CHUBBY CHECKER just had a CHICKEN SANDWICH in downtown DULUTH!

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / 2nd test Barbados

SubjectAuthor
* 2nd test Barbadosmike
`* Re: 2nd test Barbadosmike
 `* Re: 2nd test BarbadosJohn Hall
  `* Re: 2nd test Barbadosmike
   `* Re: 2nd test BarbadosJohn Hall
    `* Re: 2nd test Barbadosmike
     `* Re: 2nd test BarbadosJohn Hall
      `* Re: 2nd test BarbadosDavid North
       +* Re: 2nd test Barbadosmike
       |`* Re: 2nd test BarbadosJohn Hall
       | +* Re: 2nd test Barbadosmax.it
       | |`- Re: 2nd test Barbadosmike
       | `* Re: 2nd test Barbadosmike
       |  +- Re: 2nd test BarbadosJohn Hall
       |  `- Re: 2nd test BarbadosDavid North
       `- Re: 2nd test BarbadosJohn Hall

1
2nd test Barbados

<97e4148c-5c79-41cd-b960-71342c566914n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19899&group=uk.sport.cricket#19899

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 06:13:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: 2nd test Barbados
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 13:13 UTC

Wood a doubt after not bowling in the 2nd at Antigua. Apparently
hes bowled 112 overs in tests this winter taken 14 wkts. so if
hes rested its a q of either a newbie or risking Robinson. Wish
theyd taken Broad even though his record in windies is not
that great.

mike

Re: 2nd test Barbados

<a3a9b2ed-fd5c-48ca-96a1-9004641b5bb2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19929&group=uk.sport.cricket#19929

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 08:10:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: 2nd test Barbados
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 15:10 UTC

On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 1:13:15 PM UTC, mike wrote:
> Wood a doubt after not bowling in the 2nd at Antigua. Apparently
> hes bowled 112 overs in tests this winter taken 14 wkts. so if
> hes rested its a q of either a newbie or risking Robinson. Wish
> theyd taken Broad even though his record in windies is not
> that great.
>
> mike

Overton ill as well, so our bowling is Woakes Mahmood Fisher
stokes and leach. Should Stokes open the bowling as the most
experienced/senior bowler in this ragtag outfit? And creepy gets
a duck immediately. We could get rolled this time.

mike

Re: 2nd test Barbados

<fiNnANCFrlMiFwj6@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19941&group=uk.sport.cricket#19941

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 21:46:45 +0000
 by: John Hall - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 21:46 UTC

In message <a3a9b2ed-fd5c-48ca-96a1-9004641b5bb2n@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 1:13:15 PM UTC, mike wrote:
>> Wood a doubt after not bowling in the 2nd at Antigua. Apparently
>> hes bowled 112 overs in tests this winter taken 14 wkts. so if
>> hes rested its a q of either a newbie or risking Robinson. Wish
>> theyd taken Broad even though his record in windies is not
>> that great.
>>
>> mike
>
>Overton ill as well, so our bowling is Woakes Mahmood Fisher
>stokes and leach. Should Stokes open the bowling as the most
>experienced/senior bowler in this ragtag outfit? And creepy gets
>a duck immediately. We could get rolled this time.

Nostradamus you ain't. :)

Lees' innings was obviously very valuable to the side, but I have to
confess to being relieved when he was out. The rest of the day was much
more enjoyable to watch. It's a pity that Lawrence didn't get what would
have been a well-deserved century.

Given the docility of the pitch, I have a feeling this match could
finish as another draw. Let's hope that the pitch for the third Test has
a bit more life in it.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,

Re: 2nd test Barbados

<65430ee3-80fb-460b-9d26-c6d310576859n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19942&group=uk.sport.cricket#19942

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 15:05:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 22:05 UTC

On Wednesday, March 16, 2022 at 9:52:22 PM UTC, John Hall wrote:
> In message <a3a9b2ed-fd5c-48ca...@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 1:13:15 PM UTC, mike wrote:
> >> Wood a doubt after not bowling in the 2nd at Antigua. Apparently
> >> hes bowled 112 overs in tests this winter taken 14 wkts. so if
> >> hes rested its a q of either a newbie or risking Robinson. Wish
> >> theyd taken Broad even though his record in windies is not
> >> that great.
> >>
> >> mike
> >
> >Overton ill as well, so our bowling is Woakes Mahmood Fisher
> >stokes and leach. Should Stokes open the bowling as the most
> >experienced/senior bowler in this ragtag outfit? And creepy gets
> >a duck immediately. We could get rolled this time.
> Nostradamus you ain't. :)

i hope not but its only the 1st day ;)

