Power tends to corrupt, absolute power corrupts absolutely. -- Lord Acton

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?

SubjectAuthor
* Anything worth doing with this laptop?JoeJoe
+* Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?Theo
|`* Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?JoeJoe
| `* Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?Theo
|  `* Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?JoeJoe
|   `* Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?GB
|    `* Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?The safest gaven
|     `- Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?JoeJoe
+* Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?David
|`* Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?JoeJoe
| `- Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?David
`- Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?RobH

1
Anything worth doing with this laptop?

<z62dnZoD2IY1QIr_nZ2dnUU7-ffNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1940&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1940

Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 19:33:59 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
Subject: Anything worth doing with this laptop?
 by: JoeJoe - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 19:33 UTC

Daughter managed to damage her laptop, a Dell Latitude 7280.

The screen flickers, there is some overlap of what's on it, and there is
some physical damage in one corner - a black section around 2 x cm (the
screen is intact, but clearly something is not right under the glass).

It has an i7 processor, 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM, and is otherwise in very
good condition. The battery still holds charge for many hours.

I like a challenge and was thinking about replacing the screen myself
and keeping if as a spare (already bought her a new one), but they are
definitely not cheap to buy, and it could well be something else too
(overlap and flickering suggest a possible problem with the integrated
video "card").

Plan is to try and get a few ten of pounds on eBay. Am I missing a
trick? Seems a shame to effectively giving it away...

Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?

<oLf*5KFHy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1941&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1941

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?
Date: 24 Feb 2022 20:04:54 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 20:04 UTC

JoeJoe <no@mail.com> wrote:
> I like a challenge and was thinking about replacing the screen myself
> and keeping if as a spare (already bought her a new one), but they are
> definitely not cheap to buy, and it could well be something else too
> (overlap and flickering suggest a possible problem with the integrated
> video "card").
>
> Plan is to try and get a few ten of pounds on eBay. Am I missing a
> trick? Seems a shame to effectively giving it away...

67 quid for the screen:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273022263084

Used machines start at £120 on ebay (slightly lower specs).

If you took a punt on the screen, I guess that would probably fix it. The
iGPU is in the processor, so I doubt it would boot if something was
seriously wrong. Another thing to try is a RAM test and swap the RAM
around, since the DIMM is being used for video RAM.

Another option is to part it out - the SSD and RAM would be salvageable,
probably other bits like the battery, wifi card, charger etc.

Or use it headless / using an external monitor?

Finally, the wildcard solution... the laptop uses eDP (embedded Displayport)
to talk to the panel. It's not a very good panel (1366x768) so... upgrade
it. Maybe you can find a panel of matching size with better specs, and get
a cable to fit. I've not done this, but it appears to be a 12.5" 16:9 panel
and, if the connectors are right, I think eDP is plug and play the way
mainstream Displayport is. For example (a cheap 1366x768):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363468271855
or FHD:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185302046840
(*not* a recommendation - DYOR)

Theo

Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?

<2KidnW-wY7WJiYX_nZ2dnUU7-UvNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1942&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1942

Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 23:26:11 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
 by: JoeJoe - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 23:26 UTC

On 24/02/2022 20:04, Theo wrote:
> JoeJoe <no@mail.com> wrote:
>> I like a challenge and was thinking about replacing the screen myself
>> and keeping if as a spare (already bought her a new one), but they are
>> definitely not cheap to buy, and it could well be something else too
>> (overlap and flickering suggest a possible problem with the integrated
>> video "card").
>>
>> Plan is to try and get a few ten of pounds on eBay. Am I missing a
>> trick? Seems a shame to effectively giving it away...
>
> 67 quid for the screen:
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273022263084
>
> Used machines start at £120 on ebay (slightly lower specs).
>
> If you took a punt on the screen, I guess that would probably fix it. The
> iGPU is in the processor, so I doubt it would boot if something was
> seriously wrong. Another thing to try is a RAM test and swap the RAM
> around, since the DIMM is being used for video RAM.
>
> Another option is to part it out - the SSD and RAM would be salvageable,
> probably other bits like the battery, wifi card, charger etc.
>
> Or use it headless / using an external monitor?
>
> Finally, the wildcard solution... the laptop uses eDP (embedded Displayport)
> to talk to the panel. It's not a very good panel (1366x768) so... upgrade
> it. Maybe you can find a panel of matching size with better specs, and get
> a cable to fit. I've not done this, but it appears to be a 12.5" 16:9 panel
> and, if the connectors are right, I think eDP is plug and play the way
> mainstream Displayport is. For example (a cheap 1366x768):
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363468271855
> or FHD:
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185302046840
> (*not* a recommendation - DYOR)
>
> Theo

This is the screen. The physical damage, as far as I can tell, is a sort
of triangle shape, right at the top of the screen to the right of the
camera in the photo.

