HELLO KITTY gang terrorizes town, family STICKERED to death!

aus+uk / uk.people.silversurfers / Smart Meters

SubjectAuthor
* Smart MetersJeff Gaines
+- Re: Smart MetersBri.
+* Re: Smart MetersIndy Jess John
|`- Re: Smart MetersHarry Bloomfield, Esq.
+* Re: Smart MetersGraham Harrison
|`- Re: Smart MetersHarry Bloomfield, Esq.
+* Re: Smart MetersHarry Bloomfield, Esq.
|`* Re: Smart MetersBri.
| `* Re: Smart MetersHarry Bloomfield, Esq.
|  `* Re: Smart MetersBri.
|   `- Re: Smart MetersHarry Bloomfield, Esq.
+* Re: Smart MetersAbandoned_Trolley
|`* Re: Smart MetersHerbie
| `* Re: Smart MetersJim S
|  `- Re: Smart MetersHarry Bloomfield, Esq.
+* Re: Smart Metersme
|`- Re: Smart MetersHarry Bloomfield, Esq.
`* Re: Smart MetersPeter
 `- Re: Smart MetersJeff Gaines

1
Smart Meters

<xn0n39j7savti7800t@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2032&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2032

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Smart Meters
Date: 24 Sep 2021 12:04:20 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 12:04 UTC

FN's post about the Gas board turning up uninvited to install a smart
meter got me thinking.

I get an email from eon every month reminding me to read my meter and I
have to get on my knees in the cupboard under the stairs and take a
picture of the meter.

I would love an automated method that meant I didn't have to do that. What
are people's objections to these meters or have (some of) you come round
to accepting them?

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Though no-one can go back and make a new start, everyone can start from

Re: Smart Meters

<vzmmlwc4f0xf.1jz90l3pujvuz$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2033&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2033

From: Bri...@Derby.invalid (Bri.)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: Smart Meters
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 13:36:12 +0100
 by: Bri. - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 12:36 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I have to get on my knees in the cupboard under the stairs and take
> a picture of the meter.
>
> I would love an automated method that meant I didn't have to do that. What
> are people's objections to these meters or have (some of) you come round
> to accepting them?

We've had smart meters for around 4 years and I'm well pleased with
them. Our meters are outside and my daily readings can now be taken
in comfort.
I've kept a record of consumption for many years and enter the meter
readings into a spreadsheet which gives me the current state of my
account.

Like yourself, I too would be interested in objections to them.
--
Bri.
(W10 Laptop)

Re: Smart Meters

<sikic2$3gj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2034&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2034

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 14:03:57 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 13:03 UTC

On 24/09/2021 13:04, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> FN's post about the Gas board turning up uninvited to install a smart
> meter got me thinking.
>
> I get an email from eon every month reminding me to read my meter and I
> have to get on my knees in the cupboard under the stairs and take a
> picture of the meter.
>
> I would love an automated method that meant I didn't have to do that. What
> are people's objections to these meters or have (some of) you come round
> to accepting them?

My objection is that some companies cannot accommodate meters installed
by some other companies. I wouldn't want the smart meter installed by
my current company to limit my options of where I can move my business
to. Also, I don't see how a smart meter is going to benefit me when I
already have a display (which I bought 3 years ago) in the living room,
showing the amount of electricity being used updated every 10 seconds,
and for the central heating there is a master thermostat in the living
room and a thermostatic radiator valve on each other room radiator so no
gas is wasted providing unnecessary heat.

When smart meters were first promoted as wonderful things, the
Government promised an associated future where there was a central
service that all smart meters would talk to with usage data, and inside
that service was a look-up of which company was at that time responsible
for billing the usage. So changing supplier was just an simple update
to the who-bills-the-particular-meter table.

I have decided that as my gas meter is by the front door and easy to
read, and I walk past my electricity meter every time I go to the
bathroom, I have no problems sending readings in. However as both fuels
are on fixed price tariffs and are paid by a fixed value direct debit,
estimated readings don't make any difference mid-contract provided exact
readings are submitted at the end of the fixed price term. I have found
that if I provide actual readings for at least 7 months out of twelve,
the estimates for the other months are not far out anyway.

