Yow! Are we laid back yet?

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

SubjectAuthor
* Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideRH
`* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sidemike
 `* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideHamish Laws
  +- Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideRH
  `* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideMike Holmans
   `* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideMichael Gooding
    +* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideMike Holmans
    |`- Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sidemax.it
    +- Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideRH
    `* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideHamish Laws
     +* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideRH
     |`* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideNajeeb ybo
     | `- Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideRH
     `* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideAndy Walker
      +- Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideRH
      `* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideDavid North
       `* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideAndy Walker
        +* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideMike Holmans
        |`* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideAndy Walker
        | `- Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sidejack fredricks
        +- Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideDavid North
        `* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideMike Holmans
         `* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideDavid North
          `* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideMike Holmans
           `* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideAndy Walker
            +- Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sidemax.it
            +* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideMike Holmans
            |+- Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideMike Holmans
            |`* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideAndy Walker
            | +* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideMike Holmans
            | |+* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sidemax.it
            | ||`- Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideRH
            | |+* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideAndy Walker
            | ||+- Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideMike Holmans
            | ||`- Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideJohn Hall
            | |+- Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sidejack fredricks
            | |+- Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideHamish Laws
            | |`* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sidesteve hague
            | | `- Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sidemax.it
            | `* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideMike Holmans
            |  `* Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideAndy Walker
            |   `- Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sideMike Holmans
            `- Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the sidejack fredricks

Pages:12
Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<64123796-af40-46e3-a4fe-dc74466fd618n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20552&group=uk.sport.cricket#20552

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 03:01:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 10:01 UTC

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/04/27/ben-stokes-agrees-england-test-captain-want-james-anderson-stuart/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr
Ben Stokes agrees to be England Test captain and wants James Anderson and Stuart Broad to return
Stokes met director of cricket Rob Key last week and expressed his desire for the fast-bowling pair to be recalled to the side

By
Nick Hoult,
CHIEF CRICKET CORRESPONDENT
27 April 2022 • 9:32am
England's Ben Stokes (L) takes part in a trial match in Brisbane on December 2, 2021, the week before the start of the opening Ashes Test cricket match against Australia
Stokes has limited captaincy experience but was vice-captain to Joe Root for the majority of his time in charge CREDIT: PATRICK HAMILTON/AFP /AFP

Ben Stokes has agreed to be England’s next Test captain after meeting with new director of cricket Rob Key on Tuesday and wants to recall James Anderson and Stuart Broad.

The pair met for face to face talks for the first time since Key’s appointment last week with Stokes’s captaincy now going to the ECB for final rubber stamping before he is announced.

Key is due to hold his first press conference on Thursday at Lord’s and could then announce Stokes’s widely anticipated appointment. He is just working through the formal process of appointing a captain.
Read more at
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/04/27/ben-stokes-agrees-england-test-captain-want-james-anderson-stuart/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<f1357665-d000-4651-9397-e58c649f9290n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20553&group=uk.sport.cricket#20553

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 14:44:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Wed, 27 Apr 2022 21:44 UTC

On Wednesday, April 27, 2022 at 11:01:23 AM UTC+1, RH wrote:
> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/04/27/ben-stokes-agrees-england-test-captain-want-james-anderson-stuart/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr
> Ben Stokes agrees to be England Test captain and wants James Anderson and Stuart Broad to return
> Stokes met director of cricket Rob Key last week and expressed his desire for the fast-bowling pair to be recalled to the side
>
> By
> Nick Hoult,
> CHIEF CRICKET CORRESPONDENT
> 27 April 2022 • 9:32am
> England's Ben Stokes (L) takes part in a trial match in Brisbane on December 2, 2021, the week before the start of the opening Ashes Test cricket match against Australia
> Stokes has limited captaincy experience but was vice-captain to Joe Root for the majority of his time in charge CREDIT: PATRICK HAMILTON/AFP /AFP
>
> Ben Stokes has agreed to be England’s next Test captain after meeting with new director of cricket Rob Key on Tuesday and wants to recall James Anderson and Stuart Broad.
>
> The pair met for face to face talks for the first time since Key’s appointment last week with Stokes’s captaincy now going to the ECB for final rubber stamping before he is announced.
>
> Key is due to hold his first press conference on Thursday at Lord’s and could then announce Stokes’s widely anticipated appointment. He is just working through the formal process of appointing a captain.

