Expect a letter from a friend who will ask a favor of you.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

SubjectAuthor
* Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?Philip Herlihy
+* Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?Jeff Gaines
|`- Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?Philip Herlihy
+* Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?Jaimie Vandenbergh
|+* Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?Jaimie Vandenbergh
||`* Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?Philip Herlihy
|| `- Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?Chris
|+- Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?Philip Herlihy
|`* Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?Philip Herlihy
| `* Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?Theo
|  `* Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?Philip Herlihy
|   `* Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?Chris
|    `* Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?Andy
|     +- Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?Andy
|     `- Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?Philip Herlihy
`* Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?The Other John
 +- Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?Philip Herlihy
 `* Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?Philip Herlihy
  `* Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?The Other John
   `* Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?Philip Herlihy
    `- Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?Andy Burns

1
Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<MPG.3caaa556f85b8e079899c6@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2034&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2034

From: PhillipH...@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:46:47 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 16:46 UTC

I've been struggling to upgrade an Acer Aspire laptop from W8.1 to W10, in the
hope the free upgrade route still works for my friend.

I've tried six times so far - keeps failing with a bald message (no code)
"Windows 10 installation has failed". I've tried every workaround I could find
online - still no joy. The "try this, then this..." sites all end up with a
clean installation, but (as I understand it) that's more likely to demand a
paid license for W10. Question: Is there anywhere you can get *legal* licenses
at a healthy discount (if it turns out I need one)?

Meanwhile, having discussed with the owner the likely loss of third-party
applications, the next step is to Refresh the existing Windows installation (I
have an image of the disk in case things go wrong). An attempt to run:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
... failed (huge log file with many instances of the string "fail" in it!),
which might be a clue to the underlying problem.

--

Phil, London

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<xn0nfvgqr6y8ndm00l@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2035&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2035

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?
Date: 27 Mar 2022 17:12:13 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:12 UTC

On 27/03/2022 in message
<MPG.3caaa556f85b8e079899c6@news.eternal-september.org> Philip Herlihy
wrote:

>I've been struggling to upgrade an Acer Aspire laptop from W8.1 to W10, in
>the
>hope the free upgrade route still works for my friend.
>
>I've tried six times so far - keeps failing with a bald message (no code)
>"Windows 10 installation has failed". I've tried every workaround I could
>find
>online - still no joy. The "try this, then this..." sites all end up with
>clean installation, but (as I understand it) that's more likely to demand a
>paid license for W10. Question: Is there anywhere you can get legal
>licenses
>at a healthy discount (if it turns out I need one)?
>
>Meanwhile, having discussed with the owner the likely loss of third-party
>applications, the next step is to Refresh the existing Windows
>installation (I
>have an image of the disk in case things go wrong). An attempt to run:
> DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
>.. failed (huge log file with many instances of the string "fail" in it!),
>which might be a clue to the underlying problem.

I have done recent "upgrades" with both Win7 & Win8 licences with no
issues. It really is worth doing a clean install though.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I take full responsibility for what happened - that is why the person that

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<jabl4rFkf7uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2036&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2036

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 27 Mar 2022 17:27:55 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:27 UTC

On 27 Mar 2022 at 17:46:47 BST, "Philip Herlihy"
<PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid> wrote:

> I've been struggling to upgrade an Acer Aspire laptop from W8.1 to W10, in the
> hope the free upgrade route still works for my friend.
>
> I've tried six times so far - keeps failing with a bald message (no code)
> "Windows 10 installation has failed". I've tried every workaround I could find
> online - still no joy. The "try this, then this..." sites all end up with a
> clean installation, but (as I understand it) that's more likely to demand a
> paid license for W10. Question: Is there anywhere you can get *legal* licenses
> at a healthy discount (if it turns out I need one)?

Win7 Pro licenses go for under a tenner. You can also just straight up
not bother to license it, all you lose is desktop backgrounds.

> Meanwhile, having discussed with the owner the likely loss of third-party
> applications, the next step is to Refresh the existing Windows installation (I
> have an image of the disk in case things go wrong). An attempt to run:
> DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
> .. failed (huge log file with many instances of the string "fail" in it!),
> which might be a clue to the underlying problem.

