I'm going to raise an issue and stick it in your ear. -- John Foreman

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: Joe Root, the scapegoat

SubjectAuthor
* Joe Root, the scapegoatjack fredricks
+- Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatRH
+* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatsteve hague
|+* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatMike Holmans
||`* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatMike Holmans
|| `- Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatjack fredricks
|`* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatMike Holmans
| `* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatmax.it
|  `* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatMike Holmans
|   `- Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatmax.it
+- Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatsteve hague
+* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatAndy Walker
|+* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatDavid North
||`* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatJohn Hall
|| `- Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatMike Holmans
|+* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatMike Holmans
||`- Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatjack fredricks
|`* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatjack fredricks
| `* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatAndy Walker
|  `* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatjack fredricks
|   `* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatAndy Walker
|    +- Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatjack fredricks
|    +- Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatmax.it
|    +* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatMike Holmans
|    |`* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatjack fredricks
|    | `* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatHamish Laws
|    |  +- Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatjack fredricks
|    |  +- Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatjack fredricks
|    |  `* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatMike Holmans
|    |   +- Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatjack fredricks
|    |   `* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatmax.it
|    |    +- Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatMike Holmans
|    |    `- Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatjack fredricks
|    `- Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatJohn Hall
`* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatNasti Chestikov
 `* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatjack fredricks
  +- Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatNasti Chestikov
  `* Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatAndy Walker
   +- Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatjack fredricks
   `- Re: Joe Root, the scapegoatMike Holmans

Pages:12
Re: Joe Root, the scapegoat

<t26nkj$1500$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20314&group=uk.sport.cricket#20314

From: anw...@cuboid.co.uk (Andy Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Joe Root, the scapegoat
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 12:28:19 +0100
 by: Andy Walker - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 11:28 UTC

On 31/03/2022 22:49, jack fredricks wrote:
>>> [...] For me.. I look at what Test players that FC
>>> system produces.
>> Fine. Now compare the f-c systems across the Test countries.
>> Yeah, we know about Oz [but note that The Secret Cricketer rates the
>> CC higher/harder than the Oz system].
> CC harder than SS? Enough said about that publication. I'll never
> read it, and will recommend people don't.

It's not a good book, and I'm certainly not recommending it.
But TSC has the advantage over everyone here [I take it?] of having
played /professionally/ in both systems over a long [and recent]
period. He has a lot to say about pay structures, support services,
career prospects, ..., things which are largely irrelevant to the
amateur game. Oh, and a lot about life in the dressing room, which
is also rather different between playing as an amateur and the grind
of doing it seven days per week for a large part of the year.

[...]
> I'm not really sure how we got onto the tangent of cricket popularity
> as a whole.

If you want Test cricket to thrive, then cricket as a whole
has to be popular; and it has to attract big money. People /here/
would mostly recognise current stars, plus names from the recent or
even more distant past. The man on the Clapham Omnibus not so much.
You can see that on shows like "Pointless", which is an interesting
barometer of how much TMotCO knows about a range of topics.

Freddie Flintoff points out that we have been very bad at
building on success. He is now much better known as a presenter
on "Top Gear" than as a famous cricketer. He thinks we should have
been shouting from the rooftops about 2005 and 2019. Instead, most
people can't name anyone from either the Ashes side or the World Cup
side. That's one reason why the women's side is important, despite
the scorn being poured from some quarters; it doubles the chance to
put cricket into the news, for young people to say "I could do that!",
for cricketers to be invited to give talks, to appear on TV, to open
village fetes, and so on. That all feeds into young people taking up
cricket, and some of them becoming the stars of the future.

--
Andy Walker, Nottingham.
Andy's music pages: www.cuboid.me.uk/andy/Music

Re: Joe Root, the scapegoat

<6a8e635a-1b86-435e-a155-93d34005d521n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20315&group=uk.sport.cricket#20315

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 04:43:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 11:43 UTC

On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 9:28:21 PM UTC+10, Andy Walker wrote:
> >> Fine. Now compare the f-c systems across the Test countries.
> >> Yeah, we know about Oz [but note that The Secret Cricketer rates the
> >> CC higher/harder than the Oz system].
> > CC harder than SS? Enough said about that publication. I'll never
> > read it, and will recommend people don't.
> It's not a good book, and I'm certainly not recommending it.
> But TSC has the advantage over everyone here [I take it?] of having
> played /professionally/ in both systems over a long [and recent]
> period. He has a lot to say about pay structures, support services,
> career prospects, ..., things which are largely irrelevant to the
> amateur game. Oh, and a lot about life in the dressing room, which
> is also rather different between playing as an amateur and the grind
> of doing it seven days per week for a large part of the year.

