19 May, 2024: Line wrapping has been changed to be consistent with Usenet standards.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

SubjectAuthor
* Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Mike Ruddock
+* Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Mike McMillan
|`* Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)J. P. Gilliver
| +- Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Iain Archer
| `* Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Jenny M Benson
|  `- Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Nick Odell
+* Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)J. P. Gilliver
|`* Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Sam Plusnet
| `* Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Mike McMillan
|  `* Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Sam Plusnet
|   `* Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Rosie Mitchell
|    +- Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Sam Plusnet
|    `* Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)krw
|     `- Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Chris
+* Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Joe Kerr
|`* Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)J. P. Gilliver
| `* Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Joe Kerr
|  +* Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Mike McMillan
|  |`* Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Vicky
|  | +- Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Iain Archer
|  | `- Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)J. P. Gilliver
|  `* Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Nick Odell
|   +- Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Joe Kerr
|   `- Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Chris
`* Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Rosie Mitchell
 `* Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Kate B
  `* Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)Chris
   `- Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)J. P. Gilliver

Pages:12
Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<kuj16vFdq8kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19537&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19537

From: ruddock...@btinternet.com (Mike Ruddock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:42:41 +0000
 by: Mike Ruddock - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 14:42 UTC

When lying awake
With a dismal headache
And repose is tabooed by anxiety . . .

it occurred to me to pass the time by listening to some poetry. So I
asked Alexa (for it is she in our house!) to recite Milton's Ode On His
Blindness.
Alexa didn't know that, nor, when I helpfully gave her the first line,
could she continue. She was much the same about Lines Written upon
Westminster Bridge.

OK, let's try music, but although she claimed not to know Morgen by
Richard Strauss, when I asked her to play music by Richard Strauss she
came up with one of the Four Last Songs which was immediately followed
by the wanted Morgen and then, after two intermediate pieces, one of
which was the opening bars of Also Sprach Zarathustra (known by some as
Earthrise) along came another performance of Morgen.
Verging on a waste of space.

Mike Ruddock

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<um1kvh$147sm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19540&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19540

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:18:09 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Zs1QvsejpWJZyeg2U45UpT0TRs8=
 by: Mike McMillan - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:18 UTC

Mike Ruddock <ruddock117@btinternet.com> wrote:
> When lying awake
> With a dismal headache
> And repose is tabooed by anxiety . . .
>
> it occurred to me to pass the time by listening to some poetry. So I
> asked Alexa (for it is she in our house!) to recite Milton's Ode On His
> Blindness.
> Alexa didn't know that, nor, when I helpfully gave her the first line,
> could she continue. She was much the same about Lines Written upon
> Westminster Bridge.
>
> OK, let's try music, but although she claimed not to know Morgen by
> Richard Strauss, when I asked her to play music by Richard Strauss she
> came up with one of the Four Last Songs which was immediately followed
> by the wanted Morgen and then, after two intermediate pieces, one of
> which was the opening bars of Also Sprach Zarathustra (known by some as
> Earthrise) along came another performance of Morgen.
> Verging on a waste of space.
>
> Mike Ruddock

Perhaps try the feed line ‘Weigh a Pie’ (Somewhere, over the rainbow)

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<h43KXUNjfFhlFwQZ@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19543&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19543

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:21:07 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:21 UTC

In message <kuj16vFdq8kU1@mid.individual.net> at Thu, 21 Dec 2023
14:42:41, Mike Ruddock <ruddock117@btinternet.com> writes
>When lying awake
>With a dismal headache
>And repose is tabooed by anxiety . . .

(Rats, that tune's in my head now!)

>it occurred to me to pass the time by listening to some poetry. So I
>asked Alexa (for it is she in our house!) to recite Milton's Ode On His
>Blindness.
>Alexa didn't know that, nor, when I helpfully gave her the first line,
>could she continue. She was much the same about Lines Written upon
>Westminster Bridge.

That title always makes me think it's talking about graffiti!