You've done all the appropriate disk checking, and making a backup clone
of the disk (which of course reads every file) and such already?

I always default to a blank reinstall, it saves everyone a vast amount
of time.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do."
-- Steven Brust

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<jabl89FkfsqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2037&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2037

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 27 Mar 2022 17:29:45 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:29 UTC

On 27 Mar 2022 at 18:27:55 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> On 27 Mar 2022 at 17:46:47 BST, "Philip Herlihy"
> <PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I've been struggling to upgrade an Acer Aspire laptop from W8.1 to W10, in the
>> hope the free upgrade route still works for my friend.
>>
>> I've tried six times so far - keeps failing with a bald message (no code)
>> "Windows 10 installation has failed". I've tried every workaround I could find
>> online - still no joy. The "try this, then this..." sites all end up with a
>> clean installation, but (as I understand it) that's more likely to demand a
>> paid license for W10. Question: Is there anywhere you can get *legal* licenses
>> at a healthy discount (if it turns out I need one)?
>
> Win7 Pro licenses go for under a tenner. You can also just straight up
> not bother to license it, all you lose is desktop backgrounds.

Also a' Win7 license that's been used like this seems to free up again
after a while, it's the generated Win10 license that gets noted down at
Microsoft's activation servers. So you can use it again, and it makes a
*different* win10 license each time.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted"
-- Bertrand Russell

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<MPG.3caac84d5ab388419899c7@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2038&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2038

From: PhillipH...@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 20:16:03 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 19:16 UTC

In article <xn0nfvgqr6y8ndm00l@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines wrote...

> On 27/03/2022 in message
> <MPG.3caaa556f85b8e079899c6@news.eternal-september.org> Philip Herlihy
> wrote:
>
> >I've been struggling to upgrade an Acer Aspire laptop from W8.1 to W10, in
> >the
> >hope the free upgrade route still works for my friend.
> >
> >I've tried six times so far - keeps failing with a bald message (no code)
> >"Windows 10 installation has failed". I've tried every workaround I could
> >find
> >online - still no joy. The "try this, then this..." sites all end up with
> >clean installation, but (as I understand it) that's more likely to demand a
> >paid license for W10. Question: Is there anywhere you can get legal
> >licenses
> >at a healthy discount (if it turns out I need one)?
> >
> >Meanwhile, having discussed with the owner the likely loss of third-party
> >applications, the next step is to Refresh the existing Windows
> >installation (I
> >have an image of the disk in case things go wrong). An attempt to run:
> > DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
> >.. failed (huge log file with many instances of the string "fail" in it!),
> >which might be a clue to the underlying problem.
>
> I have done recent "upgrades" with both Win7 & Win8 licences with no
> issues. It really is worth doing a clean install though.

Thanks for this - I have identified the license key, so I'll give this a go. A
clean install seems to be the only option - the seventh "upgrade" failed after
a Windows Refresh. No explanation, no error code...

--

Phil, London

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<MPG.3caac8cfae45a7c49899c8@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2039&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2039

From: PhillipH...@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 20:18:14 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 19:18 UTC

In article <jabl4rFkf7uU1@mid.individual.net>, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote...

> On 27 Mar 2022 at 17:46:47 BST, "Philip Herlihy"
> <PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I've been struggling to upgrade an Acer Aspire laptop from W8.1 to W10, in the
> > hope the free upgrade route still works for my friend.
> >
> > I've tried six times so far - keeps failing with a bald message (no code)
> > "Windows 10 installation has failed". I've tried every workaround I could find
> > online - still no joy. The "try this, then this..." sites all end up with a
> > clean installation, but (as I understand it) that's more likely to demand a
> > paid license for W10. Question: Is there anywhere you can get *legal* licenses
> > at a healthy discount (if it turns out I need one)?
>
> Win7 Pro licenses go for under a tenner. You can also just straight up
> not bother to license it, all you lose is desktop backgrounds.
>

