Nothing happens.

aus+uk / uk.rec.sheds / Re: Statin experiences

SubjectAuthor
* Statin experiencesJim the Geordie
+- Statin experiencesBrian Gaff
+* Statin experiencesBrian
|`* Statin experiencesSam Plusnet
| `* Statin experiencesRustyHinge
|  +* Statin experiencesRichard Robinson
|  |`* Statin experiencesSam Plusnet
|  | +- Statin experiencesNicholas D. Richards
|  | `* Statin experiencesAhem A Rivet's Shot
|  |  +- Statin experiencesmaus
|  |  `- Statin experiencesMike Fleming
|  `* Statin experiencesmaus
|   `* Statin experiencesJohn Williamson
|    `- Statin experiencesmaus
`- Statin experiencesMike Fleming

1
Statin experiences

<MPG.3e65586e8f50715b989717@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19628&group=uk.rec.sheds#19628

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim the Geordie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Statin experiences
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 11:52:47 -0000
 by: Jim the Geordie - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 11:52 UTC

I asked the folks in uk.people.siversurfers if they had experience of
statins. The answers were not all that reassuring.
It would be simply to lower cholesterol in my case, although cutting
down on the bacon rolls would probably do the same job. I also have
arthriticy knees that I don't want to be any achier.

--
Jim the Geordie

Re: Statin experiences

<ttftbb$2uqlk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19648&group=uk.rec.sheds#19648

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Subject: Re: Statin experiences
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 15:20:11 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 15:20 UTC

I guess you need to ask which ones and look at the side effects before you
worry.
I had a discussion on this, and it was decided, by me not to bother at my
age, as unless something catastrophic occurred, I'd probably die of
something else first.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Jim the Geordie" <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote in message

> I asked the folks in uk.people.siversurfers if they had experience of
> statins. The answers were not all that reassuring.
> It would be simply to lower cholesterol in my case, although cutting
> down on the bacon rolls would probably do the same job. I also have
> arthriticy knees that I don't want to be any achier.
>
> --
> Jim the Geordie

Re: Statin experiences

<ttg3mc$2ve9r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19650&group=uk.rec.sheds#19650

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:08:28 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:aGnqVAilOxKQ36XhVxst6bi1s6I=
 by: Brian - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:08 UTC

Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:

> I asked the folks in uk.people.siversurfers if they had experience of
> statins. The answers were not all that reassuring.
> It would be simply to lower cholesterol in my case, although cutting
> down on the bacon rolls would probably do the same job. I also have
> arthriticy knees that I don't want to be any achier.

Been taking them since 1997 - high cholesterol was spotted when I had a
nasty virus. No noticeable side effects. After I had a stroke in 2006- a
bleed- the Consultant mentioned I’d probably suffered less damage due to
the statins.

Not all high cholesterol is diet related. Some people are just prone to it.
At least, that is what I was told.

Re: Statin experiences

<n8OKL.264499$82jd.133853@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19653&group=uk.rec.sheds#19653

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 19:10:11 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 19:10 UTC

On 26-Feb-23 17:08, Brian wrote:
> Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I asked the folks in uk.people.siversurfers if they had experience of
>> statins. The answers were not all that reassuring.
>> It would be simply to lower cholesterol in my case, although cutting
>> down on the bacon rolls would probably do the same job. I also have
>> arthriticy knees that I don't want to be any achier.
>>

> Been taking them since 1997 - high cholesterol was spotted when I had a
> nasty virus. No noticeable side effects. After I had a stroke in 2006- a
> bleed- the Consultant mentioned I’d probably suffered less damage due to
> the statins.
>
> Not all high cholesterol is diet related. Some people are just prone to it.
> At least, that is what I was told.

True that.
SWMBO and I used to have, pretty much, the same diet.
Now I eschew dairy (and other saturated) fats, butter, full fat milk
etc. etc. I also take 30mg of Atorvastatin per day.

She sticks to a dairy-intensive diet.

Her cholesterol levels are well below mine - with no need for statins.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Statin experiences

<ttglol$31fr1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19664&group=uk.rec.sheds#19664

From: rusty.hi...@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 22:16:52 +0000
 by: RustyHinge - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 22:16 UTC

On 26/02/2023 19:10, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 26-Feb-23 17:08, Brian wrote:
>> Jim the Geordie <jim@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> I asked the folks in uk.people.siversurfers if they had experience of
>>> statins. The answers were not all that reassuring.
>>> It would be simply to lower cholesterol in my case, although cutting
>>> down on the bacon rolls would probably do the same job. I also have
>>> arthriticy knees that I don't want to be any achier.
>>>

>> Been taking them since 1997 - high cholesterol was spotted when I had a
>> nasty virus. No noticeable side effects. After I had a stroke in 2006- a
>> bleed- the Consultant mentioned I’d probably suffered less damage due to
>> the statins.
>>
>> Not all high cholesterol is diet related. Some people are just prone
>> to it.
>> At least, that is what I was told.
>
> True that.
> SWMBO and I used to have, pretty much, the same diet.
> Now I eschew dairy (and other saturated) fats, butter, full fat milk
> etc. etc.  I also take 30mg of Atorvastatin per day.
>
> She sticks to a dairy-intensive diet.
>
> Her cholesterol levels are well below mine - with no need for statins.

