Message from Our Sponsor on ttyTV at 13:58 ...

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

SubjectAuthor
* The rush to get rid of parking machinesBrian Gaff
+* The rush to get rid of parking machinesPeter
|+* The rush to get rid of parking machinesTease'n'Seize
||+- The rush to get rid of parking machinesJohn Williamson
||`- The rush to get rid of parking machinesmaus
|`* The rush to get rid of parking machinesBrian Gaff
| `* The rush to get rid of parking machinesAdrian
|  `- The rush to get rid of parking machinesTone
+* The rush to get rid of parking machinesAhem A Rivet's Shot
|+- The rush to get rid of parking machinesJohn Williamson
|`- The rush to get rid of parking machinesTease'n'Seize
+* The rush to get rid of parking machinesTim+
|`* The rush to get rid of parking machinesTone
| `* The rush to get rid of parking machinesRichard Robinson
|  +- The rush to get rid of parking machinesAhem A Rivet's Shot
|  +- The rush to get rid of parking machinesTim+
|  `* The rush to get rid of parking machinesJulian Macassey
|   `* The rush to get rid of parking machinesSam Plusnet
|    +- The rush to get rid of parking machinesmaus
|    `* The rush to get rid of parking machinesRichard Robinson
|     `* The rush to get rid of parking machinesBrian Gaff
|      `- The rush to get rid of parking machinesSam Plusnet
+* The rush to get rid of parking machinesMike Fleming
|`- The rush to get rid of parking machinesBrian Gaff
`- The rush to get rid of parking machinesAdrian Caspersz

1
The rush to get rid of parking machines

<tsvd1p$n91e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19358&group=uk.rec.sheds#19358

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: The rush to get rid of parking machines
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:03:52 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:03 UTC

It seems from what I can tell, that councils, Railways stations and others
have made a decision to handle no more money and not produce real parking
indications of sale. Instead you need a smart phone app, and you enter the
registration of your car, and payment details. In some you are allowed to
put in your start time etc, in others you can elect to let the cameras tell
when you were there.
Apart from the ability for this to go badly wrong, it seems that those
using the system have failed to take into account that many people do not
have a smart mobile, or do not bring their mobile out to the shops with
them, with the result that they park all over the adjoining roads or just
park and hope.
Is this a thing country wide? Not that it worries me directly, but it looks
once again like an idea which does not actually work for many people who
don't have a smart phone or the ability to do very much on one.

I'd have thought some kind of alternate system should be provided, such as a
pay over the phone within 24 hours or get a fine system.
There is normally just the name of an app on the signs I'm told, which is
silly.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<XnsAFB16474AA23CFactura3476@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19360&group=uk.rec.sheds#19360

From: mys...@prune.org.uk (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:52:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Peter - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:52 UTC

Not the case here, about 40 miles west of London. The council car parks use
conventional machines that don't use smart phones at all. The station is
primarily a smart phone app but we can also pay at the railway ticket
booth. Just as well - I'm not keen on smart phones, though I have one.
SWMBO refuses to have one.

--
Peter
-----

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<TD2dnZid3dUK1m7-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19361&group=uk.rec.sheds#19361

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:29:35 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:29 UTC

Peter wrote:

> The council car parks use
> conventional machines that don't use smart phones at all.

Same here, they were SFP until a few years ago, then machines were
introduced at about 20p, that's gone up and up killing off visitors who
go to out-of-town centres instead, shops close down, parking prices go
up so it's cheaper to drive elsewhere rather than pay to park.

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<20230220105244.be5323eadcb213bec755c95b@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19362&group=uk.rec.sheds#19362

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:52:44 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 10:52 UTC

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:03:52 -0000
"Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems from what I can tell, that councils, Railways stations and
> others have made a decision to handle no more money and not produce real
> parking indications of sale.