Not in the photo, but there seems to be a second image of what is
displayed on the screen - overlapping it and slightly higher than the
original. So everything appears twice.

https://ibb.co/w68BB7s

Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?

<oLf*fEIHy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1943&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1943

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 25 Feb 2022 09:15:02 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 09:15 UTC

JoeJoe <no@mail.com> wrote:
> This is the screen. The physical damage, as far as I can tell, is a sort
> of triangle shape, right at the top of the screen to the right of the
> camera in the photo.
>
> Not in the photo, but there seems to be a second image of what is
> displayed on the screen - overlapping it and slightly higher than the
> original. So everything appears twice.
>
> https://ibb.co/w68BB7s

That looks like the panel is damaged. I can't think of a way that a damaged
cable or damaged iGPU/RAM would cause effects like that.

Theo

Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?

<7vKdnYQtEo4BNYX_nZ2dnUU7-Q_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1944&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1944

Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 09:59:57 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
 by: JoeJoe - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 09:59 UTC

On 25/02/2022 09:15, Theo wrote:
> JoeJoe <no@mail.com> wrote:
>> This is the screen. The physical damage, as far as I can tell, is a sort
>> of triangle shape, right at the top of the screen to the right of the
>> camera in the photo.
>>
>> Not in the photo, but there seems to be a second image of what is
>> displayed on the screen - overlapping it and slightly higher than the
>> original. So everything appears twice.
>>
>> https://ibb.co/w68BB7s
>
> That looks like the panel is damaged. I can't think of a way that a damaged
> cable or damaged iGPU/RAM would cause effects like that.
>
> Theo

Makes sense. Thanks again!

Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?

<svajqj$i71$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1945&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1945

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.invalid (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 12:59:01 +0000
 by: GB - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 12:59 UTC

On 25/02/2022 09:59, JoeJoe wrote:
> On 25/02/2022 09:15, Theo wrote:
>> JoeJoe <no@mail.com> wrote:
>>> This is the screen. The physical damage, as far as I can tell, is a sort
>>> of triangle shape, right at the top of the screen to the right of the
>>> camera in the photo.
>>>
>>> Not in the photo, but there seems to be a second image of what is
>>> displayed on the screen - overlapping it and slightly higher than the
>>> original. So everything appears twice.
>>>
>>> https://ibb.co/w68BB7s
>>
>> That looks like the panel is damaged.  I can't think of a way that a
>> damaged
>> cable or damaged iGPU/RAM would cause effects like that.
>>
>> Theo
>

> Makes sense.  Thanks again!

Have you yet tried an external monitor?

Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?

<t033lu$1ild$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1974&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1974

From: s...@v.info (The safest gaven)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 19:56:45 -0000
 by: The safest gaven - Sun, 6 Mar 2022 19:56 UTC

Are you insured for accidental damage in your policy?

"GB" wrote in message news:svajqj$i71$1@dont-email.me...

On 25/02/2022 09:59, JoeJoe wrote:
> On 25/02/2022 09:15, Theo wrote:
>> JoeJoe <no@mail.com> wrote:
>>> This is the screen. The physical damage, as far as I can tell, is a sort
>>> of triangle shape, right at the top of the screen to the right of the
>>> camera in the photo.
>>>
>>> Not in the photo, but there seems to be a second image of what is
>>> displayed on the screen - overlapping it and slightly higher than the
>>> original. So everything appears twice.
>>>
>>> https://ibb.co/w68BB7s
>>
>> That looks like the panel is damaged. I can't think of a way that a
>> damaged
>> cable or damaged iGPU/RAM would cause effects like that.
>>
>> Theo
>

> Makes sense. Thanks again!

Have you yet tried an external monitor?

Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?

<j8p0kgF17t2U10@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1984&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1984

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 8 Mar 2022 12:31:12 GMT
 by: David - Tue, 8 Mar 2022 12:31 UTC

On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 19:33:59 +0000, JoeJoe wrote:

> Daughter managed to damage her laptop, a Dell Latitude 7280.
>
> The screen flickers, there is some overlap of what's on it, and there is
> some physical damage in one corner - a black section around 2 x cm (the
> screen is intact, but clearly something is not right under the glass).
>
> It has an i7 processor, 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM, and is otherwise in very
> good condition. The battery still holds charge for many hours.
>
> I like a challenge and was thinking about replacing the screen myself
> and keeping if as a spare (already bought her a new one), but they are
> definitely not cheap to buy, and it could well be something else too
> (overlap and flickering suggest a possible problem with the integrated
> video "card").
>
> Plan is to try and get a few ten of pounds on eBay. Am I missing a
> trick? Seems a shame to effectively giving it away...

