grasshopotomaus: A creature that can leap to tremendous heights... once.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: West Indies first Test squad:

SubjectAuthor
* West Indies first Test squad:max.it
`* Re: West Indies first Test squad:mike
 +* Re: West Indies first Test squad:max.it
 |`* Re: West Indies first Test squad:mike
 | `* Re: West Indies first Test squad:David North
 |  `- Re: West Indies first Test squad:mike
 `- Re: West Indies first Test squad:Robbert ter Hart

1
West Indies first Test squad:

<5uea1hpi2jilvqqovg4t2361jep9d4a9g3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19553&group=uk.sport.cricket#19553

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: West Indies first Test squad:
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 19:40:57 +0000
 by: max.it - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 19:40 UTC

West Indies first Test squad:

Kraigg Brathwaite (c),
Jermaine Blackwood (vc),
Nkrumah Bonner,
Shamarh Brooks,
John Campbell,
Joshua da Silva (wkt),
Jason Holder,
Alzarri Joseph,
Kyle Mayers,
Veerasammy Permaul,
Anderson Phillip,
Kemar Roach,
Jayden Seales

I can't say much apart from I recognise some of the names.

max.it

Re: West Indies first Test squad:

<6036c69a-2360-4227-b1ae-7bc94ecb48a3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19556&group=uk.sport.cricket#19556

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 14:11:56 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: West Indies first Test squad:
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 22:11 UTC

On Tuesday, February 22, 2022 at 7:41:02 PM UTC, max.it wrote:
> West Indies first Test squad:
>
> Kraigg Brathwaite (c),
> Jermaine Blackwood (vc),
> Nkrumah Bonner,
> Shamarh Brooks,
> John Campbell,
> Joshua da Silva (wkt),
> Jason Holder,
> Alzarri Joseph,
> Kyle Mayers,
> Veerasammy Permaul,
> Anderson Phillip,
> Kemar Roach,
> Jayden Seales
>
> I can't say much apart from I recognise some of the names.

yes thats about it for me too. Roach and Holder are the leading bowlers
obviously, but most of their batters mirror englands in that they barely
av more than 30. Mayers is a promising allrounder who made 210 on debut.
Seales also had quite a debut against PAk last year - i read today that hes
only played 7 FC games but 4 have been windies tests! DaSilva is the
chap who subbed in the test after the keeper got hit in the face back in
2020. Hes the first white to play for them in 50 years.

Windies got thrashed by RSA last year, and most of their matches at home
have been quite low scoring recently i think. However with quite a few leftys in
their batting, i wished we,d taken a off spinner. Root might have some
work to do, and maybe Lawrence should start practicing whatever he bowls.

mike

Re: West Indies first Test squad:

<u8pa1hdah2p3116iqclp6gbh5bh9nf2q88@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19557&group=uk.sport.cricket#19557

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 22:40:40 +0000
 by: max.it - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 22:40 UTC

On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 14:11:56 -0800 (PST), mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 22, 2022 at 7:41:02 PM UTC, max.it wrote:
>> West Indies first Test squad:
>>
>> Kraigg Brathwaite (c),
>> Jermaine Blackwood (vc),
>> Nkrumah Bonner,
>> Shamarh Brooks,
>> John Campbell,
>> Joshua da Silva (wkt),
>> Jason Holder,
>> Alzarri Joseph,
>> Kyle Mayers,
>> Veerasammy Permaul,
>> Anderson Phillip,
>> Kemar Roach,
>> Jayden Seales
>>
>> I can't say much apart from I recognise some of the names.
>>

>yes thats about it for me too. Roach and Holder are the leading bowlers
>obviously, but most of their batters mirror englands in that they barely
>av more than 30. Mayers is a promising allrounder who made 210 on debut.
>Seales also had quite a debut against PAk last year - i read today that hes
>only played 7 FC games but 4 have been windies tests! DaSilva is the
>chap who subbed in the test after the keeper got hit in the face back in
>2020. Hes the first white to play for them in 50 years.
>
>Windies got thrashed by RSA last year, and most of their matches at home
>have been quite low scoring recently i think. However with quite a few leftys in
>their batting, i wished we,d taken a off spinner. Root might have some
>work to do, and maybe Lawrence should start practicing whatever he bowls.
>
>mike

It's a shame they didn't have a test with Ireland during their recent
tour.
A headline I saw mentioned John Campbell being recalled. John Campbell
is a very common name around here.
Wasn't yer man Nash a person of pale?