>OK, let's try music, but although she claimed not to know Morgen by
>Richard Strauss, when I asked her to play music by Richard Strauss she
>came up with one of the Four Last Songs which was immediately followed
>by the wanted Morgen and then, after two intermediate pieces, one of
>which was the opening bars of Also Sprach Zarathustra (known by some as
>Earthrise) along came another performance of Morgen.
>Verging on a waste of space.

I wonder if, had you set your language for it to German, it would have
had a different result. Probably not - I suspect it's dependent on what
those who upload to YouTube have (a) uploaded (b) attached as
keywords/description; it's likely to have more pop than classical, as I
think record companies upload to increase publicity. (Probably other
music sites too, but I know Google own YouTube.)

>Mike Ruddock

I never knew ASZ was known by some as Earthrise; I presume it was so
named by some of the early astronauts, probably prompted by 2001, which
I think it's more known as - by people who are startled to discover it's
actually quite long. Like those who are aghast to discover Ravel's
Bolero actually lasts about a quarter of an hour, if they grew to know
it due to Torvill and Dean (or "10"!). [He allegedly wrote it being
driven half mad by the noises from a sawmill next to his lodgings
keeping him awake - which returns us to your opening lines ...]

Beatrix Potter was a bunny boiler.
- Patricia Routledge, on "Today" 2016-1-26

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<um1m8b$14f6j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19544&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19544

From: joe_k...@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:39:54 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:39 UTC

On 21/12/2023 14:42, Mike Ruddock wrote:
> When lying awake
> With a dismal headache
> And repose is tabooed by anxiety . . .
>
> it occurred to me to pass the time by listening to some poetry. So I
> asked Alexa (for it is she in our house!) to recite Milton's Ode On His
> Blindness.
> Alexa didn't know that, nor, when I helpfully gave her the first line,
> could she continue. She was much the same about Lines Written upon
> Westminster Bridge.
>
> OK, let's try music, but although she claimed not to know Morgen by
> Richard Strauss, when I asked her to play music by Richard Strauss she
> came up with one of the  Four Last Songs which was immediately followed
> by the wanted Morgen and then, after two intermediate pieces, one of
> which was the opening bars of Also Sprach Zarathustra (known by some as
> Earthrise) along came another performance of Morgen.
> Verging on a waste of space.
>
> Mike Ruddock

I think she only plays specific pieces by name if you have a paid
subscription to a music streaming site that she is linked to. Otherwise
you can only get generic requests satisfied.

--
Ric

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<b7V03AOrQGhlFwGg@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19546&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19546

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!news.neodome.net!news.mixmin.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr2.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.23.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 16:13:31 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 16:13 UTC

In message <um1kvh$147sm$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:18:09,
Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
[]
>Perhaps try the feed line ‘Weigh a Pie’ (Somewhere, over the rainbow)

https://255soft.uk/temp/weighpie.JPG

Veni Vidi Vacuum [I came, I saw, It sucked] - mik@saslimited.demon.co.uk, 1998

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<87a5q3pltf.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19549&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19549

From: rcmitch...@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 16:22:36 +0000
sha1:w9q1mWLfRvQDX/gk4C4l/7qHKvM=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 16:22 UTC

Mike Ruddock <ruddock117@btinternet.com> writes:

> When lying awake
> With a dismal headache
> And repose is tabooed by anxiety . . .
>
> it occurred to me to pass the time by listening to some poetry. So I
> asked Alexa (for it is she in our house!) to recite Milton's Ode On
> His Blindness.
> Alexa didn't know that, nor, when I helpfully gave her the first line,
> could she continue. She was much the same about Lines Written upon
> Westminster Bridge.
>
> OK, let's try music, but although she claimed not to know Morgen by
> Richard Strauss, when I asked her to play music by Richard Strauss she
> came up with one of the Four Last Songs which was immediately
> followed by the wanted Morgen and then, after two intermediate pieces,
> one of which was the opening bars of Also Sprach Zarathustra (known by
> some as Earthrise) along came another performance of Morgen.
> Verging on a waste of space.
>
> Mike Ruddock

Alexa is clueless when it comes to requesting a whole symphony or an
entire opera. Even before you try specifying the particular
recording. That's the Classic FM effect – only the hummable bits. (Yes,
Radio 3 is heading that way too).