> > Meanwhile, having discussed with the owner the likely loss of third-party
> > applications, the next step is to Refresh the existing Windows installation (I
> > have an image of the disk in case things go wrong). An attempt to run:
> > DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
> > .. failed (huge log file with many instances of the string "fail" in it!),
> > which might be a clue to the underlying problem.
>
> You've done all the appropriate disk checking, and making a backup clone
> of the disk (which of course reads every file) and such already?
>
> I always default to a blank reinstall, it saves everyone a vast amount
> of time.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Yes - disk is 100% healthy according to HD Sentinel, and I have the original
spinning disk which was cloned to a new SSD -also 100%.

--

Phil, London

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<MPG.3caac9c7ba291cbe9899c9@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2040&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2040

From: PhillipH...@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 20:22:24 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 19:22 UTC

In article <jabl4rFkf7uU1@mid.individual.net>, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote...

> On 27 Mar 2022 at 17:46:47 BST, "Philip Herlihy"
> <PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I've been struggling to upgrade an Acer Aspire laptop from W8.1 to W10, in the
> > hope the free upgrade route still works for my friend.
> >
> > I've tried six times so far - keeps failing with a bald message (no code)
> > "Windows 10 installation has failed". I've tried every workaround I could find
> > online - still no joy. The "try this, then this..." sites all end up with a
> > clean installation, but (as I understand it) that's more likely to demand a
> > paid license for W10. Question: Is there anywhere you can get *legal* licenses
> > at a healthy discount (if it turns out I need one)?
>
> Win7 Pro licenses go for under a tenner. You can also just straight up
> not bother to license it, all you lose is desktop backgrounds.

> Cheers - Jaimie

Generally my luck is such that I'd attempt to activate a new W10 installation
with a W7 license just after they finally pull the plug. I guess no-one is
(yet?) selling genunine W10 licenses at a discount? Of course it was always
possible to pay for an XP "license", but I saw a lot of machines which had had
their activation revoked, and I'd hate to leave my friend in that situation.

--

Phil, London

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<MPG.3caac9d338849cbf9899ca@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2041&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2041

From: PhillipH...@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 20:22:35 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 19:22 UTC

In article <jabl89FkfsqU1@mid.individual.net>, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote...

> On 27 Mar 2022 at 18:27:55 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
> <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>
> > On 27 Mar 2022 at 17:46:47 BST, "Philip Herlihy"
> > <PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> I've been struggling to upgrade an Acer Aspire laptop from W8.1 to W10, in the
> >> hope the free upgrade route still works for my friend.
> >>
> >> I've tried six times so far - keeps failing with a bald message (no code)
> >> "Windows 10 installation has failed". I've tried every workaround I could find
> >> online - still no joy. The "try this, then this..." sites all end up with a
> >> clean installation, but (as I understand it) that's more likely to demand a
> >> paid license for W10. Question: Is there anywhere you can get *legal* licenses
> >> at a healthy discount (if it turns out I need one)?
> >
> > Win7 Pro licenses go for under a tenner. You can also just straight up
> > not bother to license it, all you lose is desktop backgrounds.
>
> Also a' Win7 license that's been used like this seems to free up again
> after a while, it's the generated Win10 license that gets noted down at
> Microsoft's activation servers. So you can use it again, and it makes a
> *different* win10 license each time.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Golly: Microsoft really are perhaps more generous than they might realise!

--

Phil, London

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<bwE*XddKy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2042&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2042

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 27 Mar 2022 21:06:29 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 20:06 UTC

Philip Herlihy <PhillipHerlihy@slashdevnull.invalid> wrote:
> Generally my luck is such that I'd attempt to activate a new W10 installation
> with a W7 license just after they finally pull the plug. I guess no-one is
> (yet?) selling genunine W10 licenses at a discount? Of course it was always
> possible to pay for an XP "license", but I saw a lot of machines which had had
> their activation revoked, and I'd hate to leave my friend in that situation.

