"There is such a fine line between genius and stupidity." -- David St. Hubbins, "Spinal Tap"

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Director, Coach, Captain

SubjectAuthor
* Director, Coach, Captainmax.it
+- Re: Director, Coach, Captainmike
`* Re: Director, Coach, CaptainJohn Hall
 +- Re: Director, Coach, CaptainMike Holmans
 +* Re: Director, Coach, CaptainRH
 |`* Re: Director, Coach, CaptainJohn Hall
 | +* Re: Director, Coach, CaptainMike Holmans
 | |`* Re: Director, Coach, CaptainJohn Hall
 | | `* Re: Director, Coach, CaptainMike Holmans
 | |  +* Re: Director, Coach, CaptainAndy Walker
 | |  |+- Re: Director, Coach, CaptainMike Holmans
 | |  |`- Re: Director, Coach, CaptainRH
 | |  +- Re: Director, Coach, CaptainHamish Laws
 | |  `* Re: Director, Coach, CaptainJohn Hall
 | |   `- Re: Director, Coach, Captainjack fredricks
 | `- Re: Director, Coach, CaptainRH
 `* Re: Director, Coach, CaptainMoriarty
  `- Re: Director, Coach, CaptainJeff Urs

1
Director, Coach, Captain

<f7s64hlfbqr9iu1cld3pcl1uppkl7d9vr5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20255&group=uk.sport.cricket#20255

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Director, Coach, Captain
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 21:53:49 +0100
 by: max.it - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 20:53 UTC

Nasser suggests.

Rob Key as director.
Ricky Ponting as coach.
Ben Stokes as captain.

What do you think?
Is it even possible?

max.it

Re: Director, Coach, Captain

<e9718fb1-e1e0-4c77-85e4-3812c46a4f37n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20256&group=uk.sport.cricket#20256

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 14:06:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Director, Coach, Captain
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 21:06 UTC

On Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 9:53:56 PM UTC+1, max.it wrote:
> Nasser suggests.
>
> Rob Key as director.
> Ricky Ponting as coach.
> Ben Stokes as captain.
>
> What do you think?
> Is it even possible?

i cant imagine that those 3 would get on at all. if theyre gonna
appoint an oz, i suggest they approach 1 with a proven coaching
record like langer, although he might not gel with the players
either, especially the older ones like anderson and broad, that
is if their england careers are not over. theyre probably glad they
missed the windies tour. but actually i thought gary kirsten is
the no1 target for the coach job?

perhaps they could appoint vaughan as non playing captain and he
could instruct root, or whoever, what to do when the going gets tough by
sign language or semaphore, since he always knows what england
should have done ;)

mike

Re: Director, Coach, Captain

<qB6PhUBrNCRiFw+H@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20268&group=uk.sport.cricket#20268

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 10:31:23 +0100
 by: John Hall - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 09:31 UTC

In message <f7s64hlfbqr9iu1cld3pcl1uppkl7d9vr5@4ax.com>, max. it
<max@tea.time> writes

>Nasser suggests.
>
>Rob Key as director.
>Ricky Ponting as coach.
>Ben Stokes as captain.
>
>What do you think?
>Is it even possible?

I like Rob Key, but AFAIK he has zero experience of running anything.
From what I've seen of him on TV, I suspect that the job wouldn't be a
good fit. Ideally I'd like to see Andrew Strauss doing the job
full-time, if they can just persuade him to do so.

Ponting would I imagine do a good job as coach, but the current
favourite seems to be Langer, who I think would also do a good job.

Stokes would probably be excellent at the motivational side of the
captain's job, but I wonder how tactically astute he is. Also given his
past record, I'd be worried that he might get involved in some
off-the-field incident that would lead to his losing the job - though to
be fair he seems to be more mature now than he was when he was younger.
Given his enthusiasm, I'd also be concerned that he might over-bowl
himself (even more than he is already), leading to his injuring himself.
I would favour Stuart Broad, who from what I've seen seems far more
astute than most of the England side, whilst recognising that if he got
the job it could only be a short-term solution.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,

Re: Director, Coach, Captain

<cqb84h9c0aqntc4096lqkuoanof389tegb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20271&group=uk.sport.cricket#20271

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:59:09 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 10:59 UTC

On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 10:31:23 +0100, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <f7s64hlfbqr9iu1cld3pcl1uppkl7d9vr5@4ax.com>, max. it
><max@tea.time> writes
>>
>>Nasser suggests.
>>
>>Rob Key as director.
>>Ricky Ponting as coach.
>>Ben Stokes as captain.
>>
>>What do you think?
>>Is it even possible?
>
>I like Rob Key, but AFAIK he has zero experience of running anything.
> From what I've seen of him on TV, I suspect that the job wouldn't be a
>good fit. Ideally I'd like to see Andrew Strauss doing the job
>full-time, if they can just persuade him to do so.