> Lees' innings was obviously very valuable to the side, but I have to
> confess to being relieved when he was out. The rest of the day was much
> more enjoyable to watch. It's a pity that Lawrence didn't get what would
> have been a well-deserved century.

very glad root won the toss on what looks another flat wkt, and pity
for Lawrence who brought some attacking flair but with two 4s in the
last over, wasnt that enough, but he got suckered going for another.

all 1 can say about lees is that having seen his partner go early he made
sure he stayed in til root was firmly established.

> Given the docility of the pitch, I have a feeling this match could
> finish as another draw. Let's hope that the pitch for the third Test has
> a bit more life in it.

yes i hope that root and co can go on 2morow to something big cos i doubt
its going to be any easier to bowl out windies on this track than the last.

its a bit strange cos looking at the windies home tests recently it seemed
many were pitches that suited the bolwers and batters struggled.

mike

Re: 2nd test Barbados

<64TOm+A8ivMiFwmt@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19956&group=uk.sport.cricket#19956

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 09:00:44 +0000
 by: John Hall - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 09:00 UTC

In message <65430ee3-80fb-460b-9d26-c6d310576859n@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On Wednesday, March 16, 2022 at 9:52:22 PM UTC, John Hall wrote:
<snip>

>> Given the docility of the pitch, I have a feeling this match could
>> finish as another draw. Let's hope that the pitch for the third Test has
>> a bit more life in it.
>
>yes i hope that root and co can go on 2morow to something big cos i doubt
>its going to be any easier to bowl out windies on this track than the last.
>
>its a bit strange cos looking at the windies home tests recently it seemed
>many were pitches that suited the bolwers and batters struggled.
>
>mike

I wonder if the WICB/ground authorities are keen for that Tests against
England to go the full five days to maximise gate receipts, especially
given that Covid means this is the first chance to have full grounds for
a while. And maybe the various countries' tourist boards too, as if a
Test finishes early there's a risk of the Barmies leaving the island
early and so spending less in the local restaurants, bars and
entertainment venues. That would be less imortant against teams other
than England, as they usually don't have nearly as many travelling
supporters.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: 2nd test Barbados

<bc29be37-97e1-40cd-92bd-a748d44aead7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19974&group=uk.sport.cricket#19974

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 15:35:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 22:35 UTC

On Thursday, March 17, 2022 at 9:07:39 AM UTC, John Hall wrote:
> In message <65430ee3-80fb-460b...@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >On Wednesday, March 16, 2022 at 9:52:22 PM UTC, John Hall wrote:
> <snip>
> >>
> >> Given the docility of the pitch, I have a feeling this match could
> >> finish as another draw. Let's hope that the pitch for the third Test has
> >> a bit more life in it.
> >
> >yes i hope that root and co can go on 2morow to something big cos i doubt
> >its going to be any easier to bowl out windies on this track than the last.
> >
> >its a bit strange cos looking at the windies home tests recently it seemed
> >many were pitches that suited the bolwers and batters struggled.
> >
> >mike
> I wonder if the WICB/ground authorities are keen for that Tests against
> England to go the full five days to maximise gate receipts, especially
> given that Covid means this is the first chance to have full grounds for
> a while. And maybe the various countries' tourist boards too, as if a
> Test finishes early there's a risk of the Barmies leaving the island
> early and so spending less in the local restaurants, bars and
> entertainment venues. That would be less imortant against teams other
> than England, as they usually don't have nearly as many travelling
> supporters.

maybe thats why Grenada gets a test and jamaica doesnt. or are they
rebuilding the kingston ground?

the barmies certainly were in party/holiday mood when the okseys were batting.

nice 4 fisher to get a wkt so early but this is not a wkt youd want a debut on.
neither he or mahmud look much more than mid 80s on this. there was a bit
of turn but this looks even more likely a draw than the last.

mike

Re: 2nd test Barbados

<sX$o0aB+jFNiFwvH@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19985&group=uk.sport.cricket#19985

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 10:03:42 +0000
 by: John Hall - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 10:03 UTC