But then, IIRC dairy products have been shown to not cause the 'wrong'
sort of cholestorol.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Statin experiences

<ttgmh8$31e3d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19666&group=uk.rec.sheds#19666

From: rich...@qualmograph.org.uk (Richard Robinson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 22:30:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Richard Robinson - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 22:30 UTC

RustyHinge said:
> On 26/02/2023 19:10, Sam Plusnet wrote:

>>> Been taking them since 1997 - high cholesterol was spotted when I had a
>>> nasty virus. No noticeable side effects. After I had a stroke in 2006- a
>>> bleed- the Consultant mentioned I’d probably suffered less damage due to
>>> the statins.
>>>
>>> Not all high cholesterol is diet related. Some people are just prone
>>> to it.
>>> At least, that is what I was told.
>>
>> True that.
>> SWMBO and I used to have, pretty much, the same diet.
>> Now I eschew dairy (and other saturated) fats, butter, full fat milk
>> etc. etc.  I also take 30mg of Atorvastatin per day.
>>
>> She sticks to a dairy-intensive diet.
>>
>> Her cholesterol levels are well below mine - with no need for statins.
>
> But then, IIRC dairy products have been shown to not cause the 'wrong'
> sort of cholestorol.

Oh. I was about to say, I eat cheese and statins both.

Never mind, I won't let that put me off.

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

Re: Statin experiences

<k6256gF6b92U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19667&group=uk.rec.sheds#19667

From: mau...@mail.com (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 26 Feb 2023 22:36:00 GMT
 by: maus - Sun, 26 Feb 2023 22:36 UTC

On 2023-02-26, RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> On 26/02/2023 19:10, Sam Plusnet wrote:

>>> Been taking them since 1997 - high cholesterol was spotted when I had a
>>> nasty virus. No noticeable side effects. After I had a stroke in 2006- a
>>> bleed- the Consultant mentioned I’d probably suffered less damage due to
>>> the statins.
>>>
>>> Not all high cholesterol is diet related. Some people are just prone
>>> to it.
>>> At least, that is what I was told.
>>
>> True that.
>> SWMBO and I used to have, pretty much, the same diet.
>> Now I eschew dairy (and other saturated) fats, butter, full fat milk
>> etc. etc.  I also take 30mg of Atorvastatin per day.
>>
>> She sticks to a dairy-intensive diet.
>>
>> Her cholesterol levels are well below mine - with no need for statins.
>
> But then, IIRC dairy products have been shown to not cause the 'wrong'
> sort of cholestorol.

Its all bollix. All I know is that since the fake flu, there has been a
massive demand for dairy product, and a lot of farmers here are changing
to produce for it.

--
greymausg@mail.com
where is our money gone, Dude?

Re: Statin experiences

<k62hckF7ql6U7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19675&group=uk.rec.sheds#19675

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 02:04:04 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 02:04 UTC

On 26/02/2023 11:52, Jim the Geordie wrote:

> I asked the folks in uk.people.siversurfers if they had experience of
> statins. The answers were not all that reassuring.
> It would be simply to lower cholesterol in my case, although cutting
> down on the bacon rolls would probably do the same job. I also have
> arthriticy knees that I don't want to be any achier.

My cholesterols would have been fine if the numbers had been reversed.
I've been on simvastatin for the best part of 20 years with no ill
effects. SWMBO has also gone onto statins at her own request, as a
precautionary measure. She's got an arthritic knee and spondylosis,
neither of which seem to have been adversely affected, and I've got
dodgy hips (worn rather than arthritic) which are also unaffected.

Re: Statin experiences

<k63ac6FbmceU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19678&group=uk.rec.sheds#19678

From: johnwill...@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 09:10:30 +0000
 by: John Williamson - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 09:10 UTC

On 26/02/2023 22:36, maus wrote:

> Its all bollix. All I know is that since the fake flu, there has been a
> massive demand for dairy product, and a lot of farmers here are changing
> to produce for it.

Dunno where you are, farmers in the UK are going the other way, as the
stupidmarkets are refusing to pay them even cost price for what they
produce.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Statin experiences

<k63e1kFc7npU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19680&group=uk.rec.sheds#19680

From: mau...@mail.com (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 27 Feb 2023 10:13:08 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 10:13 UTC

On 2023-02-27, John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 26/02/2023 22:36, maus wrote:
>
>> Its all bollix. All I know is that since the fake flu, there has been a
>> massive demand for dairy product, and a lot of farmers here are changing
>> to produce for it.
>>
> Dunno where you are, farmers in the UK are going the other way, as the
> stupidmarkets are refusing to pay them even cost price for what they
> produce.

..ie Many farmers in the UK are tenants. Government here is dead against
cattle, global warming and all that crud.