Strauss won't. Key got very interested in the management side when he
was Kent captain, for what that's worth - but I'd expect it to be a
steep learning curve to be given the reins.

>Ponting would I imagine do a good job as coach, but the current
>favourite seems to be Langer, who I think would also do a good job.

I have an unreasonable prejudice against Langer. Since it's
unreasonable, there's no point in attempting to give any sensible
justification.

Other than that, I have no particular suggestion.

>Stokes would probably be excellent at the motivational side of the
>captain's job, but I wonder how tactically astute he is. Also given his
>past record, I'd be worried that he might get involved in some
>off-the-field incident that would lead to his losing the job - though to
>be fair he seems to be more mature now than he was when he was younger.
>Given his enthusiasm, I'd also be concerned that he might over-bowl
>himself (even more than he is already), leading to his injuring himself.
>I would favour Stuart Broad, who from what I've seen seems far more
>astute than most of the England side, whilst recognising that if he got
>the job it could only be a short-term solution.

Stokes did admirably with a team of substitutes as white-ball captain
against Pakistan. I've got mild concerns about his fitness, and it's
not unknown for all-rounders to do rather badly as captains (Botham,
Flintoff), although there's also been the odd success (Imran Khan).

I'm not convinced that a short-term solution is a good idea. I'd like
new coach and new captain to have a good prospect of working together
continuously for three years: that gives them time to establish a
culture and purpose - as Morgan and Bayliss did with the white-ball
team.

So if Stokes isn't the right man for some reason, I'd have to go for
Billings.

Protests that we'd lose the brilliance of Foakes's keeping won't cut
much ice with me, I'm afraid. I have been watching too much women's
cricket to be impressed with a guy who stands bolt upright with his
arm in the air appealing for lbw while the ball trickles off to fine
leg, in one case conceding a leg bye or two, and doesn't seem to pull
off any impressive dismissals. He's had several opportunities to take
great catches or sharp stumpings, but hasn't succeeded on any of them,
as far as I can remember.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Director, Coach, Captain

<0b9177dd-0c02-4df8-8eeb-5248b72a0193n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20274&group=uk.sport.cricket#20274

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 05:56:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:56 UTC

On Wednesday, March 30, 2022 at 10:39:50 AM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <f7s64hlfbqr9iu1cl...@4ax.com>, max. it
> <m...@tea.time> writes
> >
> >Nasser suggests.
> >
> >Rob Key as director.
> >Ricky Ponting as coach.
> >Ben Stokes as captain.
> >
> >What do you think?
> >Is it even possible?
> I like Rob Key, but AFAIK he has zero experience of running anything.

He was captain of Kent for years... RH

> From what I've seen of him on TV, I suspect that the job wouldn't be a
> good fit. Ideally I'd like to see Andrew Strauss doing the job
> full-time, if they can just persuade him to do so.
>
> Ponting would I imagine do a good job as coach, but the current
> favourite seems to be Langer, who I think would also do a good job.
>
> Stokes would probably be excellent at the motivational side of the
> captain's job, but I wonder how tactically astute he is. Also given his
> past record, I'd be worried that he might get involved in some
> off-the-field incident that would lead to his losing the job - though to
> be fair he seems to be more mature now than he was when he was younger.
> Given his enthusiasm, I'd also be concerned that he might over-bowl
> himself (even more than he is already), leading to his injuring himself.
> I would favour Stuart Broad, who from what I've seen seems far more
> astute than most of the England side, whilst recognising that if he got
> the job it could only be a short-term solution.
> --
> John Hall
> "Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
> But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
> Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Strauss as director.
Farbrace as coach
Stokes as captain

RH

Re: Director, Coach, Captain

<i7qcczAUfHRiFws2@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20275&group=uk.sport.cricket#20275

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 16:31:32 +0100
 by: John Hall - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 15:31 UTC

In message <0b9177dd-0c02-4df8-8eeb-5248b72a0193n@googlegroups.com>, RH
<anywhere156@gmail.com> writes
>On Wednesday, March 30, 2022 at 10:39:50 AM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <f7s64hlfbqr9iu1cl...@4ax.com>, max. it
>> <m...@tea.time> writes
>> >
>> >Nasser suggests.
>> >
>> >Rob Key as director.
>> >Ricky Ponting as coach.
>> >Ben Stokes as captain.
>> >
>> >What do you think?
>> >Is it even possible?
>> I like Rob Key, but AFAIK he has zero experience of running anything.
>
>He was captain of Kent for years... RH

I know, but that's a very different job.