Rosie

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<Xre3DiOGUGhlFwG3@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19550&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19550

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 16:17:10 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 16:17 UTC

In message <um1m8b$14f6j$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:39:54,
Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com> writes
>On 21/12/2023 14:42, Mike Ruddock wrote:
[]
>>asked Alexa (for it is she in our house!) to recite Milton's Ode On
[]
>> OK, let's try music, but although she claimed not to know Morgen by
[]
>I think she only plays specific pieces by name if you have a paid
>subscription to a music streaming site that she is linked to. Otherwise
>you can only get generic requests satisfied.

I think very well-known pieces - especially pop - will come; I think if
you asked for "Walking back to happiness", for example, you'd get it,
possibly even by the right performer. (Say "sing <song title>".) [I
don't have one so can't check.]

Veni Vidi Vacuum [I came, I saw, It sucked] - mik@saslimited.demon.co.uk, 1998

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<um1rpj$15a0t$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19552&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19552

From: ian...@montaigne.me.uk (Iain Archer)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 17:14:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Iain Archer - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 17:14 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 16:13:31 +0000, J. P. Gilliver wrote:

> In message <um1kvh$147sm$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:18:09,
> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes []
>>Perhaps try the feed line ‘Weigh a Pie’ (Somewhere, over the rainbow)
>>
> https://255soft.uk/temp/weighpie.JPG

It tastes awfully blurry. :-(

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<kujataFbnl4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19554&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19554

From: elv...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 17:28:11 +0000
 by: Kate B - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 17:28 UTC

On 21/12/2023 16:22, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
> Mike Ruddock <ruddock117@btinternet.com> writes:
>
>> When lying awake
>> With a dismal headache
>> And repose is tabooed by anxiety . . .
>>
>> it occurred to me to pass the time by listening to some poetry. So I
>> asked Alexa (for it is she in our house!) to recite Milton's Ode On
>> His Blindness.
>> Alexa didn't know that, nor, when I helpfully gave her the first line,
>> could she continue. She was much the same about Lines Written upon
>> Westminster Bridge.
>>
>> OK, let's try music, but although she claimed not to know Morgen by
>> Richard Strauss, when I asked her to play music by Richard Strauss she
>> came up with one of the Four Last Songs which was immediately
>> followed by the wanted Morgen and then, after two intermediate pieces,
>> one of which was the opening bars of Also Sprach Zarathustra (known by
>> some as Earthrise) along came another performance of Morgen.
>> Verging on a waste of space.
>>
>> Mike Ruddock
>
> Alexa is clueless when it comes to requesting a whole symphony or an
> entire opera. Even before you try specifying the particular
> recording. That's the Classic FM effect – only the hummable bits. (Yes,
> Radio 3 is heading that way too).

Playing entire classical albums, whether operas or cycles of pieces, is
often problematic on streaming services. Because there are numbered
tracks, Spotify et al always put a gap between tracks and sometimes
decide to shuffle. Which can lead to a very unsatisfactory operatic
listening experience! Even Idagio which is a classical-only streaming
service does the artificial gap between tracks thing sometimes. Back to
the CDs it is...

I don't really mind Radio 3s bitty approach during the day - if I want
to listen properly to a long symphony or opera then I find another way
of doing it. The evening concerts are as whole as the concert organiser
chooses. It really isn't like Classic FM - yet - even though the
incessant trailers for other BBC progs are almost as annoying as the ads
on Classic FM.

--
Kate B

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<6P%gN.64348$Ama9.57632@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19566&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19566

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:51:47 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:51 UTC

On 21-Dec-23 15:21, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <kuj16vFdq8kU1@mid.individual.net> at Thu, 21 Dec 2023
> 14:42:41, Mike Ruddock <ruddock117@btinternet.com> writes
>> When lying awake
>> With a dismal headache
>> And repose is tabooed by anxiety . . .
>
> (Rats, that tune's in my head now!)
>>
>> it occurred to me to pass the time by listening to some poetry. So I
>> asked Alexa (for it is she in our house!) to recite Milton's Ode On
>> His Blindness.
>> Alexa didn't know that, nor, when I helpfully gave her the first line,
>> could she continue. She was much the same about Lines Written upon
>> Westminster Bridge.
>
> That title always makes me think it's talking about graffiti!

