Rocksolid Light

Welcome to novaBBS (click a section below)

mail  files  register  newsreader  groups  login

Message-ID:  

19 May, 2024: Line wrapping has been changed to be more consistent with Usenet standards.
 If you find that it is broken please let me know here rocksolid.nodes.help


aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Thunderbird

SubjectAuthor
* ThunderbirdJane Vernon
+* Re: ThunderbirdSam Plusnet
|`* Re: ThunderbirdJane Vernon
| `* Re: ThunderbirdJane Vernon
|  `- Re: ThunderbirdJ. P. Gilliver
`- Re: Thunderbirdkosmo

1
Thunderbird

<l0qi1sF28fpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20514&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20514

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!news.samoylyk.net!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: spa...@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk (Jane Vernon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Thunderbird
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:45:33 +0000
Lines: 16
Message-ID: <l0qi1sF28fpU1@mid.individual.net>
Reply-To: jane@clothandclay.co.uk
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Trace: individual.net lbqp/V0kH9BYSu7xFxhgjwA40DabyRoZ8RyVGqRIwEsTqccQKR
Cancel-Lock: sha1:8CdW7XMFoaceY/Tj4oxZlbcXrwk= sha256:yg4scoPkcZ6HRSiGTxd5iEHjRHKntEeY5xV/6dCMUus=
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Content-Language: en-GB
 by: Jane Vernon - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:45 UTC

My Thunderbird is now displaying some messages as a thread and it's
impossible to get the individual messages to open. Other threads
display as individual messages. Any tips on how to solve this?

--
Jane
The Amethyst Artist
BTME

http://www.clothandclay.co.uk/umra/cookbook.htm - Umrats' recipes

Re: Thunderbird

<WQVpN.5660$RZad.1182@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20518&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20518

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!news.neodome.net!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!fx14.ams1.POSTED!not-for-mail
MIME-Version: 1.0
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Subject: Re: Thunderbird
Content-Language: en-GB
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
References: <l0qi1sF28fpU1@mid.individual.net>
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
In-Reply-To: <l0qi1sF28fpU1@mid.individual.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Lines: 24
Message-ID: <WQVpN.5660$RZad.1182@fx14.ams1>
X-Complaints-To: abuse(at)newshosting.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 19:25:42 UTC
Organization: Newshosting.com - Highest quality at a great price! www.newshosting.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 19:25:41 +0000
X-Received-Bytes: 1517
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 19:25 UTC

On 17-Jan-24 17:45, Jane Vernon wrote:
> My Thunderbird is now displaying some messages as a thread and it's
> impossible to get the individual messages to open.  Other threads
> display as individual messages.  Any tips on how to solve this?

What works for me is...

In the upper pane where the thread is condensed to only show the first
post, there is a 'carat' just before the "Subject" field, which is
pointing to the right.

Click on that 'carat' and it will rotate to point down, and the thread
will expand. Individual post can now be selected.

It makes no sense to me why 'they' chose to do this.

P.S. If you advance to the start of a thread using the "N" key, it
behaves sensibly.
(Opens the first post in the lower pane, and expands the thread in the
upper pane.)

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Thunderbird

<l0qu3gF4dopU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20522&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20522

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: spa...@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk (Jane Vernon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Thunderbird
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 21:11:13 +0000
Lines: 40
Message-ID: <l0qu3gF4dopU1@mid.individual.net>
References: <l0qi1sF28fpU1@mid.individual.net>
<WQVpN.5660$RZad.1182@fx14.ams1>
Reply-To: jane@clothandclay.co.uk
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Trace: individual.net OSS/9EwmTymHIg8Os0frNATtoEmHsH7eWwNAYI+Xc8sZmCpCqX
Cancel-Lock: sha1:shD/ERpcoBp000B9Cvb0BUvf6AM= sha256:ikrY4I+m+2cYuvC9Iak7eox8e3fvbcl3dJcHZJ/tfFg=
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Content-Language: en-GB
In-Reply-To: <WQVpN.5660$RZad.1182@fx14.ams1>
 by: Jane Vernon - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 21:11 UTC

On 17/01/2024 19:25, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 17-Jan-24 17:45, Jane Vernon wrote:
>> My Thunderbird is now displaying some messages as a thread and it's
>> impossible to get the individual messages to open.  Other threads
>> display as individual messages.  Any tips on how to solve this?
>
> What works for me is...
>
> In the upper pane where the thread is condensed to only show the first
> post, there is a 'carat' just before the "Subject" field, which is
> pointing to the right.
>
> Click on that 'carat' and it will rotate to point down, and the thread
> will expand. Individual post can now be selected.
>
> It makes no sense to me why 'they' chose to do this.
>
> P.S. If you advance to the start of a thread using the "N" key, it
> behaves sensibly.
> (Opens the first post in the lower pane, and expands the thread in the
> upper pane.)
>

If by carat you mean this: > then it doesn't always work in the way
you suggest. If it's not > then what is it?