thats 2 out of 2 for hussain so far. i just hope hes wrong about ponting. cant stand his squeaky voice.
however the vicecaptain position will be equally important seeing how stokes often has injury problems,
although i think he has just played 8 consecutive tests. so who will be VC? usually its a batter but
except for root there arnt many sure of thier place. Bairstow? Broad?

mike

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<32d96848-1fdb-45a4-90da-d18fcb6b61a4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20557&group=uk.sport.cricket#20557

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 19:51:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: hamish.l...@gmail.com (Hamish Laws)
 by: Hamish Laws - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 02:51 UTC

On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 7:44:54 AM UTC+10, mike wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 27, 2022 at 11:01:23 AM UTC+1, RH wrote:
> > https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/04/27/ben-stokes-agrees-england-test-captain-want-james-anderson-stuart/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr
> > Ben Stokes agrees to be England Test captain and wants James Anderson and Stuart Broad to return
> > Stokes met director of cricket Rob Key last week and expressed his desire for the fast-bowling pair to be recalled to the side
> >
> > By
> > Nick Hoult,
> > CHIEF CRICKET CORRESPONDENT
> > 27 April 2022 • 9:32am
> > England's Ben Stokes (L) takes part in a trial match in Brisbane on December 2, 2021, the week before the start of the opening Ashes Test cricket match against Australia
> > Stokes has limited captaincy experience but was vice-captain to Joe Root for the majority of his time in charge CREDIT: PATRICK HAMILTON/AFP /AFP
> >
> > Ben Stokes has agreed to be England’s next Test captain after meeting with new director of cricket Rob Key on Tuesday and wants to recall James Anderson and Stuart Broad.
> >
> > The pair met for face to face talks for the first time since Key’s appointment last week with Stokes’s captaincy now going to the ECB for final rubber stamping before he is announced.
> >
> > Key is due to hold his first press conference on Thursday at Lord’s and could then announce Stokes’s widely anticipated appointment. He is just working through the formal process of appointing a captain.
> thats 2 out of 2 for hussain so far. i just hope hes wrong about ponting. cant stand his squeaky voice.
> however the vicecaptain position will be equally important seeing how stokes often has injury problems,
> although i think he has just played 8 consecutive tests. so who will be VC? usually its a batter but
> except for root there arnt many sure of thier place. Bairstow? Broad?

It seems to me that Stokes is the best choice for the captaincy, England looked better in the field when he was running things than when Root was in the Ashes.
My big concern would be if he decides he needs to inspire the team and tries to bowl too much.
My feeling is he now needs to be a batsman who might bowl 10 overs in an innings rather than an allrounder as his body isn't holding up too well when he bowls more.

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<e8d667a1-f161-4d62-a925-466f58d0ebc2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20558&group=uk.sport.cricket#20558

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 22:54:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 05:54 UTC

On Friday, April 29, 2022 at 3:51:06 AM UTC+1, hamis...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, April 28, 2022 at 7:44:54 AM UTC+10, mike wrote:
> > On Wednesday, April 27, 2022 at 11:01:23 AM UTC+1, RH wrote:
> > > https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2022/04/27/ben-stokes-agrees-england-test-captain-want-james-anderson-stuart/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr
> > > Ben Stokes agrees to be England Test captain and wants James Anderson and Stuart Broad to return
> > > Stokes met director of cricket Rob Key last week and expressed his desire for the fast-bowling pair to be recalled to the side
> > >
> > > By
> > > Nick Hoult,
> > > CHIEF CRICKET CORRESPONDENT
> > > 27 April 2022 • 9:32am
> > > England's Ben Stokes (L) takes part in a trial match in Brisbane on December 2, 2021, the week before the start of the opening Ashes Test cricket match against Australia
> > > Stokes has limited captaincy experience but was vice-captain to Joe Root for the majority of his time in charge CREDIT: PATRICK HAMILTON/AFP /AFP
> > >
> > > Ben Stokes has agreed to be England’s next Test captain after meeting with new director of cricket Rob Key on Tuesday and wants to recall James Anderson and Stuart Broad.
> > >
> > > The pair met for face to face talks for the first time since Key’s appointment last week with Stokes’s captaincy now going to the ECB for final rubber stamping before he is announced.
> > >
> > > Key is due to hold his first press conference on Thursday at Lord’s and could then announce Stokes’s widely anticipated appointment. He is just working through the formal process of appointing a captain..
> > thats 2 out of 2 for hussain so far. i just hope hes wrong about ponting. cant stand his squeaky voice.
> > however the vicecaptain position will be equally important seeing how stokes often has injury problems,
> > although i think he has just played 8 consecutive tests. so who will be VC? usually its a batter but
> > except for root there arnt many sure of thier place. Bairstow? Broad?
> >
> It seems to me that Stokes is the best choice for the captaincy, England looked better in the field when he was running things than when Root was in the Ashes.
> My big concern would be if he decides he needs to inspire the team and tries to bowl too much.
> My feeling is he now needs to be a batsman who might bowl 10 overs in an innings rather than an allrounder as his body isn't holding up too well when he bowls more.