Which jolted me towards "Love laughs at locksmiths" - and the modern
habit of weighing down bridges with millions of padlocks - as a romantic
token.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<um21nk$16a9q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19568&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19568

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:55:48 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ziGPHyyTpNeNfOQQb4PCoS2lp4k=
 by: Mike McMillan - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 18:55 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> On 21-Dec-23 15:21, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <kuj16vFdq8kU1@mid.individual.net> at Thu, 21 Dec 2023
>> 14:42:41, Mike Ruddock <ruddock117@btinternet.com> writes
>>> When lying awake
>>> With a dismal headache
>>> And repose is tabooed by anxiety . . .
>>
>> (Rats, that tune's in my head now!)
>>>
>>> it occurred to me to pass the time by listening to some poetry. So I
>>> asked Alexa (for it is she in our house!) to recite Milton's Ode On
>>> His Blindness.
>>> Alexa didn't know that, nor, when I helpfully gave her the first line,
>>> could she continue. She was much the same about Lines Written upon
>>> Westminster Bridge.
>>
>> That title always makes me think it's talking about graffiti!
>
> Which jolted me towards "Love laughs at locksmiths" - and the modern
> habit of weighing down bridges with millions of padlocks - as a romantic
> token.

They’ll need to employ more key workers …

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<5u2hN.64571$Ama9.9431@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19575&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19575

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 21:54:09 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 21:54 UTC

On 21-Dec-23 18:55, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>> On 21-Dec-23 15:21, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>> In message <kuj16vFdq8kU1@mid.individual.net> at Thu, 21 Dec 2023
>>> 14:42:41, Mike Ruddock <ruddock117@btinternet.com> writes
>>>
>>> (Rats, that tune's in my head now!)

>>> That title always makes me think it's talking about graffiti!
>>
>> Which jolted me towards "Love laughs at locksmiths" - and the modern
>> habit of weighing down bridges with millions of padlocks - as a romantic
>> token.
>>

> They’ll need to employ more key workers …

They have ended the perpetual job of painting the Forth Bridge, but now
have to de-padlock pedestrian bridges on a frequent basis, to prevent
the build-up of excessive weight.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<kuk0ulFjoi8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19578&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19578

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:44:19 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:44 UTC

On 21/12/2023 16:13, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <um1kvh$147sm$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:18:09,
> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
> []
>> Perhaps try the feed line ‘Weigh a Pie’ (Somewhere, over the rainbow)
>>
> https://255soft.uk/temp/weighpie.JPG

I recently bought a couple of delicious Cottage Pie Pies from a stall on
Mold Market. It turned out to be surprisingly difficult to make my
sister understand that a Cottage Pie Pie was a Cottage Pie (basically
minded beef under mashed potato) in a pastry case!
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<87plyz6q5v.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19580&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19580

From: rcmitch...@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 00:23:40 +0000
sha1:K044SqkaKSedZyDV+V5n3VB4meg=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 00:23 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> writes:

> On 21-Dec-23 18:55, Mike McMillan wrote:
>> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>>> Which jolted me towards "Love laughs at locksmiths" - and the modern
>>> habit of weighing down bridges with millions of padlocks - as a romantic
>>> token.
>>>
>> They’ll need to employ more key workers …
>>
> They have ended the perpetual job of painting the Forth Bridge, but
> now have to de-padlock pedestrian bridges on a frequent basis, to
> prevent the build-up of excessive weight.

I believe the old Forth Bridge metaphor has been replaced, here in
Scotland at least, by starting the laying of the next release of
fibre-optic cabling as soon as the trench from the previous lot has been
filled in.