--
Jane
The Amethyst Artist
BTME

http://www.clothandclay.co.uk/umra/cookbook.htm - Umrats' recipes

Re: Thunderbird

<l0qu5vF4dopU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20523&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20523

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!individual.net!not-for-mail
From: spa...@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk (Jane Vernon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Thunderbird
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 21:12:32 +0000
Lines: 45
Message-ID: <l0qu5vF4dopU2@mid.individual.net>
References: <l0qi1sF28fpU1@mid.individual.net>
<WQVpN.5660$RZad.1182@fx14.ams1> <l0qu3gF4dopU1@mid.individual.net>
Reply-To: jane@clothandclay.co.uk
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Trace: individual.net lwa3+H38iz/LshmpJRmbUg6vX+5iEGxBZHV+XD8pcqxrmuTP+o
Cancel-Lock: sha1:bdgDUsLPJeKzt/gJwI95CRlDDQ4= sha256:/6jwSd3p3NC9UdUzp6qZmsFuyrvKX+EBN35B8QvIk+g=
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
Content-Language: en-GB
In-Reply-To: <l0qu3gF4dopU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Jane Vernon - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 21:12 UTC

On 17/01/2024 21:11, Jane Vernon wrote:
> On 17/01/2024 19:25, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> On 17-Jan-24 17:45, Jane Vernon wrote:
>>> My Thunderbird is now displaying some messages as a thread and it's
>>> impossible to get the individual messages to open.  Other threads
>>> display as individual messages.  Any tips on how to solve this?
>>
>> What works for me is...
>>
>> In the upper pane where the thread is condensed to only show the first
>> post, there is a 'carat' just before the "Subject" field, which is
>> pointing to the right.
>>
>> Click on that 'carat' and it will rotate to point down, and the thread
>> will expand. Individual post can now be selected.
>>
>> It makes no sense to me why 'they' chose to do this.
>>
>> P.S. If you advance to the start of a thread using the "N" key, it
>> behaves sensibly.
>> (Opens the first post in the lower pane, and expands the thread in the
>> upper pane.)
>>
>
> If by carat you mean this:  >  then it doesn't always work in the way
> you suggest.  If it's not > then what is it?
>
>

Although sometimes toggling the circle (which I think means read or
unread) beside the first poster's name does the trick.

--
Jane
The Amethyst Artist
BTME

http://www.clothandclay.co.uk/umra/cookbook.htm - Umrats' recipes

Re: Thunderbird

<HzEve+stIIqlFw9M@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20524&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20524

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!news.1d4.us!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!diablo1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr2.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.22.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 01:48:11 +0000
Message-ID: <HzEve+stIIqlFw9M@255soft.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 01:43:09 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Thunderbird
References: <l0qi1sF28fpU1@mid.individual.net> <WQVpN.5660$RZad.1182@fx14.ams1> <l0qu3gF4dopU1@mid.individual.net> <l0qu5vF4dopU2@mid.individual.net>
Organization: 255 software
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;charset=iso-8859-1;format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
User-Agent: Turnpike/6.07-M (<rRyiwjjh8$K6zBJVMeM+Qd1tKy>)
X-Antivirus: AVG (VPS 240117-10, 2024-1-17), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
Lines: 71
X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
X-Trace: sv3-aGhKnOlSqWQtPqU9m1Og1uYtObWBH0y23SqaCKO+fq5s+gLqMRqFTPLPMXr0skqF15fp6CYxIktB9BK!X5Pds9kXjCF+I+fvaPVM/TzamaISfxu+SfREyLvv2msYFbTL8BeZEeSDHMOc02TN3igVO/u5
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 01:43 UTC

In message <l0qu5vF4dopU2@mid.individual.net> at Wed, 17 Jan 2024
21:12:32, Jane Vernon <spam@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk> writes
>On 17/01/2024 21:11, Jane Vernon wrote:
>> On 17/01/2024 19:25, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>>> On 17-Jan-24 17:45, Jane Vernon wrote:
>>>> My Thunderbird is now displaying some messages as a thread and it's
>>>>impossible to get the individual messages to open.  Other threads
>>>>display as individual messages.  Any tips on how to solve this?
>>>
>>> What works for me is...
>>>
>>> In the upper pane where the thread is condensed to only show the
>>>first post, there is a 'carat' just before the "Subject" field,
>>>which is pointing to the right.
>>>
>>> Click on that 'carat' and it will rotate to point down, and the
>>>thread will expand. Individual post can now be selected.
>>>
>>> It makes no sense to me why 'they' chose to do this.