That would present a problem because England often play four pace bowlers these days and having one of the four unable to take on a full stint could place too heavy a load on the others especially if Anderson or Broad or both play. There is also the question of how fit Wood will be. All of that will make it more difficult for a frontline spinner to hold a regular Test place.
RH

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<h1dn6h5qfbc77krv0rstqfg48t70v3pm1a@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20559&group=uk.sport.cricket#20559

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 10:59:36 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 09:59 UTC

On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 19:51:04 -0700 (PDT), Hamish Laws
<hamish.laws@gmail.com> wrote:

>It seems to me that Stokes is the best choice for the captaincy, England looked better in the field when he was running things than when Root was in the Ashes.
>My big concern would be if he decides he needs to inspire the team and tries to bowl too much.
>My feeling is he now needs to be a batsman who might bowl 10 overs in an innings rather than an allrounder as his body isn't holding up too well when he bowls more.

It's going to depend a lot on the other bowlers. If they take wickets,
he won't need to bowl. If they persist with taking Woakes on tour,
he'll be bowling all the time.

One tiny straw in that win is that the reason Saqib Mahmood turned
down an IPL contract was that Stokes had told him to get into the red
ball groove.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<8e9d57ee-46d7-4dd9-9109-310daa631e37n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20561&group=uk.sport.cricket#20561

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 05:05:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: michaelg...@yahoo.co.uk (Michael Gooding)
 by: Michael Gooding - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 12:05 UTC

He's a match winner with bat and ball, so let's completely stuff him up by making him captain.

I'd be happier to see Morgan back as captain - with our batting in its current state he wouldn't weaken it.

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<j9ln6h5psdmat5i36vmg4a1mu3d1hf039a@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20562&group=uk.sport.cricket#20562

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 13:12:01 +0100
 by: Mike Holmans - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 12:12 UTC

On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 05:05:57 -0700 (PDT), Michael Gooding
<michaelgooding@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>He's a match winner with bat and ball, so let's completely stuff him up by making him captain.
>
>I'd be happier to see Morgan back as captain - with our batting in its current state he wouldn't weaken it.

Were the ECB and Morgan to take leave of their senses for long enough
to make that move, I wonder how long it would be before you were
criticising the England batsmen for their all-out attack whatever the
circumstances.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<5c8e193a-99b8-4d5f-9e7e-a5cbac26b8fan@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20564&group=uk.sport.cricket#20564

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 07:37:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 14:37 UTC

On Friday, April 29, 2022 at 1:05:57 PM UTC+1, Michael Gooding wrote:
> He's a match winner with bat and ball, so let's completely stuff him up by making him captain.
>
> I'd be happier to see Morgan back as captain - with our batting in its current state he wouldn't weaken it.

It is very simple to dismiss Morgan in FC cricket. First set a couple of gullies. You get a quick bowler to bowl short round the wicket with the ball pitching a few inches outside the wicket. It won't be long before Morgan spoons the ball to one of the gullies. RH

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<rf2o6h9o3994grvqvqi66477ifdvohgtsi@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20565&group=uk.sport.cricket#20565

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 16:56:14 +0100
 by: max.it - Fri, 29 Apr 2022 15:56 UTC

On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 13:12:01 +0100, Mike Holmans <spam@jackalope.uk>
wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Apr 2022 05:05:57 -0700 (PDT), Michael Gooding
><michaelgooding@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>He's a match winner with bat and ball, so let's completely stuff him up by making him captain.
>>
>>I'd be happier to see Morgan back as captain - with our batting in its current state he wouldn't weaken it.
>
>Were the ECB and Morgan to take leave of their senses for long enough
>to make that move, I wonder how long it would be before you were
>criticising the England batsmen for their all-out attack whatever the
>circumstances.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Mike

It wouldn't surprise me if Morgan retired and became white ball coach
of some team or other and Buttler became England captain.

max.it

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<732653ab-dc11-4cd9-834b-cdf5932f3729n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20567&group=uk.sport.cricket#20567

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 20:09:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: hamish.l...@gmail.com (Hamish Laws)
 by: Hamish Laws - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 03:09 UTC

On Friday, April 29, 2022 at 10:05:57 PM UTC+10, Michael Gooding wrote:
> He's a match winner with bat and ball, so let's completely stuff him up by making him captain.
>
> I'd be happier to see Morgan back as captain - with our batting in its current state he wouldn't weaken it.