In message <bc29be37-97e1-40cd-92bd-a748d44aead7n@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On Thursday, March 17, 2022 at 9:07:39 AM UTC, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <65430ee3-80fb-460b...@googlegroups.com>,
>> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> >On Wednesday, March 16, 2022 at 9:52:22 PM UTC, John Hall wrote:
>> <snip>

>> >yes i hope that root and co can go on 2morow to something big cos i doubt
>> >its going to be any easier to bowl out windies on this track than the last.
>> >
>> >its a bit strange cos looking at the windies home tests recently it seemed
>> >many were pitches that suited the bolwers and batters struggled.
>> >
>> >mike
>> I wonder if the WICB/ground authorities are keen for that Tests against
>> England to go the full five days to maximise gate receipts, especially
>> given that Covid means this is the first chance to have full grounds for
>> a while. And maybe the various countries' tourist boards too, as if a
>> Test finishes early there's a risk of the Barmies leaving the island
>> early and so spending less in the local restaurants, bars and
>> entertainment venues. That would be less imortant against teams other
>> than England, as they usually don't have nearly as many travelling
>> supporters.
>
>maybe thats why Grenada gets a test and jamaica doesnt. or are they
>rebuilding the kingston ground?

One of the commentators - I think it might have been Ian Bishop -
suggested that that was why tourist-friendly countries like Grenada
tended to be awarded Tests nowadays in preference to the traditional
venues such as Jamaica, Trinidad and Guyana.

>the barmies certainly were in party/holiday mood when the okseys were batting.

"okseys" is a word I haven't come across before. Does in refer to
England?

>nice 4 fisher to get a wkt so early but this is not a wkt youd want a debut on.
>neither he or mahmud look much more than mid 80s on this.

No, though I thought that Fisher, in particular, looked pretty good, and
both of them were probably better than Woakes.

> there was a bit
>of turn but this looks even more likely a draw than the last.
>
>mike

There is a bit more bounce to be had than in Antigua. There also might
be some reverse swing to be had later on, but if anyone wins it for
England it seems likely to be Leach.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: 2nd test Barbados

<5b9188b2-df49-4f8b-8b9b-fdc8503dcdabn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19987&group=uk.sport.cricket#19987

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 06:40:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
 by: David North - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 13:40 UTC

On Friday, 18 March 2022 at 10:08:49 UTC, John Hall wrote:
> In message <bc29be37-97e1-40cd...@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >the barmies certainly were in party/holiday mood when the okseys were batting.
> "okseys" is a word I haven't come across before. Does in refer to
> England?

I came to the conclusion that it meant those whose surnames rhyme with "oaks",
---
David North

Re: 2nd test Barbados

<f32b470e-3179-43fa-9fca-1f108637c50en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19990&group=uk.sport.cricket#19990

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 09:49:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 16:49 UTC

On Friday, March 18, 2022 at 2:43:45 PM UTC, Mike Holmans wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 06:40:56 -0700 (PDT), David North
> <nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >On Friday, 18 March 2022 at 10:08:49 UTC, John Hall wrote:
> >> In message <bc29be37-97e1-40cd...@googlegroups.com>,
> >> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >> "okseys" is a word I haven't come across before. Does in refer to
> >> England?
> >
> >I came to the conclusion that it meant those whose surnames rhyme with "oaks",
> Shouldn't that be "blokes"?

yes i should have said the oakseys. stokes woakes & foakes.

Mahmood has bowled pretty well on debut on this pitch, bit of uneven bounce creeping in.
Leach not that impressive, there is turn but hes doesnt vary much his line of attack. It
was the same in india last year. The indie chap axar bowled both sides of the wicket
with many variations, leach just did the same old thing.

mike

Re: 2nd test Barbados

<Mn7gGCByCNNiFwIp@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19995&group=uk.sport.cricket#19995

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 18:34:26 +0000
 by: John Hall - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 18:34 UTC

In message <5b9188b2-df49-4f8b-8b9b-fdc8503dcdabn@googlegroups.com>,
David North <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>On Friday, 18 March 2022 at 10:08:49 UTC, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <bc29be37-97e1-40cd...@googlegroups.com>,
>> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> >the barmies certainly were in party/holiday mood when the okseys
>> >were batting.
>> "okseys" is a word I haven't come across before. Does in refer to
>> England?
>
>I came to the conclusion that it meant those whose surnames rhyme with "oaks",