If he rates CC "harder" due to mainly to non-playing issues (eg pay structures, support services) then him and I are talking different things.
For all we know those things might actually be negative influences on an English player's overall ability. If they are, then the ECB should try to resolve them.
When others talk about the problems of County Cricket, they're not really mentioned (certainly not from what I've heard).

Re: Joe Root, the scapegoat

<dpqd4h1qjp1u50crk0dkqi4t5h00fetic4@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20316&group=uk.sport.cricket#20316

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 13:11:16 +0100
 by: max.it - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 12:11 UTC

On Fri, 1 Apr 2022 12:28:19 +0100, Andy Walker <anw@cuboid.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 31/03/2022 22:49, jack fredricks wrote:

>> CC harder than SS? Enough said about that publication. I'll never
>> read it, and will recommend people don't.

The words of an all day long dickehead.

max.it

Re: Joe Root, the scapegoat

<bqod4h9618ec1dagfp9a0atd64jbceladk@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20317&group=uk.sport.cricket#20317

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 14:06:37 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 13:06 UTC

wrote:

>On 31/03/2022 22:49, jack fredricks wrote:

>>> Yeah, we know about Oz [but note that The Secret Cricketer rates the
>>> CC higher/harder than the Oz system].
>> CC harder than SS? Enough said about that publication. I'll never
>> read it, and will recommend people don't.
>
> It's not a good book, and I'm certainly not recommending it.
>But TSC has the advantage over everyone here [I take it?] of having
>played /professionally/ in both systems over a long [and recent]
>period. He has a lot to say about pay structures, support services,
>career prospects, ..., things which are largely irrelevant to the
>amateur game. Oh, and a lot about life in the dressing room, which
>is also rather different between playing as an amateur and the grind
>of doing it seven days per week for a large part of the year.

I've heard/read a lot of Australian cricketers who've played in both
systems agreeing with TSC, mostly since we went to two divisions. And
I haven't heard/read Australians familiar with playing in both systems
disagreeing.

As you point out, a professional player perceiving a season as "tough"
may not be using the same criteria as someone whose experience of
slogging up and down England's motorways between games played wearing
three sweaters in the field is zero.

The county championship starts in six days time. Today, with wind
chill factored in, the temperature is 4C in London. The forecast for
next Thursday is 9C without wind chill, and remaining at that level
until at least Saturday. In the north of England, it will be 3-4C
colder. That is not an ambient temperature that is really fit for
playing first-class cricket, and it's definitely not fit for sitting
outside for several hours to watch it, so there won't be anyone
watching except complete tragics.

At least in the south, there won't be more than the odd light shower
before then, but the north and West Midlands are going to get soaked
on Wednesday and Thursday, which isn't going to improve the pitch
conditions. Everywhere the air will be damp and overcast, which will
encourage the fast-medium bowler who moves it in the air and likes
green-tops - which are going to be much more likely at grounds where
they can't mow for a day or two before they start playing.

I'm rather a wimp, so my judgement is obviously going to be flawed,
but I'd view next week's matches as a pretty tough prospect, even
though it's very unlikely that they will be able to play high-quality
cricket. Taking dolly catches with freezing fingers is a challenge,
let alone half-chances with a difficulty tariff of 2.3; the next day's
papers will say that nine chances were dropped, which will not argue
that the play was very good, though had the game been played at 24C,
only one of those chances would have gone down and the next day's
papers would have praised the fielding.

So I'd be rather more careful about saying that the Aus system *must*
be tougher because they have a better Test team. Those with idees
fixes who know a lot better by virtue of being 10,000 miles away will
no doubt continue to rubbish the evidence of those who talk from
experience.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Joe Root, the scapegoat

<d5vd4h1meurl5qpiiobtr4792uscim9pq1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20320&group=uk.sport.cricket#20320

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 15:42:25 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 14:42 UTC

On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 21:12:01 +0100, Andy Walker <anw@cuboid.co.uk>
wrote:

> No, I don't know what the answer is either. But tinkering
>with the CC is not it. The money is telling us that. Spectators
>are voting with their feet, and the players will follow. Either
>there is some way to get big crowds and the England stars [as well
>as overseas stars] into the CC, or else it is doomed....