Morgan seems not to have played a first class match since 2019...

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<55068e0a-8124-4322-a126-6a2ef0b017f9n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20568&group=uk.sport.cricket#20568

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 00:09:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 07:09 UTC

On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 4:09:42 AM UTC+1, hamis...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, April 29, 2022 at 10:05:57 PM UTC+10, Michael Gooding wrote:
> > He's a match winner with bat and ball, so let's completely stuff him up by making him captain.
> >
> > I'd be happier to see Morgan back as captain - with our batting in its current state he wouldn't weaken it.
> Morgan seems not to have played a first class match since 2019...

There is a very good reason got that, he can't competently handle the short fast stuff. RH

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<t4iu13$1pqj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20569&group=uk.sport.cricket#20569

From: anw...@cuboid.co.uk (Andy Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 10:03:31 +0100
 by: Andy Walker - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:03 UTC

On 30/04/2022 04:09, Hamish Laws wrote:
> Morgan seems not to have played a first class match since 2019...

Alex Hales [eg] hasn't played one since 2017; I don't know
whether or not he would answer a call to the Test side, where he would
surely be better than many of those actually invited. We have to
accept that professional cricket has evolved. Red-ball and white-ball
cricket are as different as pitch-and-putt and "proper" golf. We can
expect those who are international standard at either to be pretty
good at the other, but we can also expect them to specialise. As
always in professional sport, you have to follow the money in order
to understand what has happened. Or read recent [auto-]biographies
to understand what has happened to particular players.

--
Andy Walker, Nottingham.
Andy's music pages: www.cuboid.me.uk/andy/Music

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<ca2f8338-ba63-43de-a954-e950107b794en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20574&group=uk.sport.cricket#20574

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 03:41:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 10:41 UTC

On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 10:03:36 AM UTC+1, Andy Walker wrote:
> On 30/04/2022 04:09, Hamish Laws wrote:
> > Morgan seems not to have played a first class match since 2019...
> Alex Hales [eg] hasn't played one since 2017; I don't know
> whether or not he would answer a call to the Test side, where he would
> surely be better than many of those actually invited. We have to
> accept that professional cricket has evolved. Red-ball and white-ball
> cricket are as different as pitch-and-putt and "proper" golf. We can
> expect those who are international standard at either to be pretty
> good at the other, but we can also expect them to specialise. As
> always in professional sport, you have to follow the money in order
> to understand what has happened. Or read recent [auto-]biographies
> to understand what has happened to particular players.
>
> --
> Andy Walker, Nottingham.
> Andy's music pages: www.cuboid.me.uk/andy/Music
> Composer of the day: www.cuboid.me.uk/andy/Music/Composers/Henselt

He needs to play regular FC cricket before Test cricket. RH

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<51a77a48-c89d-4280-b68e-e253084d8f89n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20575&group=uk.sport.cricket#20575

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 04:59:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: najeeb...@gmail.com (Najeeb ybo)
 by: Najeeb ybo - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:59 UTC

On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 08:09:20 UTC+1, RH wrote:
> On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 4:09:42 AM UTC+1, hamis...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Friday, April 29, 2022 at 10:05:57 PM UTC+10, Michael Gooding wrote:
> > > He's a match winner with bat and ball, so let's completely stuff him up by making him captain.
> > >
> > > I'd be happier to see Morgan back as captain - with our batting in its current state he wouldn't weaken it.
> > Morgan seems not to have played a first class match since 2019...
> There is a very good reason got that, he can't competently handle the short fast stuff. RH

Short fast bowling in the CC? Of course there is hahahaha, and it's churning out fantastic batsmen for England.

