From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Media Server for Home Network
Date: 29 Mar 2022 15:16:29 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 15:16 UTC

As part of my fiddling about with desktops/servers etc. I want to stream
from the HP Z620 over my network. I installed the Windows Plex server as
perhaps the best known (?) but although it is described as "free" that
seems to be dependent on my giving away the family jewels together with a
picture of my todger.

I found "Universal Media Server" which does seem to be free and seems to
work quite well streaming to my Panasonic Blu-Ray and the Roku box.
Anything else worth considering or shall I stick with it?

Incidentally there is quite a difference in streaming on Panasonic -v-
Roku which seems to be because the Roku is built for streaming and perhaps
has a faster CPU and more memory (?) compared to the Panasonic.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The first five days after the weekend are the hardest.

Re: Media Server for Home Network

<ae1bf82b-83ba-4232-856e-643c925a5a2an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2066&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2066

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 14:58:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Media Server for Home Network
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 21:58 UTC

On Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 4:16:31 PM UTC+1, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> As part of my fiddling about with desktops/servers etc. I want to stream
> from the HP Z620 over my network. I installed the Windows Plex server as
> perhaps the best known (?) but although it is described as "free" that
> seems to be dependent on my giving away the family jewels together with a
> picture of my todger.
>
> I found "Universal Media Server" which does seem to be free and seems to
> work quite well streaming to my Panasonic Blu-Ray and the Roku box.
> Anything else worth considering or shall I stick with it?
>
> Incidentally there is quite a difference in streaming on Panasonic -v-
> Roku which seems to be because the Roku is built for streaming and perhaps
> has a faster CPU and more memory (?) compared to the Panasonic.
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
> The first five days after the weekend are the hardest.

I am no expert, but you can run Plex without having a Plex account -
or at least you used you be able to. I run a version of Plex ('rarflex') on
my Roku box for this very purpose. I have a home server with all my media
files and point Plex at that. My pi-hole DNS server has a black hole for
all roku addresses for good meaure ;-)

Having said that I would also be happy to hear of alternatives to Plex...

J^n

Re: Media Server for Home Network

<nvKdnSAXn57cCd7_nZ2dnUU7-ROdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2069&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#2069

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 00:20:32 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: no...@mail.com (JoeJoe)
 by: JoeJoe - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 23:20 UTC

On 29/03/2022 22:58, jkn wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 4:16:31 PM UTC+1, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>> As part of my fiddling about with desktops/servers etc. I want to stream
>> from the HP Z620 over my network. I installed the Windows Plex server as
>> perhaps the best known (?) but although it is described as "free" that
>> seems to be dependent on my giving away the family jewels together with a
>> picture of my todger.
>>
>> I found "Universal Media Server" which does seem to be free and seems to
>> work quite well streaming to my Panasonic Blu-Ray and the Roku box.
>> Anything else worth considering or shall I stick with it?
>>
>> Incidentally there is quite a difference in streaming on Panasonic -v-
>> Roku which seems to be because the Roku is built for streaming and perhaps
>> has a faster CPU and more memory (?) compared to the Panasonic.
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
>> The first five days after the weekend are the hardest.
>
> I am no expert, but you can run Plex without having a Plex account -
> or at least you used you be able to. I run a version of Plex ('rarflex') on
> my Roku box for this very purpose. I have a home server with all my media
> files and point Plex at that. My pi-hole DNS server has a black hole for
> all roku addresses for good meaure ;-)
>
> Having said that I would also be happy to hear of alternatives to Plex...
>
> J^n

I have been using both Plex and Serviio for years. Neither require an
account and the free version does everything I need.