Please let the group know if/when you list it.

I might be interested for spares.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?

<j8riohFk3h4U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1985&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1985

From: rob...@despammer.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 11:52:49 +0000
 by: RobH - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 11:52 UTC

On 24/02/2022 19:33, JoeJoe wrote:
> Daughter managed to damage her laptop, a Dell Latitude 7280.
>
> The screen flickers, there is some overlap of what's on it, and there is
> some physical damage in one corner - a black section around 2 x cm (the
> screen is intact, but clearly something is not right under the glass).
>
> It has an i7 processor, 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM, and is otherwise in very
> good condition. The battery still holds charge for many hours.
>
> I like a challenge and was thinking about replacing the screen myself
> and keeping if as a spare (already bought her a new one), but they are
> definitely not cheap to buy, and it could well be something else too
> (overlap and flickering suggest a possible problem with the integrated
> video "card").
>
> Plan is to try and get a few ten of pounds on eBay. Am I missing a
> trick?  Seems a shame to effectively giving it away...

If you get the exact model number of the laptop , you can get a new
screen from ebay. I've done it a few times to replace broken screens.

Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?

<WaSdnULFl_Cj3a7_nZ2dnUU7-NmdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2022&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2022

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 14:05:51 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
 by: JoeJoe - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 14:05 UTC

On 06/03/2022 19:56, The safest gaven wrote:
> Are you insured for accidental damage in your policy?
>

> "GB"  wrote in message news:svajqj$i71$1@dont-email.me...
>
> On 25/02/2022 09:59, JoeJoe wrote:

>>> That looks like the panel is damaged.  I can't think of a way that a
>>> damaged
>>> cable or damaged iGPU/RAM would cause effects like that.
>>>
>>> Theo
>>

>> Makes sense.  Thanks again!
>

> Have you yet tried an external monitor?

I did. It worked, so assumed that it was just the screen.

Couldn't find a cheap one anywhere so put it on eBay and it sold for
nearly £150. Considering that it was bought for around £300 3 years ago
and has worked very hard ever since, I was happy with it, and bought a
near-latest version of the same to replace it.

Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?

<WaSdnX3Fl_DA3a7_nZ2dnUU7-NmdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2023&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2023

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 14:06:21 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
 by: JoeJoe - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 14:06 UTC

On 08/03/2022 12:31, David wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 19:33:59 +0000, JoeJoe wrote:
>
>> Daughter managed to damage her laptop, a Dell Latitude 7280.
>>
>> The screen flickers, there is some overlap of what's on it, and there is
>> some physical damage in one corner - a black section around 2 x cm (the
>> screen is intact, but clearly something is not right under the glass).
>>
>> It has an i7 processor, 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM, and is otherwise in very
>> good condition. The battery still holds charge for many hours.
>>
>> I like a challenge and was thinking about replacing the screen myself
>> and keeping if as a spare (already bought her a new one), but they are
>> definitely not cheap to buy, and it could well be something else too
>> (overlap and flickering suggest a possible problem with the integrated
>> video "card").
>>
>> Plan is to try and get a few ten of pounds on eBay. Am I missing a
>> trick? Seems a shame to effectively giving it away...
>
> Please let the group know if/when you list it.
>
> I might be interested for spares.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Oops... Too late now

Re: Anything worth doing with this laptop?

<j9h6ggFcgp8U5@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2024&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2024

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 17 Mar 2022 16:38:40 GMT
 by: David - Thu, 17 Mar 2022 16:38 UTC

On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 14:06:21 +0000, JoeJoe wrote:

> On 08/03/2022 12:31, David wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 19:33:59 +0000, JoeJoe wrote:
>>
>>> Daughter managed to damage her laptop, a Dell Latitude 7280.
>>>
>>> The screen flickers, there is some overlap of what's on it, and there
>>> is some physical damage in one corner - a black section around 2 x cm
>>> (the screen is intact, but clearly something is not right under the
>>> glass).
>>>
>>> It has an i7 processor, 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM, and is otherwise in very
>>> good condition. The battery still holds charge for many hours.
>>>
>>> I like a challenge and was thinking about replacing the screen myself
>>> and keeping if as a spare (already bought her a new one), but they are
>>> definitely not cheap to buy, and it could well be something else too
>>> (overlap and flickering suggest a possible problem with the integrated
>>> video "card").
>>>
>>> Plan is to try and get a few ten of pounds on eBay. Am I missing a
>>> trick? Seems a shame to effectively giving it away...
>>
>> Please let the group know if/when you list it.
>>
>> I might be interested for spares.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Dave R
>>
> Oops... Too late now