They seem to be just adding contactless payment readers to the
machines here - sme as the toll booths, they still take coins but it
wouldn't surprise me if that stops one day.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<1936653149.698584211.044839.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19364&group=uk.rec.sheds#19364

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 Feb 2023 11:12:53 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:12 UTC

Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems from what I can tell, that councils, Railways stations and others
> have made a decision to handle no more money and not produce real parking
> indications of sale. Instead you need a smart phone app, and you enter the
> registration of your car, and payment details. In some you are allowed to
> put in your start time etc, in others you can elect to let the cameras tell
> when you were there.
> Apart from the ability for this to go badly wrong, it seems that those
> using the system have failed to take into account that many people do not
> have a smart mobile, or do not bring their mobile out to the shops with
> them,

Hooray for smart phones I say! Finding change for parking machines was
always an utter pain. Smart phone apps also allow you to extend your paid
parking time if you’re delayed.

I have done this from my paddleboard on the middle of the Clyde.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<k5h3ctFh0mbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19365&group=uk.rec.sheds#19365

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:20:59 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:20 UTC

On 20/02/2023 10:29, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>
>> The council car parks use
>> conventional machines that don't use smart phones at all.
>
> Same here, they were SFP until a few years ago, then machines were
> introduced at about 20p, that's gone up and up killing off visitors who
> go to out-of-town centres instead, shops close down, parking prices go
> up so it's cheaper to drive elsewhere rather than pay to park.

I have noticed that about the only high street with virtually no empty
shops round here is the one where you don't pay to park. The market
seems to be doing well, too.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<k5h3eaFh0mbU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19366&group=uk.rec.sheds#19366

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:21:45 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:21 UTC

On 20/02/2023 10:52, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:03:52 -0000
> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It seems from what I can tell, that councils, Railways stations and
>> others have made a decision to handle no more money and not produce real
>> parking indications of sale.
>
> They seem to be just adding contactless payment readers to the
> machines here - sme as the toll booths, they still take coins but it
> wouldn't surprise me if that stops one day.

It will. Handling cash is ridiculously expensive.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<tsvljb$oi5s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19367&group=uk.rec.sheds#19367

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:29:47 +0000
 by: Tone - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:29 UTC

On 20/02/2023 11:12, Tim+ wrote:
> Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It seems from what I can tell, that councils, Railways stations and others
>> have made a decision to handle no more money and not produce real parking
>> indications of sale. Instead you need a smart phone app, and you enter the
>> registration of your car, and payment details. In some you are allowed to
>> put in your start time etc, in others you can elect to let the cameras tell
>> when you were there.
>> Apart from the ability for this to go badly wrong, it seems that those
>> using the system have failed to take into account that many people do not
>> have a smart mobile, or do not bring their mobile out to the shops with
>> them,
>
> Hooray for smart phones I say! Finding change for parking machines was
> always an utter pain. Smart phone apps also allow you to extend your paid
> parking time if you’re delayed.
>
> I have done this from my paddleboard on the middle of the Clyde.
>
> Tim

I had no idea you needed to pay to park a paddleboard in the middle of
the Clyde!

Tone

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<pZ-dnXQM9pnZ9G7-nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19368&group=uk.rec.sheds#19368

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 12:36:18 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: tease-an...@invalid (Tease'n'Seize)
 by: Tease'n'Se - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 12:36 UTC

Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

> They seem to be just adding contactless payment readers to the
> machines here

The big multley-story ones have that.

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<tt004t$pmbi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19369&group=uk.rec.sheds#19369

From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 14:29:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 14:29 UTC

Tone said:
> On 20/02/2023 11:12, Tim+ wrote:
>> Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It seems from what I can tell, that councils, Railways stations and others
>>> have made a decision to handle no more money and not produce real parking
>>> indications of sale. Instead you need a smart phone app, and you enter the
>>> registration of your car, and payment details. In some you are allowed to
>>> put in your start time etc, in others you can elect to let the cameras tell
>>> when you were there.
>>> Apart from the ability for this to go badly wrong, it seems that those
>>> using the system have failed to take into account that many people do not
>>> have a smart mobile, or do not bring their mobile out to the shops with
>>> them,
>>
>> Hooray for smart phones I say! Finding change for parking machines was
>> always an utter pain. Smart phone apps also allow you to extend your paid
>> parking time if you’re delayed.
>>
>> I have done this from my paddleboard on the middle of the Clyde.
>>
>> Tim
>>

> I had no idea you needed to pay to park a paddleboard in the middle of
> the Clyde!