I saw these people mentioned in a StackOverflow post:
https://softwareking24.de/

Apparently there was a court case in Germany regarding the 'doctrine of first
sale' - basically, MS is allowed to sell a licence to somebody when a piece
of hardware is first sold, but they don't get to prevent that person selling
on the licence later. That means it's completely legit to sell on Windows,
Office, etc licences that have been offered as part of a bulk licensing deal
(perhaps with new hardware). And so Software King resell licences for cheap
(eg Office 2021 for EUR20, Office 2019 for EUR7).

I have no experience, but it sounds attractive.

Theo

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<t1qlfr$sf7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2043&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2043

From: nom...@home.org (The Other John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 21:38:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: The Other John - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 21:38 UTC

https://softwarebase.co.uk appear to be cheap and legal.

--
TOJ.

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<t1rn7k$gk3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2044&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2044

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 07:13:56 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:RpHZYi+lf7Bfc1e0jYYTdRTcSP4=
 by: Chris - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 07:13 UTC

Philip Herlihy <PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid> wrote:
> In article <jabl89FkfsqU1@mid.individual.net>, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote...
>>
>> On 27 Mar 2022 at 18:27:55 BST, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
>> <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

>>> Win7 Pro licenses go for under a tenner. You can also just straight up
>>> not bother to license it, all you lose is desktop backgrounds.
>>
>> Also a' Win7 license that's been used like this seems to free up again
>> after a while, it's the generated Win10 license that gets noted down at
>> Microsoft's activation servers. So you can use it again, and it makes a
>> *different* win10 license each time.
>>
>> Cheers - Jaimie
>
> Golly: Microsoft really are perhaps more generous than they might realise!

They really don't care anymore. You can run unactivated win10 indefinitely.
Some very minor functions are disabled, but that's it.

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<MPG.3cab9d5be64cfd019899cb@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2045&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2045

From: PhillipH...@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 11:25:08 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 10:25 UTC

In article <t1qlfr$sf7$1@dont-email.me>, The Other John wrote...

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:46:47 +0100, Philip Herlihy wrote:
>
> > Question: Is there anywhere you can get *legal* licenses at a healthy
> > discount (if it turns out I need one)?
>
> https://softwarebase.co.uk appear to be cheap and legal.

Much appreciated.

--

Phil, London

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<MPG.3caba01eb99205569899cc@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2046&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2046

From: PhillipH...@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 11:36:49 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 10:36 UTC

In article <bwE*XddKy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo wrote...

> Philip Herlihy <PhillipHerlihy@slashdevnull.invalid> wrote:
> > Generally my luck is such that I'd attempt to activate a new W10 installation
> > with a W7 license just after they finally pull the plug. I guess no-one is
> > (yet?) selling genunine W10 licenses at a discount? Of course it was always
> > possible to pay for an XP "license", but I saw a lot of machines which had had
> > their activation revoked, and I'd hate to leave my friend in that situation.
>
> I saw these people mentioned in a StackOverflow post:
> https://softwareking24.de/
>
> Apparently there was a court case in Germany regarding the 'doctrine of first
> sale' - basically, MS is allowed to sell a licence to somebody when a piece
> of hardware is first sold, but they don't get to prevent that person selling
> on the licence later. That means it's completely legit to sell on Windows,
> Office, etc licences that have been offered as part of a bulk licensing deal
> (perhaps with new hardware). And so Software King resell licences for cheap
> (eg Office 2021 for EUR20, Office 2019 for EUR7).
>
> I have no experience, but it sounds attractive.
>
> Theo

Much appreciated. Of course it may just be (as Chris suggested) that they
don't care much, or that they don't think the prize of enforcing compliance is
worth the effort. And it may be that (as often happens) the vendor is making a
case that sounds plausible to the legally naive (as I am) but wouldn't hold
water in court for a nanosecond. That in turn may depend on the jurisdiction.