Rosie

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<um3sfe$1i299$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19582&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19582

From: joe_k...@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:38:17 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:38 UTC

On 21/12/2023 16:17, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <um1m8b$14f6j$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:39:54,
> Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com> writes
>> On 21/12/2023 14:42, Mike Ruddock wrote:
> []
>>> asked Alexa (for it is she in our house!) to recite Milton's Ode On
> []
>>>  OK, let's try music, but although she claimed not to know Morgen by
> []
>> I think she only plays specific pieces by name if you have a paid
>> subscription to a music streaming site that she is linked to.
>> Otherwise you can only get generic requests satisfied.
>>
> I think very well-known pieces - especially pop - will come; I think if
> you asked for "Walking back to happiness", for example, you'd get it,
> possibly even by the right performer. (Say "sing <song title>".) [I
> don't have one so can't check.]

I got a good talking to about signing up for a Prime or Music Unlimited
subscription if I wanted to request specific tracks. I'm sure she was
wagging her finger at me. When I asked for a genre (smooth jazz to be
specific - I didn't want to upset the neighbours) I got a
recommendation to sign up for a Prime or Music Unlimited subscription
and a threat to play ads; a threat she carried out.

--
Ric

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<um47bn$1jo8b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19586&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19586

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 14:44:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:bSz9C/q/7EsKOYSDssm6KDJmlfQ=
 by: Mike McMillan - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 14:44 UTC

Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com> wrote:
> On 21/12/2023 16:17, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <um1m8b$14f6j$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:39:54,
>> Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com> writes
>>> On 21/12/2023 14:42, Mike Ruddock wrote:
>> []
>> []
>> []
>>> I think she only plays specific pieces by name if you have a paid
>>> subscription to a music streaming site that she is linked to.
>>> Otherwise you can only get generic requests satisfied.
>>>
>> I think very well-known pieces - especially pop - will come; I think if
>> you asked for "Walking back to happiness", for example, you'd get it,
>> possibly even by the right performer. (Say "sing <song title>".) [I
>> don't have one so can't check.]
>
> I got a good talking to about signing up for a Prime or Music Unlimited
> subscription if I wanted to request specific tracks. I'm sure she was
> wagging her finger at me. When I asked for a genre (smooth jazz to be
> specific - I didn't want to upset the neighbours) I got a
> recommendation to sign up for a Prime or Music Unlimited subscription
> and a threat to play ads; a threat she carried out.

…And another thing… when activating one of the echoes with a request to
play a BBC radio channel - they have now added a boodly ‘sounds’ advert
before providing the programme material - currently an advert for Jess
Gillam -HARRUMPH.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<um4e1l$1ksjs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19588&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19588

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:38:13 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:pqF7reseNwxCQEZkwWVsIf9CP5A=
 by: Chris - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 16:38 UTC

Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 21/12/2023 16:22, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
>> Mike Ruddock <ruddock117@btinternet.com> writes:
>>
>>> When lying awake
>>> With a dismal headache
>>> And repose is tabooed by anxiety . . .
>>>
>>> it occurred to me to pass the time by listening to some poetry. So I
>>> asked Alexa (for it is she in our house!) to recite Milton's Ode On
>>> His Blindness.
>>> Alexa didn't know that, nor, when I helpfully gave her the first line,
>>> could she continue. She was much the same about Lines Written upon
>>> Westminster Bridge.
>>>
>>> OK, let's try music, but although she claimed not to know Morgen by
>>> Richard Strauss, when I asked her to play music by Richard Strauss she
>>> came up with one of the Four Last Songs which was immediately
>>> followed by the wanted Morgen and then, after two intermediate pieces,
>>> one of which was the opening bars of Also Sprach Zarathustra (known by
>>> some as Earthrise) along came another performance of Morgen.
>>> Verging on a waste of space.
>>>
>>> Mike Ruddock
>>
>> Alexa is clueless when it comes to requesting a whole symphony or an
>> entire opera. Even before you try specifying the particular
>> recording. That's the Classic FM effect – only the hummable bits. (Yes,
>> Radio 3 is heading that way too).
>>

