Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been. -- Mark Twain

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Q about aomei putting xp on ssd

SubjectAuthor
* Q about aomei putting xp on ssdThe safest gaven
+* Re: Q about aomei putting xp on ssdAbandoned_Trolley
|`* Re: Q about aomei putting xp on ssdAdrian Caspersz
| `* Re: Q about aomei putting xp on ssdAbandoned_Trolley
|  `- Re: Q about aomei putting xp on ssdJaimie Vandenbergh
+- Re: Q about aomei putting xp on ssdJaimie Vandenbergh
`- Re: Q about aomei putting xp on ssdGlowingBlueMist

1
Q about aomei putting xp on ssd

<t0r25t$1e6r$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2015&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2015

From: s...@v.info (The safest gaven)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Q about aomei putting xp on ssd
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 21:58:37 -0000
 by: The safest gaven - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 21:58 UTC

I used this software to clone a backup of win xp onto an ssd which worked
perfect but it split the drive into

1. A partition just slightly bigger than the backup approx 189gb
2. An empty partition of the remaining blank space about 30 odd gb

I have no idea why and I can't find anything about it on google.

Anyone know if I can reclaim this space and expand the xp partition back to
the available 223gb on the 240gb adata ssd

Re: Q about aomei putting xp on ssd

<t0s830$d2j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2016&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2016

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Q about aomei putting xp on ssd
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 08:45:20 +0000
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 08:45 UTC

On 15/03/2022 21:58, The safest gaven wrote:
> I used this software to clone a backup of win xp onto an ssd which
> worked perfect but it split the drive into
>
> 1. A partition just slightly bigger than the backup approx 189gb
> 2. An empty partition of the remaining blank space about 30 odd gb
>
> I have no idea why and I can't find anything about it on google.
>
> Anyone know if I can reclaim this space and expand the xp partition back
> to the available 223gb on the 240gb adata ssd

Have you installed Service Pack 3 ?

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Q about aomei putting xp on ssd

<j9eakdF8asU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2017&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2017

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 16 Mar 2022 14:30:37 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 14:30 UTC

On 15 Mar 2022 at 21:58:37 GMT, ""The safest gaven"" <s@v.info> wrote:

> I used this software to clone a backup of win xp onto an ssd which worked
> perfect but it split the drive into
>
> 1. A partition just slightly bigger than the backup approx 189gb
> 2. An empty partition of the remaining blank space about 30 odd gb

Never used that tool, but most partition cloners have an "expand to fill
space?" option to tick. If you don't, you'll get the situation you have.

> Anyone know if I can reclaim this space and expand the xp partition back to
> the available 223gb on the 240gb adata ssd

Either go look for that tickbox and reclone, or the tool might have a
'resize partitions' feature, many do.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
BANACH TARSKI is an anagram of BANACH TARSKI BANACH TARSKI

Re: Q about aomei putting xp on ssd

<j9eddkFoe7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2018&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2018

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 15:18:11 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 15:18 UTC

On 16/03/2022 08:45, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:
> On 15/03/2022 21:58, The safest gaven wrote:
>> I used this software to clone a backup of win xp onto an ssd which
>> worked perfect but it split the drive into
>
> Have you installed Service Pack 3 ?

?

Back in the day, Service pack 3 sure fixed security bugs but also got
blame for slowing machines down.

Today, if someone is using XP - is there much benefit of SP3 over
earlier? Especially for users that have taken pains to isolate their
machines from the internet and malware?

--
Adrian C

Re: Q about aomei putting xp on ssd

<t0svg5$grc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2019&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2019

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 15:24:52 +0000
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 15:24 UTC

> Back in the day, Service pack 3 sure fixed security bugs but also got
> blame for slowing machines down.
>
> Today, if someone is using XP - is there much benefit of SP3 over
> earlier? Especially for users that have taken pains to isolate their
> machines from the internet and malware?

I was under the impression that there was a mid-life upgrade to XP which
allowed / forced it to use 48 bit LBNs - extending the size of an
individual disk beyond 137GB (or whatever)

Also .... no mention (yet) of SATA / SSD drivers for XP ?

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Q about aomei putting xp on ssd

<j9efotF17ctU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2020&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2020

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 16 Mar 2022 15:58:21 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 15:58 UTC

On 16 Mar 2022 at 15:24:52 GMT, "Abandoned_Trolley"
<fred@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote:

>> Back in the day, Service pack 3 sure fixed security bugs but also got
>> blame for slowing machines down.
>>
>> Today, if someone is using XP - is there much benefit of SP3 over
>> earlier? Especially for users that have taken pains to isolate their
>> machines from the internet and malware?
>>

> I was under the impression that there was a mid-life upgrade to XP which
> allowed / forced it to use 48 bit LBNs - extending the size of an
> individual disk beyond 137GB (or whatever)
>
> Also .... no mention (yet) of SATA / SSD drivers for XP ?

I *think* you're thinking of Win2k, with those limits.

XPsp2 is fine with SATA and up to 2TB 512k-block HDDs, and SSD doesn't
look any different from HDD as far as XP cares.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is
dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas A. Edison

Re: Q about aomei putting xp on ssd

<t0totr$j66$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2021&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2021

From: GlowingB...@blackhole.io (GlowingBlueMist)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 17:38:49 -0500
 by: GlowingBlueMist - Wed, 16 Mar 2022 22:38 UTC

On 3/15/2022 4:58 PM, The safest gaven wrote:
> I used this software to clone a backup of win xp onto an ssd which
> worked perfect but it split the drive into
>
> 1. A partition just slightly bigger than the backup approx 189gb
> 2. An empty partition of the remaining blank space about 30 odd gb
>
> I have no idea why and I can't find anything about it on google.
>
> Anyone know if I can reclaim this space and expand the xp partition back
> to the available 223gb on the 240gb adata ssd
>
> I use the free version of EaseUS Partition Master, which is still
supported all the way back to XP.
https://www.easeus.com/download/epmf-download.html
Click either of the the big blue buttons with "Free Download" in it.
The rest are to try and get you to purchase a paid version of it.

They will require an email address to send the actual download link info to.

With that program you can grow the existing bootable partition until it
takes up all the drive or even a second partition with it's own drive
letter.