>> From what I've seen of him on TV, I suspect that the job wouldn't be a
>> good fit. Ideally I'd like to see Andrew Strauss doing the job
>> full-time, if they can just persuade him to do so.
>>
>> Ponting would I imagine do a good job as coach, but the current
>> favourite seems to be Langer, who I think would also do a good job.
>>
>> Stokes would probably be excellent at the motivational side of the
>> captain's job, but I wonder how tactically astute he is. Also given his
>> past record, I'd be worried that he might get involved in some
>> off-the-field incident that would lead to his losing the job - though to
>> be fair he seems to be more mature now than he was when he was younger.
>> Given his enthusiasm, I'd also be concerned that he might over-bowl
>> himself (even more than he is already), leading to his injuring himself.
>> I would favour Stuart Broad, who from what I've seen seems far more
>> astute than most of the England side, whilst recognising that if he got
>> the job it could only be a short-term solution.
>
>Strauss as director.
>Farbrace as coach
>Stokes as captain

Unfortunately Farbrace has said he doesn't want the job.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: Director, Coach, Captain

<ar794hdes8rmr0bjhdhs27jvhr2q29pomi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20282&group=uk.sport.cricket#20282

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 19:24:15 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 18:24 UTC

On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 16:31:32 +0100, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <0b9177dd-0c02-4df8-8eeb-5248b72a0193n@googlegroups.com>, RH
><anywhere156@gmail.com> writes
>>On Wednesday, March 30, 2022 at 10:39:50 AM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
>>> In message <f7s64hlfbqr9iu1cl...@4ax.com>, max. it
>>> <m...@tea.time> writes

>>> I like Rob Key, but AFAIK he has zero experience of running anything.
>>
>>He was captain of Kent for years... RH
>
>I know, but that's a very different job.
>

>>> From what I've seen of him on TV, I suspect that the job wouldn't be a
>>> good fit. Ideally I'd like to see Andrew Strauss doing the job
>>> full-time, if they can just persuade him to do so.
>>>
>>> Ponting would I imagine do a good job as coach, but the current
>>> favourite seems to be Langer, who I think would also do a good job.
>>>
>>> Stokes would probably be excellent at the motivational side of the
>>> captain's job, but I wonder how tactically astute he is. Also given his
>>> past record, I'd be worried that he might get involved in some
>>> off-the-field incident that would lead to his losing the job - though to
>>> be fair he seems to be more mature now than he was when he was younger.
>>> Given his enthusiasm, I'd also be concerned that he might over-bowl
>>> himself (even more than he is already), leading to his injuring himself.
>>> I would favour Stuart Broad, who from what I've seen seems far more
>>> astute than most of the England side, whilst recognising that if he got
>>> the job it could only be a short-term solution.
>>
>>Strauss as director.
>>Farbrace as coach
>>Stokes as captain
>>

>Unfortunately Farbrace has said he doesn't want the job.

Strauss is absolutely definite that he will not take the job under any
circumstances.

And I gather Stokes doesn't want it either, given that he's only
recently back from injury and a mental break. And if there were any
doubt, the fact that he has the support of the most useless
talent-spotter ever known makes it certain that he is not the man for
the job.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Director, Coach, Captain

<20d5f392-c2dd-4231-b3c5-82e3a0990975n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20285&group=uk.sport.cricket#20285

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 14:22:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: blue...@ivillage.com (Moriarty)
 by: Moriarty - Wed, 30 Mar 2022 21:22 UTC

On Wednesday, March 30, 2022 at 8:39:50 PM UTC+11, John Hall wrote:
> In message <f7s64hlfbqr9iu1cl...@4ax.com>, max. it
> <m...@tea.time> writes
> >
> >Nasser suggests.
> >
> >Rob Key as director.
> >Ricky Ponting as coach.
> >Ben Stokes as captain.
> >
> >What do you think?
> >Is it even possible?
> I like Rob Key, but AFAIK he has zero experience of running anything.
> From what I've seen of him on TV, I suspect that the job wouldn't be a
> good fit. Ideally I'd like to see Andrew Strauss doing the job
> full-time, if they can just persuade him to do so.
>
> Ponting would I imagine do a good job as coach, but the current
> favourite seems to be Langer, who I think would also do a good job.
>
> Stokes would probably be excellent at the motivational side of the
> captain's job, but I wonder how tactically astute he is.

