From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: If what you see doesn't match what you are being told.
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 18:53:35 +0100
 by: max.it - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:53 UTC

Joe Root.
"I feel there's the support of the dressing room behind me and I'm
desperate to see them smile and celebrating because we don't feel that
far away."

It's the last part that bothers me. A series loss and a 10 wicket
defeat to WI. I'm not sure how far away from what Joe actually means.
They weren't very far away from an innings defeat.

England should have an annual early season test against Ireland. They
would probably win anyway and be able to treat it as a warm up for
whoever is touring. The tourists could play a match too and both
England and tourist playing the same opposition in matches would give
them a decent idea of each other, and it wouldn't do Ireland any harm
either.

max.it

Re: If what you see doesn't match what you are being told.

<ja914ht9t4kv45oqn9jgnhfnjkqabl2g36@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20216&group=uk.sport.cricket#20216

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 18:59:34 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:59 UTC

On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 18:53:35 +0100, max.it <max@tea.time> wrote:

>Joe Root.
>"I feel there's the support of the dressing room behind me and I'm
>desperate to see them smile and celebrating because we don't feel that
>far away."
>
>It's the last part that bothers me. A series loss and a 10 wicket
>defeat to WI. I'm not sure how far away from what Joe actually means.
>They weren't very far away from an innings defeat.

True, but they generally played rather better cricket than they did in
Aus. What they really need is a captain who's got some tactical nous
and some interest in pushing a game forward rather than watching what
happens.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: If what you see doesn't match what you are being told.

<kbc14htqv327e5lm16tp9arqjhunevlief@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20217&group=uk.sport.cricket#20217

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 19:56:15 +0100
 by: max.it - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 18:56 UTC

On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 18:59:34 +0100, Mike Holmans <spam@jackalope.uk>
wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 18:53:35 +0100, max.it <max@tea.time> wrote:
>

>>Joe Root.
>>"I feel there's the support of the dressing room behind me and I'm
>>desperate to see them smile and celebrating because we don't feel that
>>far away."
>>
>>It's the last part that bothers me. A series loss and a 10 wicket
>>defeat to WI. I'm not sure how far away from what Joe actually means.
>>They weren't very far away from an innings defeat.
>
>True, but they generally played rather better cricket than they did in
>Aus. What they really need is a captain who's got some tactical nous
>and some interest in pushing a game forward rather than watching what
>happens.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Mike

They have plenty of cricketing ability. The captain is lost, but
haven't we heard about good teams winning regardless of crap captains?
Joe just hasn't grown into the job, or even appeared to learn it on
the hoof.
Remember the 'funky field settings' when he was first captain. This
was seen as a innovation of sorts at the time.

I don't really qualify to comment because all I get to see these days
is the online clips and analysis and the usually more informative
opinions that are presented here.

max.it

Re: If what you see doesn't match what you are being told.

<14cktp4ioxelj$.g09sxgtp9hdk.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20218&group=uk.sport.cricket#20218

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 05:42:34 +1000
 by: alvey - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 19:42 UTC

On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 19:56:15 +0100, max.it wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 18:59:34 +0100, Mike Holmans <spam@jackalope.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 18:53:35 +0100, max.it <max@tea.time> wrote:
>>

>>>Joe Root.
>>>"I feel there's the support of the dressing room behind me and I'm
>>>desperate to see them smile and celebrating because we don't feel that
>>>far away."
>>>
>>>It's the last part that bothers me. A series loss and a 10 wicket
>>>defeat to WI. I'm not sure how far away from what Joe actually means.
>>>They weren't very far away from an innings defeat.
>>
>>True, but they generally played rather better cricket than they did in
>>Aus. What they really need is a captain who's got some tactical nous
>>and some interest in pushing a game forward rather than watching what
>>happens.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Mike
>
> They have plenty of cricketing ability. The captain is lost, but
> haven't we heard about good teams winning regardless of crap captains?
> Joe just hasn't grown into the job, or even appeared to learn it on
> the hoof.
> Remember the 'funky field settings' when he was first captain. This
> was seen as a innovation of sorts at the time.
>
> I don't really qualify to comment because all I get to see these days
> is the online clips

Shirley you must be able to stream games from most places?

alvey

Re: If what you see doesn't match what you are being told.

<jof14hpp5hbha2hmt5vjh172ciqufqmtcp@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20219&group=uk.sport.cricket#20219

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 20:56:39 +0100
 by: max.it - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 19:56 UTC

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 05:42:34 +1000, alvey <alvey@is.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 19:56:15 +0100, max.it wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 18:59:34 +0100, Mike Holmans <spam@jackalope.uk>
>> wrote:

>>>True, but they generally played rather better cricket than they did in
>>>Aus. What they really need is a captain who's got some tactical nous
>>>and some interest in pushing a game forward rather than watching what
>>>happens.
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>
>>>Mike
>>
>> They have plenty of cricketing ability. The captain is lost, but
>> haven't we heard about good teams winning regardless of crap captains?
>> Joe just hasn't grown into the job, or even appeared to learn it on
>> the hoof.
>> Remember the 'funky field settings' when he was first captain. This
>> was seen as a innovation of sorts at the time.
>>
>> I don't really qualify to comment because all I get to see these days
>> is the online clips
>
>Shirley you must be able to stream games from most places?
>

>alvey

I could pay for a BT subscription, but BT is the reason that Ulster
rugby coverage is screwed so we decline to be held hostage by a
corporation.
There are a few cricketing tourists coming to Ireland this season. The
India fixtures are 'subject to licence'.
Note Bristol is now in Ireland, ' alright my cock ;-)

“Our thanks to the Afghanistan Cricket Board for their support in
getting this series approved.”

Ireland v Afghanistan men’s T20I series
9 August: Ireland v Afghanistan, 1st T20I (Stormont)
11 August: Ireland v Afghanistan, 2nd T20I (Stormont)
12 August: Ireland v Afghanistan, 3rd T20I (Stormont)
15 August: Ireland v Afghanistan, 4th T20I (Stormont)
17 August: Ireland v Afghanistan, 5th T20I (Stormont)

Other fixtures in Ireland Men’s international schedule this summer

Ireland Men v India Men T20I series
Sunday 26 June: Ireland v India, 1st T20I (Malahide) *
Tuesday 28 June: Ireland v India, 2nd T20I (Malahide) *
* Subject to licence

Ireland Men v New Zealand Men series

Sunday 10 July: Ireland v New Zealand, 1st ODI (Malahide)
Tuesday 12 July: Ireland v New Zealand, 2nd ODI (Malahide)
Friday 15 July: Ireland v New Zealand, 3rd ODI (Malahide)
Monday 18 July: Ireland v New Zealand, 1st T20I (Stormont)
Wednesday 20 July: Ireland v New Zealand, 2nd T20I (Stormont)
Friday 22 July: Ireland v New Zealand, 3rd T20I (Stormont)

Ireland Men v South Africa Men T20I series

Wednesday 3 August: Ireland v South Africa, 1st T20I (Bristol)
Friday 5 August: Ireland v South Africa, 2nd T20I (Bristol)

max.it