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<0e4cd6a3-8866-4cae-b056-f61bb16e917an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20577&group=uk.sport.cricket#20577

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 23:34:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (RH)
 by: RH - Sun, 1 May 2022 06:34 UTC

On Saturday, April 30, 2022 at 12:59:56 PM UTC+1, Najeeb ybo wrote:
> On Saturday, 30 April 2022 at 08:09:20 UTC+1, RH wrote:

> > > Morgan seems not to have played a first class match since 2019...
> > There is a very good reason got that, he can't competently handle the short fast stuff. RH
> Short fast bowling in the CC? Of course there is hahahaha, and it's churning out fantastic batsmen for England.

Plenty of bowlers in the CC who can bowl at 85mph plus. Next!
RH

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<jd7l6mFbcr1U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20580&group=uk.sport.cricket#20580

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 15:53:10 +0100
 by: David North - Sun, 1 May 2022 14:53 UTC

On 30/04/2022 10:03, Andy Walker wrote:
> On 30/04/2022 04:09, Hamish Laws wrote:
>> Morgan seems not to have played a first class match since 2019...
>
>     Alex Hales [eg] hasn't played one since 2017;  I don't know
> whether or not he would answer a call to the Test side, where he would
> surely be better than many of those actually invited.

Surely? The selectors probably thought that about most of them when they
picked them, including Hales himself. His results in 11 Tests were much
the same as theirs. If he has surely improved by not playing FC cricket
for 4 of the intervening 5 seasons, and not even playing anything longer
than a T20 for 3 years come Thursday week, then someone must be missing
a trick. ;)

--
David North

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<t4mci1$1s2j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20581&group=uk.sport.cricket#20581

From: anw...@cuboid.co.uk (Andy Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 17:29:52 +0100
 by: Andy Walker - Sun, 1 May 2022 16:29 UTC

On 01/05/2022 15:53, David North wrote:
> On 30/04/2022 10:03, Andy Walker wrote:
>> On 30/04/2022 04:09, Hamish Laws wrote:
>>> Morgan seems not to have played a first class match since 2019...
>>      Alex Hales [eg] hasn't played one since 2017;  I don't know
>> whether or not he would answer a call to the Test side, where he would
>> surely be better than many of those actually invited.
> Surely? The selectors probably thought that about most of them when
> they picked them, including Hales himself.

Unclear. (a) There have been hints of desperation at time, (b)
not least in the past couple of years because of the effects of bubbling;
and (c) ...

> His results in 11 Tests
> were much the same as theirs.

... if he was "much the same" as other picks, placing him, in
your view, as somewhere near the median, that already suggests that a
lot of those others were worse.

But in any case, I wasn't really advocating a return for Hales.
A while back, when things really did seem desperate, it seemed to me
possible that picking Roy and Hales, with instructions to play their
natural game, could scarcely lead to worse results than our habitual
27-3 after an hour or so, and once per season might result in the
side being 200-0 by lunch on day 1. But those days have passed. My
current point is, rather, that we need to get used to the red/white
ball games being virtually disjoint. It will become increasingly rare
for 4/5-day players to be also in the T20 squad, at both f-c and Test
levels, and not just in England. OTOH, if Morgan is deemed to be so
good a captain that he is worth picking largely on that basis, than I
don't see that his lack of recent f-c batting matters.

> If he has surely improved by not
> playing FC cricket for 4 of the intervening 5 seasons, and not even
> playing anything longer than a T20 for 3 years come Thursday week,
> then someone must be missing a trick. ;)

Improved, let alone "surely" improved, is your interpolation.
But I don't see why he should be much, if any, worse. It's not as
though he hasn't been playing /any/ cricket over the period, let
alone any cricket at a high level in front of noisy crowds. There
is prior art in cricketers coming back after WW1 and WW2 after several
years without f-c cricket and dropping straight back into it with
decent success.

--
Andy Walker, Nottingham.
Andy's music pages: www.cuboid.me.uk/andy/Music
Composer of the day: www.cuboid.me.uk/andy/Music/Composers/Palmgren

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<kiht6hhrrava68gocivhe59k9jd3i4j9c3@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20582&group=uk.sport.cricket#20582

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 20:09:01 +0100
References: <64123796-af40-46e3-a4fe-dc74466fd618n@googlegroups.com> <f1357665-d000-4651-9397-e58c649f9290n@googlegroups.com> <32d96848-1fdb-45a4-90da-d18fcb6b61a4n@googlegroups.com> <h1dn6h5qfbc77krv0rstqfg48t70v3pm1a@4ax.com> <8e9d57ee-46d7-4dd9-9109-310daa631e37n@googlegroups.com> <732653ab-dc11-4cd9-834b-cdf5932f3729n@googlegroups.com> <t4iu13$1pqj$1@gioia.aioe.org> <jd7l6mFbcr1U1@mid.individual.net> <t4mci1$1s2j$1@gioia.aioe.org>
 by: Mike Holmans - Sun, 1 May 2022 19:09 UTC