> Playing entire classical albums, whether operas or cycles of pieces, is
> often problematic on streaming services. Because there are numbered
> tracks, Spotify et al always put a gap between tracks and sometimes
> decide to shuffle. Which can lead to a very unsatisfactory operatic
> listening experience! Even Idagio which is a classical-only streaming
> service does the artificial gap between tracks thing sometimes. Back to
> the CDs it is...
>
> I don't really mind Radio 3s bitty approach during the day - if I want
> to listen properly to a long symphony or opera then I find another way
> of doing it. The evening concerts are as whole as the concert organiser
> chooses. It really isn't like Classic FM - yet - even though the
> incessant trailers for other BBC progs are almost as annoying as the ads
> on Classic FM.

McT is becoming a very unhappy bunny with Auntie all round

Mrs McT

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<dhkboiped60ijgaeei2oat44clq3fnhf8v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19593&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19593

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 18:17:00 +0000
 by: Vicky - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 18:17 UTC

On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 14:44:07 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
<toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com> wrote:
>> On 21/12/2023 16:17, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>> In message <um1m8b$14f6j$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:39:54,
>>> Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com> writes
>>> []
>>> []
>>> []
>>>>
>>> I think very well-known pieces - especially pop - will come; I think if
>>> you asked for "Walking back to happiness", for example, you'd get it,
>>> possibly even by the right performer. (Say "sing <song title>".) [I
>>> don't have one so can't check.]
>>
>> I got a good talking to about signing up for a Prime or Music Unlimited
>> subscription if I wanted to request specific tracks. I'm sure she was
>> wagging her finger at me. When I asked for a genre (smooth jazz to be
>> specific - I didn't want to upset the neighbours) I got a
>> recommendation to sign up for a Prime or Music Unlimited subscription
>> and a threat to play ads; a threat she carried out.
>>

>…And another thing… when activating one of the echoes with a request to
>play a BBC radio channel - they have now added a boodly ‘sounds’ advert
>before providing the programme material - currently an advert for Jess
>Gillam -HARRUMPH.

They do those adverts before TA podcast too! And last night Alexa woke
B with songs at 3a.m and 5! With no record of it or of requests on the
record of it's activities.

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<um4mf8$1m4pv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19596&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19596

From: ian...@montaigne.me.uk (Iain Archer)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 19:02:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Iain Archer - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 19:02 UTC

On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 18:17:00 +0000, Vicky wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 14:44:07 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
> <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

[snip]

>>…And another thing… when activating one of the echoes with a request to
>>play a BBC radio channel - they have now added a boodly ‘sounds’ advert
>>before providing the programme material - currently an advert for Jess
>>Gillam -HARRUMPH.
>
> They do those adverts before TA podcast too! And last night Alexa woke B
> with songs at 3a.m and 5! With no record of it or of requests on the
> record of it's activities.

Erm... Do you think she might be infatuated?

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<H0mhN.7836$IfLe.281@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19600&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19600

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 20:08:06 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 20:08 UTC

On 22-Dec-23 0:23, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> writes:

>>> They’ll need to employ more key workers …
>>>
>> They have ended the perpetual job of painting the Forth Bridge, but
>> now have to de-padlock pedestrian bridges on a frequent basis, to
>> prevent the build-up of excessive weight.
>
> I believe the old Forth Bridge metaphor has been replaced, here in
> Scotland at least, by starting the laying of the next release of
> fibre-optic cabling as soon as the trench from the previous lot has been
> filled in.

I heard of a proposal to replace the white line up the middle of the
road with a zip.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<23tdoidvgo7o9seisq1hc04mpskhc8uqdm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19623&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19623

From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 14:54:14 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 14:54 UTC

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 23:44:19 +0000, Jenny M Benson
<NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>On 21/12/2023 16:13, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <um1kvh$147sm$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:18:09,
>> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
>> []
>>> Perhaps try the feed line ‘Weigh a Pie’ (Somewhere, over the rainbow)
>>>
>> https://255soft.uk/temp/weighpie.JPG
>
>I recently bought a couple of delicious Cottage Pie Pies from a stall on
>Mold Market. It turned out to be surprisingly difficult to make my
>sister understand that a Cottage Pie Pie was a Cottage Pie (basically
>minded beef under mashed potato) in a pastry case!

