Good advice is one of those insults that ought to be forgiven.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: The foreign player penny drops with RU players

SubjectAuthor
* The foreign player penny drops with RU playersRH
`* Re: The foreign player penny drops with RU playersRH
 `- Re: The foreign player penny drops with RU playersRH

1
The foreign player penny drops with RU players

<a2e53ae4-d3b5-4c23-9d13-f97a576be1d6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20343&group=uk.sport.cricket#20343

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 00:35:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: The foreign player penny drops with RU players
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 07:35 UTC

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2022/04/04/english-game-should-stop-wasting-millions-substandard-players/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr

Growing rugby is not just the RFU’s responsibility, and who knows better how to promote the game in each locality – a national governing body or those who live, work, and play there? What the game really needs is to make clear decisions about how many paying clubs it should allow and, if necessary, divide the governance of the professional and amateur games.. The professional and international games should guarantee funding for the grass roots and schools game which, lest they forget, is where players come from and without which they would cease to exist.

As for the elite level, the transfer rate from junior clubs or academies desperately needs sorting out. Ireland have a better Under-20 structure, which means their young players play and develop continually, unlike in England where some might have only a handful of games per season.

A minimum quota of England-qualified players in professional teams would also help with this problem, as it has done in France. Why be the paymasters for the rest of the world’s players? A reduced number of overseas players would mean only the better players are contracted and create more room for young domestic players.

A minimum quota of England-qualified players in professional teams would also help with this problem, as it has done in France. Why be the paymasters for the rest of the world’s players? A reduced number of overseas players would mean only the better players are contracted and create more room for young domestic players.

RH

Re: The foreign player penny drops with RU players

<a8e7ec1d-81b5-413e-90b5-bdd5d63f0254n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20344&group=uk.sport.cricket#20344

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 00:48:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The foreign player penny drops with RU players
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 07:48 UTC

On Monday, April 4, 2022 at 8:35:58 AM UTC+1, RH wrote:
> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2022/04/04/english-game-should-stop-wasting-millions-substandard-players/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr
>
> Growing rugby is not just the RFU’s responsibility, and who knows better how to promote the game in each locality – a national governing body or those who live, work, and play there? What the game really needs is to make clear decisions about how many paying clubs it should allow and, if necessary, divide the governance of the professional and amateur games. The professional and international games should guarantee funding for the grass roots and schools game which, lest they forget, is where players come from and without which they would cease to exist.
>
> As for the elite level, the transfer rate from junior clubs or academies desperately needs sorting out. Ireland have a better Under-20 structure, which means their young players play and develop continually, unlike in England where some might have only a handful of games per season.
>
> A minimum quota of England-qualified players in professional teams would also help with this problem, as it has done in France. Why be the paymasters for the rest of the world’s players? A reduced number of overseas players would mean only the better players are contracted and create more room for young domestic players.
>

> A minimum quota of England-qualified players in professional teams would also help with this problem, as it has done in France. Why be the paymasters for the rest of the world’s players? A reduced number of overseas players would mean only the better players are contracted and create more room for young domestic players.
>
> RH

Comment placed on the Telegraph website :

There is no reason why any player who is not English should play for English national sides or for English top level professional side.

English cricket in particular has suffered from foreign players seriously reducing opportunities for English players. The rot set in in 1969 when the two year qualification rule which had stood since the 19th century was revoked and since then English professional cricket has been saturated with foreigners - in a round of County Championship matches these days the 198 places often see more than 50 places taken by foreigners.

National sides should consist of players who are born and bred nationals of the country represented otherwise the very idea of national sides becomes a farce.

Re: The foreign player penny drops with RU players

<f5e7257a-1994-45bd-8996-925336964c8bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20347&group=uk.sport.cricket#20347

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 08:10:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 15:10 UTC

On Monday, April 4, 2022 at 8:48:37 AM UTC+1, RH wrote:
> On Monday, April 4, 2022 at 8:35:58 AM UTC+1, RH wrote:
> > https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2022/04/04/english-game-should-stop-wasting-millions-substandard-players/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr
> Comment placed on the Telegraph website :
>
> There is no reason why any player who is not English should play for English national sides or for English top level professional side.
>
> English cricket in particular has suffered from foreign players seriously reducing opportunities for English players. The rot set in in 1969 when the two year qualification rule which had stood since the 19th century was revoked and since then English professional cricket has been saturated with foreigners - in a round of County Championship matches these days the 198 places often see more than 50 places taken by foreigners.
>
> National sides should consist of players who are born and bred nationals of the country represented otherwise the very idea of national sides becomes a farce.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2022/04/04/english-game-should-stop-wasting-millions-substandard-players/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr

Further comment by me on the Telegraph website Robert Henderson
4 HRS AGO
Reply to RA Hoye - view message
Message Actions
The argument that foreign players improve English players has been shown by experience (although it was entirely predictable) to be damaging to English cricket (and other sports).
I grew up in the post war years immediately after WW2. when there were few foreigners in any of our major sports. In the case of cricket until the 2 year qualification rule was struck out in 1969 that remained the case. The consequence was English cricket remained competitive - the 1950s saw three consecutive Ashes wins, something not achieved since the 1880s.
No other major sporting nation handicaps itself by doing what English sporting sides do. That alone should knock the argument on its head. If it was such a good idea why would other more successful sides not adopt it? The obvious answer is that it is not a good idea.
By giving foreigners access to our top level sport and employing foreigners in English national teams we not only damage our top level sport we degrade the idea of national sides.