.... in its present form, anyway.

Everyone knows that the fundamental problem is having 18 first-class
sides. To carry on the FF idea, if you were designing an f-c structure
from scratch, you wouldn't have more than 10, and not necessarily as
many as that.

But that's not where we are. The whole ecology has been built round 18
elite county clubs, and the counties which are successful in playing
and/or financial terms don't map neatly on to centres of population,
so redrawing that map with fewer territories is fraught with
difficulty, not to mention risk.

One of the big worries is that people with loyalties to Notts or
Somerset won't be interested in a team at least notionally based
somewhere else, even if their home ground is on the itinerary for the
odd game featuring a team named for somewhere 2 hours drive away.

For those of us who grew up in an era when county councils were
powerful enough to make counties recognisably different, adherence to
the old counties is very strong. I have no idea what the TikTokkers of
Basingstoke think about Hampshire, but I doubt it's the same as "The
Colonel" who props up the bar of the Stoat and Badger of a Sunday
lunchtime thinks, especially since their parents only moved there from
Hounslow when Mrs Choudhury got promoted to a job at AA Head Office.

In bald terms, apart from a bunch of pensioners like thee and me, who
actually cares about the counties as things to be loyal to and
couldn't just as easily adopt some other cricketing entity, like all
those Man Utd supporters who live in London? Genuine question, by the
way, not a rhetorical flourish.

20-30 years ago, dismantling the country structure as is was
completely unthinkable. I'm not advocating it, at least not yet, but
I'm no longer sure that my major objections still have the same weight
in 2022 as they did (for me) in 1992.

I'm not, by the way, saying that retaining/gaining loyalty is the sole
factor. What happens to youth structures based on feeding through to
county teams? Current county sponsorship deals are often with
medium-sized local firms, particularly for in-stadium adverts; how do
you restructure sponsorship deals in the new environment without
shutting off that income stream, or is it too small to worry about?

The point is that it isn't a *simple* solution that some wiseacre can
adopt as their latest slogan and berate everyone for not
enthusiastically applauding. I'm coming to the view that it is
inevitable, but it won't happen until a charismatic person has a
fantastic idea and can evangelise for enough money to make it happen,
which probably requires an amount in the low eight figure region over
about five years. Since that's "coming", I'm entirely open to being
persuaded of some other idea.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Joe Root, the scapegoat

<E+IwcQCnH1RiFwJN@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20328&group=uk.sport.cricket#20328

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 20:26:31 +0100
 by: John Hall - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 19:26 UTC

In message <t26nkj$1500$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Walker
<anw@cuboid.co.uk> writes
<snip>
>That's one reason why the women's side is important, despite
>the scorn being poured from some quarters; it doubles the chance to
>put cricket into the news, for young people to say "I could do that!",
>for cricketers to be invited to give talks, to appear on TV, to open
>village fetes, and so on. That all feeds into young people tak

With that in mind, it's good news that Sky have announced that live
coverage of the WC Final is going to be carried on their FTA Pick
channel. Of course the timing of the game is unfortunate from a UK
standpoint, as most of those young people are likely to be in bed for
the greater part of it. Hopefully there will also be a highlights
package on Pick as well, at a more accessible time.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,

Re: Joe Root, the scapegoat

<23e18e32-e3b6-4adb-8631-5005602eef48n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20329&group=uk.sport.cricket#20329

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 15:35:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 22:35 UTC

On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 11:06:40 PM UTC+10, Mike Holmans wrote:
> I've heard/read a lot of Australian cricketers who've played in both
> systems agreeing with TSC, mostly since we went to two divisions. And
> I haven't heard/read Australians familiar with playing in both systems
> disagreeing.

I've never heard anyone say "the gap between Aus FC cricket and Tests is too much".
I've heard countless elite English cricketers and coaches/staff say that of English FC cricket.

But please continue with your head stuck in the sand.