If the central service does get set up and it works as promised then I
will get smart meters for the convenience of being able to change
suppliers without having to prove the carry-over readings. Until then, I
don't need the hassle of someone replacing a perfectly serviceable meter
with another that brings me no additional benefits.

Jim

Re: Smart Meters

<ioorkglq42jblphgimrk98pkmtbqj0n132@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2037&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2037

From: edward.h...@btinternet.com (Graham Harrison)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 15:48:04 +0100
 by: Graham Harrison - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 14:48 UTC

On 24 Sep 2021 12:04:20 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
<jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>FN's post about the Gas board turning up uninvited to install a smart
>meter got me thinking.
>
>I get an email from eon every month reminding me to read my meter and I
>have to get on my knees in the cupboard under the stairs and take a
>picture of the meter.
>
>I would love an automated method that meant I didn't have to do that. What
>are people's objections to these meters or have (some of) you come round
>to accepting them?

I have a smart meter and so far I've had no problems.

I am, however, careful to monitor what my supplier is up to. Their
latest wheeze is a form of the old economy 7 which reduces my tariff
during the hours of 1am-4am when I can then charge my electric car
(which don't have), And herein lies my reason for care. In theory
(but I'm not aware of it happening} they can change your tariff at the
flick of a switch and even cut you off remotely. I've had billing
issues with previous suppliers on non digital meters and, in one case
(resolved through their complaints procedure after customer services
were as useful as the proverbial chocolate teapot) got very close to
being cut off.

Yes, they mean you can read your meter easily from the display they
give you inside your house which is a great boon but there are
potential up (easy economy 7) and downsides (too easy for changes to
be made with no notice).

Re: Smart Meters

<sikos5$q76$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2038&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2038

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield, Esq.)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 15:55:00 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield, Es - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 14:55 UTC

Jeff Gaines brought next idea :
> I would love an automated method that meant I didn't have to do that. What
> are people's objections to these meters or have (some of) you come round to
> accepting them?

1. They mean power/gas can be remotely turned off - rather unlikrly.
2. Burglars could hack into your consuption and know when you were not
at home - why would they bother?
3. Not all suppliers SM's were compatible with every supplier. These
are being replaced with a single standard type, which work with all
suppliers.

Resons to have one - easy to read and see what and when you are
consuming.

Re: Smart Meters

<sikp5r$t56$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2039&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2039

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield, Esq.)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 16:00:10 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield, Es - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 15:00 UTC

Indy Jess John has brought this to us :
> I wouldn't want the smart meter installed by my current company to limit my
> options of where I can move my business to. Also, I don't see how a smart
> meter is going to benefit me when I already have a display (which I bought 3
> years ago) in the living room, showing the amount of electricity being used
> updated every 10 seconds, and for the central heating there is a master
> thermostat in the living room and a thermostatic radiator valve on each other
> room radiator so no gas is wasted providing unnecessary heat.

Even the old Smart Meters do not limit your choice, you can go to any
supplier, except with some you might be back to taking reading for
them. There is a program to replace the early Smart Meters, but new or
old - you are eligible for the reduced rate many offer if you have, or
are willing to have - a Smart Meter installed.

Re: Smart Meters

<sikpj2$286$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2040&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2040

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield, Esq.)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 16:07:13 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield, Es - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 15:07 UTC

Graham Harrison was thinking very hard :
> I am, however, careful to monitor what my supplier is up to. Their
> latest wheeze is a form of the old economy 7 which reduces my tariff
> during the hours of 1am-4am when I can then charge my electric car
> (which don't have), And herein lies my reason for care.

There is/was one company which offered a variable rate, where the cost
varied depending on the time of day. They would advise what the rate
would be, for when the day before. Then it was your choice whether to
take advantage of the cheap rates or not. There were times when the
power was free.

Re: Smart Meters

<sikr86$eml$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2041&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2041

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 16:35:33 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 15:35 UTC

On 24/09/2021 13:04, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> FN's post about the Gas board turning up uninvited to install a smart
> meter got me thinking.
>
> I get an email from eon every month reminding me to read my meter and I
> have to get on my knees in the cupboard under the stairs and take a
> picture of the meter.
>
> I would love an automated method that meant I didn't have to do that.
> What are people's objections to these meters or have (some of) you come
> round to accepting them?

