Darth Vader! Only you would be so bold! -- Princess Leia Organa

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?

SubjectAuthor
* P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?The safest gaven
+* Re: P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?GlowingBlueMist
|`* Re: P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?The safest gaven
| `- Re: P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?GlowingBlueMist
+* Re: P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?Theo
|`- Re: P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?The safest gaven
`* Re: P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?David
 +- Re: P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?The safest gaven
 `- Re: P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?Adrian Caspersz

1
P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?

<t0341n$1o66$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1975&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1975

From: s...@v.info (The safest gaven)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 20:03:02 -0000
 by: The safest gaven - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 20:03 UTC

I bought a p6t workstation for 50 quid with 12g ram i7 cpu vga and it came
with 2 wireless cards why would it have 2?

EDIMAX IEEE 802.11 N
BUFFALO AIR STATION WIRELESS G 802.11 G/B

One has 2 ariels the other has 1

Any ideas?

Re: P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?

<t04fnn$qm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1976&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1976

From: GlowingB...@blackhole.io (GlowingBlueMist)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 02:28:37 -0600
 by: GlowingBlueMist - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 08:28 UTC

On 3/6/2022 2:03 PM, The safest gaven wrote:
> I bought a p6t workstation for 50 quid with 12g ram i7 cpu vga and it
> came with 2 wireless cards why would it have 2?
>
> EDIMAX IEEE 802.11 N
> BUFFALO AIR STATION WIRELESS G 802.11 G/B
>
> One has 2 ariels the other has 1
>
> Any ideas?
The Buffalo supports B & G standard of WiFi while the Edimax supports
the N standard.

I suspect that either someone wanted to access two different wireless
networks that operated on the frequencies supported by the two cards or
they started out with the Buffalo and then added the Edimax when their
wireless hub was upgraded to the N standard, for faster data transfers.

Re: P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?

<t04g1d$46j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1977&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1977

From: s...@v.info (The safest gaven)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 08:33:48 -0000
 by: The safest gaven - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 08:33 UTC

--

Thanks you. This is the bit I thought of :-

then added the Edimax when their
wireless hub was upgraded to the N standard, for faster data transfers.
<<<<

I had never heard of the "N standard" so thanks for letting me know that is
the card I want to keep in it!

Re: P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?

<t04gej$e71$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1978&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1978

From: GlowingB...@blackhole.io (GlowingBlueMist)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 02:40:49 -0600
 by: GlowingBlueMist - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 08:40 UTC

On 3/7/2022 2:33 AM, The safest gaven wrote:
> I had never heard of the "N standard" so thanks for letting me know that
> is the card I want to keep in it!
The "N" standard will only work at speed if your wireless access point
or router supports that standard. Good thing is usually a "N" spec card
can automatically downgrade to run using the "G" standard if that is all
it finds to connect with.

Re: P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?

<q3k*6byIy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1980&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1980

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 07 Mar 2022 13:00:24 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Mon, 7 Mar 2022 13:00 UTC

The safest gaven <s@v.info> wrote:
> I bought a p6t workstation for 50 quid with 12g ram i7 cpu vga and it came
> with 2 wireless cards why would it have 2?
>
> EDIMAX IEEE 802.11 N
> BUFFALO AIR STATION WIRELESS G 802.11 G/B
>
> One has 2 ariels the other has 1

The Buffalo card is barely useful these days. Probably doesn't do WPA2 and
may slow down your other devices.

Perhaps they stuff them in boxes they sell to avoid having to dispose of it?
(Or there was a missing slot backplate and they didn't have a blanking
bracket to hand)

Theo

Re: P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?

<t07g7f$cl3$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1982&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1982

From: s...@v.info (The safest gaven)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 11:55:27 -0000
 by: The safest gaven - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 11:55 UTC

"Theo" wrote in message news:q3k*6byIy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk...

The safest gaven <s@v.info> wrote:
> I bought a p6t workstation for 50 quid with 12g ram i7 cpu vga and it came
> with 2 wireless cards why would it have 2?
>
> EDIMAX IEEE 802.11 N
> BUFFALO AIR STATION WIRELESS G 802.11 G/B
>
> One has 2 ariels the other has 1

The Buffalo card is barely useful these days. Probably doesn't do WPA2 and
may slow down your other devices.

Perhaps they stuff them in boxes they sell to avoid having to dispose of it?
(Or there was a missing slot backplate and they didn't have a blanking
bracket to hand)

Theo

--

Correct Theo the card could instantly see my router and had a full strength
signal but would not give me any internet.

The other card couldn't even pick up my router at all.

So I used an old Netgear wga v2 and was connected in seconds!

lol

Thanks folks!

Re: P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?

<j8p0h7F17t2U9@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1983&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1983

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 8 Mar 2022 12:29:27 GMT
 by: David - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 12:29 UTC

On Sun, 06 Mar 2022 20:03:02 +0000, The safest gaven wrote:

> I bought a p6t workstation for 50 quid with 12g ram i7 cpu vga and it
> came with 2 wireless cards why would it have 2?
>
> EDIMAX IEEE 802.11 N BUFFALO AIR STATION WIRELESS G 802.11 G/B
>
> One has 2 ariels the other has 1
>
> Any ideas?

One obvious use would be as a wireless repeater.

One card to talk to the router, the other to talk to a client which is out
of range of the router.

Could also be used as a firewall, or provide internal (fast) WiFi and an
external (free but slow) WiFi.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?

<t0b9t4$1t60$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1986&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1986

From: s...@v.info (The safest gaven)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 22:30:58 -0000
 by: The safest gaven - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 22:30 UTC

"David" wrote in message news:j8p0h7F17t2U9@mid.individual.net...

On Sun, 06 Mar 2022 20:03:02 +0000, The safest gaven wrote:

> I bought a p6t workstation for 50 quid with 12g ram i7 cpu vga and it
> came with 2 wireless cards why would it have 2?
>
> EDIMAX IEEE 802.11 N BUFFALO AIR STATION WIRELESS G 802.11 G/B
>
> One has 2 ariels the other has 1
>
> Any ideas?

One obvious use would be as a wireless repeater.

One card to talk to the router, the other to talk to a client which is out
of range of the router.

Could also be used as a firewall, or provide internal (fast) WiFi and an
external (free but slow) WiFi.

Cheers

Dave R

That Kind of clever stuff is beyond me Dave! :)

Re: P6T WS why 2 wireless cards?

<j8u50uF4napU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1987&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1987

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 11:16:46 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 11:16 UTC

On 08/03/2022 12:29, David wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2022 20:03:02 +0000, The safest gaven wrote:
>
>> I bought a p6t workstation for 50 quid with 12g ram i7 cpu vga and it
>> came with 2 wireless cards why would it have 2?
>>
>> EDIMAX IEEE 802.11 N BUFFALO AIR STATION WIRELESS G 802.11 G/B
>>
>> One has 2 ariels the other has 1
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> One obvious use would be as a wireless repeater.
>
> One card to talk to the router, the other to talk to a client which is out
> of range of the router.
>
> Could also be used as a firewall, or provide internal (fast) WiFi and an
> external (free but slow) WiFi.

Possible the workstation equipment was being used in a business where
something legacy was already installed, and someone in IT did not have
the time or understanding to integrate that with whatever new fangled
addition they were adding for the newer wireless card.

--
Adrian C