Ah yes! I should have realised that.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: 2nd test Barbados

<P3CgScBXGNNiFwI2@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19996&group=uk.sport.cricket#19996

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 18:38:15 +0000
 by: John Hall - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 18:38 UTC

In message <f32b470e-3179-43fa-9fca-1f108637c50en@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>Mahmood has bowled pretty well on debut on this pitch, bit of uneven
>bounce creeping in. Leach not that impressive, there is turn but hes
>doesnt vary much his line of attack. It was the same in india last
>year. The indie chap axar bowled both sides of the wicket with many
>variations, leach just did the same old thing.

David Gower on BT Sport felt that Leach needed to vary his path more, as
when he bowled the occasional delivery 5-10 kph slower than his usual
90kph or so the ball seemed to turn quite a bit more. (Incidentally,
Gower's commentating on this series has shown how premature Sky were to
get rid of him a year or two ago.)
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: 2nd test Barbados

<fsn93ht56ef7n094g7cusidgesq726gm2i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19997&group=uk.sport.cricket#19997

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 19:53:29 +0000
References: <fiNnANCFrlMiFwj6@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <65430ee3-80fb-460b-9d26-c6d310576859n@googlegroups.com> <64TOm+A8ivMiFwmt@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <bc29be37-97e1-40cd-92bd-a748d44aead7n@googlegroups.com> <sX$o0aB+jFNiFwvH@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <5b9188b2-df49-4f8b-8b9b-fdc8503dcdabn@googlegroups.com> <gj693hd9f8iro60o1ntju421c57v1e3kiv@4ax.com> <f32b470e-3179-43fa-9fca-1f108637c50en@googlegroups.com> <P3CgScBXGNNiFwI2@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
 by: max.it - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 19:53 UTC

On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 18:38:15 +0000, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <f32b470e-3179-43fa-9fca-1f108637c50en@googlegroups.com>,
>mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>Mahmood has bowled pretty well on debut on this pitch, bit of uneven
>>bounce creeping in. Leach not that impressive, there is turn but hes
>>doesnt vary much his line of attack. It was the same in india last
>>year. The indie chap axar bowled both sides of the wicket with many
>>variations, leach just did the same old thing.
>
>David Gower on BT Sport felt that Leach needed to vary his path more, as
>when he bowled the occasional delivery 5-10 kph slower than his usual
>90kph or so the ball seemed to turn quite a bit more. (Incidentally,
>Gower's commentating on this series has shown how premature Sky were to
>get rid of him a year or two ago.)

We never subscribed to BT sport in protest of them hijacking Ulster
rugby and now they broadcast most of the bloody cricket.

I've noticed since these broadcast deals have been sort of club
personalised. I can only watch Ulster rugby at home on BT, but I like
to listen to Radio Ulster comms Jim Nealey is brilliant.
When I try to watch Ulster at home via RTE online there is a
geo-block. Ulster v Leinster 30 miles from my house and in the same
'jurisdiction', geo blocked and no radio comms.I listened to one on
the Irish language radio station, it was easy enough to understand as
long as the action didn't get to fast.
I can watch on tv via the $ky box but I don't have a tv here in the
secret lab,and anyway I sit down far too much already ;-)

max.it

Re: 2nd test Barbados

<94424aba-0c67-4954-a13c-6b5d619fbf6cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19999&group=uk.sport.cricket#19999

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 13:45:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Fri, 18 Mar 2022 20:45 UTC

On Friday, March 18, 2022 at 7:53:40 PM UTC, max.it wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 18:38:15 +0000, John Hall
> <john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >In message <f32b470e-3179-43fa...@googlegroups.com>,
> >mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >>Mahmood has bowled pretty well on debut on this pitch, bit of uneven

and he bowls bwood with a no ball. does this just happen to england bowlers,
cos it seems to almost every test. I think there were 37 nbs in the last 3 tests
[PakvsOz, Indvs SL, Eng vs WI] wonder how many took a wkt?

anyway looks like a bore draw. now we know why Anders&Broad were left out.
as TMS said, england must have known the pitches were gonna be flat, and
realised this might kill their aged legs.

mike

Re: 2nd test Barbados

<76e1253c-cdb4-4e6c-952b-691a621ca80bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20022&group=uk.sport.cricket#20022