Some while ago there was a news article about the number of smart meter
users being sent estimated bills - apparently the numbers are quite
alarming.

I dont have a smart meter, but I recently registered for the EON-Next
system so that I can "manage" my electricity payments. To complete the
registration I gave them my email address, but they still send the
monthly bill by post :-\

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Smart Meters

<my4vdsoyizr9.1qbad8st2cw26.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2044&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2044

From: Bri...@Derby.invalid (Bri.)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 18:12:37 +0100
 by: Bri. - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 17:12 UTC

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

> 1. They mean power/gas can be remotely turned off - rather unlikrly.

A meter monitors usage, it can't prevent usage.
--
Bri.
(W7 Desktop)

Re: Smart Meters

<vs1skglkose2jgiscg2ii8tf9ovf0bm2gp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2045&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2045

From: inva...@invalid.com (Herbie)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 18:17:00 +0100
 by: Herbie - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 17:17 UTC

On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 16:35:33 +0100, Abandoned_Trolley
<fred@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote:

>On 24/09/2021 13:04, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>> FN's post about the Gas board turning up uninvited to install a smart
>> meter got me thinking.
>>
>> I get an email from eon every month reminding me to read my meter and I
>> have to get on my knees in the cupboard under the stairs and take a
>> picture of the meter.
>>
>> I would love an automated method that meant I didn't have to do that.
>> What are people's objections to these meters or have (some of) you come
>> round to accepting them?
>>

>Some while ago there was a news article about the number of smart meter
>users being sent estimated bills - apparently the numbers are quite
>alarming.
>

>I dont have a smart meter, but I recently registered for the EON-Next
>system so that I can "manage" my electricity payments. To complete the
>registration I gave them my email address, but they still send the
>monthly bill by post :-\
Have had one for 6 years and have had no issues.
not having to send readings has been a bonus
Herbie.

Re: Smart Meters

<1ry99ibgvdot.1mvo13yrw14uk$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2046&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2046

From: jim...@jimXscott.co.uk (Jim S)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 18:42:56 +0100
 by: Jim S - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 17:42 UTC

On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 18:17:00 +0100, Herbie wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 16:35:33 +0100, Abandoned_Trolley
> <fred@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On 24/09/2021 13:04, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>>
>>> FN's post about the Gas board turning up uninvited to install a smart
>>> meter got me thinking.
>>>
>>> I get an email from eon every month reminding me to read my meter and I
>>> have to get on my knees in the cupboard under the stairs and take a
>>> picture of the meter.
>>>
>>> I would love an automated method that meant I didn't have to do that.
>>> What are people's objections to these meters or have (some of) you come
>>> round to accepting them?
>>>

>>Some while ago there was a news article about the number of smart meter
>>users being sent estimated bills - apparently the numbers are quite
>>alarming.
>>

>>I dont have a smart meter, but I recently registered for the EON-Next
>>system so that I can "manage" my electricity payments. To complete the
>>registration I gave them my email address, but they still send the
>>monthly bill by post :-\
> Have had one for 6 years and have had no issues.
> not having to send readings has been a bonus
> Herbie.

That seems to be the only reason to get one.
I don't know anybody who currently checks their meters and if I had a smart
one I wouln't do so either. True I have a thermostat and can afford to have
my home warm, but as for monitoring constantly - how long would that last?
--
Jim S

Re: Smart Meters

<sil34h$dn3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2047&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2047

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield, Esq.)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 18:50:08 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield, Es - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 17:50 UTC

Bri. wrote :
> A meter monitors usage, it can't prevent usage.
>
> --

The SM's do have that facilty built in to them.

Re: Smart Meters

<sil3kb$n8q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2048&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2048

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield, Esq.)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 18:58:34 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield, Es - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 17:58 UTC

Jim S explained on 24/09/2021 :
> That seems to be the only reason to get one.
> I don't know anybody who currently checks their meters and if I had a smart
> one I wouln't do so either. True I have a thermostat and can afford to have
> my home warm, but as for monitoring constantly - how long would that last?

Out of sheer curiosty, I do. I log the reading on E, G and W every
Sunday morning and feed them into a spread sheet. I have done for
several years now. Having logged them, I feed them back to my supplier.