I'm apparently unable to resell my house without imposing the stern condition
that the new owner MUST NOT erect any steam engines or detached outdoor
privvies (honest!), though I'm in breach myself of the covenant which requires
me to secure agreement for any new boundary fencing from a land agent which
ceased to exist many decades ago, and before the present house was built.

--

Phil, London

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<MPG.3caba0f76a6fe14e9899cd@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2047&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2047

From: PhillipH...@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 11:40:29 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 10:40 UTC

In article <t1qlfr$sf7$1@dont-email.me>, The Other John wrote...

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:46:47 +0100, Philip Herlihy wrote:
>
> > Question: Is there anywhere you can get *legal* licenses at a healthy
> > discount (if it turns out I need one)?
>
> https://softwarebase.co.uk appear to be cheap and legal.

Website's down at the moment!

--

Phil, London

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<t1sbtr$81v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2050&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2050

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 13:07:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:+Xp2kVyXDOYy9hfIjz9DDjY939w=
 by: Chris - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 13:07 UTC

Philip Herlihy <PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid> wrote:
> In article <bwE*XddKy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo wrote...
>>
>> Philip Herlihy <PhillipHerlihy@slashdevnull.invalid> wrote:
>>> Generally my luck is such that I'd attempt to activate a new W10 installation
>>> with a W7 license just after they finally pull the plug. I guess no-one is
>>> (yet?) selling genunine W10 licenses at a discount? Of course it was always
>>> possible to pay for an XP "license", but I saw a lot of machines which had had
>>> their activation revoked, and I'd hate to leave my friend in that situation.
>>
>> I saw these people mentioned in a StackOverflow post:
>> https://softwareking24.de/
>>
>> Apparently there was a court case in Germany regarding the 'doctrine of first
>> sale' - basically, MS is allowed to sell a licence to somebody when a piece
>> of hardware is first sold, but they don't get to prevent that person selling
>> on the licence later. That means it's completely legit to sell on Windows,
>> Office, etc licences that have been offered as part of a bulk licensing deal
>> (perhaps with new hardware). And so Software King resell licences for cheap
>> (eg Office 2021 for EUR20, Office 2019 for EUR7).
>>
>> I have no experience, but it sounds attractive.
>>
>> Theo
>
> Much appreciated. Of course it may just be (as Chris suggested) that they
> don't care much, or that they don't think the prize of enforcing compliance is
> worth the effort. And it may be that (as often happens) the vendor is making a
> case that sounds plausible to the legally naive (as I am) but wouldn't hold
> water in court for a nanosecond. That in turn may depend on the jurisdiction.

Tech is all about the platform these days so having more people with
windows as their platform is more important that making sure they've all
paid for it.

Obviously they're going to get as many to pay for it possible and deal
withthe most egregious "thefts", but you or I with single personal copies?
nah.

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<XOOdna_b84aGXdz_nZ2dnUU7-eHNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2052&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2052

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 15:03:04 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: use...@example.net (Andy)
 by: Andy - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:03 UTC

On 28/03/2022 14:07, Chris wrote:
> Philip Herlihy <PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid> wrote:

>>> I saw these people mentioned in a StackOverflow post:
>>> https://softwareking24.de/
>>>
>>> Apparently there was a court case in Germany regarding the 'doctrine of first
>>> sale' - basically, MS is allowed to sell a licence to somebody when a piece
>>> of hardware is first sold, but they don't get to prevent that person selling
>>> on the licence later. That means it's completely legit to sell on Windows,
>>> Office, etc licences that have been offered as part of a bulk licensing deal
>>> (perhaps with new hardware). And so Software King resell licences for cheap
>>> (eg Office 2021 for EUR20, Office 2019 for EUR7).
>>>
>>> I have no experience, but it sounds attractive.
>>>
>>> Theo
>>
>> Much appreciated. Of course it may just be (as Chris suggested) that they
>> don't care much, or that they don't think the prize of enforcing compliance is
>> worth the effort. And it may be that (as often happens) the vendor is making a
>> case that sounds plausible to the legally naive (as I am) but wouldn't hold
>> water in court for a nanosecond. That in turn may depend on the jurisdiction.
>
> Tech is all about the platform these days so having more people with
> windows as their platform is more important that making sure they've all
> paid for it.
>
> Obviously they're going to get as many to pay for it possible and deal
> withthe most egregious "thefts", but you or I with single personal copies?
> nah.