That's when you fall off and your smartphone gets wet.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<k5hfjgFir1tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19370&group=uk.rec.sheds#19370

From: mau...@mail.com (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 Feb 2023 14:49:20 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 14:49 UTC

On 2023-02-20, Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>
>> The council car parks use
>> conventional machines that don't use smart phones at all.
>
> Same here, they were SFP until a few years ago, then machines were
> introduced at about 20p, that's gone up and up killing off visitors who
> go to out-of-town centres instead, shops close down, parking prices go
> up so it's cheaper to drive elsewhere rather than pay to park.

Which the superrobbers love. The town centers will decline to cheap
chippers and bookies, (I could insert a picture of my local town, but
its happening everywhere.)

--
greymausg@mail.com
where is our money gone, Dude?

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<20230220152738.a64e589746d0675e60dd08f7@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19371&group=uk.rec.sheds#19371

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 15:27:38 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 15:27 UTC

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 14:29:49 -0000 (UTC)
Richard Robinson <richard@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:

> That's when you fall off and your smartphone gets wet.

Also descends to the depths where it will be found by Davy Jones who
has been trying to get one to work for ages.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<1353281255.698601490.805250.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19373&group=uk.rec.sheds#19373

From: tim.dow...@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 Feb 2023 16:00:31 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 16:00 UTC

Richard Robinson <richard@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:
> Tone said:
>>>
>>> Hooray for smart phones I say! Finding change for parking machines was
>>> always an utter pain. Smart phone apps also allow you to extend your paid
>>> parking time if you’re delayed.
>>>
>>> I have done this from my paddleboard on the middle of the Clyde.
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>

>> I had no idea you needed to pay to park a paddleboard in the middle of
>> the Clyde!
>
> That's when you fall off and your smartphone gets wet.

I did fall in but survived the poisonous water. Reminiscent of the Ankh.
Phone was in a waterproof pouch.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<slrntv7d3s.m145.julian@n6are.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19375&group=uk.rec.sheds#19375

From: jul...@n6are.com (Julian Macassey)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 17:57:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Julian Macassey - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 17:57 UTC

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 14:29:49 -0000 (UTC), Richard Robinson <richard@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:
> Tone said:
>>>
>>> Hooray for smart phones I say! Finding change for parking machines was
>>> always an utter pain. Smart phone apps also allow you to extend your paid
>>> parking time if you’re delayed.
>>>
>>> I have done this from my paddleboard on the middle of the Clyde.
>>
>> I had no idea you needed to pay to park a paddleboard in the middle of
>> the Clyde!
>
> That's when you fall off and your smartphone gets wet.

Little boat owners user either waterproof baggies or
small Pelican case for their cell phones.

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<k3QIL.120033$dii3.48139@fx01.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19377&group=uk.rec.sheds#19377

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 19:43:12 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 19:43 UTC

On 20-Feb-23 17:57, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 14:29:49 -0000 (UTC), Richard Robinson <richard@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote:
>> Tone said:

>>> I had no idea you needed to pay to park a paddleboard in the middle of
>>> the Clyde!
>>
>> That's when you fall off and your smartphone gets wet.
>
> Little boat owners user either waterproof baggies or
> small Pelican case for their cell phones.

What do the tall ones do?

(asking for a friend.)

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<k5i35jFlmpsU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19380&group=uk.rec.sheds#19380

From: mau...@mail.com (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 20 Feb 2023 20:23:15 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 20:23 UTC

On 2023-02-20, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> On 20-Feb-23 17:57, Julian Macassey wrote:

>>> That's when you fall off and your smartphone gets wet.
>>
>> Little boat owners user either waterproof baggies or
>> small Pelican case for their cell phones.
>
> What do the tall ones do?
>
> (asking for a friend.)