Re: Joe Root, the scapegoat

<0bd0e81f-11a9-4f62-9e05-a1f7a5562a2bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20333&group=uk.sport.cricket#20333

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 19:37:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: hamish.l...@gmail.com (Hamish Laws)
 by: Hamish Laws - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 02:37 UTC

On Saturday, April 2, 2022 at 9:35:38 AM UTC+11, jzfre...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 11:06:40 PM UTC+10, Mike Holmans wrote:
> > I've heard/read a lot of Australian cricketers who've played in both
> > systems agreeing with TSC, mostly since we went to two divisions. And
> > I haven't heard/read Australians familiar with playing in both systems
> > disagreeing.
> I've never heard anyone say "the gap between Aus FC cricket and Tests is too much".
> I've heard countless elite English cricketers and coaches/staff say that of English FC cricket.

Ask Harris about that, or Phil Hughes, or Jacques, Dave Gilbert, David Hookes...

History is full of Australian cricketers who've been at the top of the shield but haven't made it at international level.

Re: Joe Root, the scapegoat

<ca308aaf-b268-45e8-b89e-e93eca3c580an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20334&group=uk.sport.cricket#20334

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 19:45:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 02:45 UTC

On Saturday, April 2, 2022 at 12:37:47 PM UTC+10, hamis...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, April 2, 2022 at 9:35:38 AM UTC+11, jzfre...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 11:06:40 PM UTC+10, Mike Holmans wrote:
> > > I've heard/read a lot of Australian cricketers who've played in both
> > > systems agreeing with TSC, mostly since we went to two divisions. And
> > > I haven't heard/read Australians familiar with playing in both systems
> > > disagreeing.
> > I've never heard anyone say "the gap between Aus FC cricket and Tests is too much".
> > I've heard countless elite English cricketers and coaches/staff say that of English FC cricket.
> >
> Ask Harris about that, or Phil Hughes, or Jacques, Dave Gilbert, David Hookes...
>
> History is full of Australian cricketers who've been at the top of the shield but haven't made it at international level.

Shall we do the same list for England?

Re: Joe Root, the scapegoat

<eebfa7a0-2e01-4886-84de-4f1d9d94f157n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20335&group=uk.sport.cricket#20335

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 20:01:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 03:01 UTC

On Saturday, April 2, 2022 at 12:37:47 PM UTC+10, hamis...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, April 2, 2022 at 9:35:38 AM UTC+11, jzfre...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 11:06:40 PM UTC+10, Mike Holmans wrote:
> > > I've heard/read a lot of Australian cricketers who've played in both
> > > systems agreeing with TSC, mostly since we went to two divisions. And
> > > I haven't heard/read Australians familiar with playing in both systems
> > > disagreeing.
> > I've never heard anyone say "the gap between Aus FC cricket and Tests is too much".
> > I've heard countless elite English cricketers and coaches/staff say that of English FC cricket.
> >
> Ask Harris about that, or Phil Hughes, or Jacques, Dave Gilbert, David Hookes...
>
> History is full of Australian cricketers who've been at the top of the shield but haven't made it at international level.

BTW, it appears as if you've completely misread what I said. I dare say *all* FC systems will produce players who excel at FC but don't succeed at Tests.
If you insist on interpreting what I said differently, try this - I've never heard someone say SS doesn't produce enough Test quality players. Those kinds of comments are said weekly about CC.

Re: Joe Root, the scapegoat

<4cgf4hda8nuci1thp43bommmrsroduff5a@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20336&group=uk.sport.cricket#20336

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 04:36:53 +0100
References: <bffd3b17-25e3-4c85-b302-afc1b1c7510an@googlegroups.com> <t1urli$p4$1@gioia.aioe.org> <05f8835f-0f9e-4cc0-acd0-c6e4f853919bn@googlegroups.com> <t251us$1lc5$2@gioia.aioe.org> <f09f3439-48f2-46d4-b5e7-c9e6d538a60fn@googlegroups.com> <t26nkj$1500$1@gioia.aioe.org> <bqod4h9618ec1dagfp9a0atd64jbceladk@4ax.com> <23e18e32-e3b6-4adb-8631-5005602eef48n@googlegroups.com> <0bd0e81f-11a9-4f62-9e05-a1f7a5562a2bn@googlegroups.com>
 by: Mike Holmans - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 03:36 UTC