Perhaps she was still coming to terms with the concept of a Moldy
Cottage Pie (pie).

Nick

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<46tdoi5i63pvdd7nq4aqoe2ouoe8naknjg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19624&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19624

From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 14:56:13 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 14:56 UTC

On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:38:17 +0000, Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com>
wrote:

>On 21/12/2023 16:17, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <um1m8b$14f6j$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:39:54,
>> Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com> writes
>>> On 21/12/2023 14:42, Mike Ruddock wrote:
>> []
>> []
>> []
>>> I think she only plays specific pieces by name if you have a paid
>>> subscription to a music streaming site that she is linked to.
>>> Otherwise you can only get generic requests satisfied.
>>>
>> I think very well-known pieces - especially pop - will come; I think if
>> you asked for "Walking back to happiness", for example, you'd get it,
>> possibly even by the right performer. (Say "sing <song title>".) [I
>> don't have one so can't check.]
>
>I got a good talking to about signing up for a Prime or Music Unlimited
>subscription if I wanted to request specific tracks. I'm sure she was
>wagging her finger at me. When I asked for a genre (smooth jazz to be
>specific - I didn't want to upset the neighbours) I got a
>recommendation to sign up for a Prime or Music Unlimited subscription
>and a threat to play ads; a threat she carried out.

Would it be too confusing for her if you requested: "Alexa, play me
lots of advertisements."

Nick

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<_JOdnaAWwocnnhr4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19627&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19627

Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:58:52 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw...@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:58 UTC

On 22.12.23 00:23, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> writes:

>>> They’ll need to employ more key workers …
>>>
>> They have ended the perpetual job of painting the Forth Bridge, but
>> now have to de-padlock pedestrian bridges on a frequent basis, to
>> prevent the build-up of excessive weight.
>
> I believe the old Forth Bridge metaphor has been replaced, here in
> Scotland at least, by starting the laying of the next release of
> fibre-optic cabling as soon as the trench from the previous lot has been
> filled in.
>
> Rosie

We have had an outbreak of that around here. Does any use ZZoomm (or
whatever they are called)?

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<um71ck$24krg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19628&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19628

From: joe_k...@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 16:20:34 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 16:20 UTC

On 23/12/2023 14:56, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Dec 2023 11:38:17 +0000, Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 21/12/2023 16:17, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>> In message <um1m8b$14f6j$1@dont-email.me> at Thu, 21 Dec 2023 15:39:54,
>>> Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com> writes
>>> []
>>> []
>>> []
>>>>
>>> I think very well-known pieces - especially pop - will come; I think if
>>> you asked for "Walking back to happiness", for example, you'd get it,
>>> possibly even by the right performer. (Say "sing <song title>".) [I
>>> don't have one so can't check.]
>>
>> I got a good talking to about signing up for a Prime or Music Unlimited
>> subscription if I wanted to request specific tracks. I'm sure she was
>> wagging her finger at me. When I asked for a genre (smooth jazz to be
>> specific - I didn't want to upset the neighbours) I got a
>> recommendation to sign up for a Prime or Music Unlimited subscription
>> and a threat to play ads; a threat she carried out.
>
> Would it be too confusing for her if you requested: "Alexa, play me
> lots of advertisements."
>
> Nick

I'm not falling for that. She might oblige.

--
Ric

Re: Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)

<StBWy9D5GzhlFwWS@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19636&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19636

Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:15:05 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:15 UTC

In message <dhkboiped60ijgaeei2oat44clq3fnhf8v@4ax.com> at Fri, 22 Dec
2023 18:17:00, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
[]
>They do those adverts before TA podcast too! And last night Alexa woke
>B with songs at 3a.m and 5! With no record of it or of requests on the
>record of it's activities.

"Alexa, why did you play that now?" - you never know, might work.

"Bother," said the Borg, "we assimilated a Pooh."

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Are we still complaining about Alexa? (Other names are available)