Stand on the bottom and hold the cell phone out of the water. (
a stretch of canal near here)(
a stretch of canal near here)(
a stretch of canal near here)(
a stretch of canal near here)(
a stretch of canal near here)(
a stretch of canal near here)(
a stretch of canal near here)(
a stretch of canal near here)(
a stretch of canal near here)

--
greymausg@mail.com
where is our money gone, Dude?

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<k5iehqFnfj1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19383&group=uk.rec.sheds#19383

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 23:37:29 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 23:37 UTC

On 20/02/2023 09:03, Brian Gaff wrote:
> It seems from what I can tell, that councils, Railways stations and others
> have made a decision to handle no more money and not produce real parking
> indications of sale. Instead you need a smart phone app, and you enter the
> registration of your car, and payment details. In some you are allowed to
> put in your start time etc, in others you can elect to let the cameras tell
> when you were there.

It's very convenient if you have a smart phone, but with the caveat that
you should never trust any QR codes on the parking machine. The last
time I used a parking machine, I did use cash (the same parking machine
that I got the dodgy QR code from some months ago) but using a smart
phone means you don't have to ensure you've got the cash on you.

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<tt21ol$13clb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19388&group=uk.rec.sheds#19388

From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 09:09:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 09:09 UTC

Sam Plusnet said:
> On 20-Feb-23 17:57, Julian Macassey wrote:

>>> That's when you fall off and your smartphone gets wet.
>>
>> Little boat owners user either waterproof baggies or
>> small Pelican case for their cell phones.
>
> What do the tall ones do?

And where do they keep their small Pelicans ?

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<tt2qtd$16911$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19397&group=uk.rec.sheds#19397

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 16:18:50 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 16:18 UTC

Well, Kingston Upon Thames are going to ditch all of their machines and go
online apparently, over the next year. One big reason has been the dodgy
fraudsters adding a card reader to the current machines.

PS if you ever want to go to a concert you will find the ticket only exists
on the mobile, the Airlines are going the same way it seems.
Brian

--

--:
"Peter" <myshed@prune.org.uk> wrote in message
> Not the case here, about 40 miles west of London. The council car parks
> use
> conventional machines that don't use smart phones at all. The station is
> primarily a smart phone app but we can also pay at the railway ticket
> booth. Just as well - I'm not keen on smart phones, though I have one.
> SWMBO refuses to have one.
>

> "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> It seems from what I can tell, that councils, Railways stations and
>> others have made a decision to handle no more money and not produce
>> real parking indications of sale. Instead you need a smart phone app,
>> and you enter the registration of your car, and payment details. In
>> some you are allowed to put in your start time etc, in others you can
>> elect to let the cameras tell when you were there.
>> Apart from the ability for this to go badly wrong, it seems that
>> those
>> using the system have failed to take into account that many people do
>> not have a smart mobile, or do not bring their mobile out to the shops
>> with them, with the result that they park all over the adjoining roads
>> or just park and hope.
>> Is this a thing country wide? Not that it worries me directly, but it
>> looks
>> once again like an idea which does not actually work for many people
>> who don't have a smart phone or the ability to do very much on one.
>>
>> I'd have thought some kind of alternate system should be provided,
>> such as a pay over the phone within 24 hours or get a fine system.
>> There is normally just the name of an app on the signs I'm told,
>> which is
>> silly.
>> Brian
>>

> --
> Peter
> -----

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<tt2vvp$16q6e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19399&group=uk.rec.sheds#19399

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 17:45:26 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 17:45 UTC

Yes I was wondering about the pelicans myself.

