exchange of views over two hours, another 100 supporters had applied to join.

“We will submit all our evidence by the end of this month and we will present it to the ECB on February 1, and then we will await a decision by them to see if we meet the criteria,” he said. International cricket is "crucially important because without it we're financially not viable".

Read more at https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/01/25/middlesex-chairman-facing-backlash-outdated-claim-black-people/
RH

Re: Had enough of political correctness yet? Middle sex in the dock

<84be01fc-94b8-4084-bb26-a1e8785637cfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19220&group=uk.sport.cricket#19220

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 02:27:48 -0800 (PST)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Wed, 26 Jan 2022 10:27 UTC

On Tuesday, January 25, 2022 at 7:18:44 PM UTC, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
> [...]
> https://crimesofbritain.com/the-crimes-of-winston-churchill/
> THE CRIMES OF GENOCIDAL RACIST MANIAC "WINSTON CHURCHILL"
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.sport.cricket/uOKKtQTRKzc/VAx8Aok9BAAJ
>

> http://www.tehelka.com/2014/06/remembering-indias-forgotten-holocaust/
> WINSTON CHURCHILL IS A GENOCIDAL RACIST, THIEF AND A LIAR
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.sport.cricket/dzIgx_uavP4/hsv6mZ6nAwAJ
>

> https://tinyurl.com/18yv6a5h
> The shameful truth about Churchill
> https://cherwell.org/2017/12/23/churchill-and-india/
>

> https://tinyurl.com/1w2eoksd
> https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/29/asia/churchill-bengal-famine-intl-scli-gbr/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_term=image&utm_source=twCNN&utm_content=2019-03-30T03%3A16%3A07
> GENOCIDAL RACIST THIEF Winston Churchill's policies to blame for
> millions of Indian famine deaths, study says

Click here to read the complete article