From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Newsgroup spam
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 12:59:12 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 12:59 UTC

Berlin used to be brilliant at filtering out spam and I rarely saw any
in newsgroups, but just lately (since the TB upgrade which may or may
not have anything to do with it) uk.rec.gardening has had lots of it.
Not actually seeing any messages, just the list of threads and a message
that it can't be found.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Newsgroup spam

<um41i6$1iqg3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19584&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19584

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Newsgroup spam
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:05:09 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:05 UTC

On 22/12/2023 12:59, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> Berlin used to be brilliant at filtering out spam and I rarely saw any
> in newsgroups, but just lately (since the TB upgrade which may or may
> not have anything to do with it) uk.rec.gardening has had lots of it.
> Not actually seeing any messages, just the list of threads and a message
> that it can't be found.

I saw the same on the eternal-september server. I'm guessing there's an
assiduous cancelbot roaming the net.

john

Re: Newsgroup spam

<kulh5nFt1i7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19585&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19585

From: ste...@invalid.com (Steveski)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:27:19 +0000
 by: Steveski - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 13:27 UTC

On 22/12/2023 12:59, Jenny M Benson wrote:

> Berlin used to be brilliant at filtering out spam and I rarely saw any
> in newsgroups, but just lately (since the TB upgrade which may or may
> not have anything to do with it) uk.rec.gardening has had lots of it.
> Not actually seeing any messages, just the list of threads and a message
> that it can't be found.

MTAAW

--
Steveski

Re: Newsgroup spam

<5hmhN.84420$xHn7.30948@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19601&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19601

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 20:25:36 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 22 Dec 2023 20:25 UTC

On 22-Dec-23 13:27, Steveski wrote:
> On 22/12/2023 12:59, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>
>> Berlin used to be brilliant at filtering out spam and I rarely saw any
>> in newsgroups, but just lately (since the TB upgrade which may or may
>> not have anything to do with it) uk.rec.gardening has had lots of it.
>> Not actually seeing any messages, just the list of threads and a
>> message that it can't be found.
>
> MTAAW

I use a quite different server (Newshosting) which I _thought_ was
pretty good at winnowing the wheat from the chaff.
I just subscribed to uk.rec.gardening and downloaded the most recent
500ish headers (back to around the 25th November).
There might have been eight or ten genuine posts in all that mass of dross.
The last genuine thread seemed to have been started by "Janet"[1] on the
Subject "Persimmons" on the 18th December.

[1] Someone I recognise from another group.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Newsgroup spam

<eMPFayFDpzhlFw1$@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19644&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19644

Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:51:31 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:51 UTC

In message <kulh5nFt1i7U1@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 22 Dec 2023
13:27:19, Steveski <steve@invalid.com> writes
>On 22/12/2023 12:59, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>
>> Berlin used to be brilliant at filtering out spam and I rarely saw
>>any in newsgroups, but just lately (since the TB upgrade which may or
>>may not have anything to do with it) uk.rec.gardening has had lots of
>>it. Not actually seeing any messages, just the list of threads and a
>>message that it can't be found.
>
>MTAAW

I take the 'group eternal-september.support . Most of what's there goes
right over my head, but it's clear that Ray (who runs E-S) and the other
sysadmins work very hard at fighting spam, by constantly tweaking their
filters. The news that Google Groups is pulling out of usenet (from
sometime in February, IIRR) has been welcomed, as a lot of the spam
comes thence (dunno about your gardening lot).

Q. How much is 2 + 2?
A. Thank you so much for asking your question.
Are you still having this problem? I'll be delighted to help you. Please
restate the problem twice and include your Windows version along with
all error logs.
- Mayayana in alt.windows7.general, 2018-11-1