If he can do one part of the job excellently, that's better than what's there now. And a good vice-captain / coach combination can help address a captain's lack of tactical nous.

> Also given his
> past record, I'd be worried that he might get involved in some
> off-the-field incident that would lead to his losing the job - though to
> be fair he seems to be more mature now than he was when he was younger.

The same concern was levelled at Ricky Ponting when he became Australian captain, as people cast their minds back to a drunken street fight five years prior.

People *do* grow up, even cricketers.

-Moriarty

Re: Director, Coach, Captain

<t230d0$v00$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20286&group=uk.sport.cricket#20286

From: jeff....@gmail.com (Jeff Urs)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 01:33:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:35tvEZdSCdPLw8grDMPJRh1lp0c=
 by: Jeff Urs - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 01:33 UTC

Moriarty <blues95@ivillage.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 30, 2022 at 8:39:50 PM UTC+11, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <f7s64hlfbqr9iu1cl...@4ax.com>, max. it
>> <m...@tea.time> writes
>>>
>>> Nasser suggests.
>>>
>>> Rob Key as director.
>>> Ricky Ponting as coach.
>>> Ben Stokes as captain.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>> Is it even possible?
>> I like Rob Key, but AFAIK he has zero experience of running anything.
>> From what I've seen of him on TV, I suspect that the job wouldn't be a
>> good fit. Ideally I'd like to see Andrew Strauss doing the job
>> full-time, if they can just persuade him to do so.
>>
>> Ponting would I imagine do a good job as coach, but the current
>> favourite seems to be Langer, who I think would also do a good job.
>>
>> Stokes would probably be excellent at the motivational side of the
>> captain's job, but I wonder how tactically astute he is.
>
> If he can do one part of the job excellently, that's better than what's
> there now. And a good vice-captain / coach combination can help address a
> captain's lack of tactical nous.
>
>> Also given his
>> past record, I'd be worried that he might get involved in some
>> off-the-field incident that would lead to his losing the job - though to
>> be fair he seems to be more mature now than he was when he was younger.
>
> The same concern was levelled at Ricky Ponting when he became Australian
> captain, as people cast their minds back to a drunken street fight five years prior.
>
> People *do* grow up, even cricketers.

"And we understand him well,
How he comes o'er us with our wilder days,
Not measuring what use we made of them."

--
Jeff

Re: Director, Coach, Captain

<06EJ88BtaWRiFwfn@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20290&group=uk.sport.cricket#20290

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 09:30:37 +0100
 by: John Hall - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 08:30 UTC

In message <ar794hdes8rmr0bjhdhs27jvhr2q29pomi@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
<spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>And I gather Stokes doesn't want it either, given that he's only
>recently back from injury and a mental break.

It's a pity that Heather Knight isn't an option, given how England have
turned things round from losing the Ashes and then their first three
World Cup matches - though it's hyard to know how much credit for that
goes to the captain and how much to the coach and players. (And it would
be nice if the men's team could call up Sophie Ecclestone too. :)
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: Director, Coach, Captain

<8rta4hhh7783qh3216jd61htgbbna4mvqj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20291&group=uk.sport.cricket#20291

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 10:51:27 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 09:51 UTC

On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 09:30:37 +0100, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <ar794hdes8rmr0bjhdhs27jvhr2q29pomi@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
><spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>>And I gather Stokes doesn't want it either, given that he's only
>>recently back from injury and a mental break.
>
>It's a pity that Heather Knight isn't an option, given how England have
>turned things round from losing the Ashes and then their first three
>World Cup matches - though it's hyard to know how much credit for that
>goes to the captain and how much to the coach and players. (And it would
>be nice if the men's team could call up Sophie Ecclestone too. :)

And Amy Jones.