I'm not desperately green, but I have invested in the past to make my
home reasonably fuel efficient. It has been intersesting watching the
consumption decline, with each change I have made.

Re: Smart Meters

<q7l0rwpmmbvg.1mhggegzwikte$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2049&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2049

From: Bri...@Derby.invalid (Bri.)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 19:02:45 +0100
 by: Bri. - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 18:02 UTC

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
> Bri. wrote :
>> A meter monitors usage, it can't prevent usage.

> The SM's do have that facilty built in to them.

Impossible, it's this sort of rumour that scares some folk. :-(
Besides, cutting off gas remotely would be extremely dangerous.
--
Bri.
(W7 Desktop)

Re: Smart Meters

<sil4e2$1mg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2050&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2050

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield, Esq.)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 19:12:17 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield, Es - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 18:12 UTC

Bri. submitted this idea :
> Impossible, it's this sort of rumour that scares some folk. :-(
> Besides, cutting off gas remotely would be extremely dangerous.

Why? Turning gas on is dangerous, not off, however I am not sure about
gas. I am certain about the electric meters - try a google search.

Re: Smart Meters

<pcgtkg115uulvl5800dicpre13o1n4dud3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2051&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2051

From: me...@me.me
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 07:38:31 +0100
 by: me...@me.me - Sat, 25 Sep 2021 06:38 UTC

On 24 Sep 2021 12:04:20 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
<jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>FN's post about the Gas board turning up uninvited to install a smart
>meter got me thinking.
>
>I get an email from eon every month reminding me to read my meter and I
>have to get on my knees in the cupboard under the stairs and take a
>picture of the meter.
>
>I would love an automated method that meant I didn't have to do that. What
>are people's objections to these meters or have (some of) you come round
>to accepting them?

Complete waste of time, mine was installed by eon, I changed to bg and
they cannot read it.

The meter is installed 8ft high and therefore needs a ladder to read,
also a torch and pencil and paper to jot downthe readomg. This I
refuse to do owing the danger of ladders with dicky knee.

We are supposed to be a high tech nation yet a simple task needs
ladder torch pencil and paper.

Meter six foot high, that dates from 1964, numerous meters have been
installed since that date and nobody has suggested a more reasonable
height.

Jeff

Re: Smart Meters

<simh03$ojc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2052&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2052

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield, Esq.)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 07:52:50 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield, Es - Sat, 25 Sep 2021 06:52 UTC

me@me.me formulated the question :
> Complete waste of time, mine was installed by eon, I changed to bg and
> they cannot read it.

It was badly implemented - not thought through, as if they were
encouring everyone to shop around for energy, but not really
anticipating people would move suppliers, with the Smart Meter design.

My first set were installed by EON, I no sooner had them, than I moved
suppliers and they became dumb, so I pestered the new supplier who
replaced them again, but just in time for me to move suppliers again.

I have several times chased my present supplier on the matter, but only
promises so far to change them for SMETS II which work with all
suppliers. My contracts ends soon, no doubt (as before) they will
change them just before I leave them.

Re: Smart Meters

<sin1ki$882$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2058&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2058

From: peterxpe...@hotmail.com (Peter)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 12:36:49 +0100
 by: Peter - Sat, 25 Sep 2021 11:36 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> FN's post about the Gas board turning up uninvited to install a smart
> meter got me thinking.
>
> I get an email from eon every month reminding me to read my meter and I
> have to get on my knees in the cupboard under the stairs and take a
> picture of the meter.
>
> I would love an automated method that meant I didn't have to do that.
> What are people's objections to these meters or have (some of) you come
> round to accepting them?

They're just a trick to allow Bill Gates to inject you with an
integrated circuit. Or is that COVID-19 inoculations?

--
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here
Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg

Re: Smart Meters

<xn0n3axkmcb3j0400z@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2059&group=uk.people.silversurfers#2059

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 25 Sep 2021 11:59:49 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 25 Sep 2021 11:59 UTC

On 25/09/2021 in message <sin1ki$882$1@gioia.aioe.org> Peter wrote:

>They're just a trick to allow Bill Gates to inject you with an integrated
>circuit. Or is that COVID-19 inoculations?

And on that note.....

Thanks for all the replies, looks like people are coming round but with
some objections still :-)

I will have to think about it.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
I've been through the desert on a horse with no name.