On Sun, 1 May 2022 17:29:52 +0100, Andy Walker <anw@cuboid.co.uk>
wrote:

> But those days have passed. My
>current point is, rather, that we need to get used to the red/white
>ball games being virtually disjoint. It will become increasingly rare
>for 4/5-day players to be also in the T20 squad, at both f-c and Test
>levels, and not just in England. OTOH, if Morgan is deemed to be so
>good a captain that he is worth picking largely on that basis, than I
>don't see that his lack of recent f-c batting matters.
But his lack of red-ball playing experience would. As you say, the
formats are now so different that what works and what doesn't is
different, and the objectives are also different. Great on-field
captaincy is about understanding the format and how players will act
and react in the current circumstances. You don't need to captain to
learn how red-ball cricketers do things, but you do need to do them
yourself.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<jd85hkFeekhU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20583&group=uk.sport.cricket#20583

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 20:32:05 +0100
 by: David North - Sun, 1 May 2022 19:32 UTC

On 01/05/2022 17:29, Andy Walker wrote:
> On 01/05/2022 15:53, David North wrote:
>>>      Alex Hales [eg] hasn't played one since 2017;  I don't know
>>> whether or not he would answer a call to the Test side, where he would
>>> surely be better than many of those actually invited.
>> Surely? The selectors probably thought that about most of them when
>> they picked them, including Hales himself.
>
>     Unclear.  (a) There have been hints of desperation at time, (b)
> not least in the past couple of years because of the effects of bubbling;
> and (c) ...
>
>>                          His results in 11 Tests
>> were much the same as theirs.
>
>     ... if he was "much the same" as other picks, placing him, in
> your view, as somewhere near the median, that already suggests that a
> lot of those others were worse.

I meant that he was much the same as the "many of those actually
invited" who you referred to, which I assumed excluded Root, Stokes and
probably Bairstow. The vast majority of the others who have debuted in
the last decade have averaged between 24 and 32 (Hales 27.68), and there
doesn't seem to have been much to choose between any of those. The only
ones below 24 have been Lees, Lyth, Roy and Duckett, who have only
played between 3 and 7 Tests (and Lees is highly likely to get more
chances to improve his record this summer), and the only one above 32
was Ballance (37).

--snip--

>>                 If he has surely improved by not
>> playing FC cricket for 4 of the intervening 5 seasons, and not even
>> playing anything longer than a T20 for 3 years come Thursday week,
>> then someone must be missing a trick. ;)
>
>     Improved, let alone "surely" improved, is your interpolation.

Yes, but that (kind of) follows from the above. Of course, he may have
already been better than his stats suggest, but so might some of the others.

> But I don't see why he should be much, if any, worse.  It's not as
> though he hasn't been playing /any/ cricket over the period, let
> alone any cricket at a high level in front of noisy crowds.  There
> is prior art in cricketers coming back after WW1 and WW2 after several
> years without f-c cricket and dropping straight back into it with
> decent success.

I wasn't ruling out the possibility of him doing better than many of the
others; it was the "surely" that I was questioning.

--
David North

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<npqt6hlk7rqbn64tb2m6o7kfkr6h8au5mb@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20586&group=uk.sport.cricket#20586

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 01 May 2022 21:56:30 +0100
References: <64123796-af40-46e3-a4fe-dc74466fd618n@googlegroups.com> <f1357665-d000-4651-9397-e58c649f9290n@googlegroups.com> <32d96848-1fdb-45a4-90da-d18fcb6b61a4n@googlegroups.com> <h1dn6h5qfbc77krv0rstqfg48t70v3pm1a@4ax.com> <8e9d57ee-46d7-4dd9-9109-310daa631e37n@googlegroups.com> <732653ab-dc11-4cd9-834b-cdf5932f3729n@googlegroups.com> <t4iu13$1pqj$1@gioia.aioe.org> <jd7l6mFbcr1U1@mid.individual.net> <t4mci1$1s2j$1@gioia.aioe.org>
 by: Mike Holmans - Sun, 1 May 2022 20:56 UTC

wrote:

> My
>current point is, rather, that we need to get used to the red/white
>ball games being virtually disjoint. It will become increasingly rare
>for 4/5-day players to be also in the T20 squad, at both f-c and Test
>levels, and not just in England.