--
greymausg@mail.com
where is our money gone, Dude?

Re: Statin experiences

<Pp7LL.362177$z9X.328820@fx05.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19692&group=uk.rec.sheds#19692

Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 19:22:23 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 19:22 UTC

On 26-Feb-23 22:30, Richard Robinson wrote:
> RustyHinge said:
>> On 26/02/2023 19:10, Sam Plusnet wrote:

>>> Her cholesterol levels are well below mine - with no need for statins.
>>
>> But then, IIRC dairy products have been shown to not cause the 'wrong'
>> sort of cholestorol.

Nope.

> Oh. I was about to say, I eat cheese and statins both.
>
> Never mind, I won't let that put me off.

I think it's more accurate to say:

There has been some evidence in recent studies which suggests that dairy
products are not the sole/major/summat else cause of...

Bottom line? It's complicated - and the jury is still out.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/nutrition/full-fat-dairy

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Statin experiences

<KZTd+UAUKR$jFAuA@salmiron.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19696&group=uk.rec.sheds#19696

From: nicho...@salmiron.com (Nicholas D. Richards)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 20:29:08 +0000
 by: Nicholas D. Richards - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 20:29 UTC

In article <Pp7LL.362177$z9X.328820@fx05.ams1>, Sam Plusnet
<not@home.com> on Mon, 27 Feb 2023 at 19:22:23 awoke Nicholas from his
slumbers and wrote
>On 26-Feb-23 22:30, Richard Robinson wrote:
>> RustyHinge said:

>>> But then, IIRC dairy products have been shown to not cause the 'wrong'
>>> sort of cholestorol.
>
>Nope.
>>
>> Oh. I was about to say, I eat cheese and statins both.
>>
>> Never mind, I won't let that put me off.
>>

>I think it's more accurate to say:
>
>There has been some evidence in recent studies which suggests that dairy
>products are not the sole/major/summat else cause of...
>
>Bottom line? It's complicated - and the jury is still out.
>
>https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/nutrition/full-
>fat-dairy

I have long suspected that hydrogenated fats pose a greater threat than
full fat products.

Fat reduced products like low fat yoghurt re usually sweetened to make
them palatable.

Mine dew milk and many yoghurts are out of the question for yours
truely, I am lactose intolerant. I read food labels very carefully.
That yummy cake may taste heavenly however it will, very quickly, make
me very uncomfortable and not very nice to be near, unless you suffer
from anosmia.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Où sont les neiges d'antan?"

Re: Statin experiences

<20230227201811.c331095121050df1bcbc788f@eircom.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19698&group=uk.rec.sheds#19698

From: ste...@eircom.net (Ahem A Rivet's Shot)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 20:18:11 +0000
 by: Ahem A Rivet's - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 20:18 UTC

On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 19:22:23 +0000
Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> There has been some evidence in recent studies which suggests that dairy
> products are not the sole/major/summat else cause of...

I do recall reading a paper where the experimenter fed people
cholesterol tagged with a radioactive tracer and found that none of the
cholesterol in their blood had the tracer. The conclusion was that we make
it all, we don't pass it from gut to blood.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Re: Statin experiences

<k64mmhFi3rpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19700&group=uk.rec.sheds#19700

From: mau...@mail.com (maus)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: 27 Feb 2023 21:46:57 GMT
 by: maus - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 21:46 UTC

On 2023-02-27, Ahem A Rivet's Shot <steveo@eircom.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 19:22:23 +0000
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>
>> There has been some evidence in recent studies which suggests that dairy
>> products are not the sole/major/summat else cause of...
>
> I do recall reading a paper where the experimenter fed people
> cholesterol tagged with a radioactive tracer and found that none of the
> cholesterol in their blood had the tracer. The conclusion was that we make
> it all, we don't pass it from gut to blood.

The answer, I think, is this Ice cream is full of crap. read the labels.

Yogurt is usually fairly pure.

Ihe Irish milk industry were co-ops, then they started to sell shares,
and now they are almost as bad as the supermarkets. there is very little
that you cannot produce cheaper, easier, and so on.

--
greymausg@mail.com
where is our money gone, Dude?

Re: Statin experiences

<k66l27FrbrqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19709&group=uk.rec.sheds#19709

From: mik...@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.sheds
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 15:31:18 +0000
 by: Mike Fleming - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 15:31 UTC

On 27/02/2023 20:18, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2023 19:22:23 +0000
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>
>> There has been some evidence in recent studies which suggests that dairy
>> products are not the sole/major/summat else cause of...
>
> I do recall reading a paper where the experimenter fed people
> cholesterol tagged with a radioactive tracer and found that none of the
> cholesterol in their blood had the tracer. The conclusion was that we make
> it all, we don't pass it from gut to blood.

Yes - something I learnt when I was working on a pathology system and
joked with one of the lab workers about his consumption of bacon and egg
sandwiches one lunchtime. The real culprit was my dad, for passing me
down his dodgy genes.