In fact, the credit goes to me. I didn't watch any of the first three
games, which they duly lost. But the fourth game started at 10pm, I
started watching it, and we did rather well, so I watched it all the
way through. Since then I've watched all of them, although I didn't
see their innings today, only waking up at the beginning of the SA
innings.

I'm having a lot of difficulty believing they have a chance of beating
Australia in the final, though. A team strong enough to keep leaving
out AmandaJade Wellington looks completely unbeatable.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Director, Coach, Captain

<t243c0$ifj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20292&group=uk.sport.cricket#20292

From: anw...@cuboid.co.uk (Andy Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 12:30:08 +0100
 by: Andy Walker - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 11:30 UTC

On 31/03/2022 10:51, Mike Holmans wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 09:30:37 +0100, John Hall
>> [...] (And it would
>> be nice if the men's team could call up Sophie Ecclestone too. :)
> And Amy Jones.

I WhatsApp'ed a family cricket group to exactly the same
effect. SE bowled some beauties, reminiscent of SKW. But, as I
expect Robert will quickly point out, she would probably be less
effective in the men's game with the larger ball. AJ could be a
different matter, though her batting [against 90mph bouncers, eg]
would surely be less useful than that of Foakes [etc].

--
Andy Walker, Nottingham.
Andy's music pages: www.cuboid.me.uk/andy/Music

Re: Director, Coach, Captain

<8f5ebd3d-e5f4-41b1-aa68-3585fa55ff60n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20293&group=uk.sport.cricket#20293

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 04:43:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: hamish.l...@gmail.com (Hamish Laws)
 by: Hamish Laws - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 11:43 UTC

On Thursday, March 31, 2022 at 8:51:29 PM UTC+11, Mike Holmans wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 09:30:37 +0100, John Hall
> <john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >In message <ar794hdes8rmr0bjh...@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
> ><sp...@jackalope.uk> writes
> >>And I gather Stokes doesn't want it either, given that he's only
> >>recently back from injury and a mental break.
> >
> >It's a pity that Heather Knight isn't an option, given how England have
> >turned things round from losing the Ashes and then their first three
> >World Cup matches - though it's hyard to know how much credit for that
> >goes to the captain and how much to the coach and players. (And it would
> >be nice if the men's team could call up Sophie Ecclestone too. :)
> And Amy Jones.
>
> In fact, the credit goes to me. I didn't watch any of the first three
> games, which they duly lost. But the fourth game started at 10pm, I
> started watching it, and we did rather well, so I watched it all the
> way through. Since then I've watched all of them, although I didn't
> see their innings today, only waking up at the beginning of the SA
> innings.
>
> I'm having a lot of difficulty believing they have a chance of beating
> Australia in the final, though. A team strong enough to keep leaving
> out AmandaJade Wellington looks completely unbeatable.

After Australia went undefeated through the combined Ashes series and beating England in the preliminary round I'm expecting things to go horribly wrong for them in the final and England to win

Re: Director, Coach, Captain

<df5b4h92e4gcutp3sv6pk5rbv5qfh6j5k2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20294&group=uk.sport.cricket#20294

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 12:54:21 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 11:54 UTC

On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 12:30:08 +0100, Andy Walker <anw@cuboid.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 31/03/2022 10:51, Mike Holmans wrote:
>> On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 09:30:37 +0100, John Hall
>>> [...] (And it would
>>> be nice if the men's team could call up Sophie Ecclestone too. :)
>> And Amy Jones.
>
> I WhatsApp'ed a family cricket group to exactly the same
>effect. SE bowled some beauties, reminiscent of SKW. But, as I
>expect Robert will quickly point out, she would probably be less
>effective in the men's game with the larger ball. AJ could be a
>different matter, though her batting [against 90mph bouncers, eg]
>would surely be less useful than that of Foakes [etc].

Indeed. But if Mahmood were to turn out to be number 7 material, we
could put her at no 11 and have a wicketkeeper even the idiot couldn't
criticise.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Director, Coach, Captain

<671ce355-4e93-4ecb-bb8f-e5833df8f39bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20295&group=uk.sport.cricket#20295

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 07:13:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 14:13 UTC

On Wednesday, March 30, 2022 at 4:39:51 PM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <0b9177dd-0c02-4df8...@googlegroups.com>, RH
> <anywh...@gmail.com> writes
> >On Wednesday, March 30, 2022 at 10:39:50 AM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> >> In message <f7s64hlfbqr9iu1cl...@4ax.com>, max. it
> >> <m...@tea.time> writes

> >> I like Rob Key, but AFAIK he has zero experience of running anything.
> >
> >He was captain of Kent for years... RH
> I know, but that's a very different job.