That certainly seems to be the case in England, who are at the bottom
of the Test rankings.

The Final of the World Test Championship was played between teams who
have been more successful at Test cricket of late. 7 members of the
Indian side and 5 of the NZ side met a few months later in the World
T20 - and at least another couple of that NZ T20 side are regular
though not ever-present Test players. 7 of Australia's World
T20-winning team played in the Ashes with depressing success.

It's true that several years ago, Australia's Test and white ball
teams only had a couple of players in common, and there was a lot of
talk then about how Australia was pioneering the inevitable
disjunction. It didn't work then, and wouldn't be tried now. Which
isn't to say that it won't in the future, of course. I'd agree that it
makes intuitive sense, but what little history we have seems to point
the other way. It seems to be a sign of weakness if most players can
only make the grade in one format.

Certain functions within both Test and T20 teams are best performed by
people who specialise in that skill - having five different slower
balls isn't much use in Tests, and being able to stonewall for seven
hours is useless in T20 - but if your players are good enough, they'll
be able to play any format.

We can go on to talk about reward structures and workload management
having considerable effect on the incidence of multi-format players,
particularly as they age and standing in the field for 20 overs is a
good deal more tolerable than a day and a half of it, but from a
skills and ability point of view, commonality between Test and T20
teams seems to be the recipe for success.
Cheers,

Mike

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<jd92kiFjldaU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20587&group=uk.sport.cricket#20587

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 04:48:35 +0100
 by: David North - Mon, 2 May 2022 03:48 UTC

On 01/05/2022 21:56, Mike Holmans wrote:
> On Sun, 1 May 2022 17:29:52 +0100, Andy Walker <anw@cuboid.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> My
>> current point is, rather, that we need to get used to the red/white
>> ball games being virtually disjoint. It will become increasingly rare
>> for 4/5-day players to be also in the T20 squad, at both f-c and Test
>> levels, and not just in England.
>
> That certainly seems to be the case in England, who are at the bottom
> of the Test rankings.

That's the WTC table. They are still as high as 5th in the rankings.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/rankings/mens/team-rankings/test

--
David North

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<e2cv6hpm69tglke8cevdt058j651o53d5i@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20591&group=uk.sport.cricket#20591

From: spa...@jackalope.uk (Mike Holmans)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 11:44:49 +0100
References: <f1357665-d000-4651-9397-e58c649f9290n@googlegroups.com> <32d96848-1fdb-45a4-90da-d18fcb6b61a4n@googlegroups.com> <h1dn6h5qfbc77krv0rstqfg48t70v3pm1a@4ax.com> <8e9d57ee-46d7-4dd9-9109-310daa631e37n@googlegroups.com> <732653ab-dc11-4cd9-834b-cdf5932f3729n@googlegroups.com> <t4iu13$1pqj$1@gioia.aioe.org> <jd7l6mFbcr1U1@mid.individual.net> <t4mci1$1s2j$1@gioia.aioe.org> <npqt6hlk7rqbn64tb2m6o7kfkr6h8au5mb@4ax.com> <jd92kiFjldaU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Mike Holmans - Mon, 2 May 2022 10:44 UTC

On Mon, 2 May 2022 04:48:35 +0100, David North
<nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>On 01/05/2022 21:56, Mike Holmans wrote:
>> On Sun, 1 May 2022 17:29:52 +0100, Andy Walker <anw@cuboid.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> My
>>> current point is, rather, that we need to get used to the red/white
>>> ball games being virtually disjoint. It will become increasingly rare
>>> for 4/5-day players to be also in the T20 squad, at both f-c and Test
>>> levels, and not just in England.
>>
>> That certainly seems to be the case in England, who are at the bottom
>> of the Test rankings.
>
>That's the WTC table. They are still as high as 5th in the rankings.
>
>https://www.icc-cricket.com/rankings/mens/team-rankings/test

Oh. The point still stands that the most successful current Test teams
have 7 of their white-ball international team, and that Australia
tried going down the road of almost complete separation 10 years ago
and have abandoned it as being highly detrimental.

I'd agree that that is not the result I would have expected, but it
certainly leads me to doubt Andy's prediction.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<t4p2ku$788$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20595&group=uk.sport.cricket#20595

From: anw...@cuboid.co.uk (Andy Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 17:59:04 +0100
 by: Andy Walker - Mon, 2 May 2022 16:59 UTC

On 01/05/2022 20:09, Mike Holmans wrote:
[...]
>> OTOH, if Morgan is deemed to be so
>> good a captain that he is worth picking largely on that basis, than I
>> don't see that his lack of recent f-c batting matters.
> But his lack of red-ball playing experience would.