Turnpike does something similar, and I suspect many newsreaders (and
some mail handlers) do too. The reason is: limited space, especially if
you don't let every tab/window/whatever run full screen, therefore
limited number of lines available; some people prefer to be able to see
more threads, some people prefer to see the individual posts in a thread
(and how they thread), which obviously means they can see fewer threads
in total. For example, in my view of UMRA at the moment, I can see
(counts) 17 threads (all currently "collapsed", i. e. taking one line
each); there is actually some space at the bottom. Each has a number
showing how many posts are in it (not all newsreaders may do that); the
biggest being the Horizon one, with 22. If I "expand" this (Thunderbird)
thread, it takes four lines rather than one, as I can now see the
individual posts. If I expand the Energy use one, it takes 14 lines,
pushing the threads below it out of the bottom of the window - I can
only see two of the following threads. _That_'s why "they" do this. Each
newsreader has a different way of showing whether a thread is "expanded"
or not: clearly TB uses ">" for not, "v" for expanded.
>>>
>>> P.S. If you advance to the start of a thread using the "N" key, it
>>>behaves sensibly.
>>> (Opens the first post in the lower pane, and expands the thread in
>>>the upper pane.)

That's assuming you have that arrangement selected (I think it's called
"preview pane" on). IIRR, TB has other options, such as opening in a
different tab. (When using it or similar newsreaders, I do prefer the
preview pane arrangement.)
>>>
>> If by carat you mean this:  >  then it doesn't always work in the
>>way you suggest.  If it's not > then what is it?
>>
Strictly caret (carat is a unit of weight, such as for weighing
diamonds) is only ^, the upward-pointing one; it's Latin for something
like "is missing", and dates from when we used to write it on paper to
insert text. I don't know if there's a name for the symbol when pointing
right or down though - I think I've seen people just call it arrow or
arrowhead.
>
>Although sometimes toggling the circle (which I think means read or
>unread) beside the first poster's name does the trick.
>
I think modern TB also has the option to not show read posts, which I'd
find confusing - but then I have expiry turned on (set to the default 3
days for most 'groups); I don't know if TB has expiry, and I can see if
it doesn't expire posts then seeing read ones could get very messy if
you see all posts back to the year dot. If it doesn't, I'm sure there's
an add-on that provides it.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Science fiction is escape into reality - Arthur C Clarke

Re: Thunderbird

<pkCdnaG8KImnZTX4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20533&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20533

  copy link   Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!news.samoylyk.net!news.szaf.org!news.datentrampelpfad.de!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer01.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer01.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!tr1.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr3.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.26.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 10:06:50 +0000
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 10:06:51 +0000
MIME-Version: 1.0
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:102.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/102.0 Thunderbird/102.15.1
Subject: Re: Thunderbird
Content-Language: en-GB
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
References: <l0qi1sF28fpU1@mid.individual.net>
From: kos...@whitnet.uk (kosmo)
In-Reply-To: <l0qi1sF28fpU1@mid.individual.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Message-ID: <pkCdnaG8KImnZTX4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
Lines: 13
X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
X-Trace: sv3-WiCM0MeOD5NdQLLAGXDspN9878h/mduIGJuQlftHsu3xRw5f1C7Un7ZUTGp6VirIEUxvdjIizjnVlB/!vghn21u4AOxN93/619hQbYANtFnB8pqk2xuJSxwlqdiGtL8amJmZfgXpz0e+t39vEUIOvx1A/NrP!44qDrwzWIhwRv+CXKnw+p5B8C81I
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers
X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
X-Postfilter: 1.3.40
X-Received-Bytes: 1795
 by: kosmo - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 10:06 UTC

On 17.1.24 17:45, Jane Vernon wrote:
> My Thunderbird is now displaying some messages as a thread and it's
> impossible to get the individual messages to open.  Other threads
> display as individual messages.  Any tips on how to solve this?
>

I wonder if changing the display to "unthreaded" and then resetting it
to "threaded" might help?

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
https://tinyurl.com/KRWpics


aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Thunderbird

1
server_pubkey.txt

rocksolid light 0.9.81
clearnet tor