How do you press the side button and let it see your face to make a
contactless payment when on a boat in any case?
Brian

--

--:
"Richard Robinson" <richard@qualmograph.org.uk> wrote in message
> Sam Plusnet said:
>> On 20-Feb-23 17:57, Julian Macassey wrote:

>>> Little boat owners user either waterproof baggies or
>>> small Pelican case for their cell phones.
>>
>> What do the tall ones do?
>
> And where do they keep their small Pelicans ?
>
>> (asking for a friend.)
>>

> --
> Richard Robinson
> "The whole plan hinged upon the natural curiosity of potatoes" - S. Lem
>
> My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<tt3035$16qfi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19400&group=uk.rec.sheds#19400

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 17:47:14 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 17:47 UTC

These are some of the reasons for getting rid of them. Too many Latvian
scammers with gadgets to get your do hanging about.

Brian

--

--:
"Mike Fleming" <mike@tauzero.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 20/02/2023 09:03, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> It seems from what I can tell, that councils, Railways stations and
>> others
>> have made a decision to handle no more money and not produce real parking
>> indications of sale. Instead you need a smart phone app, and you enter
>> the
>> registration of your car, and payment details. In some you are allowed to
>> put in your start time etc, in others you can elect to let the cameras
>> tell
>> when you were there.
>
> It's very convenient if you have a smart phone, but with the caveat that
> you should never trust any QR codes on the parking machine. The last time
> I used a parking machine, I did use cash (the same parking machine that I
> got the dodgy QR code from some months ago) but using a smart phone means
> you don't have to ensure you've got the cash on you.

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<dF8JL.241802$82jd.121220@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19404&group=uk.rec.sheds#19404

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 19:08:56 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 19:08 UTC

On 21-Feb-23 17:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Yes I was wondering about the pelicans myself.
>
> How do you press the side button and let it see your face to make a
> contactless payment when on a boat in any case?

Have with you another phone (on a waterproof case), on which you can
display a photograph of your face.
Place the two phones near each other, and Roberto is that creepy
relative that you hope will not appear at family gatherings.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<HQBC98O4Zh9jFwv9@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19446&group=uk.rec.sheds#19446

From: bull...@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 13:19:52 +0000
 by: Adrian - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 13:19 UTC

In message <tt2qtd$16911$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> writes
>PS if you ever want to go to a concert you will find the ticket only exists
>on the mobile.

I goove that rather deep ends on what concert you are going to. I went
to one last night that used a physical ticket, and I have a several of
them sitting close to hand for my future entertainment.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<tt55rb$1h7cb$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19449&group=uk.rec.sheds#19449

From: ton...@email.com (Tone)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 13:37:46 +0000
 by: Tone - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 13:37 UTC

On 22/02/2023 13:19, Adrian wrote:
> In message <tt2qtd$16911$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> writes
>> PS if you ever want to go to a concert you will find the ticket only
>> exists
>> on the mobile.
>
> I goove that rather deep ends on what concert you are going to.  I went
> to one last night that used a physical ticket, and I have a several of
> them sitting close to hand for my future entertainment.
>
> Adrian

I get press comps for concerts. Some are emailed to me as an attachment
that I can print out.

Some venues know me well enough not to bother about tickets.

I just wish I was fittererer so that I could go to most of them.

Tone

Re: The rush to get rid of parking machines

<k5n7roFfhjvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19456&group=uk.rec.sheds#19456

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 19:13:59 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Wed, 22 Feb 2023 19:13 UTC

On 20/02/2023 09:03, Brian Gaff wrote:
> It seems from what I can tell, that councils, Railways stations and others
> have made a decision to handle no more money and not produce real parking
> indications of sale. Instead you need a smart phone app, and you enter the
> registration of your car, and payment details. In some you are allowed to
> put in your start time etc, in others you can elect to let the cameras tell
> when you were there.
> Apart from the ability for this to go badly wrong, it seems that those
> using the system have failed to take into account that many people do not
> have a smart mobile, or do not bring their mobile out to the shops with
> them, with the result that they park all over the adjoining roads or just
> park and hope.
> Is this a thing country wide?

In some places, if you don't have a mobile phone you can find a corner
shop with a PayPoint sign and stand in a queue watching life (and any
hope of included free parking) tick by.

--
Adrian C