??? He has played over 100 f-c matches and has played for England
in Tests. I would be [very] surprised if his is the least experience that
any Test captain has had. Perhaps even if confined to modern times, and/or
England, and/or "successful"?

> As you say, the
> formats are now so different that what works and what doesn't is
> different, and the objectives are also different.

Yes, but the evolution has almost all been in the white-ball game,
and I suspect that changes in the red-ball game are mostly, if not all,
spill-overs from the shorter formats. [Eg, we are no longer surprised to
see f-c and Test players using T20 strokes, or scoring on day one at rates
that used to be confined to last-afternoon run chases.]

> Great on-field
> captaincy is about understanding the format and how players will act
> and react in the current circumstances. You don't need to captain to
> learn how red-ball cricketers do things, but you do need to do them
> yourself.

I don't see that "understanding the format" can be so hard, given
that all professional cricket commentators/journalists/writers [many of
whom have no f-c experience at all], let alone all writers here [inc you
and RH], seem able to pontificate about it. Tactical nous and man-
management are the most important aspects of captaincy, and ISTM there
are only a very few ways in these differ interestingly between the formats.
[I'm not saying /no/ ways.] May also be worth noting that /some/ of the
things that used to be down to the captain [esp strengths and weaknesses
of players] are these days served up on a plate by the analysts.

FTAOD, I'm not advocating that Morgan should have been appointed
England captain rather than Stokes. But he should not be ruled out merely
because of his lack of recent f-c experience.

--
Andy Walker, Nottingham.
Andy's music pages: www.cuboid.me.uk/andy/Music
Composer of the day: www.cuboid.me.uk/andy/Music/Composers/Galos

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<5628f627-c783-4f61-99b0-a5cb0692136fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20597&group=uk.sport.cricket#20597

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 14:32:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: jzfredri...@gmail.com (jack fredricks)
 by: jack fredricks - Mon, 2 May 2022 21:32 UTC

On Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at 2:59:17 AM UTC+10, Andy Walker wrote:
> FTAOD, I'm not advocating that Morgan should have been appointed
> England captain rather than Stokes. But he should not be ruled out merely
> because of his lack of recent f-c experience.

I was going to ask "can Morgan even hold a spot in the team?"... but sadly the answer is obvious - only 1 batsman can. The other 4/5 spots a just filled by seat-warmers.

Re: Stokes is captain and wants sAnderson and Broad in the side

<t4plcg$vkv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20598&group=uk.sport.cricket#20598

From: anw...@cuboid.co.uk (Andy Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 23:18:56 +0100
 by: Andy Walker - Mon, 2 May 2022 22:18 UTC

On 02/05/2022 11:44, Mike Holmans wrote:
[...]
> The point still stands that the most successful current Test teams
> have 7 of their white-ball international team, and that Australia
> tried going down the road of almost complete separation 10 years ago
> and have abandoned it as being highly detrimental.

Lot of water under the bridge in the last ten years. Also, results
in the past couple of years have been strongly affected by the stresses and
strains of "bubbling" and other related aspects of dealing with Covid.

> I'd agree that that is not the result I would have expected, but it
> certainly leads me to doubt Andy's prediction.

To repeat -- follow the money. Many players are turning their
backs on "long" cricket. Today, it's mostly experienced players who
are thereby extending their careers. But "The Secret Cricketer" points
out that if the choice is to spend April in England bowling for a large
part of four days in cold damp weather or in a sunny clime in front of
a large crowd bowling four overs per match for more money, it's a no-
brainer.

I just don't see how the CC, however "interesting" it may be
to us purists, is viable long term. It will take a while, but the whole
balance of top cricket is bound to shift. Forms of cricket that run at
a loss will decline, those that generate large profits will thrive, and
top players will follow the success. So T20 good, Test cricket good in
England for the time being, not so hot elsewhere, ListA a bit so-so, CC
bad [FTAOD, not bad cricket, just bad for the game's finances]. I don't
know where "The Hundred" will fit in longer-term; I think it will need a
few years to bed in, but I wish "Trent Rockets" had been an East Midlands
side rather than a few Notts players and a lot of imports while the rest
of the Notts side is playing elsewhere.