Philip this from britec explains activation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ahhewn1Gw

If you look at some of his other videos on his channel he is sponsored
by a license key seller and offers a discount code from britec which
will get you discount on the purchase of a key.

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<CrKdncV4zq2wXtz_nZ2dnUU7-U_NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2053&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2053

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 15:16:13 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: use...@example.net (Andy)
 by: Andy - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:16 UTC

On 28/03/2022 15:03, Andy wrote:
> On 28/03/2022 14:07, Chris wrote:
>> Philip Herlihy <PhillipHerlihy@SlashDevNull.invalid> wrote:
>>> In article <bwE*XddKy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo wrote...

>>> Much appreciated.  Of course it may just be (as Chris suggested) that
>>> they
>>> don't care much, or that they don't think the prize of enforcing
>>> compliance is
>>> worth the effort.  And it may be that (as often happens) the vendor
>>> is making a
>>> case that sounds plausible to the legally naive (as I am) but
>>> wouldn't hold
>>> water in court for a nanosecond.  That in turn may depend on the
>>> jurisdiction.
>>
>> Tech is all about the platform these days so having more people with
>> windows as their platform is more important that making sure they've all
>> paid for it.
>>
>> Obviously they're going to get as many to pay for it possible and deal
>> withthe most egregious "thefts", but you or I with single personal
>> copies?
>> nah.
>>

> Philip this from britec explains activation
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ahhewn1Gw
>
> If you look at some of his other videos on his channel he is sponsored
> by a license key seller and offers a discount code from britec which
> will get you discount on the purchase of a key.
details of 30% discount here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJiUasbtUh4

Hope that helps.

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<t1svhf$9jh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2054&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2054

From: nom...@home.org (The Other John)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 18:41:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: The Other John - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 18:41 UTC

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 11:40:29 +0100, Philip Herlihy wrote:

> Website's down at the moment!

Sorry, my mistake, the correct URL is https://softwarebase.uk there's
no .co

--
TOJ.

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<MPG.3cacec01430577809899ce@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2058&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2058

From: PhillipH...@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 11:12:55 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 10:12 UTC

In article <XOOdna_b84aGXdz_nZ2dnUU7-eHNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, Andy wrote...

> On 28/03/2022 14:07, Chris wrote:
> >

> Philip this from britec explains activation
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ahhewn1Gw
>
> If you look at some of his other videos on his channel he is sponsored
> by a license key seller and offers a discount code from britec which
> will get you discount on the purchase of a key.

Thank you - very useful, and all salted away.

--

Phil, London

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<MPG.3cacf09fc5ba26a09899cf@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2059&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2059

From: PhillipH...@SlashDevNull.invalid (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 11:32:35 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 10:32 UTC

In article <t1svhf$9jh$1@dont-email.me>, The Other John wrote...

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 11:40:29 +0100, Philip Herlihy wrote:
>
> > Website's down at the moment!
>
> Sorry, my mistake, the correct URL is https://softwarebase.uk there's
> no .co

Thanks. Daft of them not to register the .co.uk version as well!

--

Phil, London

Re: Cheap (legal) Windows 10 license?

<jag8osFgtfpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2060&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2060

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 12:27:22 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 11:27 UTC

Philip Herlihy wrote:

> The Other John wrote...
>
>> Philip Herlihy wrote:
>>
>>> Website's down at the moment!
>>
>> Sorry, my mistake, the correct URL is https://softwarebase.uk there's
>> no .co
>
> Thanks. Daft of them not to register the .co.uk version as well!

the .uk and .co.uk are both registered, both seem to use the same domain
registrar and DNS hosting, so probably the same owner, difficult to tell without
proper WHOIS details nowadays

they both point to different IP addrs, one just shows a white cat in a snowstorm