On Fri, 1 Apr 2022 19:37:46 -0700 (PDT), Hamish Laws
<hamish.laws@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, April 2, 2022 at 9:35:38 AM UTC+11, jzfre...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Friday, April 1, 2022 at 11:06:40 PM UTC+10, Mike Holmans wrote:
>> > I've heard/read a lot of Australian cricketers who've played in both
>> > systems agreeing with TSC, mostly since we went to two divisions. And
>> > I haven't heard/read Australians familiar with playing in both systems
>> > disagreeing.
>> I've never heard anyone say "the gap between Aus FC cricket and Tests is too much".
>> I've heard countless elite English cricketers and coaches/staff say that of English FC cricket.
>>
>Ask Harris about that, or Phil Hughes, or Jacques, Dave Gilbert, David Hookes...
>
>History is full of Australian cricketers who've been at the top of the shield but haven't made it at international level.

I can see that our nitwitted friend has failed to appreciate the point
I made at length, which is that "tougher" doesn't necessarily mean
"better". Pointing out that it is extremely tough to play cricket in
freezing conditions on poor pitches but that you will be playing
rotten cricket while you do it has NOTHING to do with the gap between
FC and Test cricket and everything to do with whether the English
system is *tougher* than the Australian.

I know he far prefers to bandy round simple, meaningless slogans
rather than engage with the problems which face us trying to improve
the standard of English cricket, let alone offer constructive
proposals to overcome them. He'd much rather stick his fingers in his
ears and say "la-la-la-I can't hear you and anyway I'm right even
though I haven't the first idea what I'm talking about".

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Joe Root, the scapegoat

<7ed4e981-88be-4e4f-b9dc-73ea3ea5b545n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20337&group=uk.sport.cricket#20337

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 22:55:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 05:55 UTC

On Saturday, April 2, 2022 at 1:36:55 PM UTC+10, Mike Holmans wrote:
> Pointing out that it is extremely tough to play cricket in
> freezing conditions

Of all the defences of County Cricket, I find this the most feeble.
Play a full season of cricket in Aus. Then play one in England.
England has the nicest cricket conditions I've ever played in.
Yeah, early April isn't the best, but it gets so good so fast. Then it really is a cricketer's dream.

I'd take the cold over playing in 40+ DegC temps.

Re: Joe Root, the scapegoat

<dh0g4h5crrq52ppgqggbf2op37l0v3etrk@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20338&group=uk.sport.cricket#20338

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 08:59:03 +0100
References: <bffd3b17-25e3-4c85-b302-afc1b1c7510an@googlegroups.com> <t1urli$p4$1@gioia.aioe.org> <05f8835f-0f9e-4cc0-acd0-c6e4f853919bn@googlegroups.com> <t251us$1lc5$2@gioia.aioe.org> <f09f3439-48f2-46d4-b5e7-c9e6d538a60fn@googlegroups.com> <t26nkj$1500$1@gioia.aioe.org> <bqod4h9618ec1dagfp9a0atd64jbceladk@4ax.com> <23e18e32-e3b6-4adb-8631-5005602eef48n@googlegroups.com> <0bd0e81f-11a9-4f62-9e05-a1f7a5562a2bn@googlegroups.com> <4cgf4hda8nuci1thp43bommmrsroduff5a@4ax.com>
 by: max.it - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 07:59 UTC

On Sat, 02 Apr 2022 04:36:53 +0100, Mike Holmans <spam@jackalope.uk>
wrote:

>On Fri, 1 Apr 2022 19:37:46 -0700 (PDT), Hamish Laws
><hamish.laws@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I've never heard anyone say "the gap between Aus FC cricket and Tests is too much".
>>> I've heard countless elite English cricketers and coaches/staff say that of English FC cricket.
>>>
>>Ask Harris about that, or Phil Hughes, or Jacques, Dave Gilbert, David Hookes...
>>
>>History is full of Australian cricketers who've been at the top of the shield but haven't made it at international level.
>
>I can see that our nitwitted friend has failed to appreciate the point
>I made at length, which is that "tougher" doesn't necessarily mean
>"better". Pointing out that it is extremely tough to play cricket in
>freezing conditions on poor pitches but that you will be playing
>rotten cricket while you do it has NOTHING to do with the gap between
>FC and Test cricket and everything to do with whether the English
>system is *tougher* than the Australian.
>
>I know he far prefers to bandy round simple, meaningless slogans
>rather than engage with the problems which face us trying to improve
>the standard of English cricket, let alone offer constructive
>proposals to overcome them. He'd much rather stick his fingers in his
>ears and say "la-la-la-I can't hear you and anyway I'm right even
>though I haven't the first idea what I'm talking about".
>
>Cheers,
>
>Mike

Farbrace told BBC Radio WM: "The County Championship is alive and well
and producing high-quality players.