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 15:41:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 22:41 UTC

On Friday, March 18, 2022 at 6:42:19 PM UTC, John Hall wrote:
> In message <f32b470e-3179-43fa...@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >Mahmood has bowled pretty well on debut on this pitch, bit of uneven
> >bounce creeping in. Leach not that impressive, there is turn but hes
> >doesnt vary much his line of attack. It was the same in india last
> >year. The indie chap axar bowled both sides of the wicket with many
> >variations, leach just did the same old thing.
> David Gower on BT Sport felt that Leach needed to vary his path more, as
> when he bowled the occasional delivery 5-10 kph slower than his usual
> 90kph or so the ball seemed to turn quite a bit more.

i thought leachs 69 overs must be the most bowled by an engalnd bowler since
cartwright in that awful match at manchester in 60s but apparently tufnell
bowled 71 against NZ in 1992.

Stokes has bowled a total of 70 overs in 3 innings, which i think is more than
he bowled in the ashes. hope hes not overdoing it ): they said he'd only bowled
more than 29 overs in an innings once before in a test.

but this is not the game to advertise modern day test cricket. it seems like
a throwback to the 50s and 60s.
mike

Re: 2nd test Barbados

<3yyZGvAg8uNiFw+q@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20026&group=uk.sport.cricket#20026

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 09:08:48 +0000
<P3CgScBXGNNiFwI2@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<76e1253c-cdb4-4e6c-952b-691a621ca80bn@googlegroups.com>
 by: John Hall - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 09:08 UTC

In message <76e1253c-cdb4-4e6c-952b-691a621ca80bn@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
<snip>
>Stokes has bowled a total of 70 overs in 3 innings, which i think is
>more than he bowled in the ashes. hope hes not overdoing it ): they
>said he'd only bowled more than 29 overs in an innings once before in a
>test.

The problem is that Stokes is so keen that it must be very hard to stop
him overdoing it.

>but this is not the game to advertise modern day test cricket. it seems
>like a throwback to the 50s and 60s.

It does rather. It's a pity that this isn't a six-day Test as, with the
pitch slowly deteriorating, we could have had an exciting finish.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: 2nd test Barbados

<j9ocf0FsvlbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20028&group=uk.sport.cricket#20028

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 10:03:11 +0000
<P3CgScBXGNNiFwI2@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<76e1253c-cdb4-4e6c-952b-691a621ca80bn@googlegroups.com>
 by: David North - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 10:03 UTC

On 19/03/2022 22:41, mike wrote:
> On Friday, March 18, 2022 at 6:42:19 PM UTC, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <f32b470e-3179-43fa...@googlegroups.com>,
>> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>>> Mahmood has bowled pretty well on debut on this pitch, bit of uneven
>>> bounce creeping in. Leach not that impressive, there is turn but hes
>>> doesnt vary much his line of attack. It was the same in india last
>>> year. The indie chap axar bowled both sides of the wicket with many
>>> variations, leach just did the same old thing.
>> David Gower on BT Sport felt that Leach needed to vary his path more, as
>> when he bowled the occasional delivery 5-10 kph slower than his usual
>> 90kph or so the ball seemed to turn quite a bit more.
>
> i thought leachs 69 overs must be the most bowled by an engalnd bowler since
> cartwright in that awful match at manchester in 60s but apparently tufnell
> bowled 71 against NZ in 1992.

Yes, I remember that, and Hick bowled 69 (but not the extra .5 that
Leach bowled). They bowled in tandem for 77 consecutive overs from the
110th until the 3rd new ball was taken after 186. DeFreitas must have
picked up an injury, as he didn't bowl again after bowling 8 of the
first 20 overs. That was also the match when Syd Lawrence bust his knee.

69.5 is the most overs bowled in any innings for Eng v WI, surpassing
the 63 by Tony Lock at Port of Spain in 1953/54, and the most by anyone
v WI since Hedley Howarth's 74 at Bridgetown in 1971/72.

> Stokes has bowled a total of 70 overs in 3 innings, which i think is more than
> he bowled in the ashes.

Yes, 63.3 in the Ashes series.

> hope hes not overdoing it ): they said he'd only bowled
> more than 29 overs in an innings once before in a test.

Yes, 34 v India at TB in 2014. He also bowled 29 v Aus at The Oval in 2015.

--
David North