A county captain is about far more than playing cricket. RH

> >> From what I've seen of him on TV, I suspect that the job wouldn't be a
> >> good fit. Ideally I'd like to see Andrew Strauss doing the job
> >> full-time, if they can just persuade him to do so.
> >>
> >> Ponting would I imagine do a good job as coach, but the current
> >> favourite seems to be Langer, who I think would also do a good job.
> >>
> >> Stokes would probably be excellent at the motivational side of the
> >> captain's job, but I wonder how tactically astute he is. Also given his
> >> past record, I'd be worried that he might get involved in some
> >> off-the-field incident that would lead to his losing the job - though to
> >> be fair he seems to be more mature now than he was when he was younger.
> >> Given his enthusiasm, I'd also be concerned that he might over-bowl
> >> himself (even more than he is already), leading to his injuring himself.
> >> I would favour Stuart Broad, who from what I've seen seems far more
> >> astute than most of the England side, whilst recognising that if he got
> >> the job it could only be a short-term solution.
> >
> >Strauss as director.
> >Farbrace as coach
> >Stokes as captain
> >
> Unfortunately Farbrace has said he doesn't want the job.

People can have their minds changed... RH

> --
> John Hall
> "Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
> But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
> Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: Director, Coach, Captain

<3c7590c3-990b-4ceb-a4c6-912779447256n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20296&group=uk.sport.cricket#20296

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 07:32:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 14:32 UTC

On Thursday, March 31, 2022 at 12:30:15 PM UTC+1, Andy Walker wrote:
> On 31/03/2022 10:51, Mike Holmans wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 09:30:37 +0100, John Hall
> >> [...] (And it would
> >> be nice if the men's team could call up Sophie Ecclestone too. :)
> > And Amy Jones.
> I WhatsApp'ed a family cricket group to exactly the same
> effect. SE bowled some beauties, reminiscent of SKW. But, as I
> expect Robert will quickly point out, she would probably be less
> effective in the men's game with the larger ball. AJ could be a
> different matter, though her batting [against 90mph bouncers, eg]
> would surely be less useful than that of Foakes [etc].

Any halfway decent men's club side would beat any women's side because apart from the smaller ball (an immense advantage for ant bowler but especially for a spinner) and the longer boundary in the men's game, there are many bowlers in the men's club game who can bowl over 75 MPH and quite a few over 80 MPH . Some will be pushing the upper 80s MPH
and a few over 90 MPH ( 80+MPH bowlers play in club cricket both at the beginning of their FC careers ) and later if they have been injured ) If is also true that when experienced pace bowlers leave the FC game they will often play for league sides and the like. Toby can speak to the pace of the to level of the club game.

If you have have any experience of playing against pace bowlers of 70MPH and 80MPH you will know that there is great difference between the 70mph "pace" bowlers in the women's game and 80 MPH pace bowlers in the men's game.

It is also worth mentioning that the height of female bowlers also make them easier to playfor men . RH

Re: Director, Coach, Captain

<5lmgONBxxcRiFweo@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20302&group=uk.sport.cricket#20302

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 16:44:49 +0100
 by: John Hall - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 15:44 UTC

In message <8rta4hhh7783qh3216jd61htgbbna4mvqj@4ax.com>, Mike Holmans
<spam@jackalope.uk> writes
>I'm having a lot of difficulty believing they have a chance of beating
>Australia in the final, though. A team strong enough to keep leaving
>out AmandaJade Wellington looks completely unbeatable.

Yes, the Australian team have been incredibly impressive throughout the
tournament, as well as in the preceding Ashes. I wouldn't go so far as
to say that they are "completely unbeatable", but they must be something
like a 4-1 on shot.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,
But you *need* an orgy, once in a while."
Ogden Nash (1902-1971)

Re: Director, Coach, Captain

<f98f9745-8379-432a-b73b-6bdc41f8519an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20312&group=uk.sport.cricket#20312

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 16:23:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 23:23 UTC

Bairstow doesn't seem to get much of a mention as an alternative captain.
IMO he's the only batsman, apart from Root, who deserves his spot.