"It's really easy to kick it and say it's not producing players."

"That's rubbish," added the former England assistant coach. "It's a
cop-out. I've been on the other side of that.

"I've been with England teams that have lost overseas and the finger
always gets pointed at county cricket.

"Every time we lose in Australia we have some sort of review or report
into English cricket."

max.it

Re: Joe Root, the scapegoat

<am0g4h5f60anss0viqld89n1hqocs9i5ku@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20339&group=uk.sport.cricket#20339

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 09:35:12 +0100
References: <t1urli$p4$1@gioia.aioe.org> <05f8835f-0f9e-4cc0-acd0-c6e4f853919bn@googlegroups.com> <t251us$1lc5$2@gioia.aioe.org> <f09f3439-48f2-46d4-b5e7-c9e6d538a60fn@googlegroups.com> <t26nkj$1500$1@gioia.aioe.org> <bqod4h9618ec1dagfp9a0atd64jbceladk@4ax.com> <23e18e32-e3b6-4adb-8631-5005602eef48n@googlegroups.com> <0bd0e81f-11a9-4f62-9e05-a1f7a5562a2bn@googlegroups.com> <4cgf4hda8nuci1thp43bommmrsroduff5a@4ax.com> <dh0g4h5crrq52ppgqggbf2op37l0v3etrk@4ax.com>
 by: Mike Holmans - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 08:35 UTC

On Sat, 02 Apr 2022 08:59:03 +0100, max.it <max@tea.time> wrote:

>Farbrace told BBC Radio WM: "The County Championship is alive and well
>and producing high-quality players.
>
>"It's really easy to kick it and say it's not producing players."
>
>"That's rubbish," added the former England assistant coach. "It's a
>cop-out. I've been on the other side of that.
>
>"I've been with England teams that have lost overseas and the finger
>always gets pointed at county cricket.
>
>"Every time we lose in Australia we have some sort of review or report
>into English cricket."

And that's what's amusing about Col. Fredericks giving us orders. He
appears to believe that no-one in the last 50 years has noticed
anything wrong in English cricket and that nothing has been done or
ever will be done. Point out the massive range of mountains in between
here and our desired destination and he denies their existence and
says we've got to get there anyway.

And this with an understanding of cause and effect on a level with
"Australia have the best Test team because they have the most venomous
snakes. England only has adders, which are extremely unlikely to kill
anyone (and Ireland doesn't have any at all, so they haven't a hope).
The ECB needs to put moats around every ground and fill them with sea
snakes which are even more venomous."

In its first 15 years of existence, the ECB made massive changes to
English cricket and the Test team improved from bottom of the pile to
become holders of the ICC's Top Test team award, whatever it was
called at the time.

In its next 10 years, it took its eye off the red-ball product and
concentrated on the revenue while overseeing a massive improvement in
the white-ball team which took England from perennial jokes to World
Cup winners.

The product of this quarter-century of complete inactivity is where we
are now, and so there is a review going on to see what needs changing
this time round, what would achieve the relevant goals and how to put
those into action.

To point out that the obstacles which have always existed to some of
the solutions which sound nice in theory still exist and aren't going
to go away means, according to Mr Pighead, that one isn't interested
in solutions or doesn't accept the need for change. To point out that
people with current experience disagree with him about his basic
assumptions means that the people with current experience are wrong
and that we need to rely on the nostalgic impressions of someone who
played club cricket in England some decades ago because they are
infinitely more reliable. And he wonders why he gets people's backs
up.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Joe Root, the scapegoat

<696f0825-d390-4558-98db-14d7fd658398n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20342&group=uk.sport.cricket#20342

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 19:33:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 02:33 UTC

On Saturday, April 2, 2022 at 5:59:11 PM UTC+10, max.it wrote:
> Farbrace told BBC Radio WM: "The County Championship is alive and well
> and producing high-quality players.

Quite misleading.
No one has ever said it doesn't produce high-quality players.
The complaint is it doesn't produce *enough* of them.