Holder has been the backbone of WI for a good spell.

max.it

Re: West Indies first Test squad:

<f6e4c0ae-dffa-4bb5-9829-8cefd1db99b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19558&group=uk.sport.cricket#19558

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 14:59:16 -0800 (PST)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Tue, 22 Feb 2022 22:59 UTC

On Tuesday, February 22, 2022 at 10:40:45 PM UTC, max.it wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 14:11:56 -0800 (PST), mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
> >On Tuesday, February 22, 2022 at 7:41:02 PM UTC, max.it wrote:
> >> West Indies first Test squad:
> >>
> >> Kraigg Brathwaite (c),
> >> Jermaine Blackwood (vc),
> >> Nkrumah Bonner,
> >> Shamarh Brooks,
> >> John Campbell,
> >> Joshua da Silva (wkt),
> >> Jason Holder,
> >> Alzarri Joseph,
> >> Kyle Mayers,
> >> Veerasammy Permaul,
> >> Anderson Phillip,
> >> Kemar Roach,
> >> Jayden Seales
> >>
> >> I can't say much apart from I recognise some of the names.
> >>

> >yes thats about it for me too. Roach and Holder are the leading bowlers
> >obviously, but most of their batters mirror englands in that they barely
> >av more than 30. Mayers is a promising allrounder who made 210 on debut.
> >Seales also had quite a debut against PAk last year - i read today that hes
> >only played 7 FC games but 4 have been windies tests! DaSilva is the
> >chap who subbed in the test after the keeper got hit in the face back in
> >2020. Hes the first white to play for them in 50 years.
> >
> >Windies got thrashed by RSA last year, and most of their matches at home
> >have been quite low scoring recently i think. However with quite a few leftys in
> >their batting, i wished we,d taken a off spinner. Root might have some
> >work to do, and maybe Lawrence should start practicing whatever he bowls.
> >
> >mike
> It's a shame they didn't have a test with Ireland during their recent
> tour.
> A headline I saw mentioned John Campbell being recalled. John Campbell
> is a very common name around here.

hes mainly a odi player. bit like us playing Hales or Roy as test openers.

> Wasn't yer man Nash a person of pale?

Yes your right, i'd forgotten about nash. but as hes an oz perhaps i should have said
the first white born in windies to play for them in 50 etc, although now i've looked it up it
seems da silva could be actually mixed race, his father being trinidadian and his mum
being canadian, but he looks pretty white to me.

I noticed that ireland beat germany in a t20 tother day. I played a game in germany over 10
years ago, and apart from an irish and a saffy and me, the rest were all germans. But that
German team didnt look very german. I think they had andy blignaut [zimbab?] and Klein [RSA]
and the rest i spose could have been german born asians, but there wernt any other obvious
german names.

mike

Re: West Indies first Test squad:

<j7nm24FnfipU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19574&group=uk.sport.cricket#19574

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 21:08:20 +0000
 by: David North - Wed, 23 Feb 2022 21:08 UTC

On 22/02/2022 22:59, mike wrote:

> I noticed that ireland beat germany in a t20 tother day. I played a game in germany over 10
> years ago, and apart from an irish and a saffy and me, the rest were all germans. But that
> German team didnt look very german. I think they had andy blignaut [zimbab?]

Dylan Blignaut, from Port Elizabeth. (Andy played for Zimbabwe)

and Klein [RSA]
> and the rest i spose could have been german born asians, but there wernt any other obvious
> german names.

Justin Broad and Michael Richardson are also both from SA. Richardson is
the son of SA keeper Dave, and played for Durham for 10 years. Faisal
Mubashir is from Karachi, and played FC cricket in Pakistan until 5
years ago. Venkatraman Ganesan is from Chennai. CricketArchive does not
give the birthplaces of the others, nor list any matches they have
played other than for Germany.

--
David North

Re: West Indies first Test squad:

<9930de17-14b5-4b2f-ada6-047b19db9f0bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19582&group=uk.sport.cricket#19582

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 14:51:02 -0800 (PST)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 22:51 UTC

On Wednesday, February 23, 2022 at 9:08:21 PM UTC, nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk wrote:
> On 22/02/2022 22:59, mike wrote:
>
> > I noticed that ireland beat germany in a t20 tother day. I played a game in germany over 10
> > years ago, and apart from an irish and a saffy and me, the rest were all germans. But that
> > German team didnt look very german. I think they had andy blignaut [zimbab?]
> Dylan Blignaut, from Port Elizabeth. (Andy played for Zimbabwe)
> and Klein [RSA]
> > and the rest i spose could have been german born asians, but there wernt any other obvious
> > german names.
> Justin Broad and Michael Richardson are also both from SA. Richardson is
> the son of SA keeper Dave, and played for Durham for 10 years. Faisal
> Mubashir is from Karachi, and played FC cricket in Pakistan until 5
> years ago. Venkatraman Ganesan is from Chennai. CricketArchive does not
> give the birthplaces of the others, nor list any matches they have
> played other than for Germany.

I notice Germany had an easy win over the philippines today, but i dont think just
having a team of foreign mercenaries will 'grow' the game, although some will
point out all the safys we,ve picked over the years.

mike

Re: West Indies first Test squad:

<3f8d7237-abf0-4be3-b301-14eaebd044aan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19689&group=uk.sport.cricket#19689

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 03:17:06 -0800 (PST)
From: rterh...@gmail.com (Robbert ter Hart)
 by: Robbert ter Hart - Fri, 4 Mar 2022 11:17 UTC

Op dinsdag 22 februari 2022 om 23:11:57 UTC+1 schreef mike:

<snip>

> Windies got thrashed by RSA last year, and most of their matches at home
> have been quite low scoring recently i think. However with quite a few leftys in
> their batting, i wished we,d taken a off spinner. Root might have some
> work to do, and maybe Lawrence should start practicing whatever he bowls.
>
> mike

Leg spin, wasn't it? :-))

RtH